PDA

View Full Version : Clean HOUSE ASAP!

LatrobePA
12-31-2007, 12:37 AM
T's coaching staff has LOST it's fire. The team has come out and played FLAT on O & D since week 9. It starts up top, Mike T then trickles down. 10-6 is great for a rookie coach, but to be honest this year could of been better.

Big f'n deal we made it to the po's we'll more than likely struggle to stop the run and get slammed again!

DBR96A
12-31-2007, 12:45 AM
Overreact much?

Face it; 2007 was supposed to be a transitory year, so I'd say we did OK in spite of the circumstances. Besides, Tomlin's still wet behind the ears as a head coach, and he's trying to coach a bunch of guys who were brought up under Bill Cowher. The players who liked Cowher the least seem to be playing the best of anyone under Tomlin, so maybe part of the issue is that Tomlin doesn't yet have the kinds of players he likes.

Dee Mca
12-31-2007, 01:03 AM
We need a new offensive co Ben isn't ever going to be the 35 to 40 passes a game QB it looks like they are wanting him to become. As long as I can remember the Steelers have always been a blue collar team. They run to set-up the pass and not pass to set-up the run. It may be Mike calling the shots but we all know the Rooneys wont fire a coach so the OC has to go.

Koopa
12-31-2007, 01:08 AM
are ppl actually going nuts over losing today??? it was obvious from the start that this team was satisfied with the 4th seed, they came out and didn't even try to play for the most part, no one should have expected a win tonight, if y'all did, then well..........

MDSteel15
12-31-2007, 01:43 AM
We could have won if moron Arians would have called for more passes, yes I said more passes, against a very inexperienced Ravens backfield. One regular, Ed Reed, played. They stopped our rookie RBs but didn't really effectively stop the pass except on 2 bonehead passes by Charlie.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-31-2007, 02:43 AM
are ppl actually going nuts over losing today??? it was obvious from the start that this team was satisfied with the 4th seed, they came out and didn't even try to play for the most part, no one should have expected a win tonight, if y'all did, then well..........

Yeah, I wanted to see us come out with fire and take this game to sweep the division but by the end of the first quarter it was evident these guys didn't have their head in the game.

That alone speaks volumes of the mindset of this team, that they can't or won't get up for a game every single week regardless of the stakes like the elite teams do. That must be rectified in the offseason, if we don't become mroe consistent we might as well not bother worrying about the playoffs because we'll just continue to be ousted.

Cleaning house though? that's not the answer...

Koopa
12-31-2007, 02:57 AM
Yeah, I wanted to see us come out with fire and take this game to sweep the division but by the end of the first quarter it was evident these guys didn't have their head in the game.

That alone speaks volumes of the mindset of this team, that they can't or won't get up for a game every single week regardless of the stakes like the elite teams do. That must be rectified in the offseason, if we don't become mroe consistent we might as well not bother worrying about the playoffs because we'll just continue to be ousted.

Cleaning house though? that's not the answer...

but we are FFFAAAARRRR from an elite team though, that's why i don't expect them to be up for every game, tomlin needs to get his guys, some players seem to be stuck on cowher...... and we should be used to the ousted from the playoffs though, that was the whole cowher era, if it wasn't for our fluke run to the superbowl that's all he'd be known for......

BlitzburghRockCity
12-31-2007, 03:03 AM
Trust me I know we're far from elite, not even close right now. I was really hoping that Tomlin would force that "cowheresque" attitude out of them and that we'd be more consistent but that's just going to take more time I guess.

Blitzburghpete
12-31-2007, 04:55 AM

Koopa yeah i'm expected at least a fighting spirit and a chance of winning last night. As a fan i'm paying out hard cash to watch these guys and don't expect a half arsed perfromance like i saw against the Ravens, even from backups. I'm disgusted with the way the team has been playing since NE. It's like the wind has been knocked out of them and they haven't got their breath back.

This has been one of the most frustrating seasons as a supporter as even when we had Malone, or Brister playing, we still gave it everything, even though we were crap, something this years Steelers seem incapable of doing.

I can't remeber one game this year when Offence/Defence/Special teams all played well for one sodding game together. I hope that that game is next week... somehow i doubt it ......

Prosdo
12-31-2007, 06:04 AM
Wow people are quick to start chucking people under the bus. Clean house? For real? First off this is a transition year like already stated. I will agree with bringing in a new offensive coordinator, but everyone? The guy is young and in his first year as HC. He made it to the playoffs. The great Chuck Noll went freaking 1-13 his first season! If people would have said fire the dude we would not have had the great dynasty that we did. Come on people calm down.

Ambridge
12-31-2007, 10:11 AM
Wow people are quick to start chucking people under the bus. Clean house? For real? First off this is a transition year like already stated. I will agree with bringing in a new offensive coordinator, but everyone? The guy is young and in his first year as HC. He made it to the playoffs. The great Chuck Noll went freaking 1-13 his first season! If people would have said fire the dude we would not have had the great dynasty that we did. Come on people calm down.

IMO the Steelers need to part company with some of the Assistant Coaches.
The first being O-line coach Larry Zierlein and Special Teams coach Bob Ligasheski.

Most of us agree that Arians needs to go but that's not happening anytime soon.

I'll say it again but I don't think Tomlin is the right fit for Pittsburgh.
Sure Tomlin obviously isn't like Noll or Cowher but do we have any clue what he's like at all. Smart Guy?...Tough Guy?...Quiet Leader? Who knows??

Maybe it's not fair to compare but the bottom line is that Bill Cowher brought a consistant Tough-Hard Nosed Mindset especially on defense. I'm not talking Rah-Rah stuff, yelling and spitting but the basic Mindset of "We're tougher than You on both sides of the ball and We're gonna kick your ***"!!

Too many games this season the Steelers have come out flat and looking un-prepared and uninterested and that doesn't speak well for Tomlin's way of doing things.

Being "Physical" isn't something a coach figures out how to teach as he gains experience. Either he has it or he doesn't.

SteelerSal
12-31-2007, 11:06 AM
The first being O-line coach Larry Zierlein and Special Teams coach Bob Ligasheski.

The only ***. Coach I feel needs to go is Arians. As for Zeirlein, Grimm would of had problems with the weak o-line that lacks in push and pass protection. The Steelers need to find stronger athletic o-lineman because the ones we ave are fat and sluggish.
As for the defense, the 3-4 zone blitz has been exposed and with Smith out, besides Hampton, the DE's are not big enough to stuff the gaps on on running plays and not quick enough for pass rush. The 4-3 defense is starting to look more apealing for next season providing we can plug in the right personell.
Sp. teams play has been alot better, not great, than in the past. There was not as many fumbles and we did not give up that many big returns that used to be common in the past.
Part of Arians problem, IMO, might be giving Ben to much freedom to change plays at the line of scrimmage. Instead of looking for the quick passes to keep drives going, alot of times it seemed like Ben would hold on to the ball to long and look for the big strike downfield.

steelcitysfinestXL
12-31-2007, 11:09 AM

Sure Tomlin obviously isn't like Noll or Cowher but do we have any clue what he's like at all. Smart Guy?...Tough Guy?...Quiet Leader? Who knows??

Maybe it's not fair to compare but the bottom line is that Bill Cowher brought a consistant Tough-Hard Nosed Mindset especially on defense. I'm not talking Rah-Rah stuff, yelling and spitting but the basic Mindset of "We're tougher than You on both sides of the ball and We're gonna kick your ***"!!

Too many games this season the Steelers have come out flat and looking un-prepared and uninterested and that doesn't speak well for Tomlin's way of doing things.

Being "Physical" isn't something a coach figures out how to teach as he gains experience. Either he has it or he doesn't.

Sorry to say it man but i couldnt agree with you less... in all six of our losses there has been one side of the ball fail and it hasnt been consistant. Its not like last year... in 2006 it started with the Ben, the oline, TO's leading to our d being on the field alll day tiring to the point of generating 0 pash rush.

This year our losses have come from one thing our D not being able to hold up for 60 minutes. In my opinion our offense has came to life even with a *****Y O -line. The D is very shakey to say the least and we still posted the number 1 d for the year. Its not that bad, we have been in every game (-New England) and i think we would all say were 6-10 plays from being 15-1!!!

The house cleaning should be on the field starting with O-line... and maybe, if at all, the Oline Coach. We should spent atleast 3 of our first 5 picks on OL. I dont care if we dont get rid of anybody, i just want there to be ALOT of competition at OL next year so when guys like Mahan and Simmons start sucking we can yank them. They should look for the most dominant T they can. Try Colon at G, i think he could shine at RG. Take a C win the 2nd or third. Then let Mahan and Simmons fight to the death for the LG spot after Faneca leaves us for a BIG PAY DAY!!!

As far as coach mike, i think he has had a great year and has made a big impact on the way this team plays. Yeah we might not be used to it, it may not be smash mouth, but take in consideration we had a Probowl Qb and a probowl RB behind one PITIFUL OL!!! Thats not too bad!!! We are screwing up on the field not on th sidelines... We're not getting a hat on a hat on the OL, and were arm/shoulder tackling on D!!! I put some blame on Mike but he cant make tackles, and he cant block a LB... these guys are pros they should already be able to do that!!! I give Mike a 7.5 out of 10 in his rookie season which aint bad at all!!!

SteelerSal
12-31-2007, 11:12 AM

The only ***. Coach I feel needs to go is Arians. As for Zeirlein, Grimm would of had problems with the weak o-line that lacks in push and pass protection. The Steelers need to find stronger athletic o-lineman because the ones we ave are fat and sluggish.
As for the defense, the 3-4 zone blitz has been exposed and with Smith out, besides Hampton, the DE's are not big enough to stuff the gaps on on running plays and not quick enough for pass rush. The 4-3 defense is starting to look more apealing for next season providing we can plug in the right personell.
Sp. teams play has been alot better, not great, than in the past. There was not as many fumbles and we did not give up that many big returns that used to be common in the past.
Part of Arians problem, IMO, might be giving Ben to much freedom to change plays at the line of scrimmage. Instead of looking for the quick passes to keep drives going, alot of times it seemed like Ben would hold on to the ball to long and look for the big strike downfield.

A player that has been over looked in importance has been Ryan Clark. When he went down with an injury in the beginning of the year, we lost alot of experience at the safety position. Clark played smart and never played out of position. Hate to say it but Smith is not the answer for the future of the team at FS.

steelcitysfinestXL
12-31-2007, 11:15 AM

:plus1: Now that i agree w/!!! If you watched ben in college he was quick passer, he needs to be in that type of offense and we can easily do that w/ this team!!! He can pass the ball 30+ times a game and be effective, IF he can get rid of the ball quick!!! Ask Tom Brady, a safe 6 yard pass is better than a good 4 yard run!!!! Ben can be that guy!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-31-2007, 11:16 AM

Tomlin's defense's have had that reputation of being sound tacklers, hard hitters, physical, and everytime he's coached a team they've vastly improved. He's got a proven track record for a young coach but this is territory that will take some time to sort out. He's done well with what he's had this year but it's obvious there is still work to be done. We were already a good team before he got here but this year has had it's ups and downs and it's a learning process. He mainly spent his entire first season with us trying to figure out the players and what he had to work with. Now that he's got a year under his belt he can reevaluate a little better and make the changes necesssary.

I think Tomlin will be fine but it will take some more time to figure out his personnel and coaches.

TEEMONT
12-31-2007, 11:46 AM
We need a new offensive co Ben isn't ever going to be the 35 to 40 passes a game QB it looks like they are wanting him to become. As long as I can remember the Steelers have always been a blue collar team. They run to set-up the pass and not pass to set-up the run. It may be Mike calling the shots but we all know the Rooneys wont fire a coach so the OC has to go.

I am and have been Ben's biggest cirtic here for a long time, and I want to know one thing, which Ben have you been watching this year? You do realize the kid could do that and more right? It's his O-line that sucks the hair off of my right testicle. Give Ben the same O-line as Tom Brady, and he is the MVP of the league, and you don't even have to give him Randy Moss.

You are right though Arians does suck, but Ben can handle 30-40 passes a game, IMO.

LatrobePA
12-31-2007, 03:15 PM
Overreact much?

Face it; 2007 was supposed to be a transitory year, so I'd say we did OK in spite of the circumstances. Besides, Tomlin's still wet behind the ears as a head coach, and he's trying to coach a bunch of guys who were brought up under Bill Cowher. The players who liked Cowher the least seem to be playing the best of anyone under Tomlin, so maybe part of the issue is that Tomlin doesn't yet have the kinds of players he likes.

I never said get rid of T, simply we have been exposed, our D has and BA's lame *** play calling. Think what you want our D sucks right now and our O isn't far behind it.

Koopa
12-31-2007, 03:40 PM
remember, aaron smith is missing, he's a HUGE part of our defense, probably the most underrated player on the defense, and it's shown since he got hurt....

Ambridge
12-31-2007, 03:55 PM
Sorry to say it man but i couldnt agree with you less... in all six of our losses there has been one side of the ball fail and it hasnt been consistant. Its not like last year... in 2006 it started with the Ben, the oline, TO's leading to our d being on the field alll day tiring to the point of generating 0 pash rush.

This year our losses have come from one thing our D not being able to hold up for 60 minutes. In my opinion our offense has came to life even with a shiat*Y O -line. The D is very shakey to say the least and we still posted the number 1 d for the year. Its not that bad, we have been in every game (-New England) and i think we would all say were 6-10 plays from being 15-1!!!

The house cleaning should be on the field starting with O-line... and maybe, if at all, the Oline Coach. We should spent atleast 3 of our first 5 picks on OL. I dont care if we dont get rid of anybody, i just want there to be ALOT of competition at OL next year so when guys like Mahan and Simmons start sucking we can yank them. They should look for the most dominant T they can. Try Colon at G, i think he could shine at RG. Take a C win the 2nd or third. Then let Mahan and Simmons fight to the death for the LG spot after Faneca leaves us for a BIG PAY DAY!!!

As far as coach mike, i think he has had a great year and has made a big impact on the way this team plays. Yeah we might not be used to it, it may not be smash mouth, but take in consideration we had a Probowl Qb and a probowl RB behind one PITIFUL OL!!! Thats not too bad!!! We are screwing up on the field not on th sidelines... We're not getting a hat on a hat on the OL, and were arm/shoulder tackling on D!!! I put some blame on Mike but he cant make tackles, and he cant block a LB... these guys are pros they should already be able to do that!!! I give Mike a 7.5 out of 10 in his rookie season which aint bad at all!!!

The one common denominator on both sides of the ball is a lack of intensity and aggressiveness.....and this has been slowly fading away throughout the year.
It's one thing to have a few players who are struggling it's also another thing to having entire units playing half-assed football.

Poor tackling/Poor Blocking........Sorry!! but when that happens on a continous basis that's on the Coaching Staff for not making corrections. Good and Great Coaches don't have that on their teams and if they do they get rid of the Dead-wood.

Prosdo
12-31-2007, 04:15 PM
The problems mostly are on defense and the ability to get off the field on third down and as we all know the offensive line. The Steelers need to take a serious look at the team this off-season. The O-line, defense, and running game need to be addressed.

Stairwayto7
12-31-2007, 06:42 PM
What we need is a replacement for Hagans! I think we have his already! And we need a replacement for Clark! Also we need another RB! An O-line men. We need a great free agency, we usually bale on all the talented players in fa!

K Train
01-01-2008, 12:03 AM
T's coaching staff has LOST it's fire. The team has come out and played FLAT on O & D since week 9. It starts up top, Mike T then trickles down. 10-6 is great for a rookie coach, but to be honest this year could of been better.

Big f'n deal we made it to the po's we'll more than likely struggle to stop the run and get slammed again!

just leave the earth....i really hate people like you, clean house...are you ****ing retarded? there is MUCH worse teams in the league and you need to realize that not every team can be new england...if every team cleaned house after a losing season there wouldmt be many coaches with long term jobs, let alone if they cleaned house after a 10-6 record, division win and a playoff home game....if we get killed this week this season will be known as a good year for tomlin and the oline issues will (better) be addressed...its a process and its not always quick.

But im sure the pittsburgh steelers apologize for not being good enough for you

catlabman
01-01-2008, 01:29 PM
just leave the earth....i really hate people like you, clean house...are you ****ing retarded? there is MUCH worse teams in the league and you need to realize that not every team can be new england...if every team cleaned house after a losing season there wouldmt be many coaches with long term jobs, let alone if they cleaned house after a 10-6 record, division win and a playoff home game....if we get killed this week this season will be known as a good year for tomlin and the oline issues will (better) be addressed...its a process and its not always quick.

But im sure the pittsburgh steelers apologize for not being good enough for you

I agree Ktrain, I think we'll see a different Steeler D on saturday, and hopefully the O-line will step up and give Ben a few more seconds. :markit::gs: I also think Tomlin will be a different coach next year, he seemed to be quiet and just looking over what he's got this year. We'll have a good draft and if the Rooney's allow it, hit the free agency and pick up some solid players. I still think we can beat the Jags and like Anthony Smith said, "We'll see the Pats in the playoffs.":tt02::2cents: