PDA

View Full Version : If the Steelers play the Jags first game...

Troyisabeast_43
12-25-2007, 01:36 PM
Times have changed. I believe this Steeler team is half finesse and half smash mouth. I also believe Jacksonville is 100% smash mouth.

Conclusion: the Steelers have an advantage if the field and conditions are close to optimal. We have a much better passing attack than Jacksonville. I look for Ward, Holmes and Miller to be a big part of a Steeler win in the opening round of the playoffs.

I do not fear Jacksonville. Yes, they are hot, but they are a team that is predictable and easy to prepare for. It is just going to come down to who wants it more. I think the following will lead to a win in the rematch:

> the weather favored Jacksonville last time and minimized our passing attack and big play ability; with better weather, win gain a big edge

> the memory of a recent loss to the Jags (the Steelers will show up for this one and play 60 minutes of football)

> a defense who wants to redeem itself against the run and who will have this foremost on their mind in the week leading up to the game; I think the Steelers have the players to stop Jacksonville's running game (unlike some teams in the league).

> Big Ben got a good look the first time around which will help in in this one

> The QB matchup favors Pittsburgh big time; Ben is seasoned now and I do not see him making any big mistakes; QB play critical in the playoffs and I look for a loose Ben and a tight Garrard.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-25-2007, 03:52 PM
I agree with many of your points........I think the Steelers skill positions players in the passing game are much better.....Only thing I think the Jags have a much better OL and running game then the Steelers especially with Fast Willie out....

Keys to the game for the Steelers...

1. Protect Big Ben-So we can win that advantage in the passing game....Hit big plays early in the game and try to force the Jags to abandon the run game...

2. Stop the Run-The defense doesn't totally have to shut their running game down...But don't allow those big plays in the run game....The Steelers defense must maintain their gap responsibility and finish the tackle....The Steelers defense tackled very poorly against the Jags.....

To me these two things were the biggest issues the last time these two teams played...

Stlrs4Life
12-25-2007, 05:02 PM
Agree on a lot. But also remember that they will know our weak points also.

black an gold 4 life
12-25-2007, 05:05 PM
if we play steeler ball n the playoffs we'll go far, if not we will just have 2 regoup that's all looking at us i don't c us going deep n2 the playoffs this year , but if we play the jags i'm confident also that we will beat them this time also...................................

TampaSteelGirl
12-25-2007, 05:14 PM
We seriously need that O line to step up and protect Ben first off and our Defense needs to play like the top Defense in the NFL that they are named! I don't agree that the weather was favorable for the Jags last time, they are a warm weather team and we are a cold weather team, that being said, they Jags are hot and can seem to play in any weather or situation so we really need to bring our A game! I know we can definately beat them, we just have to stay confident and play the best Steeler football we can! Aint' no shame in playing your very best!! :tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-25-2007, 06:00 PM
I agree with many of your points........I think the Steelers skill positions players in the passing game are much better.....Only thing I think the Jags have a much better OL and running game then the Steelers especially with Fast Willie out....

Keys to the game for the Steelers...

1. Protect Big Ben-So we can win that advantage in the passing game....Hit big plays early in the game and try to force the Jags to abandon the run game...

2. Stop the Run-The defense doesn't totally have to shut their running game down...But don't allow those big plays in the run game....The Steelers defense must maintain their gap responsibility and finish the tackle....The Steelers defense tackled very poorly against the Jags.....

To me these two things were the biggest issues the last time these two teams played...

That's about the long and short of it right there. With the Jags you know what you're going to get and it's just a matter of us stepping up to the plate an executing it. Our best chance is to take our opening possession and drive right down for a TD and put them on the defensive. The faster we can get up on them the more one dimensional we can make them. I have no problems with our DB's against their WR's and our passing game is superior to theirs but when they start running like crazy it's hard to stop them so it's all about stopping the run with that team; if you can do that and basically dare them to throw you can beat them.

It's the same philosphy the Redskins took with the Vikes the other night. Sell out to stop the run, stack the line like crazy and dare them to beat us in the passing game.

LarryNJ
12-25-2007, 06:40 PM
We seriously need that O line to step up

How sweet that would be. :greengrin:

I think that we'll beat the Jags even if the OL plays as sorry as they have been the last 2 years. We'll never win the second game unless they do step it up.

Iron City South
12-25-2007, 06:47 PM
We will not beat the Jags. They have more talent, they play more physical, and we don't come close to their size.

The only way we beat them is if they turn over the ball and start making some huge mistakes. We will also need some luck.

Troyisabeast_43
12-25-2007, 08:14 PM
We will not beat the Jags. They have more talent, they play more physical, and we don't come close to their size.

The only way we beat them is if they turn over the ball and start making some huge mistakes. We will also need some luck.

Steelers will feed off that first meeting and take it personal I believe and not let the samethings that happened to them the first meeting happen this time. Make no mistake about it the Steelers will have to play much much better this time around but they still have a much more experienced team and QB in Ben in the playoffs who is capable of carrying this team when he needs too, and it will be very very tough for the Jags no matter how good people think they are to come in here and beat the Steelers twice in 3 weeks at Heinz Field. Will find out I guess here in about 2 weeks, but who knows the Steelers might not even be playing the Jags and could be playing the Browns or Titans depending upon what happens this weekend with the Chargers.

Mike Tomlin
12-25-2007, 08:35 PM
The truth is Jags ran right where Aaron Smith was supposed to be. Travis just couldn't hold up at the point of attack and they kept hittin us all night. If you don't agree watch the final drive when they won the game and watch where those running plays went and tell me that Smith wouldn't have made that difference.Matter of fact just watch #90 the whole game. Also they won't get Ben as much because we have a back know that will get 3 yards on the regular and keep Ben those 3rd and longs so he won't have to drop back so long. Now we can get our big plays from the play action and run out the clock.

catlabman
12-26-2007, 08:42 AM
Steelers will feed off that first meeting and take it personal I believe and not let the samethings that happened to them the first meeting happen this time. Make no mistake about it the Steelers will have to play much much better this time around but they still have a much more experienced team and QB in Ben in the playoffs who is capable of carrying this team when he needs too, and it will be very very tough for the Jags no matter how good people think they are to come in here and beat the Steelers twice in 3 weeks at Heinz Field. Will find out I guess here in about 2 weeks, but who knows the Steelers might not even be playing the Jags and could be playing the Browns or Titans depending upon what happens this weekend with the Chargers.

I agree Troy, I don't think the Steelers will lose this first playoff game. We can't let them win 2x at home. The Steelers have a lot to play for in this first game of the playoffs. I want us to play the Pats again, I don't think it will be the same as last time.

steelcitysfinestXL
12-26-2007, 10:25 AM
I have no doubts that we CAN beat J-Ville... its simple stop the run early and put up points early and often if we can hold them to 7 or less and put up 3 quick TD's we can force them to pass more than run which plays into our hands... aslong as we can get to Gerrard!!

Outside of that, if we DO beat the Jags i wouldnt be so certain we wouldnt be headint to Indy rather than Up to Foxboro... i really think that if the browns get into the playoffs they can give SD a game (even though they showed ZERO sign of heart against the bungles)

Either way we need to beat the Jags not only to save the season, but also to save face!!!!

Infern0
12-26-2007, 11:06 AM
My opinion is we need to step back and not worry about who we are facing, rather how bad we are going to kick their ***. If we are on top of our game and the conditions are right, we can give any team in either league a run for their money.

Ambridge
12-26-2007, 05:36 PM
The Jags gained a lot of confidence coming into Heinz Field and smacking the Steelers around a few weeks ago.......they know they can win in Pittsburgh and homefield advantage will be a non-factor.

The Steelers will get bounced in the first round unless they get Cleveland or maybe Tenn.

LarryNJ
12-26-2007, 08:19 PM
My opinion is we need to step back and not worry about who we are facing, rather how bad we are going to kick their ***.

That's the players and coaches attitude. Hopefully they believe it!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-26-2007, 09:39 PM
That's the players and coaches attitude. Hopefully they believe it!

That's the opinion any NFL player or coach will tell you, let's just hope they believe it and are ready for anything. :bigthumb:

DIESELMAN
12-26-2007, 10:07 PM
Its on the players to remember how they got punched in the mouth a few weeks ago. They need to taste that blood and get pissed the **** off. No one comes into Heinz field and smacks us around!!!!! Its payback time!!!!!

floodcitygirl
12-26-2007, 10:31 PM
Its on the players to remember how they got punched in the mouth a few weeks ago. They need to taste that blood and get pissed the **** off. No one comes into Heinz field and smacks us around!!!!! Its payback time!!!!!Absolutely agree! If they don't remember, they can ask me. It was a freaking cold and wet day to sit thru for a loss. :cursin::cope:

Iron City South
12-26-2007, 10:44 PM
The Jags gained a lot of confidence coming into Heinz Field and smacking the Steelers around a few weeks ago.......they know they can win in Pittsburgh and homefield advantage will be a non-factor.

The Steelers will get bounced in the first round unless they get Cleveland or maybe Tenn.

Is the right answer. Some of you homers give this Steelers team too much credit for being a physical bunch. Guess what? They're not! They're not close to being one of the more physical teams in the league. They can get pissed about getting punched in the mouth a few weeks ago all they want, it won't change the fact that the bigger, more physical team will do it again should they get the opportunity.

Make no mistake about it. This Jacksonville team is talented, balanced, and hungry .... very hungry. Much hungrier than our team. They've been working hard for the past 5 years to get where they are now and they're not going to let it slip away.

DIESELMAN
12-26-2007, 10:55 PM
Is the right answer. Some of you homers give this Steelers team too much credit for being a physical bunch. Guess what? They're not! They're not close to being one of the more physical teams in the league. They can get pissed about getting punched in the mouth a few weeks ago all they want, it won't change the fact that the bigger, more physical team will do it again should they get the opportunity.

Make no mistake about it. This Jacksonville team is talented, balanced, and hungry .... very hungry. Much hungrier than our team. They've been working hard for the past 5 years to get where they are now and they're not going to let it slip away.
All I'm sayin and I say this from experience, is when you get punched in the mouth like the Steelers did a few weeks ago, you would think that these guys would dig down deep inside and play like they can. Whether the Jags are more talented or not counts for only so much, its who wants it more thats going to determine the outcome of the game. Your right the Jags are hungry but they might be a little over confident coming back into Heinz field thinking that just because they beat us once they can beat us again. I try and keep a positive attitude about our Steelers no matter the state of the team or their record. Call me a homer if you want, but at least I'm not on here saying the Steelers have no chance whatsoever and are going to lose week in and week out. So come game day when we play the Jags make sure you tune into a 'Friends" rerun or a cooking show since you don't believe the Steelers have a chance. :helmet:

Iron City South
12-26-2007, 11:14 PM
Well, just so we don't jump to conclusions and assume I don't want them to win, I absolutely do. I just don't see it happening all things being considered. Therefore I won't allow myself to be disillusioned by visions of grandeour.

Stairwayto7
12-26-2007, 11:23 PM
Our defense will need to step up big time! And we need to protect Ben. We were in the last game, but could not count on the defense to make ONE stop!

BR7
12-27-2007, 04:07 AM
It's the same philosphy the Redskins took with the Vikes the other night. Sell out to stop the run, stack the line like crazy and dare them to beat us in the passing game.

Didn't we do that? lol. ****, we had what.. 7, 8 in the box? Taylor still ran like we were rushing one defender while the other 10 had their backs to the line.

Jax is tough. Real tough. I want the rematch just so we can get some redemption, but I am also in favor of Oakland giving SD a beatdown while we take care of business against the Rats. That way we get either the fluke Titans or even better.. the Clowns.