PDA

View Full Version : Which is more important?

Preacher
12-24-2007, 06:24 AM
I have been thinking through this issue, and can't come up with an answer.

Do we play for seeding, or do we rest our players. Which one is more important.

If we play for seeding, there is a chance that we get the Browns/Tenn. in the first round, and Indi in the second round.

However, I am wondering if we are too hurt and too exhausted to make it to the second game of the playoffs. If that is the case, I would rather rest our players and face Jax in the first round. Sure, they beat us, but our defense looked very tired, and we STILL were driving to tie the game. Also, if the Browns/Tenn. happen to beat the Chargers, they STILL go to NE and we still go up to indi (not that I expect that to happen).

SO the question is... Do we play our regs, and take the easier road with more tired players... or rest our regs, and take the harder road with recuperated players?

SteelersWoman
12-24-2007, 08:46 AM
My opinion is that we should play our starters in the first half, then use back-ups in the second. If we're in front, that is. No sense playing them the whole game unless we have to--but I do think they should have SOME playing time--no rust that way.

Stairwayto7
12-24-2007, 09:01 AM
Play to win! We need to get on a roll! We haven`t been on a roll in along time! We need to build confidence, and we have some new starters now, Davenport , Carter and such! Jags are on a roll, we do not want to play them first!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-24-2007, 10:31 AM
We touched on this in another thread but at this point we don't have the luxury to rest our starters because we can still get that 3rd seed in the playoffs. If we had no way of moving up or down in the seeding or already had a bye in the first round then maybe we rest them but you've got to play the regulars in IMO. We haven't been consistent since the first 6 games of the season and we've lost 2-3 games we've played. You can't limp into the playoffs losing 3-4 and expect to do anything. Starters get rusty and in the playoffs you can't let yourself get behind early because it's do or die.

If we were get up on the Ratbirds and have a decent lead at halftime then maybe we start to pull starters especially at RB since Najeh is all we have with experience. Russel and Davis could use the reps that's for sure. I think if the Chargers win tonight we have to play our guys.

Stlrs4Life
12-24-2007, 10:53 AM
I say play the starters. The OL definately needs the reps.

stillers4me
12-24-2007, 11:25 AM
We'll need to play the starters for the seed.......and look what happened to Indy in '05. They rested Manning and some starters for the playoffs and came out flat. Play Ben and the starters (and some of them aren't really even starters.....they need the play time together) until we have a comfortable lead. Charlie and company can hold them off from there.

Iron City South
12-24-2007, 11:34 AM
The only 2 players I would rest are Ben Roth and Polamalu. The rest need the work.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-24-2007, 11:39 AM
The only 2 players I would rest are Ben Roth and Polamalu. The rest need the work.

I think Troy could definitely use the work considering how many games he's missed this year. :yesnod: I think he's about as healthy as he's going to get this year.

DIESELMAN
12-24-2007, 11:45 AM
Most definitely start everybody, like Cleve said, we need to go into the playoffs on a roll, injuries are going to happen no matter what. They can happen in the Balt game or they can happen on the first drive of the playoffs, either way, they are inevitable. PLAY TO WIN!!!!!

Greygrizzly
12-24-2007, 12:32 PM
I agree these guys need to play. they need to keep their timing on offense.
And I personally am very tired of see not only our defense but almost every NFL defenses players hitting and not wrapping up. Wrapping up is absolutely basic football yet our defense along with most of the league depend on the hit knocking the offensive player top the ground.

Troyisabeast_43
12-24-2007, 01:31 PM
We touched on this in another thread but at this point we don't have the luxury to rest our starters because we can still get that 3rd seed in the playoffs. If we had no way of moving up or down in the seeding or already had a bye in the first round then maybe we rest them but you've got to play the regulars in IMO. We haven't been consistent since the first 6 games of the season and we've lost 2-3 games we've played. You can't limp into the playoffs losing 3-4 and expect to do anything. Starters get rusty and in the playoffs you can't let yourself get behind early because it's do or die.

If we were get up on the Ratbirds and have a decent lead at halftime then maybe we start to pull starters especially at RB since Najeh is all we have with experience. Russel and Davis could use the reps that's for sure. I think if the Chargers win tonight we have to play our guys.

Even if they lose to the Broncos tonight the Steelers still have to play their guys because if they lose to Baltimore on Sunday and the Chargers beat the Raiders Sunday the Chargers still win the tiebraker. So the bottom line is either way whether the Chargers win tonight or lose tonight to Denver the game on Sunday will still mean something against the Ravens because they cannot lose that game to the Ravens if they want to have a chance to get the 3 seed. The 3 seed matters because you get the Titans and Browns first as opposed to the Jags first followed by Indy instead of the Pats.

DIESELMAN
12-24-2007, 01:49 PM
We can hope and pray as fans as far as who "we" want us to play. I seriously hope the players are wanting the Jags and not hoping not to play them. Its a psychological thing, If you start wanting the #3 seed just so you don't play the Jags, then its over before you have even played a game. This is the playoffs, you have to be ready to play anybody!!

Troyisabeast_43
12-24-2007, 02:48 PM
We can hope and pray as fans as far as who "we" want us to play. I seriously hope the players are wanting the Jags and not hoping not to play them. Its a psychological thing, If you start wanting the #3 seed just so you don't play the Jags, then its over before you have even played a game. This is the playoffs, you have to be ready to play anybody!!

Here's the tiebreaker situation, if Pit and SD are tied at 11-5, SD will have 9 conf wins vs 8 for Pit. If they are tied at 10-6, SD will have 8 conf wins vs 7 for Pit. SD wins any tiebreaker. To get the #3 seed, the Steelers need to have a better record than SD. But tonight's game doesn't lock up anything. If SD loses, they can still be #3 if they beat Oak, and the Steelers lose vs Balt.

Not sure how much of a big deal it is to be #3 instead of #4. Granted at #3 you get Cle/Tn and then play Indy if you win, where the #4 gets Jax and you most likely have to play New England their first game which you would like to avoid as much as possible. But you're gonna have to beat the best eventually. But you would rather have somebody like the Jags play the Pats first assuming they would beat the Chargers in a 4 vs 5 matchup which I think they would because I think they matchup very well versus the Pats and have an actual shot at possibly taking them out before you ever see them. That's why I feel its so important to possibly be 3 over 4 with the Jacksonville ex factor with us playing them and not matching up very well, and the Jags possibly playing the Pats in the divisional round and eliminating them before you would have to play them.

Iron City South
12-24-2007, 03:09 PM

Agreed. If Tomlin is the coach I think he is, he should have already instilled a mindset within the locker room that says, "It doesn't really matter who we play, just let us play."

Troyisabeast_43
12-24-2007, 03:11 PM
In a perfect scenario, we would get the 3 seed and play the Titans. The Jags would play the Chargers and win. Then, the Jags beat the Pats, and the Steelers beat the Colts. Then it's Jags-Steelers in Pittsburgh.

The likelihood of this scenario happening is pretty darn slim, though. I can dream, can't I?

Iron City South
12-24-2007, 03:19 PM
The likelihood of this scenario happening is pretty darn slim, though. I can dream, can't I?

Sure you can dream it. Hell, we can all even dream that the Steelers are the calibler of team that can hang round longer than anything beyond the 1st round. Doesn't mean they are .... or that it's actually going to happen.

Pretending sure is fun though.

DIESELMAN
12-24-2007, 03:32 PM
Not sure how much of a big deal it is to be #3 instead of #4. Granted at #3 you get Cle/Tn and then play Indy if you win, where the #4 gets Jax and you most likely have to play New England their first game which you would like to avoid as much as possible. But you're gonna have to beat the best eventually. But you would rather have somebody like the Jags play the Pats first assuming they would beat the Chargers in a 4 vs 5 matchup which I think they would because I think they matchup very well versus the Pats and have an actual shot at possibly taking them out before you ever see them. That's why I feel its so important to possibly be 3 over 4 with the Jacksonville ex factor with us playing them and not matching up very well, and the Jags possibly playing the Pats in the divisional round and eliminating them before you would have to play them.
I see where your coming from but me personally, we should welcome any and all comers into Heinz field in the first rd, whether its the Jags or not. Like you said, to be the best you have to beat the best. We should be motivated as it is with this being the playoffs, but having the Jags come back with a bitter taste in our mouth from just a few weeks ago should motivate us even more. Plus I think that beating Jax at home, in the playoffs would help the teams confidence even more going into the 2nd rd, no matter who we play. :helmet:

Black@Gold Forever32
12-24-2007, 03:40 PM
I see where your coming from but me personally, we should welcome any and all comers into Heinz field in the first rd, whether its the Jags or not. Like you said, to be the best you have to beat the best. We should be motivated as it is with this being the playoffs, but having the Jags come back with a bitter taste in our mouth from just a few weeks ago should motivate us even more. Plus I think that beating Jax at home, in the playoffs would help the teams confidence even more going into the 2nd rd, no matter who we play. :helmet:

I'm with you and I agree....I don't care who we play...I'm just glad the Steelers made it....Plus I would like to beat the Jags in the play-offs that would be sweet....

Preacher
12-24-2007, 04:19 PM
I don't know.

I really wonder, if we rested out players, if they would be able to perform at a higher level and give us a better shot at going deeper into the playoffs.

Of course, hitting a groove with our offense just may be the best thing... then again, right now I am just as worried about our defense. They look very tired.

Iron City South
12-24-2007, 04:23 PM
Are you the same "Preacher" that posts over @ that fag-*** Steeler Nation site with Nazi Mods that ban anyone that is not like-minded?

Black@Gold Forever32
12-24-2007, 04:28 PM
Are you the same "Preacher" that posts over @ that fag-*** Steeler Nation site with Nazi Mods that ban anyone that is not like-minded?

I was banned from there for calling their site a joke....:lol:

Iron City South
12-24-2007, 04:44 PM
I was banned from there for calling their site a joke....:lol:

Other than the official propaganda site Steelers.com where dissent of any kind is not allowed, Steeler Nation has to be thee worst board on the web. They run it like staunch Homeowners Association in a gated community of snobby baby-boomers. If you disagree with anyone on their staff, or dare have an opinion that differs from theirs, you're banned. You can't even debate a mod without 3 others mods jumping in to help their fallen and rather embarassed comrad.

Preacher
12-24-2007, 11:11 PM
Yes... it is the same.

However, I come over here for the same reason I am there... to talk about the Steelers...

I really don't care what anyone's opinions here is about the other forum, and I don't care what their opinion is about this forum.

So, which is better.... to rest and take the tougher road.. or not rest, and possibly take the easier road with a defense that seems to be a lot more tired.

Iron City South
12-24-2007, 11:55 PM
Hey, to each their own I always say. I'm not knocking you for posting over there. I just didn't care for the experience I had with that site.

Never went back.

BlitzburghNation
12-25-2007, 12:12 AM
Not really concerned on whch road we have to take,I just want us going in full strength & healthy,,,,,, :towelwave:
I say rest the starters after 1st quarter !

Preacher
12-25-2007, 12:25 AM
Not really concerned on whch road we have to take,I just want us going in full strength & healthy,,,,,, :towelwave:
I say rest the starters after 1st quarter !

Especially after the Chargers won tonight... Since they play the Raiders next week, I say go ahead and play the backups.

We are going to have a tough road to hoe... Jax.. then the Pats.. then the Colts... and on to the SB to beat Dallas for the 3rd time in 4 tries.

(Yeah.. I know I am dreaming. Jax will be a tough game... and the Pats, well, we will probably need a miracle to win that game).

DIESELMAN
12-25-2007, 12:48 AM
(Yeah.. I know I am dreaming. Jax will be a tough game... and the Pats, well, we will probably need a miracle to win that game).

No miracles....just straight up focused, mean, nasty with a **** you up attitude.

catlabman
12-25-2007, 11:54 AM
I agree that we should play to win, if we have a good lead going into the half then maybe put in Batch and some of the seconds. We need a win to keep our momentum going. either way, 3rd or 4th seed, I think we can make it at least to the second round and maybe futher. I think it all depends on Arians calls.

black an gold 4 life
12-25-2007, 05:18 PM
sandiego should smash oakland so we will play the jags at our house again,rest ben an the other hurt starters, i personally don't want us 2 go far n the playoffs this year, i want 2 wait untill next year when we cause all kind of havoc next year watch u all our young l.b's will b unstoppable next year, we need 2 shore up the problems we r having this year an watch out next year we will b n the super bowl if we take care of the problems we have this year an not only b there but we will win it all next year.........remember this post u all................................

BlitzburghRockCity
12-25-2007, 05:57 PM
No miracles....just straight up focused, mean, nasty with a **** you up attitude.

The last time we had that attitude was the Ratbird game when we blew them out. I haven't seen it since but you're right from here on out it's got to be 100%, total, non stop, kicking *** and taking names if we're going to do anything in the post season.

LarryNJ
12-25-2007, 06:31 PM
In a perfect scenario, we would get the 3 seed and play the Titans. The Jags would play the Chargers and win. Then, the Jags beat the Pats, and the Steelers beat the Colts. Then it's Jags-Steelers in Pittsburgh.

The 4th seed would be better..We beat Jags, Browns beat Chargers..we go to NE and win, the browns win in Indy...AFC Championship Pittsburgh vs Cleveland in Pittsburgh!! :tt02::cope:

Now that I woke up! :) Whoever can get healthy by not playing should sit, all that aren't hurt should play. Don't worry about getting injured but rest the injured. If we want to make it to the Superbowl we are going to have to win at home, at NE at Indy in what order the last 2 come and whowe play in the home game doesn't matter.

Preacher
12-26-2007, 02:37 AM
Hey, to each their own I always say. I'm not knocking you for posting over there. I just didn't care for the experience I had with that site.

Never went back.

Actually... I may have been mistaken... I post at another site that has had many posters come over here... or post in both places.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-27-2007, 07:01 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07361/844706-66.stm?cmpid=HBEHTML

Thursday, December 27, 2007
By Colin Dunlap, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Charlie Batch won't be handing off to Willie Parker, but the veteran quarterback might get playing time Sunday.What goes into all this? What approach do you take?

Do you alter things? Do you treat everything the same?

Those are questions the playoff-bound Steelers (10-5) -- and, more precisely, the coaching staff -- will answer Sunday, when they travel to Baltimore to square off against the Ravens (4-11) in AFC North Conference clash.

While the Steelers know they will be on the field in a playoff game next week, there is a delicate balance that needs to be danced upon this Sunday -- does coach Mike Tomlin play the reserves against Baltimore, with winning a secondary concern, or does he stick with the personnel that got the team to this point this season?

"There are two ways to it," Steelers receiver Hines Ward said. "Whatever coach decides, that is what we will do. It is not our decision if we want to play or not. So it really doesn't matter, as players, what we think. The coach knows what is best for his team and he knows individually which guys are banged up and what not. We just have to prepare like any other game."

In truth, there is something still caught in the balance of this Sunday's affair. A Steelers' win at Baltimore, coupled with a San Diego loss at Oakland, will give the Steelers the AFC's No. 3 seed.

Regardless of whether the Steelers win or lose against Baltimore, they will fall to the No. 4 seed if San Diego wins against Oakland.

In either event, the Steelers will play host to a playoff game next weekend at Heinz Field.

If the Steelers earn the No. 3 seed they will play either Cleveland or Tennessee. If the Steelers earn the fourth seed, they will play Jacksonville, a team that defeated them, 29-22, two weeks ago at Heinz Field.

"It is out of our control," Ward said of the Steelers' seeding. "We are just going out and trying to win against Baltimore. We won our division, we know we are in the playoffs and we just have to have that mindset that we cannot look down the line. We just have to play and Baltimore is our next game."

The team's playoff seeding isn't paramount to Steelers left guard Alan Faneca, either.

"I don't care, three or four, we are in," Faneca said. "[The] three or four [seed] doesn't matter, it just changes who we are playing."

But there is someone who could benefit a great deal from the fact that, in the large scheme of things, winning or losing does not mean all that much to the Steelers this week.

That is backup quarterback Charlie Batch, who, to this point, has thrown five passes this season. But, with a lingering ankle injury to starter Ben Roethlisberger and in the interest of keeping his backup sharp, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin undoubtedly will play Batch for a period of time against Baltimore.

"Each week is a different scenario for me, but the one thing that is always the same is that I don't know," Batch said. "But I know this week that, at some point, I will see that action. Now, will that come in the first quarter, will that come in the fourth quarter, I don't know."

As for Baltimore's motivation, linebacker Bart Scott summed up his squad's mindset, saying, "If I get hurt, I got all year to rest up. I gotta use all this juice, no need to save any for the reserve tank."

Last season, the Steelers faced a similar quandary, making a final-week trip to Cincinnati after being mathematically eliminated from the postseason.

"For us, when we had tough times, even last year, we looked at it very simply," Batch said. "We would go into games like this one Baltimore is going into and say, 'Hey, Let's finish this thing out strong.'

"Not to speak for them, but that is how we always looked at it when we were faced with a similar situation,"