PDA

View Full Version : Field Turf

Friday133
12-21-2007, 09:48 AM
I'd like to hear everyones thoughts on field turf, especially after Parker broke his leg. It looked to me his leg got stuck on the turf. Does everyone still think Heinz Field needs it? I don't at all, keep the grass!

K Train
12-21-2007, 10:00 AM
bring on the turf...our field gets aboused way to much, the turf had nothing to do with the injury...players play on this **** all year long and are fine, cant blame a broken leg on turf, you could however blame a few injuries on ****** feild conditions

turf=awesome

heinz field grass=joke

TEEMONT
12-21-2007, 10:14 AM
This is my quote from the Parker injury thread...

I know we dont want this to turn into another grass vs turf thread, but seriously I highly doubt this injury would have happened on grass. This is a typical turf injury, I highly doubt we see the Rooneys switch to turf now.

On another note, I stopped by my high school field the other night, since they had type II turf put in, and it feels amazing. However, I still think football should be played on grass, it's a crime against the sport to not be able to play in mud.

Parkers injury was a turf injury, grass wouuld have given way and he wouldn't have had that happen.

K Train
12-21-2007, 10:18 AM
i watched it, he didnt get caught up, he got rolled up on, turf would tear a ligament if your gonna blame turf.....turf doesnt crack bones, you dont just crack bones

yinzer
12-21-2007, 10:22 AM
bring on the turf!!

Iron City South
12-21-2007, 10:26 AM
Unless the Steelers negotiate for exclusive use of Heinz Field for Steeler games ONLY (which isn't going to happen) .... I'm all about FieldTurf.

Bring it on ... we're a much better team on a fast track.

Injuries will forever be part of the game.

DIESELMAN
12-21-2007, 10:26 AM
For all we know, Willie could've been playing with a hairline fracture so far this year, and getting his foot rolled up just made it break. Who knows but I watched it to and his foot didn't get stuck in the turf.

steelerfan11
12-21-2007, 10:37 AM
I say keep the grass field. It seems like every time we play on turf we have multiple players getting hurt and out for the next week if not longer. I would rather play on a grass field and have crappy field conditions a few games a year. Besides i still think it gives us a little advantage sometimes. Opposing teams will be thinking about how the field will be instead of thinking about the game and getting beat up by the steelers.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-21-2007, 10:37 AM
bring on the turf...our field gets aboused way to much, the turf had nothing to do with the injury...players play on this shiat all year long and are fine, cant blame a broken leg on turf, you could however blame a few injuries on shiatty feild conditions

turf=awesome

heinz field grass=joke

:iagree: 100% Injuries happen in the league all the time, turf or not, players break legs, blow out knees, twist ankles etc., I don't think it's fair to say the turf caused the injury at all.

Heinz needs turf IMO, our players are fast and we use speed as a weapon on offense like we've never been able to do before and we're hampering ourselves by having a natural grass field that we have to resod 3 times a year and still play in a swamp in December.

K Train
12-21-2007, 10:53 AM
i dont even think it needs to be done for the speed factor....its just better and wont be **** come december

DIESELMAN
12-21-2007, 11:05 AM
Opposing teams will be thinking about how the field will be instead of thinking about the game and getting beat up by the steelers.
I'm sure the Jags were thinking just that :lol: TURF!! TURF!! TURF!!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-21-2007, 01:54 PM
At this point they can do it for whatever reason they want but just do it already :lol:

MDSteel15
12-22-2007, 01:14 AM
Unless the Steelers negotiate for exclusive use of Heinz Field for Steeler games ONLY (which isn't going to happen) .... I'm all about FieldTurf.

Bring it on ... we're a much better team on a fast track.

Injuries will forever be part of the game.

If we are such a great team on turf, then why is it we lost to 2 suck azz teams on turf fields??? AZ and NYJ should never been close:banging: As Teemont said "I still think football should be played on grass, it's a crime against the sport to not be able to play in mud." DITTO:bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-22-2007, 06:00 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07356/843782-66.stm?cmpid=HBEHTML

Saturday, December 22, 2007

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers chairman Dan Rooney always has preferred a grass surface at Heinz Field, an idea that likely will be reinforced after what happened to Willie Parker -- and nearly Ben Roethlisberger -- in the 41-24 victory in St. Louis Thursday night.

The Rams play on an artificial surface at the Edward Jones Dome, and some of the Steelers are not surprised they have 11 players on the season-ending injured reserve list, including offensive tackle Orlando Pace and linebacker Leonard Little.

"The turf will do it to you," said receiver Hines Ward. "Everyone always talks about how it feels, but that's the reason why our field is good. It prevents injuries. They probably have 10 guys on IR because of playing on that turf."

Parker broke the fibula in his right leg on his first carry of the game. In addition, Roethlisberger injured his right ankle on a sack near the end of the first half when his foot appeared to get stuck in the turf while he was being tackled by safety Corey Chavous. Roethlisberger remained in the game.

The Steelers, though, are considering a switch to an artificial surface at Heinz Field because of the wear and tear on the grass surface and the poor conditions that have resulted the past three games.

If this were still the days of the old Astro turf then I'd say yes we need to stay with natural grass because that stuff was just cement with carpet on top. The Rams may have a bunch of people on IR but look at all the teams who are virtually injury free atleast in terms of long term injuries...the Pats, BRowns, Bengals, Redskins, etc...all play in the same climate we do and don't have near the injury problems that the Rams do. They have their share just like anyone else in the league does at this time but it's not overwhelming.

If we weren't playing 4000 games at Heinz every season and still doing the old "smash mouth football" game plan I'd be more inclined to say lets keep grass but our team is built for speed and the natural field just can't stand up to the weather and so much use.

I guess we'll see what they decide but knowing the Rooney's I just don't think they will switch; however if there was ever a time when they would it's now.

Captcoolhand
12-22-2007, 10:14 AM
The Rooneys should just donate the cost of another new field to the bigget local college and tell them to go buy their own damn stadium. Let all the local high schools and colleges play on their field and not Heinz Field.
Just maybe then Our field just might last more than 2 seasons and we could stick with the natural.:2cents:

Friday133
12-22-2007, 01:35 PM
If we are such a great team on turf, then why is it we lost to 2 suck azz teams on turf fields??? AZ and NYJ should never been close:banging: As Teemont said "I still think football should be played on grass, it's a crime against the sport to not be able to play in mud." DITTO:bigthumb:

The Cardinals play on a grass field bro.