PDA

View Full Version : Davenport stepping up to plate?

Infern0
12-20-2007, 10:06 PM
So, do you think he will be able to carry the load? Dare I say (Dont laugh TOP), playoffs?

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------
Props to him for that jump!

LarryNJ
12-20-2007, 10:08 PM
Yes, I think he'll step up and play well. We can only hope that this injury will wake up the line too.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-20-2007, 10:08 PM
It's up to Dookie and Davis now to carry the load. There's literally nobody left on the roster with any experience.

right now both Najeh and Davis are having good nights but the playoffs will have tougher defenses than the Rams have.

MDSteel15
12-20-2007, 10:17 PM
Where has this Dookie been all year?

BlitzburghRockCity
12-20-2007, 10:22 PM
They've been using him as 3rd down back mostly but none of us think they use him enough because the dude is money and has really stepped up this year. Right now they have no choice though, they have to use him and if he stays healthy he'll come through for us.

Infern0
12-20-2007, 10:24 PM
I havent seen him much, a fast guy?

MDSteel15
12-20-2007, 10:24 PM
I know, I just like it when he finally sticks his head down and blasts thru guys! Love it.....:hail:

Silverback 92
12-20-2007, 11:06 PM
Hope you stayed in football shape !

K Train
12-20-2007, 11:07 PM
they dont like him, he worked out and i really doubt he signs

BlitzburghRockCity
12-20-2007, 11:09 PM
They'll activate Russel for next weeks game but I don't think they'll sign Verron at this point unless they really have no confidence in Russel.

Silverback 92
12-20-2007, 11:30 PM
#44 got about 5.1 yards per not to bad....

Steelersfan
12-20-2007, 11:58 PM
Davenport is a good RB and has speed and some size to him. He should do fine for us the rest of the year. I really think he is a better RB for the Steelers than Parker. As far as starting and carrying the load that is. I guess now we'll see if my gut feeling is right......lol
And that's nothing against Parker. Would just rather see us start a big back and use Willie when the game warrants. Mix N Match to keep the D off balance.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-21-2007, 12:00 AM
S
Staley is a good RB and has speed and some size to him. He should do fine for us the rest of the year. I really think he is a better RB for the Steelers than Parker. As far as starting and carrying the load that is. I guess now we'll see if my gut feeling is right......lol
And that's nothing against Parker. Would just rather see us start a big back and use Willie when the game warrants. Mix N Match to keep the D off balance.

Staley? When did he resign with the Steelers....I know you mean Davenport...Just had to pull your leg...lol

Steelersfan
12-21-2007, 12:01 AM
S

Staley? When did he resign with the Steelers....I know you mean Davenport...Just had to pull your leg...lol

:banging: You got me there.......lol Get Staley back!......:lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-21-2007, 12:15 AM
I'm so proud of Najeh, I said last year when we signed him that this kid was going to be good for us shen so many of you **coughcough KOOPA coughcough** :lol: said he couldn't cut it and wasn't the answer...but once he got a chance to get some playing time and go through a full season and damned if he hasn't been BIG for us this year. Right now we need him more than ever!

Is he a Jerome...no of course not but he's filled in quite nicely.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-21-2007, 12:20 AM
I'm so proud of Najeh, I said last year when we signed him that this kid was going to be good for us shen so many of you **coughcough KOOPA coughcough** :lol: said he couldn't cut it and wasn't the answer...but once he got a chance to get some playing time and go through a full season and damned if he hasn't been BIG for us this year. Right now we need him more than ever!

Dude Davenport is making me eat my words for doubting him...I love it also....Now I want Troy to start making me eat my words...Come on Troy I know you have the talent...lol

Steelersfan
12-21-2007, 12:33 AM
Whole different attitude with a back running people over! We got a speed WR in Holmes, one of the best possession WR's in Ward (not to mention his blocking!) and then you throw in a power back and look out! Will change the whole attitude of the team!

Dee Mca
12-21-2007, 12:53 AM
Steelers Victorious Over Rams With 41-24 Win
ST. LOUIS (AP) ― Najeh Davenport is a career backup running back with typical non-descript statistics. Except when he's playing the St. Louis Rams.

The Pittsburgh Steelers' top-rated defense was porous again in a 41-24 victory over the St. Louis Rams on Thursday night.

But Davenport's three touchdowns and 123 yards rushing on 24 carries in relief of injured Willie Parker allowed them to break out of a late-season swoon and move one step closer to a playoff berth.

They was so happy about us winning they muffed up.

Blitzburghpete
12-21-2007, 03:12 AM
Look at my aviatar guys.... this man is the real deal.

If i hear anyone diss's dookie ANYMORE i'm gonna kick your @SSSSSSSSSSSSS

Dookie's the man, always was, alwyas will be. Our running game will finally look like it always should since Jerome left and what suits steeler football. Power running with a capital DAVENPORT

nuff said

BlitzburghRockCity
12-21-2007, 07:35 AM
It will be interesting to see if Najeh continues to do well if that translates into more touches for him next year. He's not going to unseat Willie or anything but I'd like to see him more involved in the offense.

steelcitysfinestXL
12-21-2007, 09:36 AM
It will be interesting to see if Najeh continues to do well if that translates into more touches for him next year. He's not going to unseat Willie or anything but I'd like to see him more involved in the offense.

Exactly!!! If Naj can prove he's capable of carrying this team on his back deep into the playoffs, Bruce "THE MASTERMIND" Arians is gonna have to spend the offseason,once again, reworking the playbook!!!! A mix of parker and Naj could be perfect!!!

TEEMONT
12-21-2007, 09:39 AM

lol...how come Koop is never around when it comes time to eat his words?

Iron City South
12-21-2007, 10:32 AM
Davenport is a better back .... :yesnod:

Ok, now that I have your attention this is what I mean when I say that:

Naj is a true three down running back. He can do it all; Run inside, outside, catch, block, speed, break tackles in the 1st and 2nd levels, raw power. Hell, he even returns kicks as well.

Don't get me wrong, I like Parker as person and as a player. There's no question he's an asset to the team. I just think he's extremely limited from a versatility perspective and a totally one dimensional style of runner. You can't make a player an every-down back by just willing it so.

Saying it is not enough .....

Last night was a return to "Smashmouth Football, Pittsburgh Style" ... chains were moving and 3rd and shorts (not 3rd and longs) were being converted.

Steelersfan
12-21-2007, 10:40 AM

Naj is a true three down running back. He can do it all; Run inside, outside, catch, block, speed, break tackles in the 1st and 2nd levels, raw power. Hell, he even returns kicks as well.

Don't get me wrong, I like Parker as person and as a player. There's no question he's an asset to the team. I just think he's extremely limited from a versatility perspective and a totally one dimensional style of runner. You can't make a player an every-down back by just willing it so.

Last night was a return to "Smashmouth Football, Pittsburgh Style" ... chains were moving and 3rd and shorts (not 3rd and longs) were being converted.

:plus1::plus1::plus1: My feelings exactly!

Greygrizzly
12-21-2007, 10:46 AM
I said it before Parker was hurt that Davenport should be the starter. He is much more of the typical Steeler tailback than Parker is. Doing that when parker is health would be much closer to the Bettis, Parker system that worked very well. And it would make it easy on that idiot Arians to. all he would have to do is see what Wisenhunt did when he was OC.

GoBenGo
12-21-2007, 11:06 AM
FORMULA 44D!!!!! GOOD FOR WHAT AILS YA'!!
tHAT IS THE nAJEH THAT WAS IN gREEN bAY!!! That is why we picked the dude up!!!Can he shoulder the load???? IMO , I think we need more than a smoke and mirrors running game... However, the way our O line played tonight(run Blocking anyway) Najeh can get it done on the corners and in the middle.... Faneca and co reeally stepped up for him... Davis was like a fire plug missle running the ball... Bad little bowlin'ball dude!!!AND he has some wheels!!!
I want to say it was a super game , but FWP's injury really hangs heavy... He will lose all those incentive bonuses, including top rusher, which he would of gotten... If anyone ever has had his share of tough times and adversity, it is Willie... He sure did not deserve this.I really respect the way Tomlin addressed it..
:helmet:That game otherwise was incredible:tt02:. Ben launching an 83 yarder:eyecrazy: with carnage all around him... Najeh being the MAN!.. Nate making catches... And a 400 pounder in the backfield on goal line!!( expect to see more of that later:yesnod:)
AND D-SEP!!! Huge Punts,holds FGs and PATs, Passes for a first down, makes interception... the guy does it all!:banana::tt02:
Granted it was the Rams, but the game still had to be executed... If they would have won, everyone would be saying they are better than their record, blah blah blah... So I am going to take it as a good win... Bulger was ON, Jackson was On, our boys stepped up when they had to... especially the corners, and safety... Townsend was like GEICO on Bruce, full coverage!
Tackling problems existed in the first half, but when FWP went down, everyone took it up a notch ... Instead of reverting. ..
A lot of positive stuff to take into next week and there on.:plus1:
I hope the bungles win 11- 0 with 4 safeties and a field goal.:lol:

Steeler_Soldier
12-21-2007, 11:18 AM
:helmet:I think he will step up and do the job...He has always been able to come in and fill a role. Lets just hope he stays healthy...Cheering the Steelers on to another Super Bowl Victory:tt02::cope::banana:

Blitzburghpete
12-21-2007, 12:35 PM

I'm on this bandwaggon with you too brother! :plus1::plus1::plus1:
well put

Infern0
12-21-2007, 01:35 PM
I'm on this bandwaggon with you too brother! :plus1::plus1::plus1:
well put

I honestly think 44 can bring us places that parker couldnt. Dont get me wrong, stats dont lie, but Dav has the drive, literally. He may not be as fast, but he will make his own holes, or jump right over you!

GoBenGo
12-21-2007, 01:49 PM

Naj is a true three down running back. He can do it all; Run inside, outside, catch, block, speed, break tackles in the 1st and 2nd levels, raw power. Hell, he even returns kicks as well.Don't get me wrong, I like Parker as person and as a player. There's no question he's an asset to the team. I just think he's extremely limited from a versatility perspective and a totally one dimensional style of runner. You can't make a player an every-down back by just willing it so.

Last night was a return to "Smashmouth Football, Pittsburgh Style" ... chains were moving and 3rd and shorts (not 3rd and longs) were being converted.:bigthumb::plus1:Well said, well said.
F44D= complete back...
And Davis looked ready! hammerin' those ashpoles! plus a little burst o' speed on the outside there...

matt89
12-21-2007, 03:06 PM
i think davenport will steup it up. he's the time of rb that steelers need for their smash mouth offense. he's a big physical back w/ speed,remind you of anyone,lol

Silverback 92
12-21-2007, 05:16 PM
Davenport and FWP have 2 different styles for sure....One is Flash the other Smash

Stlrs4Life
12-21-2007, 06:33 PM
I believe he will step u. He's a different RB than Willie. And can be a good thing coming up on to the playoffs.

$teeler$guy
12-21-2007, 07:55 PM
i was very impressed to see him stepp up like dat.

DIESELMAN
12-21-2007, 09:39 PM
Davenport and FWP have 2 different styles for sure....One is Flash the other Smash
:plus1: Just a little bit of info...everybody thinks the Rams D isn't that good? Dookie is the first RB to rush for over a 100 yds against them this year. :bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-22-2007, 08:47 PM
:plus1: Just a little bit of info...everybody thinks the Rams D isn't that good? Dookie is the first RB to rush for over a 100 yds against them this year. :bigthumb:

That's a good point Diesel, that's a stat I didn't realize till the announcers mentioned it during the game. The Rams defense and their team in general are no slouches. Their record may not be all that great but when you have Bruce, Holt, and Jackson on offense you can score points with anyone. As far as the defense goes, with Bulger being hurt this year their offense has suffered and consequently their defense is on the field all the time so they wear down easily. Fortunately our OL did a good job the other night in the run blocking dept. and allowed Najeh to do his thing and help us get the victory.

StlersGuy
12-22-2007, 08:55 PM
I like Davenport and I think we will be just fine with him being the main guy now that fast willie is out...

BlitzburghRockCity
12-24-2007, 09:33 AM
Najeh doesn't necessarily need the reps next weekend because he's a veteran and he's been on the field regularly all year long so I'd play him for awhile next weekend but depending on how things play out I'd be tempted to pull him if I were Tomlin because he's the only experienced back we have and let Davis & Russel get some reps.

Infern0
12-26-2007, 10:15 AM
Nah, reps are not needed for him. Davis is a different story.

GoBenGo
12-27-2007, 02:52 PM
Thanx Deez!! I didn't know that...:bigthumb: Makes it that much substantial!!:cope: ...More confidence...