PDA

View Full Version : The Jags out Steelered the Steelers today

BlitzburghRockCity
12-16-2007, 05:11 PM
I can take a loss if give everything we got, if we show up and leave it all on the field, if we fight and fight till the last whistle. What I can't deal with is getting man handled and being beat at the game that we are supposed to play.

We allowed 200+ yds rushing today and allowed them to convert countless 4th down opportunities. When you allow a team to come into your own house and completely show you up and expose you once again on defense you have serious issues. This team took 3 quarters to show up today and when they did they were able to tie it up we were not up to the challenge to stop them. Fred Taylor was the player of the game and he clearly showed that along with his offensive line that we were not up to snuff to stop them. This team came in with a mission and they accomplished it.

When you allow a team to drive 74 yds on 20 plays and eat up 9:40 off the clock that tells you something about your defense. When you score 2 quick TD's to tie up the game and then promptly allow them to run it right down your throats again and score a TD to win it, that tells you that there is MUCH work to be done.

Troyisabeast_43
12-16-2007, 05:15 PM
Tells you that the loss of Aaron Smith as well really affected the running game that simply cannot get overlooked. But still no excuse for giving up as many yards as we did and letting them go right down the field on us. Steelers now are in a MUST win situation here the last 2 weeks against the Rams and Ravens nothing is for sure now after today.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-16-2007, 05:18 PM
Tells you that the loss of Aaron Smith as well really affected the running game that simply cannot get overlooked. But still no excuse for giving up as many yards as we did and letting them go right down the field on us. Steelers now are in a MUST win situation here the last 2 weeks against the Rams and Ravens nothing is for sure now after today.

Stop with the freaking excuses....The Jags missed many key players on their D today and their D still did enough to win the game....Steelers fans are very good at excuses....From Troy's sorry year to injuries.....:lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-16-2007, 05:23 PM
224 yds rushing today that we allowed, it just doesn't get any worse than that...that's the story of the game right there.

NOVA STEELERS
12-16-2007, 05:28 PM
Can Marvel Smith SUCK anymore then I already thought he did, 4 out of the 5 sacks were due to him standing there with his hands on his hips looking like a deer in headlights :wtf: get him out of there already

LarryNJ
12-16-2007, 05:29 PM
Worse than the D in my mind is the O-line. Sacks, hurrys, ect. I think that's the biggest issue this year and last year.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-16-2007, 05:35 PM
Can Marvel Smith SUCK anymore then I already thought he did, 4 out of the 5 sacks were due to him standing there with his hands on his hips looking like a deer in headlights :wtf: get him out of there already

Max Starks came in at some point in the 4th quarter but that was no help either.

Ambridge
12-16-2007, 05:47 PM
It just leaves you shaking your head.
Earlier in the season it seemed pretty obvious that the O-line along with the play calling was the main issue!!

Now the defense suddenly looks old and can be bulldozed at will.

Plenty of dead wood needs to be trimmed away on both sides of the ball at the end of the season.

Silverback 92
12-16-2007, 06:15 PM
marvel smith looked lost

StlersGuy
12-16-2007, 06:29 PM
marvel smith looked lost

the whole damn team looked lost :scratch:

matt89
12-16-2007, 06:33 PM
they just need to get it back together these next 2 wks and then the playoffs. looking like cleveland or possibly jax again.

JensK
12-16-2007, 06:52 PM
A few quick thoughts about the game... (turned out to more like a wall of text that some quick thoughts... my apologies)

3th and 10..... Jesus! i stopped counting them, but we gave them so many of those. Its not that we actually did that, but the way we did it. a quick draw and next thing we saw was Taylor having a new first down.

Our pass defence did an "ok" job today. Yes we give up to many gd plays, but we also had some fairly decent plays aswell today. The pass defence and the secondaries did not play like play-off defences should, but it sure had some nice plays.

Rushing defence... I shouldnt really get started to much on this, since i said some quick thoughts, and i sure got a lot of bad thoughts about that today. Steelers normally plays some smart defence. They don't fall into trick plays or draws on the runs.. They shut it down. They didnt do that today. It seemed like, if garrad just stepped back, it was CERTAIN that he would throw it. No way in hell he could give it to taylor... Alas, we know the outcome of that.

Troy Polamalu... I know theres been a lot of discussions on SA about wether he is good or not. If you have a look on the records, he is not having a season to remember, but i actually think he had a really good day today. He didnt have a sack, nor a interception, but he sure did have some tackles on the rushes at crusual places. He also had some good tackles on the recievers. I think he played a decent game over all (at least compared to the rest of the steelers defence)

Sacks... Sorry whats the word again? Arabic you say? We didnt sack Garrad one single time, if i recall correct (short term memory strickes back!). We tryed, and we were close a lot of times, but it seems like we are just a little slower than all the other teams. It was even worse against Patriots last week, where we also had a lot of OH SO CLOSE attemps, but we never actually made him suffer!

Offence.. Well, i don't think i really have to comment the first 3 quaters do i? The score tells it all. T E R R I B L E sir! 4th Quater had its moments thats for sure. The two TD drives showed us what we know the Steelers offence can do. Imo we need to start the games, being a couple of TD behind. Seems like thats the only way to get the Offence to actually make some big plays.

Steelers and the play-off... Well, everytime we lose, people get frustrated. I know i found my self destroying a class when ben threw that ball to Miller. Ofc, we are all disapointed, and its normal that everyone now thinks that Steelers is equal to Dolphins (who won over Ravens.. What'll be the next? Patriots lose?). I don't think its all that bad after all. We still have a great chance of winning the AFC north division tittle. Win the next to games and we are home safe. I know its not easy games, but to spite what everyone thinks right now, Steelers is a pretty great team. We havnt played the best football the last 4 games, but we find ways to win most of them. We may or may not have the best defence in the league, but we are still in lead in our division. So as for play-offs.. Im sure we'll do ok. Noone expects the Steelers to win the SB, but if we can go into the play-off and give whoever we are facing a good game, i believe the Steelers have done a gj. It also gives me hope for the seasons to come. Tomlin have a lot to think about after his first season. Hes got some interresting players, and some interresting draft opportunities. We have seen some really great games from the Steelers this year, so i believe that the future looks good.

We are 9-5, we are still in lead in our division and we can finish this our self. HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!

matt89
12-16-2007, 06:55 PM
A few quick thoughts about the game... (turned out to more like a wall of text that some quick thoughts... my apologies)

3th and 10..... Jesus! i stopped counting them, but we gave them so many of those. Its not that we actually did that, but the way we did it. a quick draw and next thing we saw was Taylor having a new first down.

Our pass defence did an "ok" job today. Yes we give up to many gd plays, but we also had some fairly decent plays aswell today. The pass defence and the secondaries did not play like play-off defences should, but it sure had some nice plays.

Rushing defence... I shouldnt really get started to much on this, since i said some quick thoughts, and i sure got a lot of bad thoughts about that today. Steelers normally plays some smart defence. They don't fall into trick plays or draws on the runs.. They shut it down. They didnt do that today. It seemed like, if garrad just stepped back, it was CERTAIN that he would throw it. No way in hell he could give it to taylor... Alas, we know the outcome of that.

Troy Polamalu... I know theres been a lot of discussions on SA about wether he is good or not. If you have a look on the records, he is not having a season to remember, but i actually think he had a really good day today. He didnt have a sack, nor a interception, but he sure did have some tackles on the rushes at crusual places. He also had some good tackles on the recievers. I think he played a decent game over all (at least compared to the rest of the steelers defence)

Sacks... Sorry whats the word again? Arabic you say? We didnt sack Garrad one single time, if i recall correct (short term memory strickes back!). We tryed, and we were close a lot of times, but it seems like we are just a little slower than all the other teams. It was even worse against Patriots last week, where we also had a lot of OH SO CLOSE attemps, but we never actually made him suffer!

Offence.. Well, i don't think i really have to comment the first 3 quaters do i? The score tells it all. T E R R I B L E sir! 4th Quater had its moments thats for sure. The two TD drives showed us what we know the Steelers offence can do. Imo we need to start the games, being a couple of TD behind. Seems like thats the only way to get the Offence to actually make some big plays.

Steelers and the play-off... Well, everytime we lose, people get frustrated. I know i found my self destroying a class when ben threw that ball to Miller. Ofc, we are all disapointed, and its normal that everyone now thinks that Steelers is equal to Dolphins (who won over Ravens.. What'll be the next? Patriots lose?). I don't think its all that bad after all. We still have a great chance of winning the AFC north division tittle. Win the next to games and we are home safe. I know its not easy games, but to spite what everyone thinks right now, Steelers is a pretty great team. We havnt played the best football the last 4 games, but we find ways to win most of them. We may or may not have the best defence in the league, but we are still in lead in our division. So as for play-offs.. Im sure we'll do ok. Noone expects the Steelers to win the SB, but if we can go into the play-off and give whoever we are facing a good game, i believe the Steelers have done a gj. It also gives me hope for the seasons to come. Tomlin have a lot to think about after his first season. Hes got some interresting players, and some interresting draft opportunities. We have seen some really great games from the Steelers this year, so i believe that the future looks good.

We are 9-5, we are still in lead in our division and we can finish this our self. HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!

thanks,awesome quote. everyone just needs to calm down,tomlin is a good coach,i'm sure he'll be able to straighten things out.

Zachintosh66
12-16-2007, 07:15 PM
m. smith still hurt?

TampaSteelGirl
12-16-2007, 07:21 PM
Stop with the freaking excuses....The Jags missed many key players on their D today and their D still did enough to win the game....Steelers fans are very good at excuses....From Troy's sorry year to injuries.....:lol:

Wrong!!!!!!! The loss of Aaron Smith is HUGE for our defense period!!!

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
I"m troubled that a "warm weather" team can come into our house (which we were undefeated) and beat us in the freaking snow!!!

Troy had a good game. He was trying hard and was all over the place. He did miss that one big tackle that caused a huge hole for the running back to gain alot of yards for a first down, but I think for the most party Troy had a good game considered he's been out with injries for several games! :tt02:

SteelerFan87
12-16-2007, 07:50 PM
Negatives:
- Marvel "The Matador" Smith strikes again! Why were so many writers and TV guys complimenting Smith so much earlier in the season? He is NOT GOOD. He may do ok against bad teams, but whenever a good defense brings pressure at him, he just folds like a lawn chair. How are you supposed to win games when you can't trust your LT, you CERTAINLY can't trust your Center, and your RT is mediocre at best?

- Defense. I don't even have to say anything. You all know all that needs to be said. All I'll say is that those guys should be embarrassed. That was absolutely disgraceful. I saw 11 guys out there wearing black and gold, but I did NOT see the Pittsburgh Steelers Defense.

- Were the refs actually officiating, or were they just watching the game? IDK how many times I saw the Jags block our guys in the back. Polamalu got thrown out of a play on a big Taylor run because some guy blocked him in the back. The announcers said "oh look Polamalu over pursued there", but it was actually a block in the back that pushed him out of Taylor's way. And that one deep pass to Holmes early in the game should have been pass interference. The DB fell down, knew he was out of the play, so he just tripped/tackled Holmes by the legs. If that doesn't happen, Holmes jumps up to catch that ball and it's an easy TD. And then the refs called roughing the passer on us for hitting Garrard below the knees, but when Ben gets hit below the knees, there's no flag. I'm so sick of that. Ben gets crushed all the time, helmet to helmet, below the knees, after the throw, whatever, and it NEVER gets called.

Positives:
- Ben is the man. As long as we have him, we'll always be capable of making a run at a championship. He is definitely a franchise QB. Now we just have to make sure the rest of the team around him is good enough.

- Troy had a good game, IMO. He was all over the place, showing off that great closing speed he has.

- Willie Parker was running extremely well. 100 yards on just 14 carries?! Against the Jacksonville D? Truly a great performance by him. The past 2 weeks he's been running much better.

- Nice play by Nate on that TD, taking one for the team with the way he landed badly on his knee.

- Nice play be Wilson on that trick play for the 2 point conversion.

- Huge INT by Anthony Smith to give the team some life and possibly save the season. If it wasn't for that play, I think the Steelers get blown out showing no signs of life, and that would have been the end of the season, IMO.

- The punt/kick coverage was about a MILLION percent better than it had been all year.

BRICKTOWN BEAST
12-16-2007, 08:41 PM
i think we could have won if we didnt get fooled by the same exact draw play TWICE! when it was crucial and if could actually stop 4 downs. and also if Bruce Arians wasn't our OC

BlitzburghRockCity
12-16-2007, 08:44 PM
Bruce wasn't the problem today...the only real bad call was that 4th down play on our final drive when he had Ben do a play that called for a pass short of the sticks and made Heath try and get it. You NEVER call that kind of play with the game on the line, you need to have a play that atleast gets you even with the yard markers.

yinzer
12-17-2007, 10:29 AM

I've been saying that all season! When starks was in, ben was getting NO pressure from the blind side. I just don't get it. I understand that the coaches gave smith the starting position for a reason but are they too blind to see how bad smith is? Starks is playing better. Its crunch time now. Its a little late to be worrying about hurting smith's feelings. Take that piece of crap out. He just sucks. Bruce arians needs to be stoned. No matter how you slice it, he flat out is the worst offensive coordinator in the league. Period. It's pretty bad when I can sit and watch the game and literally predict 95 percent of the offensive play calls. I'm not asking for trickery. Where are the shots down field?? Why does every team do it to us but we never return the favor? I know the O-line is horrendous (especially smith) but its way too easy to predict run, run, pass. I don't think arians will be in pittsburgh next year but it's a shame the 2007 season is tainted because arians doesn't know how to run plays. It's the same discussion every week. We all talk about how bad bruce arians is. Is there anything wrong with firing him at this point in the season? Or would tomlin have to worry about stupid union policies? I just wonder if tomlin ever pulls arians a side and asks him what the hell he is thinking! There's no humility! Arians never takes blame!

[AutoMerged Post Below]

Bruce wasn't the problem today...the only real bad call was that 4th down play on our final drive when he had Ben do a play that called for a pass short of the sticks and made Heath try and get it. You NEVER call that kind of play with the game on the line, you need to have a play that atleast gets you even with the yard markers.

Arians is ALWAYS the problem. I don't ever crucify anyone but he singlehandedly has lost games for us. That's right. Singlehandedly.

[AutoMerged Post Below]

m. smith still hurt?

No. He just sucks so he will blame his "injury" on his **** poor performance.