PDA

View Full Version : Teammates shun Roethlisberger

Iron City South
12-27-2007, 06:27 PM
BIG BEN STILL NOT A BIG MAN IN LOCKER ROOM?

In 2005, we heard plenty of rumors that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger isn't one of the most popular guys among Steelers players. A Super Bowl win diluted such talk, and his popularity took a back seat last season to his near-death experience after driving a motorcycle into a car.

This year, we'd assumed that everything had changed. Apparently, it hasn't. :dunno:

Though Roethlisberger wasn't named a team captain at the start of the season, the fact that Hines Ward received the nod for the offense didn't raise eyebrows. More recently, after having one of the better passing seasons of any quarterback in franchise history, Roethlisberger wasn't named the MVP of the team.

The award, determined via a vote of players, was given to linebacker James Harrison, an undrafted defender who started for the first time this year.

Not to take anything away from Harrison, but how could it not have been Big Ben? :dunno:

It surely wasn't a product of his performance; we can only assume that there's something else that prompted players not to vote for Roethlisberger.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

K Train
12-27-2007, 06:30 PM
this wasnt to spite ben, harrison deserved it....these articles are gay they just try to mix **** up

GoBenGo
12-27-2007, 06:41 PM
BIG BEN STILL NOT A BIG MAN IN LOCKER ROOM?

In 2005, we heard plenty of rumors that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger isn't one of the most popular guys among Steelers players. A Super Bowl win diluted such talk, and his popularity took a back seat last season to his near-death experience after driving a motorcycle into a car.

This year, we'd assumed that everything had changed. Apparently, it hasn't. :dunno:

Though Roethlisberger wasn't named a team captain at the start of the season, the fact that Hines Ward received the nod for the offense didn't raise eyebrows. More recently, after having one of the better passing seasons of any quarterback in franchise history, Roethlisberger wasn't named the MVP of the team.

The award, determined via a vote of players, was given to linebacker James Harrison, an undrafted defender who started for the first time this year.

Not to take anything away from Harrison, but how could it not have been Big Ben? :dunno:

It surely wasn't a product of his performance; we can only assume that there's something else that prompted players not to vote for Roethlisberger.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
WTF somebody passin notes in home ec? Train nailed it, don't really think any of them are really eaten up with who likes who more:bluelol::bluelol:
Just the media fishing :stirpot:
Big is a winner, I think you will find more would rather play with him than against him.:yesnod: they can learn to like that.:greengrin:

BB2W
12-27-2007, 06:43 PM
harrison deserved it.I disagree... Ben was the best player on this team all year long. :dunno:

K Train
12-27-2007, 06:48 PM
sometimes guys like harrison that step up big time filling in for someone of porters caliber that arent expected to do much, with 2 rookie high draft pick LBs breathing down his neck deserves it...he stepped up big time and exceeded expectations

GoBenGo
12-27-2007, 06:49 PM
I disagree... Ben was the best player on this team all year long. :dunno:
playing devils advocate, Big played up to his potential as expected. Harrison exceeded expectations .:scratch::dunno:
And I drive the BIG BEN bandwagon, but everyone knew Ben was good.:yesnod::dunno:

Friday133
12-27-2007, 06:53 PM
Last time I read the MVP it meant Most Valuable Player. James Harrison had a good year, Ben Roethlisberger had an MVP type of year. He got screwed.

BB2W
12-27-2007, 07:03 PM
I understand what you guys are saying, but I would sooner say Ben lost because he split the offensive votes between Parker and maybe Ward. Players tend to vote for those that play on their unit.

Harrison had a good year, but it was avaerage aside from the forced fumbles. I'm not taking them away from him, but you just need a lot more sacks to even come close to what Ben did statistically... not to mention everything else he brings to the table on Sundays.

Harrison had just five sacks over a now 14 game span... not MVP numbers for an OLB in our defense.

I think Ben got robbed.

Stlrs4Life
12-27-2007, 07:06 PM
I stopped reading when it said Pro Football Talk. Probably the most bogus web site on the net.

AZ_Steeler
12-27-2007, 07:50 PM
I don't think we can read into this too much. Ben will have plenty of chances to be voted the team MVP where Harrison coming into the league as an undrafted free agent you just know his days are number in the league because undrafted players just don't last that long.

Ambridge
12-27-2007, 08:03 PM
Last time I read the MVP it meant Most Valuable Player. James Harrison had a good year, Ben Roethlisberger had an MVP type of year. He got screwed.

I agree!! Ben got the shaft on team MVP.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-27-2007, 08:29 PM
I stopped reading when it said Pro Football Talk. Probably the most bogus web site on the net.

:iagree: PFT is a bunch of **** !! All they do is stir up trouble among the fans and try to look like they know what they are talking about. This article is bogus and you guys are reading way too much into this whole thing..LOL it's not like Ben isn't respected or valued..he's the QB and a damn good one, the best we've had since Bradshaw but this is a team that loves it's defense and as I pointed out before also the Steelers don't usually vote QB's as their MVP.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-27-2007, 08:36 PM
su
:iagree: PFT is a bunch of shiat !! All they do is stir up trouble among the fans and try to look like they know what they are talking about. This article is bogus and like I said in the other thread you guys are reading way too much into this whole thing, it's not like Ben isn't respected or valued..for Pete sake he's the QB but this is a team that loves it's defense and as I pointed out before also the Steelers don't usually vote QB's as their MVP.

Usually the Steelers QBs have sucked besides Terry and Ben....lol I don't know I'm really bothered by the selection of James Harrison as team MVP....32 TD passes and sets single season club record vs 8 Sacks......:lol:

Ben's season was special were Harrison had just a good one....This team doesn't sniff the play-offs without Big Ben this year....

BlitzburghRockCity
12-27-2007, 08:38 PM
That's very true, Ben is a HUGE reason that we're in the playoffs. He's had the best year of any Steelers QB in history, I'd have no problem at all with him getting the MVP and if you ask me they should have voted for co-mvp's in Harrison and Roethlisberger. However given the Steelers history we just don't vote QB's as MVP's very often. Bradshaw could have been voted MVP atleast 6 or 7 times in his career if not more but he was on a team that was dominated by defense and that's the same as it is now. Pittsburgh is a defensive minded team regardless of who's on offense and that's usually the way players vote.

$teeler$guy
12-27-2007, 08:55 PM
he is a great player im glad for him

Friday133
12-27-2007, 09:09 PM
PFT isn't as bad as everyone has said, in fact they have broken many stories this year.

BB2W
12-27-2007, 09:11 PM
PFT isn't as bad as everyone has said, in fact they have broken many stories this year.It's not complete garbage... but neither is Inside Edition. :dunno:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-27-2007, 09:18 PM
PFT writes articles that do nothing but try and stir the pot. They hold zero credibility as far as I'm concerened. Anybody can break stories but it takes good journalists to write articles that are thought provoking as well as fact and not just 1 sided rhetoric IMO.

DIESELMAN
12-27-2007, 09:26 PM
I'm sure everybody has a lot of respect for each other in that locker room, getting or not getting the team MVP shouldn't create any controversy, if it does.....thats pretty petty.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-27-2007, 09:28 PM
This just proves that Steelers fans are the most sickest fans when it comes to their football team...We're debating over the team MVP...lol

DIESELMAN
12-27-2007, 09:29 PM
This just proves that Steelers fans are the most sickest fans when it comes to their football team...We're debating over the team MVP...lol
No doubt :lol:

Iron City South
12-27-2007, 09:30 PM
But as someone astutely pointed out, MVP means exactly that "Most Valuable Player" .... there is no other player on this team that is, or has shown to be more valuable to the success of this team than Ben Roethlisberger.

Harrison was more worthy of Defensive Player of the Year as voted by the team.

PFT is onto something. Regardless of how you slice it, nominating Harrison MVP was a sign of disrespect weather earned or unearned by BR.

Ben Roeth needs to be doing some soul searching right now and asking himself some tough questions as to how and why this happened.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-27-2007, 09:33 PM
No doubt :lol:

I wouldn't want it any either way also.....:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:: banana:

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------

But as someone astutely pointed out, MVP means exactly that "Most Valuable Player" .... there is no other player on this team that is, or has shown to be more valuable to the success of this team than Ben Roethlisberger.

PFT is onto something. Regardless of how you slice it, nominating Harrison MVP was a sign of disrespect weather earned or unearned by BR.

Ben Roeth needs to be doing some soul searching right now and asking himself some tough questions as to how and why this happened.

Ben does some soul searching in the off-season on why he wasn't team MVP and uses it for motivation for next year...Then just goes ape **** in the regular season throwing for over 3800 yards and 40 TDs....lol Leading the Steelers to a Super Bowl victory....

BlitzburghRockCity
12-27-2007, 09:33 PM

Ben Roeth needs to be doing some soul searching right now and asking himself some tough questions as to how this happened.

Dude, you're seriously reading way too much into this. I'm quite sure Ben knows he's respected by his team and coaches. It's not like the dude sits by himself in meetings, on the team bus, or never gets to hang out with the guys after a win to celebrate. This team will go as far as Ben takes them, and Ben will go as far as the OL takes them but the point is the Steelers just do not vote QB's as MVP's very often. You can say this team would have never won 4 Super bowl's without Bradshaw and you'd be right but he was only voted MVP twice. Pittsburgh is a team that lives, eats, and breathes defense, that's how it's always been and it's only in the last couple years that the offense has started to really get the credit it deserves and Ben is the reason for that.

You also can't say how it happened on offense either. I mean Willie Im sure got a lot of votes as did Hines so you have atleast 3 guys on offense splitting votes and the defense all votes for defense so it makes sense when you look at it that way.

The only soul searching Ben has to do is how to find out more ways to elude the pass rush that is never blocked for him.

BB2W
12-27-2007, 09:34 PM
I'm sure everybody has a lot of respect for each other in that locker room, getting or not getting the team MVP shouldn't create any controversy, if it does.....thats pretty petty.I know what you are saying and you can't question the vote as a player, but Ben knows what happened.

He either split votes with other offensive players, or he isn't as well liked by his teammates as he or I thought.

I just can't see how he wasn't voted MVP by his teammates. I wonder what the fans would have voted. :dunno:

DIESELMAN
12-27-2007, 09:36 PM
Silverback being named team MVP could also be a motivational tool for him to step up his game with the playoffs coming up.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-27-2007, 09:36 PM
I know what you are saying and you can't question the vote as a player, but Ben knows what happened.

He either split votes with other offensive players, or he isn't as well liked by his teammates as he or I thought.

I just can't see how he wasn't voted MVP by his teammates. I wonder what the fans would have voted. :dunno:

I think SA should take a vote in who they think the 2007 Steelers MVP was....Thats a great idea....

Lets vote on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Iron City South
12-27-2007, 09:37 PM
The only soul searching Ben has to do is how to find out more ways to elude the pass rush that is never blocked for him.

another reason this as a direct smack in the face to Roethlisberger. His escapability alone warrants MVP honors.

BlitzburghRockCity
I think SA should take a vote in who they think the 2007 Steelers MVP was....Thats a great idea....

Lets vote on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

We are doing that, after the last game...stay tuned

DIESELMAN
I wonder what the fans would have voted. :dunno:
I'm sure with the reaction here and other sites I've been to, the fans would've voted for Ben.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-27-2007, 09:39 PM
another reason this as a direct smack in the face to Roethlisberger. His escapability alone warrants MVP honors.

It's not a slap in the face. The fact is that defense sticks together and offense sticks together, that's how it is. The defense all votes for their guy which is obviously harrison no question and the offense splits it's votes between Ben, Hines, and Willie.

Friday133
12-27-2007, 11:07 PM
I wonder now if Ben will want to sign an extension with this team. Its obvious he's not well liked in the locker room. Would he really want to finish his career here?

DIESELMAN
12-27-2007, 11:10 PM
I wonder now if Ben will want to sign an extension with this team. Its obvious he's not well liked in the locker room. Would he really want to finish his career here?
Now that this breaking story is out, I doubt it. He'll sign with someone else next year.....:banana3:

Friday133
12-28-2007, 02:01 AM
Now that this breaking story is out, I doubt it. He'll sign with someone else next year.....:banana3:

I hope he does, at least he'll be appreciated! :tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-28-2007, 06:00 AM
This thread is just dripping with Sarcasm...

:whistle:

Stlrs4Life
12-28-2007, 09:51 AM
Like said, info came from PFT.

GoBenGo
12-28-2007, 10:22 AM
guess that is why the O line can't block for him...:greengrin:

:sux: not because of your guy's thoughts and opinions, just the fact that this is an issue at all... :willybs:

Silverback 92
12-28-2007, 10:54 AM
I remember when maddox went down and Ben started he always said he wasnt a team leader, he would give credit to others for their success as a team...I think he tried to avoid the leadership roll but it kindda caught up with him any way....

catlabman
12-29-2007, 11:17 AM
If we get an O-line that will protect Ben, what do you think he will do next year? He's going to have one hell of a year in 2008, guaranteed!!!:bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-29-2007, 11:54 AM
I remember when maddox went down and Ben started he always said he wasnt a team leader, he would give credit to others for their success as a team...I think he tried to avoid the leadership roll but it kindda caught up with him any way....

I was at that game when Tommy went down and Ben was thrust into the spotlight. Considering the circumstances of that game you could see even then that Ben was going to be something special.

That was also the day that Porter layed out Heap and knocked him out of the game! :lol:

BlackGold4vr
12-29-2007, 12:00 PM
Big Ben aint going anywhere! No way the Rooney's let Ben go. Any discussion about great quarterbacks must include Ben. If you were to rank all starting quarterbacks in the league, only Peyton Manning and Tom Brady could rank ahead of Ben. Get him a decent O-line that can run block and protect him and he is only going to get better! Ben can bring more Lombardi's to Pittsburgh if we can take care of him. He stays!

:bigthumb:

Whodat
12-29-2007, 06:44 PM
i thought ben had the better year and harrison had a real great monday night game

BlitzburghRockCity
12-29-2007, 07:48 PM
Big Ben aint going anywhere! No way the Rooney's let Ben go. Any discussion about great quarterbacks must include Ben. If you were to rank all starting quarterbacks in the league, only Peyton Manning and Tom Brady could rank ahead of Ben. Get him a decent O-line that can run block and protect him and he is only going to get better! Ben can bring more Lombardi's to Pittsburgh if we can take care of him. He stays!

:bigthumb:

Couldn't have said it any better myself ! :bigthumb:

BlitzburghNation
12-29-2007, 10:52 PM
:ditto:

Stairwayto7
12-30-2007, 12:36 PM
I disagree... Ben was the best player on this team all year long. :dunno:

MVP! Ben Hands down from start to finish! He had few bad games even in the 3-0 game over Miami.

Most improved player- Harrison!

Ben got robbed

PsychoWard
12-30-2007, 12:44 PM
MVP! Ben Hands down from start to finish! He had few bad games even in the 3-0 game over Miami.

Most improved player- Harrison!

Ben got robbed

i agree just imagine would ben could do if our O line was better!!!!:yellowthumb:

Iron City South
12-30-2007, 12:48 PM
Keep in mind, the team MVP is voted by the players on the team. Meaning, there's something that BR is doing, or not doing, that's not earning the respect of his peers. So what could it be? :scratch:

If this was truly about performance alone, BR was a hands-down slam dunk to win it. So clearly, BR's performance this season was overlooked by his teammates.

BenRoeth got "jobbed" by his teammates. :yesnod:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-30-2007, 01:18 PM
Ben's performance is respected by his peers, anybody that thinks it wasn't really needs to rethink. Ben does his talking on the field and prefers to give the credit to his teammates. He's said that countless times, he prefers to not be the focus of attention. The Steelers don't normally vote QB's the MVP of the team, look at my post on the last page you can see they just don't do it very often. Ben will get to be MVP there is no doubt of that but players that usually get it are LB's, defensive players, some WR's etc., and it has nothing to do with the respect that you think Ben doesn't get.

You think the Steel Curtain teams didn't respect Terry Bradshaw??? Of course they did but he only made MVP twice so what does that tell you??? A whole lotta nothing !! Terry was respected, so is Ben. Like I said you guys are reading WAY too much into this.

Iron City South
12-30-2007, 01:48 PM
Ben's performance is respected by his peers, anybody that thinks it wasn't really needs to rethink. Ben does his talking on the field and prefers to give the credit to his teammates. He's said that countless times, he prefers to not be the focus of attention. The Steelers don't normally vote QB's the MVP of the team, look at my post on the last page you can see they just don't do it very often. Ben will get to be MVP there is no doubt of that but players that usually get it are LB's, defensive players, some WR's etc., and it has nothing to do with the respect that you think Ben doesn't get.

You think the Steel Curtain teams didn't respect Terry Bradshaw??? Of course they did but he only made MVP twice so what does that tell you??? A whole lotta nothing !! Terry was respected, so is Ben. Like I said you guys are reading WAY too much into this.

Your point is moot on several levels. First of all, you can't compare what the teams of the 70's did because the vaunted 70's defense (i.e. Steeler Curtin) was truly the identity of the team and they (pick one) were dominant beyond words. The offense, regardless of how good, was always second fiddle. Not the case today where we are supposed to be this new Colts style of high-powered offense led by a franchise QB. Our defense as a whole isn't good enough to warrant itself as the identity of our team. They are an average bunch.

Secondly, Roethlisberger can't be the leader this team needs him to be and say, "I don't want to be the focus of attention" .... Sorry, it doesn't work like that. It comes with the territory of the QB actually being the leader. You can command attention and still give credit to your teammates. Manning does it pretty well. Perhaps because Ben refuses to be the stand-up leader that he keeps getting passed over? I don't know.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-30-2007, 03:34 PM
Yes it does work like that and no my point is my moot. Football is Football in the city of Pittsburgh. Teams focus on defense and the running game first, not the passing game. That's the way it is and the way it will be. Our offense is not second fiddle but that's the way the players vote when it comes to QB's and MVP's, they just don't do it because history tells us that. It was the same with Noll, Cowher, and now Tomlin..some things just don't change. Ben has the respect of his locker room and for you to say that he doesn't when you have no proof other than just an MVP honor for 2007 when you don't even know how the voting of the players came out and how many Ben got is just crazy.

Please dude, stop beating this same dead horse because Ben is here, he wants to be here, he likes it here, the fans love him, Arians likes him, so does Tomlin and his players. There's no reason to think that anybody on this team disrespects him because there has never been any indication of it anywhere. This 2007 MVP does not prove anything other than history just continuing to follow suit as it has for the last 30 some years...

SteelerSal
12-30-2007, 03:54 PM
There's no reason to think that anybody on this team disrespects him because there has never been any indication of it anywhere.

I agree.:yellowthumb: To many people here are looking into this award a little to deep and coming up with far out crazy conclusions instead of maybe realising that before the season when the team got rid of a defensive and team leader (Porter), Harrison stepped into his shoes and played with alot higher expectations than we hoped for.
I would love to know who Ben voted for, maybe that lucky player was Harrison?

Black@Gold Forever32
12-30-2007, 07:39 PM
It was clear today who the MVP of this team was....lol The Steelers would be a 6-7 team with Batch starting...lol Plus MVP James Harrison had a quite game....I like James Harrison but he doesn't warrant being MVP of this team....