PDA

View Full Version : Bettis' Book!~

Steelerlyn
12-15-2007, 09:16 PM
This is a thread many of you posted in, including me. http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8763&highlight=bettis%27+book

I just finished this book and it is an awesome read. JB is one class act and I was not at all disappointed in anything he said. Much of the quotes from the PPG were taken out of context to sell newspapers.

If you consider yourself a true Steeler fan and don't mind reading 211 (then there are 7 pages of acknowledgements) fantastic pages, do yourself a favor and ask for this book for Christmas.

JB dedicated the book to his father and ended page 211 saying, "If I get enough zeros behind the first few numbers I would love to buy an NFL franchise. If I did Coach Cowher would be one of my first hires, either as the head coach, the general manager or an advisor. The man understands coaching, talent evaluation, and the business of the game."

After reading the book, JB's admiration for his teammates, the Rooneys and for Cowher stand out.

Living in the state of Michigan, Jerome could go to 4 different schools, the bigger ones Michigan State (MSU was a total joke to him..........he wanted to go to scUM or University of Michigan)and University of Michigan JB also was the # 1 football player in the state of Michigan and he was leaning toward going to scUM but JB says "then Michigan screwed it up" In early December Bo (scUM's coach at that time....and the most winnigest active coach in Division I-A). Anyway Bo went to Akron to recruit Ricky Powers, then a few days later Schembechler resigned as football coach because of heart problems. JB was pretty upset with Bo going to Akron when Jerome was in Bo's backyard-the #1 player in the state of Michigan........JB says," he couldn't even give me a call, a heads up that he was going to retire? But he had time to go to Ohio and see Ricky Powers? That's when I knew where I really stood with Michigan. Powers was the #1 kid they wanted. Michigan was giving me a lot of lip service, but the proof is in the pudding. They were telling me I was a Michigan Man and the guy they wanted but I couldn't even get a phone call from the head coach? Not even a "We like you but I am calling it quits and Gary Moeller is going to take over. He'll get in touch with you" But I got nothing, Absolutely nothing. And I was just down the road from Ann Arbor." Michigan lost alot of ground, all because noone had the courtesy to pick up a phone.

All I am saying is buy the book if you get a chance! You will not regret it!~

BlitzburghRockCity
12-15-2007, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the review Lyn, I was wondering if any more members might have read the book since all the initial controversy. I was thinking before about picking this up but I kind of tabled it after all the interviews that happened and words that were said shortly afterwards but maybe I'll get a copy now.

steelersgal86
12-16-2007, 08:15 AM
Thanks Lyn...I have been thinking about getting it myself...and I think I am now...maybe this week...or maybe santa will bring it...:dunno:

Steelerlyn
12-16-2007, 07:04 PM
It is definitely a book you will want to read again and something alll Bus fans should own. Like Steelersgal said, Santy is coming so put it on your list :)

BlitzburghNation
12-17-2007, 08:43 PM
Great heads up Lyn,,,,,,,,:bigthumb:

Not much of a reader as you already know,But this book really interests me
Think i'm gonna check it out !

SteelCityPride08
12-17-2007, 08:53 PM
i gotta get that book

DIESELMAN
12-17-2007, 09:18 PM
Is there a DVD coming out? :haha: Just playin...the book sounds good...Thanks Lyn!!!

steelersgal86
12-18-2007, 06:43 AM
Great heads up Lyn,,,,,,,,:bigthumb:

Not much of a reader as you already know,But this book really interests me
Think i'm gonna check it out !

:iagree: I am not a reader, but I think this book would keep my interest. :dunno:

Miridius
12-18-2007, 09:23 AM
i have not had a chance to read it. Mostly because i have barelly enough time to breathe between jobs.

Anyway, i had heard that in this book he speaks of faking injury so as not to be cut by the steelers and in this way costing them bu not allowing the recruiting of a h-back. Making them rely on second/third hb's.

Is that true? whats the story....

Miridius

Blitzburghpete
12-18-2007, 06:43 PM
Hey Miridus,

I've read the book too.

This crap about his injury. Went along the lines of something like this.

Cowher was making it clear he was loosing faith in the Bus. Jermome then lists all the things he'd done to his body and put it on the line and goes into what he had had to endure to play sometimes.

Basically the "fake injury" was a real one but a hangover from the previous season. He knew was gonna be trouble for him for the upcoming season, but he just needed a few weeks rest and it would get better.

So to get himself in shape, he didn't fake the injury, he HAD one, just he down on a play to make it look like the knee injury was new when in fact it was old, so he couldn't be cut and stay with the team.

I'm not sure that's quite right but thats the general gist of it. I would have done the same in his siutation to and the media have blown what really happened out of all proportion.

It's a great read and there are lots of tit bits for us steeler fans to enjoy from some of the behind the scenes descissions that happened.

Great book and left me thinking the Bus was great and always will be one!

Miridius
12-18-2007, 10:23 PM
awesome, thanks, like i said ive not had a chance to read it. I should pick it up soon.
I liked him and was always happy to have him, and i got shocked when i was told that. But i wanted to make sure and clear things up.

Miridius

BlitzburghRockCity
12-18-2007, 10:27 PM
:iagree: I am not a reader

There's help for that

http://smartkidsstore.com/store/catalog/images/hooked-read-names-1.jpg

:lol: :lol:

Sorry SG, I couldn't resist that one!

Miridius
12-18-2007, 10:32 PM
lmao ! nice

How did you know.......

Miridius

TEEMONT
12-18-2007, 10:55 PM
This is a thread many of you posted in, including me. http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8763&highlight=bettis%27+book

I just finished this book and it is an awesome read. JB is one class act and I was not at all disappointed in anything he said. Much of the quotes from the PPG were taken out of context to sell newspapers.

If you consider yourself a true Steeler fan and don't mind reading 211 (then there are 7 pages of acknowledgements) fantastic pages, do yourself a favor and ask for this book for Christmas.

JB dedicated the book to his father and ended page 211 saying, "If I get enough zeros behind the first few numbers I would love to buy an NFL franchise. If I did Coach Cowher would be one of my first hires, either as the head coach, the general manager or an advisor. The man understands coaching, talent evaluation, and the business of the game."

After reading the book, JB's admiration for his teammates, the Rooneys and for Cowher stand out.

Living in the state of Michigan, Jerome could go to 4 different schools, the bigger ones Michigan State (MSU was a total joke to him..........he wanted to go to scUM or University of Michigan)and University of Michigan JB also was the # 1 football player in the state of Michigan and he was leaning toward going to scUM but JB says "then Michigan screwed it up" In early December Bo (scUM's coach at that time....and the most winnigest active coach in Division I-A). Anyway Bo went to Akron to recruit Ricky Powers, then a few days later Schembechler resigned as football coach because of heart problems. JB was pretty upset with Bo going to Akron when Jerome was in Bo's backyard-the #1 player in the state of Michigan........JB says," he couldn't even give me a call, a heads up that he was going to retire? But he had time to go to Ohio and see Ricky Powers? That's when I knew where I really stood with Michigan. Powers was the #1 kid they wanted. Michigan was giving me a lot of lip service, but the proof is in the pudding. They were telling me I was a Michigan Man and the guy they wanted but I couldn't even get a phone call from the head coach? Not even a "We like you but I am calling it quits and Gary Moeller is going to take over. He'll get in touch with you" But I got nothing, Absolutely nothing. And I was just down the road from Ann Arbor." Michigan lost alot of ground, all because noone had the courtesy to pick up a phone.

All I am saying is buy the book if you get a chance! You will not regret it!~
Funny, it took a complete foul up on UM's part for Bettis to not want to go there, just goes to show how much of a joke MSU really is.

steelersgal86
12-19-2007, 05:18 AM
There's help for that

http://smartkidsstore.com/store/catalog/images/hooked-read-names-1.jpg

:lol: :lol:

Sorry SG, I couldn't resist that one!

I guess I opened myself up for that....:nono::nono: