PDA

View Full Version : Tribune Review on Arians

yinzer
12-19-2007, 01:40 PM
has anybody read the article on Arians questioning his play calling in the Pats game? for some reason, my computer won't let me go to pittsburghtribunereview.com

GoBenGo
12-19-2007, 01:59 PM
has anybody read the article on Arians questioning his play calling in the Pats game? for some reason, my computer won't let me go to pittsburghtribunereview.com
Just tried, won't come up for me either, sorry, other stuff comes up though, strange.
only took BA two weeks to realize?

yinzer
12-19-2007, 02:04 PM
man, i really want to read what his excuse was!!!!! from the headline, i take it as he admits he screwed up. it's not too late to redeem himself. he just needs to step it up the final two games.

memphissteelergirl
12-19-2007, 03:20 PM
I have heard the same thing from other folks on other MB's...they are all trying to access it too.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-19-2007, 03:42 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/sports/steelers/s_543421.html

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, December 19, 2007

If he had it to do again, Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians would do it differently in New England.
Faced with third-and-goal at the Patriots' 1 at the outset of the fourth quarter Dec. 9, Arians called for a run with an option to check into a fade pass for wide receiver Santonio Holmes if necessary. The Steelers checked out of their initial play upon observing the Patriots' alignment at the line of scrimmage, and the subsequent pass to Holmes fell incomplete.

On fourth-and-goal from the 1, the Steelers came out in an empty-backfield set and tried a sweep to wide receiver Hines Ward, who was in motion prior to the snap. Ward was stopped for no gain.

"A couple of unusual calls," Arians said Wednesday.

A touchdown would have pulled the Steelers only to within 31-20 in a game they lost, 34-13.
So it's difficult to perceive the failure to find the end zone in that instance as decisive. But Arians nonetheless regrets his choice of calls.

"I thought we had Hines in on the little reverse we've been working on for 10 weeks," Arians said. "That's the first time it's ever been stopped. It would have worked. We got a little surprised on the way they adjusted and got knocked back. We should have knocked them back and walked in (to the end zone)."

The Patriots moved 89 yards for a field goal on their subsequent possession and assumed a 21-point lead with 7:04 remaining.

"Going back in retrospect, we'd have taken our goal-line offense and gone at it," Arians said. "We got it down there with a shovel pass. I wish we'd have gone back into a power mode at that time, a goal-line package.

"I liked those plays for what they did on the goal line. (The Patriots) had a little unusual goal-line defense. We thought we could get the match-up we wanted. We did, but it was more for from the 3-yard line than the 1-yard line. That's a call that's from the 3."

Arians suspected his second-guessing of himself, such as it was, was a first in his tenure as the Steelers' offensive coordinator.

"Probably," he said. "It's not one I've thought many times about."

DIESELMAN
12-19-2007, 04:04 PM
If it wasn't for Colon being rocked back that play might have worked. Shoulda, woulda, coulda, maybe next time he'll quit tryin to be fancy and run the ball.

LatrobePA
12-19-2007, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the link...

GoBenGo
12-19-2007, 04:50 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/sports/steelers/s_543421.html

Top to the rescue!! thanx dude

BlitzburghRockCity
12-19-2007, 05:30 PM
If it wasn't for Colon being rocked back that play might have worked. Shoulda, woulda, coulda, maybe next time he'll quit tryin to be fancy and run the ball.

Yeah, Im all for mixing things up at the goal line now and then but sometimes you gotta just line up and smash mouth it in.

yinzer
12-19-2007, 05:33 PM
top gun, you rock for posting that!!! thanks a million!! now let's start stuffin the ball down throats when we get on the goal line!!:tt02:

Silverback 92
12-19-2007, 06:32 PM
shouldda wouldda couldda !!! to late now

yinzer
12-19-2007, 06:43 PM
i've been guilty of "burning arians at the stake" lately but after watching the jag game again, arians didn't do too horrible. i just think that, for the most part, his play calling hasn't been up to par. i'm surprised he talked about his play calling in an interview. that actually burns my britches even more! now, after 2 weeks, he decides that, "in retrospect", he should have made different calls. i got an idea... learn from your mistakes and don't do it again. what's going to happen after the baltimore game? is he going to go public and say he shiat the bed the second half of the season and that he's sorry for it???!!! i don't want his excuses. my dumb dogs don't make the same mistake twice!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-19-2007, 08:15 PM
If it helps him become a better OC then maybe in the long run it will work out for us. One thing is for sure, the guy is honest enough to admit his mistakes.

LatrobePA
12-19-2007, 09:12 PM
Bench him....j/k lol

BringTheWoodley
12-19-2007, 09:34 PM
Dude...that is crazy talk. Dick Lebeau is a living legend at what he does.You just have to have some special athletes on the field to pull off some of his schemes.The problem right now is poor execution and a mediocre LB core,except silverback.The only problem i see is that the relationship between Tomlin and Lebeau is really not known, so it wouldn't surprise me if Tomlin would like him outta there so he can form his own staff and use his own defensive ideas.
Gonna be an interesting off-season..but until then we all need to rally and get this teams back.9-5 with a shot to end up the season at 11-5 is not to bad.