PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on Arians?...

BB2W
12-30-2007, 12:28 AM
What do you guys think of Arians so far?

I like his play calling most of the time, but at times it has been really bad in my opinion. I think he has really helped the passing game especially in the red zone. I like his use of the tight end, but I think Willie misses a lead blocker... I don't like the single back.

Overall, I like how much he involed Ben in the offense beyond Sundays and think I would like to see him back next year.

Iron City South
12-30-2007, 01:30 AM
I think he's probably a good guy, probably a great neighbor, probably rakes his leaves, cleans up his dogs mess and shovels his sidewalks.

As an OC, I think he's pure vanilla in a league that now requires OC's to be french vanilla fudge-nut swirl.

He's simple, too simple.

BB2W
12-30-2007, 01:49 AM
I think he's probably a good guy, probably a great neighbor, probably rakes his leaves, cleans up his dogs mess and shovels his sidewalks.

As an OC, I think he's pure vanilla in a league that now requires OC's to be french vanilla fudge-nut swirl.

He's simple, too simple.I think I know what you're saying... but please expand. :)

BlitzburghRockCity
12-30-2007, 02:01 AM
I think he has moments of brilliance followed up by moments of pure :banging: I give him credit for freely admitting mistakes when he's questioned about them after the game but in a league where every play counts for so much you just can't have calls like that on a regular basis. We need an OC that calls as near a flawless game as you can get and I can't remember the last time we had one of these to be quite honest. Whiz was a good OC but even he at times made you wonder how much Cowher was in him.

He's going to be back next year so we might as well get used to it because Ben loves him and the offense seems to like him in general also. I tell ya if he does falter watch for Ken Anderson to slide right into that job at some point.

BlitzburghNation
12-30-2007, 02:52 AM
Well we all blame him for the denver lack of running game,,,,,,, :dunno:
Maybe it was more Tomlin's fault "who knows"
There's a couple other games we blame him for,,,,,But honestly none of us know for sure,,,,,,,:scratch:
So I'm not gonna be so hard on the guy,,,,,,,,Not just yet anyways :dunno:
The jets,broncos,,,,,,,, Could be blamed on alot of things,,,,,,Mainly what it boils down to,,,,,is coaches coach & players play and we've come up short on a few games this year,,,,,, :cursin:
But one things for certain,,,,,,,We all pretty much got what we wanted "so far"
Win our division & have a shot at that 6th title ~~~~ :towelwave:

black an gold 4 life
12-30-2007, 03:05 AM
i really think we should get an new offensive coordinator, we need 2 mix it up n the beginning he was good, late n the season i thought bill COWARD was coaching again........................

Mach1
12-30-2007, 03:08 AM
He's WAY to predictable.

Friday133
12-30-2007, 09:46 AM
I agree with BB2W, I like how he got Ben involved from the get go in determining the terminology of the offense. To change coordinators now would be stupid IMHO, remember how many Kordel went through? I do think Arians needs to evolve though and learn from his mistakes.

BlitzburghNation
12-30-2007, 09:49 AM
I agree with BB2W, I like how he got Ben involved from the get go in determining the terminology of the offense. To change coordinators now would be stupid IMHO, remember how many Kordel went through? I do think Arians needs to evolve though and learn from his mistakes.

:clap: Well said :bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-30-2007, 11:42 AM

That is a plus that we sometimes forget about, that he has allowed Ben to become more involved in the plays and the gameplan and even letting him make some of his own calls on the fly. that is what great QB's do and something that Ben will continue to get better at. I'm not totally convinced that Arians can be a great OC, however given the lack of talent that he had to work with in Cleveland vs what he has here in Pittsburgh I'm willing to wait and see for now.

BlackGold4vr
12-30-2007, 12:51 PM
Tries to be too cute with the trick plays. First and goal on the one yard line calls for 'old school' 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Trick plays on the goal line beg for huge losses or turnovers at the worst possible time. If you are an OC and you don't have traditional plays in your book to score from the one yard line....I question that playbook! :scratch:

Power football guys! Man up, bring your balls, blow the other guys off the line and run it up the gut! Until we can do that again, I don't look for us to go anywhere in the playoffs. :nono:

yinzer
12-30-2007, 01:02 PM
he stinks

Mike Tomlin
12-30-2007, 01:22 PM
basicaly we have the same playbook from previous years, it's just shortened up. I think he makes good play calls it's just we haven't been in the position in the game for the plays to work the way they should. This team is built to be in short 3rd down situations, that way we can use our possesion threats.(Heath, Spaeth, Hines,Davenport. I don't think any team have more than maybe 5 plays for 3rd and long. I remember the year we won it all we were unstoppable on 3rd downs.

SteelerSal
12-30-2007, 01:34 PM
I would love to see Chan Gailey replace Arians, next season.

Iron City South
12-30-2007, 01:44 PM

I can support this campaign.

:plus1:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-30-2007, 02:19 PM

I hear Ray Sherman might be available too :greengrin:

Iron City South
12-30-2007, 02:37 PM
Gailey is proven in the role, Sherman hasn't proven to be worthy of a quality stadium beer vendor.

SteelerSal
12-30-2007, 03:50 PM
Before joining the Cowboys in 1998, Gailey spent the previous four seasons (1994-97) with the Pittsburgh Steelers, including each of the last two as offensive coordinator. His first two years there were spent tutoring the club's wide receivers. In his four seasons with the Steelers, the team won the AFC Central Division crown each time, appeared in the AFC Championship Game on three occasions and reached the Super Bowl. Pittsburgh finished second in the NFL in rushing offense in 1996, averaging 143.7 yards per game. In Gailey's final season with the Steelers, he presided over the league's top-ranked rushing team, averaging 154.9 yards per contest.

http://http://ramblinwreck.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/gailey_chan00.html

Besides keeping a strong smashmouth running game (Steeler football the way we love it) he made Neil O'Dummy look like a starting NFL QB. Imagine how our offense would be with Gailey calling the plays with Ben under center.

Ambridge
12-30-2007, 10:32 PM

When the Steelers changed coordinators with Kordell that's when Kevin Gilbride was brought in if I'm not mistaken.
Kevin Gilbride's offense has a reputation for its stupidity and creating nothing but confusion and failure for the QB so Kordell didn't have a chance.

Arians Offense flat out SUCKS and it's unfortunate that we'll have to suffer at least another season of his putrid play calling.

Personally I think Cam Cameron would be a great fit at OC......being more than likely that he wont be returning to Miami as HC.
Cameron is a much more balanced coordinator/play caller and would work wonders with Ben, Willie and Heath Miller.

Dee Mca
12-31-2007, 01:16 AM
I say tie a brick around his ankle and drop him into 1 of the 3-rivers. Ben is throwing way to much. I say 20 to 25 times a game Like his first 2 years where he went 26-6. Last 2 years he's thrown like 30 times a game and went 18-14. We need to go back to the run if not Ben will end up throwing his arm out. The Steelers will never be the Pats and Colts.

Ibleedblk&gld
12-31-2007, 01:22 AM
no problem w/ him, other than calling passing plays on 3rd and 2 the last few games...

MDSteel15
12-31-2007, 01:37 AM
Arians is a moron! Just ask Cleveland.....

Koopa
12-31-2007, 01:41 AM
I say tie a brick around his ankle and drop him into 1 of the 3-rivers. Ben is throwing way to much. I say 20 to 25 times a game Like his first 2 years where he went 26-6. Last 2 years he's thrown like 30 times a game and went 18-14. We need to go back to the run if not Ben will end up throwing his arm out. The Steelers will never be the Pats and Colts.

you can't really blame him for last year, everyone sucked dick, and his head kept getting smashed into things....... and his first two years we had a good line and a good running back....... now he's stuck with a dude that gets hit and falls back 3 yards, he has no choice but to throw more or we'd never move the ball........ but this year he's 10-5 and that's pretty good...... he has 32 tds and only 11 ints, so i'd say him thorwing

i hate arians.......

Dee Mca
12-31-2007, 01:48 AM
Ben is throwing those extra 5 or 6 passes a game that he really doesn't need to throw. We throw way to much in the red zone. 3rd and 1 don't try and pass. no reason why we should never not score when we have the ball 1st and goal inside the 5. I'm just stating what my friends and I discuss everyday about what is wrong with the Steelers and we all agree. We have been passing way to much. I know the line stinks. I know now that we don't have FWP anymore we need to pass now. The steelers will never be a West Coast/Fun-Gun Offensive unit.

Koopa
12-31-2007, 01:52 AM
Ben is throwing those extra 5 or 6 passes a game that he really doesn't need to throw. We throw way to much in the red zone. 3rd and 1 don't try and pass. no reason why we should never not score when we have the ball 1st and goal inside the 5. I'm just stating what my friends and I discuss everyday about what is wrong with the Steelers and we all agree. We have been passing way to much. I know the line stinks. I know now that we don't have FWP anymore we need to pass now. The steelers will never be a West Coast/Fun-Gun Offensive unit.

but willie is soft and can't pound it in, same for davenport, took him three tries to do it today......it's hard now that we don't have a good running back, so ben has to throw cause regardless it would end in 3 points

Prosdo
12-31-2007, 06:21 AM
I don't like Arians play calling in short yardage situations. I would honestly like to see someone else brought in.

portcityblackandgold
12-31-2007, 09:32 AM
This is the most success he has had as an OC and maybe it well inspire him to be better next year. Maybe he's a cunning genius waiting for the playoffs to unleash his offensive wizardry. Maybe he's just an average OC who'll be looking for a job if we lose to the Jaguars.

Dee Mca
12-31-2007, 11:36 AM
Of the 6 games we lost this year. How many of them would we have have if we just kicked the field goal instead of going for it? I can remember a few times we was in redzone and thru the int on or thru on 4th down or even tried to punch it in. You don't always have to go for 6 thats why theirs field goals worth 3!

TEEMONT
12-31-2007, 11:54 AM
rench vanilla fudge-nut swirl.

mmmmmm french vanilla fudge-nut swirl..........

Anyways, Arians is a Browns cast-off, they fired him, not the old Browns, bu tthe new Browns...nuff said.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------

but willie is soft and can't pound it in, same for davenport, took him three tries to do it today......it's hard now that we don't have a good running back, so ben has to throw cause regardless it would end in 3 points

It has nothing to do with the running back. The Bus couldn't pound it in with this O-Line. I know I am stealing this from somewhere (I can't remember where) but the term "power running back means nothing. Willie is just as strong as the BUs ever was, he just lacks a few pounds (about 30-40). The fact of the matter is, if the O-Line gets no push, then no RB will pound anything, (insert mom joke here).

Captcoolhand
12-31-2007, 12:24 PM
He sucks fire him.....:stirpot:

Iron City South
12-31-2007, 12:31 PM
It has nothing to do with the running back. The Bus couldn't pound it in with this O-Line. I know I am stealing this from somewhere (I can't remember where) but the term "power running back means nothing. Willie is just as strong as the BUs ever was, he just lacks a few pounds (about 30-40)

This statement about Parker is so far off-base it's almost comical. :lol:

Let it be said that Parker isn't half the RB the future HOF RB Bettis was (I'm not just talking poundage either) ....

Parker has speed .... that is it. Speed .... He offers nothing that an elite RB should offer such as vision, blocking, catching, shedding blocks, reading blocks, hip-movement, elusiveness, ... I can go on and on.

Some of you refuse to see this because you're so infatuated with his home-run or nothing .... speed.

TEEMONT
12-31-2007, 02:32 PM
This statement about Parker is so far off-base it's almost comical. :lol:

Let it be said that Parker isn't half the RB the future HOF RB Bettis was (I'm not just talking poundage either) ....

Parker has speed .... that is it. Speed .... He offers nothing that an elite RB should offer such as vision, blocking, catching, shedding blocks, reading blocks, hip-movement, elusiveness, ... I can go on and on.

Some of you refuse to see this because you're so infatuated with his home-run or nothing .... speed.

So tell me with a straight face that the Bus would be able to "pound" it in with this line.

Iron City South
12-31-2007, 02:35 PM
Make no mistake about it, this line is bad .... real bad. When you have a line as bad as this one, it makes having a low-running fat back that much more valuable. Their running style and extra-poundage compensate for the shortcomings of this sub-par group. Bettis was also gifted with great footwork and uncanny elusiveness for a big guy. He knew how to work the smallest seams to get 3 yards.

There was nobody better at getting the "hard yard" than Bettis ... NOBODY.

There, I said it with a straight face ...