PDA

View Full Version : Proof that Titans would win strength of victory tiebraker over Steelers...

Troyisabeast_43
12-18-2007, 07:23 PM
common games. Both teams are 2-3 in common games.

TEN: JAC W/L, CIN L, DEN L, NYJ W

PIT: JAC L, CIN W/W, DEN L, NYJ L

So the tiebreaker then goes to SOV in which the Titans have a reasonable edge
I've looked a little more at the potential strength of victory tiebreaker between Pittsburgh and Tennessee, which would occur if both teams were 10-6, Pittsburgh won next week at St. Louis, and Cleveland out against Cincy and San Fran and won its division at 11-5.

There are 16 other games which would affect strength of victory, Tennessee holding a 67-63 advantage going in. Six affect Pittsburgh's strength of victory alone, nine affect Tennessee's alone, and one (Seattle at Atlanta in week 17) affects both.

The Titans would need four of those 16 results to guarantee a strength of victory advantage. If they only got three, it looks like they have an overwhelming advantage in strength of schedule, the next tiebreaker.

While there's probably about a 2% chance of this scenario occurring, I think it would be very unlikely for Pittsburgh to hold an edge.

As for the Titans chances, yes, they will have difficulty with the Colts but keep 2 things in mind. 1) Historically, after the Colts have had their seed locked, they have kept their starters in for only a drive or two before playing backups. This should make the game easier on the Titans. 2) The Titans were a dropped Brandon Jones catch away from being in FG range for the game-winning FG against the Manning-led Colts in week 2. I'm not saying either of these will give the Titans the win, but the Colts game is definitely winnable.

DIESELMAN
12-18-2007, 09:01 PM

I've looked a little more at the potential strength of victory tiebreaker between Pittsburgh and Tennessee, which would occur if both teams were 10-6, Pittsburgh won next week at St. Louis, and Cleveland out against Cincy and San Fran and won its division at 11-5.

There are 16 other games which would affect strength of victory, Tennessee holding a 67-63 advantage going in. Six affect Pittsburgh's strength of victory alone, nine affect Tennessee's alone, and one (Seattle at Atlanta in week 17) affects both.

The Titans would need four of those 16 results to guarantee a strength of victory advantage. If they only got three, it looks like they have an overwhelming advantage in strength of schedule, the next tiebreaker.

While there's probably about a 2% chance of this scenario occurring, I think it would be very unlikely for Pittsburgh to hold an edge.

As for the Titans chances, yes, they will have difficulty with the Colts but keep 2 things in mind. 1) Historically, after the Colts have had their seed locked, they have kept their starters in for only a drive or two before playing backups. This should make the game easier on the Titans. 2) The Titans were a dropped Brandon Jones catch away from being in FG range for the game-winning FG against the Manning-led Colts in week 2. I'm not saying either of these will give the Titans the win, but the Colts game is definitely winnable.

Dude you must have a lot of smoke rollin out your ears with all these scenarios and what if's. :lol: Relax.....its going to play out one way or another, if the Steelers woulda taken care of business when they should have I can imagine we would all be sleeping easier. It is what it is.....:helmet:

BlacknGold Bleeder
12-18-2007, 09:08 PM
The sky is falling, the sky is falling !!!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-18-2007, 09:13 PM
Dude you must have a lot of smoke rollin out your ears with all these scenarios and what if's. :lol: Relax.....its going to play out one way or another, if the Steelers woulda taken care of business when they should have I can imagine we would all be sleeping easier. It is what it is.....:helmet:

The last time I slept easy was the ratbird game, since then I haven't slept for **** trying to stay on top of what has to happen. All I know is this team better win out these last 2 games or they don't deserve to get in,even through the back door.

yinzer
12-18-2007, 09:24 PM

whew! that made my head hurt! thanks for the information, though. sometimes i don't like to read that stuff because it makes me more angry than i already am.

Forged in Steel
12-19-2007, 09:33 AM

LMAO!

Anyway, the Steelers just need to win their final two games and their in the playoffs and win the divison. THEY CANNOT LOOSE! They have to win the final two games or at least the Browns loose one.

AZ_Steeler
12-19-2007, 10:46 AM

:lol: classic!!!

Everything comes down to the Steelers need to just win out... they control their destiny and it's completely up to them where they end up...

Stairwayto7
12-19-2007, 11:16 AM
i`LL BE HONEST, If it takes us getting a wild card to get in the playoffs, then screw the playoffs!

TampaSteelGirl
12-19-2007, 12:35 PM
My brain hurts from all this stuff! I'm just going to wait and see what happens when it happens. :tt02:

Stlrs4Life
12-19-2007, 04:39 PM
The last time I slept easy was the ratbird game, since then I haven't slept for shiat trying to stay on top of what has to happen. All I know is this team better win out these last 2 games or they don't deserve to get in,even through the back door.

Amen! To that.

steelcurtain09
12-19-2007, 07:27 PM
i`LL BE HONEST, If it takes us getting a wild card to get in the playoffs, then screw the playoffs!
does nobody remember what happened the last time we were in the playoffs as a wildcard?

as a wildcard this year we would probably go up against San Diego as the six seed. this is probably the worst matchup possible
as the division winner and four seed we would go right back against Jacksonville again. we would be really fired up to get revenge against them.
if San Diego somehow loses a game, we would face Cleveland at home as the three seed or in Cleveland as the six seed wildcard. both of those matchups work out very well for us.

being a wildcard would also help for next year since we wouldnt have to play NE or SD during the regular season.