PDA

View Full Version : The Power of Sports Photography

TINO
12-21-2007, 08:59 AM
Remember holding magazines in your hands to read up on sports? I’m sure there are still many people that do, I’m just not really one of them. In the days of these here inhernets I find myself (and my shortened attention span) browsing RSS readers and sports sites online.

My wife got me a subscription to Sports Illustrated with the “points” she collected drinking cases of Diet Coke. I have not been a fan of the magazine since I read one that had 40 plus pages devoted to Golf. It was the best option for me on the list available though. Thumbing through the latest issue it made me think about what I have been missing.

SI has always been a leader in sports photography. Of course there is that swimsuit issue thingy. A few pages in I came across this awesome, two page photo of the Bills and Browns game played last weekend in the downpour of snow flakes. Jamal Lewis struggling for another yard surrounded by three Bills defenders. A fallen Brown and Bill face down in the snow. Photos online just don’t grab me like that. Two pages further in there was an even more powerful photo. One that reminded me just how powerful sports photography can be.

THE REST OF THE STORY... (http://tinooffseason.wordpress.com/2007/12/21/remember-magazines/)

Steelersfan
12-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Nice article.

TINO
12-21-2007, 11:52 AM
Thanks. I don't know the last time a magazine was thought provoking for me...lol.

Steelersfan
12-21-2007, 11:54 AM
I use to get The Sporting News, SI and such. Dropped them when I was online more. Usually could read the articles or news online a week before I got the magazines.....lol Every once in a while I think of getting them again but really don't miss it.

black an gold 4 life
12-21-2007, 02:13 PM
the only magazine i get is the steelers digest theres nothing else 4 me 2 read lol...................

DIESELMAN
12-21-2007, 07:25 PM
If you get a good photographer who knows what he's doing, you can capture a moment in sports history that would last a lifetime, something that words in a article could never do.