PDA

View Full Version : WANTED: A defense that can play for 60 minutes!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-20-2007, 11:43 PM
Ok we got our first sack since Dec. 2 tonight, that's a start right? Oh wait, Farrior had an Int tonight and Silverback forced a fumble even if it was called off as an incomplete pass.

Other than that the game was riddled with miss tackles, players not getting off blocks, DB's who can't cover, and a front 7 who can't pressure the QB.

Now to be fair teams are using a lot of rhythm passing and quick drops so that contributes greatly to a lack of pressure but still you need to be able to these WR's and tackle the RB's and stop drives; not give up 3rd and long all day. Watching our defense miss tackles and just generally play like a team who doesn't know who they are anymore just depressing to watch to be quite honest.

Infern0
12-20-2007, 11:57 PM
I often have to defend the steelers defense in heated debates with pats and cowboys fans, who claim it is actually sub-par. This game really is making me second guess my beliefs. Granted, I think we will put this one away, but this is not the D I thought we had.

MDSteel15
12-21-2007, 12:01 AM
Finally Ike did it right!!! :cope::tt02::cope::tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-21-2007, 12:08 AM
This team, I swear I just cannot figure them out. If it wasn't for Harrison and Farrior at LB, Casey at NT, and Townsend at DB we wouldn't have anybody making plays with any regularity.

Silverback 92
12-21-2007, 12:10 AM
Ike did okay tonite

Infern0
12-21-2007, 12:12 AM
I couldn't agree more, we are an inconsistant team, capable of very high highs and the not so promising lows, such as the jets.

K Train
12-21-2007, 12:14 AM
i watched haggans alot tonight, he plays hard every down, but he gets manhandled....woodley was sooooooooo dominate in there, he had a few pressures but the point is he wins at the LOS

DIESELMAN
12-21-2007, 12:15 AM
and for some reason we were getting more pressure at the end of the game

Ibleedblk&gld
12-21-2007, 12:16 AM
lol, that was great...dashea really showed up in the 4th quarter tonight too...

BlitzburghRockCity
12-21-2007, 12:17 AM
Woodley totally whiffed a few times tonight but that's just growing pains with a young LB. Overall I think he's shown enough that Haggans probably won't be brought back.

Damn though, this team just cannot tackle anybody with any consistency and that's just a bad sign heading into playoffs.

yinzer
12-21-2007, 12:55 AM
i'm disgusted with this team.

DIESELMAN
12-21-2007, 12:58 AM
We have to look at the bright side in this. St. Louis could've easily gotten back in the game, but this time our D in the 4th Q stepped it up. Better coverage, better pressure and we didn't give up in a 31-24 game in the 4th Q.

yinzer
12-21-2007, 01:03 AM
fact of the matter is we let a 3-11 team hang with us. poor tackling... again!!! poor defense... again!!! allowing 6 million 3rd down conversions... again!!!! big ben pressured all game... again!!! and, the stupid play that willie got hurt on... calling a toss to the short side of the field??? wow, bruce, you really suck!!

LatrobePA
12-21-2007, 01:16 AM
Is it possible that these guys may of been worked too damn hard in training camp and now we are seeing the effects late in the season???

They just look wore out and out of place at times.

Maybe this 10 day off week will help rest them...

Granted they got the job done, just my take on the D...:tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-21-2007, 01:19 AM
We have to look at the bright side in this. St. Louis could've easily gotten back in the game, but this time our D in the 4th Q stepped it up. Better coverage, better pressure and we didn't give up in a 31-24 game in the 4th Q.

I gotta tell ya Tom I was sweating that 7 point lead in the 4th quarter because of how bad they've played the last 2 weeks. They did come up big in the end so I give them props but the first 3 quarters they let WR's and Jackson just basically run scott free all day long.

DIESELMAN
12-21-2007, 01:19 AM
fact of the matter is we let a 3-11 team hang with us. poor tackling... again!!! poor defense... again!!! allowing 6 million 3rd down conversions... again!!!! big ben pressured all game... again!!! and, the stupid play that willie got hurt on... calling a toss to the short side of the field??? wow, bruce, you really suck!!
I hear ya bro....but it is week 16, if we ain't got it down by now then WTF. For whatever reason, our D came alive in the 4th Q and actually played like we are capable of playing. I'm taking the way we played in the 4th outta this game. We've all been bashing our D the past few weeks for good reason but its time to pull it together and get ready for the Ratbirds. :bigthumb:

DIESELMAN
12-21-2007, 01:21 AM
I gotta tell ya Tom I was sweating that 7 point lead in the 4th quarter because of how bad they've played the last 2 weeks. They did come up big in the end so I give them props but the first 3 quarters they let WR's and Jackson just basically run scott free all day long.
I think we all were :lol: but for whatever reason, ghosts of Christmas past, ghosts of the Steelers D, they manned up in the 4th Q :cope:

yinzer
12-21-2007, 01:22 AM
I hear ya bro....but it is week 16, if we ain't got it down by now then WTF. For whatever reason, our D came alive in the 4th Q and actually played like we are capable of playing. I'm taking the way we played in the 4th outta this game. We've all been bashing our D the past few weeks for good reason but its time to pull it together and get ready for the Ratbirds. :bigthumb:

great point. ratbirds are going down!

DIESELMAN
12-21-2007, 02:09 AM
The first 3 quarters our D was gettin pushed around like we were the #32 ranked D in the league. With the score 31-24 and the Rams still alive in the game, the bell rang for the 4th quarter. The Rams continued their drive at their 47 with a 1st and 10. They ran 6 more plays before punting, on that drive the D got their first sack since Dec 2. We scored a FG on our possesion and the Rams got the ball back down 34-24 with 4:38 left in the game, still plenty of time to come back on the #32 ranked D (:lol:) 1st and 10 from their 22, Bulger throws 2 incomplete passes into unbelieveable, outta nowhere good coverage and a better pass rush. Bulger does complete the next pass for a 12 yd gain and a 1st down at their 34. Bulger then proceeds to throw 3 straight incomplete passes into once again great coverage and under a helluva lot better pass rush. On 4th and 10 from their own 34, Bulger throws a pass intended for D. Bennett, which is intercepted by Ike, who takes it back 51 yds for a TD!!! 41-24 Rams get the ball back with 3:46 left in the game. Ferrote is under center, he goes 3/7 for 27 yards and a turnover on downs. We run the clock out and the rest is history. All total in the 4th quarter, the Rams offense managed only 54 yards of offense, had the ball for a measly 4:53. My point for this thread is this. We're only up by 7 going into the 4th, with the Rams moving the ball on us all game when out of nowhere they hit a brick wall. Our D came up with great coverage and a more relentless pass rush that helped win the game. The past few weeks our D has given up yardage like it was free, resulting in a 2 game losing streak and putting us at the edge of the cliff where the playoffs are concerned. Our D came up big when it mattered :bigthumb: Now we have 9-10 days to get ready for the Ratbirds, our D needS to carry this games 4th Q into Baltimore and secure our Playoff spot. :cope::cope::cope:

BlitzburghNation
12-21-2007, 02:17 AM
Yep,,,,,,,,,,,Hope the "D" has finally put it together & start playing the way we all know they can ~~~~ :bigthumb:

SteelersWoman
12-21-2007, 04:35 AM
We won...BIG (in the end)...and yet we're all kinda happy and but kind of disappointed, and rightly so. We're seeing all the missed plays...It's almost mind boggling how amazing this team could be if they'd all (every single guy) play to full capability for a full 60 minutes. The Pats wouldn't have a thing on us.

SteelersWoman
12-21-2007, 04:38 AM
The Pats have worked as hard (or harder) than any team--including training camp, but they're still winning every single game--so far. So even if our guys are tired, it's really not an excuse, since most of our guys are younger than those on the Pats.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-21-2007, 06:54 AM
That's the first time I saw our defense show any life at all in 3 weeks. I swear Jackson was just gashing them and making everybody look like statues just standing them as he ran right by them or over them.

portcityblackandgold
12-21-2007, 07:51 AM
The defense misses the mouth and the attitude of Joey Porter. Someone (other than the mouthy little Ant who I hoped has learned his lesson) needs to step up and be the Motivator. Maybe several somebodies. Its almost as if they used all of their attitude stompin on the Ratbirds. That door has been kicked in guys lets move on. I believe in the D. They've got two shutouts:tt02::cope:

Forged in Steel
12-21-2007, 10:27 AM
The Steelers defense is just plain garbage this year. Their kickoff defense is also realy, realy, sh***y.

yinzer
12-21-2007, 10:53 AM
deshea should have never let that one TD happen. he wasn't even looking for the ball.

Iron City South
12-21-2007, 11:44 AM
The defensive front 7 owns most of the blame right now for earning the "soft" label.

Good win, but let's not sugar coat the obvious, our Defense is atrocious. Not only can we not generate a decent pass rush, we can't seem to stop any legitimate running threat. I don't care how you slice it .... this is a recipe for disaster should we not be able to put up 40+ points like we did yesterday.

After re-watching the game it comes down to the lack of production by 4 individuals on the defense. Here they are in order that I would replace them:

Bret Keisel - Mr. Irrelivant - Does very little to contribute regardless of how others want to glamourize his play. "Tweener" who gets owned by OT's. I like Kiesel's moter and think he'd be a tremendous asset as a "wedgebuster" on ST's in addition to some situational pass rushing duties.

Clark Haggens - Has digressed to the point of doing the patented "Gildon Arc" ... you remember late in Jason Gildon's career where he was an ineffective pass rusher on the inside so he would do this magnificant rainbow around the QB as he was kindly pushed out of every play.

Larry Foote - Has always been average at best. Sure, he can make a play or two during the course of a game, but any "body" could. On a Pittsburgh style defense, this position needs upgrading .... BAD! Foote would serve great on ST's and a good back-up player.

Casey Hampton - Sorry Fat Casey, I know you have your band of "Casey is a lane clogger" groupies, however I ain't one of 'em. I can't see giving a part-time player this kind of a paycheck. Total waste of cap money.

Mark my words, you upgrade these 4 positions alone, and our defense takes on an entirely different look and feel. :yesnod:

DIESELMAN
12-21-2007, 12:01 PM
Good win, but let's not sugar coat the obvious, our Defense is atrocious.
Wasn't sugar coating anything. I just pointed out how the D stepped up for once in the 4th quarter with just a 7 point lead. Its week 16 and we all know how bad our D is, we can start a million threads from now until draft day stating the same **** over and over and over again.

Stlrs4Life
12-21-2007, 07:09 PM
I hear ya Top Gun, also, Deshea was great in the 4th Qtr.

$teeler$guy
12-21-2007, 08:58 PM
This team, I swear I just cannot figure them out. If it wasn't for Harrison and Farrior at LB, Casey at NT, and Townsend at DB we wouldn't have anybody making plays with any regularity.

u forgot someone TROY DA BEAST

BlitzburghRockCity
12-21-2007, 10:11 PM
Under normal circumstances any other year I'd say Troy for sure but this year he hasn't been the play maker that we need. He's showing signs of improvement since he's been back but he's still not at his previous years form.