View Full Version : What's missing?

Steelersfan
12-18-2007, 01:07 AM
I'll tell you what I think we are missing:

1 - The Bus
2 - Kreider
3 - A tough OL
4 - Pass rush!

OK, I know we won't get Bettis back but he is #1 for a reason, ATTITUDE! This team isn't tough anymore. This team doesn't run people over like Bettis did. You take Kreider and let him hit someone, then you take Bettis and hit them again. Guess what, they don't like that much.....lol And that doesn't even add in Ward getting some shots in.
Don't get me wrong, I like Parker to an extent. But that is about it. Hate when they run him in the red zone and in short yardage but think he is great between the 20's.
I agree this OL is one of the worst I've seen the Steelers have.
I think some of the problems on D stems from the offense not being able to run the ball like we use to. Not all problems but some. Our D plays so much better when we can run the ball and control the clock and tempo. Keyword - TEMPO! Just controlling TOP isn't everything. When you run with power and push the other team around the D reacts to that and does the same.
If we keep going the way we are going (speed and soft) we need to change the D up to match. We need some cover corners and a DL or two that can rush the QB. I just don't think the way our O and D play compliment each other very well this year.
And the ST's sucks as always!
Anyways, just my opinions and really needed to get them off my chest...:lol:

Oh ya, where can I get some of those glasses K???

K Train
12-18-2007, 01:11 AM
heres whats missing....and his name is gosder lol
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n45/K-Train89/56204839.jpg

oh and here

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n45/K-Train89/FF_154265_s.jpg

DIESELMAN
12-18-2007, 01:18 AM
We need to definitely get our OL together, that would help the team as a whole. It would make Ben and Willie breathe easier having to be back there and it would definitely give the D a much needed rest. We could have longer sustained drives, give Ben more time and Willie better holes to run through. It would also allow us to use our TE's more in the passing game instead of stayin back tryin to pass block. Our DL needs to be younger, everybody who is worth anything is either 30 or close to it.

K Train
12-18-2007, 01:20 AM
Its a miracle ben and willie have been so successful this year, imagine how good we could be line a line worth something

Steelersfan
12-18-2007, 01:25 AM
We could be pretty good this year if we just stopped pretending to be a power running team. Spread the field and let Ben, Willie, Holmes and Ward take control. Ben just needs to see the TE or RB when the rush is on him. Take the short passes when needed.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-18-2007, 06:32 AM
Would you settle for 2 out of 4? LOL.

Im afraid Kreider isn't coming back next year but if they are smart they'll bring him back. Davis has done nothing and inspires toughness in nobody. If Arians has anything to say about it he'll want Davis :cursin:

Toughness on the OL and toughness everywhere else, yah you got that right. We need to get back to that intimidating, punch you in the mouth, lay the wood every chance we get, take every shot on you that's as close to rules as you can get and hell I'd be ok with the occasional personal foul if it means we strike fear in somebody's receivers other than Cincy....

Steelersfan
12-18-2007, 09:30 AM
As much as I'd like to see us go back to that style of football I just don't see it happening. I would be happy if they just stopped trying to play like they are that type of team. They have speed on offense so use it.

LatrobePA
12-18-2007, 09:32 AM
What's missing:

STEELER FOOTBALL!!

Our D is built around a running O, when we run the ball we allow the D to rest, when we go out gun slinging our D can't get the rest needed to perform. Simple as that.......

Steelersfan
12-18-2007, 09:39 AM
What's missing:

STEELER FOOTBALL!!

Our D is built around a running O, when we run the ball we allow the D to rest, when we go out gun slinging our D can't get the rest needed to perform. Simple as that.......

Ya know, I use to think just that too. I actually now think it wasn't that our D was built around a running O. It was the way we controlled the games and limited the other teams offensive plays. It seems like (IMO) the D can play so much better with a limited number of plays. Don't ask me why. Mostly I guess because I've seen the offense control the ball and the D still play poorly so it can't just be they are tired out.
Another thing I feel is more important for our D than a running game is QB pressure. When they don't get to the QB they don't play well on D.

LatrobePA
12-18-2007, 09:44 AM
True, very true. Allowing a team to run a 20 play drive is horrid! Like you said we have lost all pass rush, give any QB time in the pocket and they will make plays.

LeXX75
12-18-2007, 09:47 AM
whats missing is players who play..instead of talk..Guys like A Smith..seem to be trying to convince ..people how good we are..instead of showing it on the field....don't work that way...facts are we are an average team...we need OL help bad...we need help getting to the other teams QB without having to send 5 & 6 guys..

LatrobePA
12-18-2007, 09:59 AM
#27 has learned his lesson, he let our #1 D stats go to his head.

Greygrizzly
12-18-2007, 10:04 AM
We could be pretty good this year if we just stopped pretending to be a power running team. Spread the field and let Ben, Willie, Holmes and Ward take control. Ben just needs to see the TE or RB when the rush is on him. Take the short passes when needed.

Man you hit the nail right on the head. We don't have the traditional big power running back to have a power running game. So we should use what we do have to our best advantage.

yinzer
12-18-2007, 10:40 AM
all of you forgot to mention the fact that bruce arians is gawdawful!

LatrobePA
12-18-2007, 10:49 AM
all of you forgot to mention the fact that bruce arians is gawdawful!

LOL, I was going to make mention to that, but no sense in beating a dead OC!!

AZ_Steeler
12-18-2007, 11:45 AM
So is that your draft pick for this upcoming year Train??? We all know you put in calls for D-Sep last year just curious what you have done this year :bigthumb: ;)

BringTheWoodley
12-18-2007, 11:48 AM
One thing about Thursdays night game that i'm looking forward to is see FWP on turf, I'm sure he's licking his chop at that aspect of it. He's been playing on some crappy conditions for the past month.Even if the O line lays down as usual i look forward to Willie making some big plays.

I think we will finally have a dominating performance this week and should give us a good momentum builder to finish up the season.I'm really looking forward to see Woodley play a whole game...even if he makes mistakes this will help his development considerably.

Here we go Steelers...Here we go!!

BR7
12-18-2007, 11:54 AM
Draft the J-Train (http://www.aggieathletics.com/bios.php?YOS=2006&SID=MFB&PID=7622), Jorvorskie Lane.

6' / 268 lb

Hes a "Bettis" type and THEN some, lol.

TampaSteelGirl
12-18-2007, 12:20 PM
What's missing is strong Leadership and Heart...what overcoming us too much attitude, too much mouth and too many manicures!
I don't see anyone except Ben on occasion taking any type of Leadership over the situation. In the past, Bettis on the offense and Porter on the defense. We don't see squat now! Hines hasn't even stepped up to take on a leadership role. Ben can't do it alone and no one seems to want to step up and motivate this team. I'm not happy with Tomlins cool demeaner either. Lets get the spit rollin once again!!! Geez!!! :banging:

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------
oh yea and I'd love to have Adrian Peterson from the Vikings or Westbrook from the Eagles for RB! :greengrin:

steelerbackr4life
12-18-2007, 12:35 PM
For the first time I am not happy watching Tomlins press coference. I want too see a little more emotion from the HC. Somehow the comments "thats the nature of the game" or "we are going to have to study the film and make adjustments" after a loss isnt cutting it. Your team just lost at their own game ! His after loss conferences are starting too sound like his after win conferences.

yinzer
12-18-2007, 12:36 PM
One thing about Thursdays night game that i'm looking forward to is see FWP on turf, I'm sure he's licking his chop at that aspect of it. He's been playing on some crappy conditions for the past month.Even if the O line lays down as usual i look forward to Willie making some big plays.

I think we will finally have a dominating performance this week and should give us a good momentum builder to finish up the season.I'm really looking forward to see Woodley play a whole game...even if he makes mistakes this will help his development considerably.

Here we go Steelers...Here we go!!

man, i hope so!!! We need a dominating game to get our spirit back up. this team is playing some uninspired football!:cursin:

steelerbackr4life
12-18-2007, 12:42 PM
We wont have to worry about Marvell Smith playing like a turnstile he is hurt

yinzer
12-18-2007, 12:54 PM
We wont have to worry about Marvell Smith playing like a turnstile he is hurt

it sucks he's hurt but he does stink. IMO, starks played well in the games he started for smith. i know eason is playing this week. is there going to be any movements with McBean?

steelerbackr4life
12-18-2007, 12:59 PM
it wasnt mentioned in the press conference. Only that Smith was hurt. I dont think he stinks either but if his injury is preventing him from doing his job then he needs to not play. Im assuming that is why he was replaced late in the game Sunday.

yinzer
12-18-2007, 01:11 PM
it wasnt mentioned in the press conference. Only that Smith was hurt. I dont think he stinks either but if his injury is preventing him from doing his job then he needs to not play. Im assuming that is why he was replaced late in the game Sunday.

ok, well, if he was still hurt, they should have started starks. should it really have taken them 58 minutes to see that smith was a) still hurt or b) still sucks? nevertheless, they picked a terrible game to start someone that is still "hurt". if indeed he still was.

steelerbackr4life
12-18-2007, 01:19 PM
exactly

LatrobePA
12-18-2007, 01:34 PM
ok, well, if he was still hurt, they should have started starks. should it really have taken them 58 minutes to see that smith was a) still hurt or b) still sucks? nevertheless, they picked a terrible game to start someone that is still "hurt". if indeed he still was.

That just brought tears to my eyes, you are spot on brother!!