PDA

View Full Version : My ideas for improving the offensive line for 2008

DBR96A
12-28-2007, 06:09 PM
HOW TO IMPROVE THE OFFENSIVE LINE FOR 2008

1. Move Kendall Simmons to C. After his diabetes, he doesn't have to body of a G anymore. He played some C at Auburn, so the transition shouldn't be too foreign for him. Keep Darnell Stapleton as the backup C.

2. Move Willie Colon to RG. He doesn't have the wingspan to be a T, but he has the right kind of attitude for an offensive lineman. Keep Chris Kemoeatu as the backup RG.

3. Draft Jeffrey Otah from Pitt to be the new RT. Sign a cheap free agent to be the backup RT.

4. Re-sign Max Starks and keep him at LT. Either sign a cheap free agent to be the backup LT, or use a "day two" draft pick on one. Cut Marvel Smith and Trai Essex.

5. Draft a LG on "day one" to be the new LG. Use Sean Mahan as the backup LG. Let Alan Faneca walk.

There! Now the offensive line is all fixed up for 2008! :yesnod:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-28-2007, 08:43 PM
They aren't going to release Marvel, the only way he doesn't return next year is if his back injury that requires surgery would somehow be career threatening. Remember this is the same guy that did very well for us at both RT and LT over the last several years so he will be back. I wouldn't mind seeing move back to RT to see how he does but overall LT hasn't been the main issue although it has been a concern just like the rest of the positions, it's more an issue with pressure right up the middle IMO.

Starks value may have dropped some this year since he didn't play much so he might want to return to us for a lesser amount and I'd be willing to see how he does at LT because he's done OK with the limited amount of reps he's gotten.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-28-2007, 09:23 PM
The Steelers should draft a LT and a center.....Move Smith to RT and move Colon to OG.......Let Simmons, Mahan and if they draft another OG also all battle for the final OG spot.....Thats the plan to fix the Oline....

SteelerNut
12-28-2007, 09:25 PM
We should get that center from Chicago

Silverback 92
12-28-2007, 10:03 PM
beating a dead horse I know but it would be nice to keep A.F.

K Train
12-28-2007, 10:10 PM
it wouldve been nice to keep porter too...we ended up ok...**** faneca, hes not anywhere near good enough to get the money he wants

BlitzburghNation
12-28-2007, 10:54 PM
Hire Russ Grimm ~~~~~ :haha:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-28-2007, 11:19 PM
it wouldve been nice to keep porter too...we ended up ok...**** faneca, hes not anywhere near good enough to get the money he wants

This year none of them are worth the money they are earning...the entire line needs a serious reality check and after this season I think it's a safe bet that some of them won't be back next year. This unit has gotten completely out of whack over the years and it's time to retool it and get some good draft picks.

Stlrs4Life
12-29-2007, 12:13 PM
Move Mahan to LG, draft a Center, keep Simmions at RG.

Iron City South
12-29-2007, 04:51 PM
For the record: Simmons doesn't deserve to be on the field as a starter. He can't play Guard, why in the hell would I want to see that diabetes-laden stiff over Center?

Blitzburghpete
12-30-2007, 05:43 AM
Only Willie colon has impressed me on the line this year. I think he would be better at RG too though.
However we need to check the film to see who has been responsible for the amount of sacks we've given up and take things from theire.
Mahan couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag let alone move a defensive player downfield, M Smith was eaten alive by the Jags, backup DE Spicer, Faneca is just riding the bus of how great his name is these days, although he's still a good G, i don't think he's gonna be worht the money he will want to get this offseason, and Simmons, average.

We need to draft a complete O Line .... IMO every positition could do with upgrading on the line one way or another.

Anyone got Derromoniti's or Mike Websters phone number?

Zachintosh66
12-30-2007, 01:24 PM
I wouldnt mind this...
RT - Starks/Colon
RG - Kemo
C - Simmons
LG - Colon/Rook/FA
LT - Smith (flip Smith over might better suit Starks/Colon, if we dont bring in anyone else)

Steelers OL FA's
OG Alan Faneca UFA - gone
OG Chris Kemoeatu RFA - expect to tender
OT Trai Essex RFA - on the bubble, but prolly tender
OT Max Starks UFA - hes done decent @ RT, just dont move back to LT

NFL OL FA's
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o286/heffrandotnet/CMCapture1-3.png

Anyone stand out? Any wish list guys?

Black@Gold Forever32
12-30-2007, 04:14 PM
Draft a LT and a C.....Move Colon to OG and Smith to RT.....Let Simmons, Mahan battle for the other OG spot...Its that simple....