PDA

View Full Version : Steelers that SHOULD make the Probowl... article in 12/13 Beaver County Times

steelcitysfinestXL
12-13-2007, 11:26 AM
Column: These Steelers should make the Pro Bowl
ADVERTISEMENT

By Mikes Bires, Times Sports Staff
Published: Thursday, December 13, 2007 9:23 AM EST
When it comes to choosing the best players in the NFL, the campaign trail has reached its end. There will be no more debates. Election Day has arrived. Starting today, players and coaches throughout the league must fill out their Pro Bowl ballots.

The winners in this three-way process — the fan vote is already tabulated — get an expense-paid trip to Hawaii and a handsome paycheck. That’s why in the next 48 hours, players and coaches will take their time and vote for the most deserving stars in the league. Ballots must be turned in by Friday.

With a 9-4 record, the Steelers will surely be well represented. Here’s a look at the Steelers most likely to be honored when the Pro Bowl team is announced on Dec. 18.

BEN ROETHLISBERGER It’s hard to imagine the AFC team not including New England’s Tom Brady, Indianapolis’ Peyton Manning and Big Ben. Brady and Manning are no-brainers. They’re prolific passers with plenty of star power, and they’re playing for the AFC’s top two teams. There is growing sentiment for Jacksonville’s David Garrard, who’s having a terrific season with the 9-4 Jaguars. Garrard, in his first year as a starter, is the AFC’s second-rated QB at 103.3 behind Brady (123.5). Still, Roethlisberger is the AFC’s third-rated passer (101.4). And although Garrard has thrown only one interception all year compared to Roethlisberger’s 11, the Steelers’ QB has a 26-13 edge in touchdown passes.

WILLIE PARKER It’s been 10 years since a Steelers halfback made it to the Pro Bowl in back-to-back seasons (Jerome Bettis, 1996-97). But it’s going to happen again. After all, Parker leads the NFL in rushing (1,217 yards). Parker has rushed for 100 yards or more in seven games this year, and his 124-yard effort in a losing cause Sunday in New England wrapped up another Pro Bowl spot.

ALAN FANECA In the fans’ vote, it was strange to see Cleveland’s Eric Steinbach as the leading vote-getter among AFC guards. That’s usually reserved for Faneca. Sure, Steinbach was a significant free agent acquisition who’s helped the Browns move into playoff contention. And he might make the Pro Bowl team. That said, it would be a travesty if Faneca doesn’t make it for the seventh straight year. Faneca might not be the most dominating guard in the league right now (that distinction probably goes to New England’s Logan Mankins). But Faneca still rates among the NFL’s elite offensive lineman.

JAMES HARRISON The AFC Pro Bowl roster must have a spot for at least one linebacker from the NFL’s top-ranked defense. Certainly, San Diego’s Shawne Merriman (11.5 sacks) and New England’s Mike Vrabel (9.5 sacks) figure to start in the Pro Bowl. But the third outside linebacker must go to Harrison, who’s recorded 8.5 sacks, an interception and a league-high seven forced fumbles.

JAMES FARRIOR Last year, Miami’s Zach Thomas started for the AFC at middle linebacker. But he won’t be back this year due to injuries. Last year, Baltimore’s Bart Scott was the AFC’s other inside backer. But this year, he’s one of the league’s most disappointing players. That leaves the door open for Farrior, an 11th-year pro, to make his first Pro Bowl appearance since 2004 when he was the team MVP.

I agree w/ Ben, Willie, James and James... Alan, i wouldnt be mad eitherway but i think he will due to the fan votes!!! I like Marvel so far this year, I have to figure Hampton also due to fan votes!!! Troy missed too much time to even get a fan vote... just as well it would have been a shame if he would have made it this season!!! I had Ike picked to go in the preseason but that doesnt look as though its possible... but he is playing much better(-against Moss)!!! Hawaii is all a moot point if were not playing in ARI come feb. in my book though!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-13-2007, 11:56 AM
If Faneca gets in it will be because of his reputation because he hasn't had the years that we're used to seeing from him in the past. The Pro Bowl is a popularity contest anyways so it won't surprise me if he makes it. Ben will have a tough time simply because he's in the AFC with Brady, Manning, and Palmer. Personally I think Ben should get it over Palmer this year but we'll see.

Silverback definitely deserves a nod, so does Parker. Farrior is back to being the force that we missed last year but I could also make a case for Foote as well.

With Hines setting Steeler records this year he may have a shot too, atleast as a reserve.

black an gold 4 life
12-13-2007, 12:04 PM
N MY OPINON I THINK FANECA SHOULD NOT MAKE IT, HE HAS PLAYED BAD THIS YEAR AN I KNOW IT'S BECAUSE HE'S TRYING NOT 2 GET INJURED...............HE SAID IT HIMSELF AT THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR, BECAUSE HE WANTS THAT BIG PAY DAY....................I AGREE WITH U STEELCITYFINEST ON THE OTHER SELECTIONS, THE OTHERS HAVE PUT IT DOWN 4 US THIS YEAR...............

K Train
12-13-2007, 12:22 PM
sepulveda....

TampaSteelGirl
12-13-2007, 12:30 PM
Ummmm! WHERE IS HEATH MILLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :willybs:

SteelCityPride08
12-13-2007, 12:38 PM
everyone thats listed should go besides Faneca, this year he has not being playing as well as he usually does

K Train
12-13-2007, 12:39 PM

gates, gonzo, winslow....not gonna happen for heath

MDSteel15
12-13-2007, 01:11 PM

unfortunately, BINGO! And don't forget the little guy from Indy!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-13-2007, 01:30 PM
Dallas Clarke..

Yeah Heath is in the same boat as Ben is, they are both exceptional at their positions but they'd have to have an absolutely sick year in just about every stat category to make the pro bowl over the more well known players at their same position.

steelcitysfinestXL
12-13-2007, 02:24 PM

YES!!! When i was writting this i was like... i know im forgetting somone obvious!!! DAMN ME!!! Heath should make it hands down... Dallas Clark is having a great year too though...

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
Yeah Winslow is having a great year too!!! Not too sure about Gates, i havent heard his name much and i dont watch many SD games!!!

K Train
12-13-2007, 02:52 PM
YES!!! When i was writting this i was like... i know im forgetting somone obvious!!! DAMN ME!!! Heath should make it hands down... Dallas Clark is having a great year too though...

[AutoMerged Post Below]
Yeah Winslow is having a great year too!!! Not too sure about Gates, i havent heard his name much and i dont watch many SD games!!!

doesnt matter...gates has the name and he rep, plus its not like hes having a bad year. Heath hasnt had a great year though, hes slowed down some after a strong start

steelcitysfinestXL
12-13-2007, 02:55 PM
doesnt matter...gates has the name and he rep, plus its not like hes having a bad year. Heath hasnt had a great year though, hes slowed down some after a strong start

Dont it seem like thats his MO he comes out on fire and then its like you never hear from him but once or twice a game!!

Koopa
12-13-2007, 05:04 PM
harrison, farrior, and ben are the only ones i totally agree deserve to go..........willie is only in by default, when you lead the league in carries by like 40 carries and is barely hanging on to the rushing title then you ain't having that good of a year, it's hard not to get his numbers when you rush 800 times

if ben doesn't go then the pro bowl is bullshit, well it already is, but he's the third best qb in the afc........garrard ain't ****, he doesn't even throw that much so of course he ain't gonna throw many ints........ben even has more rushing yards and less attempts then him lol

Koopa
12-13-2007, 05:05 PM

this is bens fault too.........ben is always looking to the highlight play he pretty much tells heath to go suck on a dick.....if heath would be used right he'd still be doing badass, but since we have the worse OC in the league and can't do **** in the redzone anymore heath seems to have fallen off

BlitzburghRockCity
12-13-2007, 05:09 PM
Dont it seem like thats his MO he comes out on fire and then its like you never hear from him but once or twice a game!!

Heath still catches everything Ben throws at him, he should still finish with his best year to date, stat wise. In years past it was BC and his influence in the play calling that hampered players like Heath from having the impact that he does. He's already on pace to break his TD record that he had in 2005 when he caught 6, last year he caught 5, this year he has 6 and we still have 3 games to go. I think he should go but he's got stiff competition with big names so the likelihood is remote unfortunately.

| 2005 pit | 16 | 39 459 11.8 6 |
| 2006 pit | 16 | 34 393 11.6 5 |
| 2007 pit | 13 | 41 515 12.6 6 |

Black@Gold Forever32
12-13-2007, 06:10 PM
A couple weeks ago Derek Anderson was 3rd among AFC QBs in fan voting...Ben was 4th and Carson was 5th....But thats only a 1/3 of the vote....Coaches and players across the NFL vote for the Pro Bowl also...I did my part...I voted for Ben,Parker,Holmes,Miller,Harrison, and Sepulveda.....

Koopa
12-13-2007, 06:19 PM
wow, if derek anderson makes it, that will be the saddest thing ever and ben might as well just forget about ever going to the pro bowl....

kgreen
12-13-2007, 07:27 PM

That sucks, because he has had an awesome year!:tt02: He has been bye far one of the best draft picks of this decade for us. It's Miller Time!:tt02:

Iron City South
12-13-2007, 07:29 PM
Harrison and Parker should be the only 2 Steelers going .... PERIOD.

K Train
12-13-2007, 07:39 PM

and ben, and sepulveda

BlitzburghRockCity
12-13-2007, 07:42 PM

Says you :reddevil: A case can be easily made for all of the others we mentioned but based on their competition and how popular they are it's not realistic to think they would all make it even with the great year our defense is having.

Iron City South
12-13-2007, 08:41 PM
and ben, and sepulveda

No, just Parker and Silverback ..... Everybody else deserves to stay home.

As the 3rd best AFC QB, Ben doesn't really even qualify as an alternate. However I would nominate BR for NFL Comeback Player of the Year.

Sepulveda hasn't done anything stellar this year to deserve it. In fact, he choked on a few key punts recently which was extremely disappointing to so. I still like the guy long term though ....

Black@Gold Forever32
12-13-2007, 09:06 PM
Who makes it ahead of Ben as the 3rd QB in the AFC then? Derek Anderson, Carson Palmer or David Garrad?...lol Come on Ben has to make it and deserves it......

Iron City South
12-13-2007, 09:30 PM
Who makes it ahead of Ben as the 3rd QB in the AFC then? Derek Anderson, Carson Palmer or David Garrad?...lol Come on Ben has to make it and deserves it......

Haven't you heard? ... David Gerrard is the new Michael Vick. Actually he's a hybrid between Vick and Jesus Christ..... he can perform miracles on the field.

Seriously though, Gerrard is turning some heads. Jags are 9-4 and currently have a halo effect .... meaning "everybody is rooting for the underdog."

K Train
12-13-2007, 09:34 PM
No, just Parker and Silverback ..... Everybody else deserves to stay home.

how the **** do you justify parker going over ben...thats ****ing retarded

Koopa
12-13-2007, 09:43 PM

true that.........willie has nothing to do with our success, last year he might have won us games, but this year he hasn't done **** but run 873493478934 times to barely be leading the lead in rushing........ben has been running for his life most of the time and is putting up superior numbers to garrard.......and derek anderson isn't having that much of a better season, he has as many tds, but has thrown almost 100 times more and has more ints and has a ****** completion percentage......so i wouldn't put him ahead of ben either

it's tom brady, peyton manning, and ben roethlisberger as this years qb's for the pro bowl

willie gets in by default cause there isn't that many other good backs in the afc, it's l.t., willie, and probably adai cause i don't know who else is that good in the afc

BlitzburghRockCity
12-13-2007, 09:57 PM
RB's in the AFC in general this year are down in yards, with LT not having a year like previous ones and Larry Johnson not doing anything it makes FWP look all the better so he makes it this no problem but I want to really see is how well he does next year when we have a tougher schedule to play.

Carson is still a popular vote but the way the Bengals have underachieved this year Ben's only competition for the 3rd QB is Garrod and if that's the case then he should get it hands down IMO.

K Train
12-13-2007, 09:58 PM
tomlinson and addai are locks, willie is a level below and will probably get it but thats because ronnie brown got hurt who was having an awesome year on a **** *** team before he got hurt.

if ben doesnt make it, its a crime...anderson might get credit for the browns revival but he is ****, he has 3 massive targets to throw to....he relies on them to go get it more than anything. Ben has been awesome this year and has put up career numbers

Iron City South
12-13-2007, 10:28 PM

It's not retarded. One happens to hold the #1 spot in his class of craft and the other does not.

If Ben were holding one of the top 2 spot in the QB catagory right now, he would have earned his spot.

Koopa
12-13-2007, 10:31 PM
It's not retarded. One happens to hold the #1 spot in his class of craft and the other does not.

If Ben were holding one of the top 2 spot in the QB catagory right now, he would have earned his spot.

he holds it by 17 yards and with about 40 more carries that's not worth bragging about at all

and ben isn't on a team that would allow him, tom is superior as is manning, but no one else in teh afc is.......

K Train
12-13-2007, 10:31 PM

he has been a major disappointment this year and **** you if you say otherwise...he owns the #1 spot in his class of craft???? my ***, he has like 2 TDs this year, he holds the yards at the moment but he will be passed after he gets 19 yards rushing on 75 carries against those earthquakes jacksonville calls defensive tackles....

Koopa
12-13-2007, 10:34 PM
he has been a major disappointment this year and **** you if you say otherwise...he owns the #1 spot in his class of craft???? my ***, he has like 2 TDs this year, he holds the yards at the moment but he will be passed after he gets 19 yards rushing on 75 carries against those earthquakes jacksonville calls defensive tackles....

19 yards?? wow........you are really being kind there, he'll be lucky to break double digits on that many carries :lol:............damn i hate willie parker and all taht slob on his knob :lol:

Iron City South
12-13-2007, 10:36 PM

What part of "Parker is the #1 rushing back in the league right now" ... do you not understand?

You may not agree with it, but it is .... what it is.

Koopa
12-13-2007, 10:39 PM
What part of "Parker is the #1 rushing back in the league right now" ... do you not understand?

You may not agree with it, but it is .... what it is.

rushing yards don't make you the best, l.t. is doing far more then him and even though he had a slow start to the season he's not far back yardage adn he owns him on recieving yards and rushing tds.......willie is at the top only cause he's ran 572349572304578 more times then any one.......your argument would work if he hadn't ran so much more then anyone but since he has it's hard to buy it as a legit argument

K Train
12-13-2007, 10:43 PM
his YPC is weak and it will continue to go down this week...he has like 13 yards more than anyone else....big deal hes been a disappointment plain and simple, we wouldve won a few more game if couldve got it going...he wont get the rushing title this year and he will have far less TD than the best backs in the league

Koopa
12-13-2007, 10:45 PM
his YPC is weak and it will continue to go down this week...he has like 13 yards more than anyone else....big deal hes been a disappointment plain and simple, we wouldve won a few more game if couldve got it going...he wont get the rushing title this year and he will have far less TD than the best backs in the league

i love that i'm not the only one disappointed in willie, each and every week he shows why he went undrafted......he'll be lucky to finish 3rd in the rushing title race

Iron City South
12-13-2007, 10:50 PM
rushing yards don't make you the best

Semantics: Rushing yards may not make you "the best", as you put it .... but it doesn't take away the fact that the MOST RUSHING YARDS make you #1 in the league.

Parker is a good running back, but he will NEVER turn the corner to become "great" ... or become an elite back. Why? .... for the very reason that for every 20+ yard run he breaks, he has 8 carries that net 8 yards. His vision sucks ... he dosesn't have that special knack for sniffing out the right hole to hit. When he does and breaks into the 2nd level, his decision making ability is below average which tells me he does not run instinctively.

K Train
12-13-2007, 10:51 PM
i love willie, but damn he had a huge year last year when the rest of the team played like ****tards, he had 13 TDs and over 1200 rushing yards, he'll go over 1200 again but 2 TDs doesnt cut it when you get 500 carries in a season....thats a terrible ratio...not bad....terrible. the oline has part to do with it this year, but i wouldnt call the oline stellar last year either

Koopa
12-13-2007, 10:55 PM
i love willie, but damn he had a huge year last year when the rest of the team played like ****tards, he had 13 TDs and over 1200 rushing yards, he'll go over 1200 again but 2 TDs doesnt cut it when you get 500 carries in a season....thats a terrible ratio...not bad....terrible. the oline has part to do with it this year, but i wouldnt call the oline stellar last year either

it's always easy to be the best on a ****** team

Black@Gold Forever32
12-13-2007, 10:58 PM
Haven't you heard? ... David Gerrard is the new Michael Vick. Actually he's a hybrid between Vick and Jesus Christ..... he can perform miracles on the field.

Seriously though, Gerrard is turning some heads. Jags are 9-4 and currently have a halo effect .... meaning "everybody is rooting for the underdog."

David Garrard is having a fine season no doubt....But I'm sorrry I'll take 26 TDs over 13.....True Garrard has only one INT and that is very impressive....But Ben should go over Garrard.....Plus the Pro Bowl is based on peoples rep also....I would say Ben's past success will factor in also....Put that together with the kind of success Ben is having this year he should make it....

K Train
12-13-2007, 11:15 PM
im not saying willie wont be good again, i think one solid OT and center will make all the difference for him (cough* next year damnit). But he has struggled this year enough that i dont think he should go to the probowl...deny him that **** and make him work overtime to get to the level everyone expects him to be at. If mahan wasnt such a bitch im sure he'd have a better year, if we draft a badass OT, he'll have a much better year, but hes a good back that can play great with the right cast, he wont ever be that great back that can make **** happen all the time with nothing around him

SteelersWoman
12-14-2007, 02:48 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byposition?pos=QB&conference=AFC&year=season_2007&timeframe=ToDate&qualified=1&sort=49&old_category=QB

Ben IS third on the AFC list.
BR QB rating 101.4, PM 97.0.
Ben's completing 64.2% of passes, PM 62.2%.
Ben has 26 TDs, PM 27
Ben's INTs 11, PM 13

So Ben deserves to go--he's even doing better than the "great" Peyton Manning.

K Train
12-14-2007, 02:51 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byposition?pos=QB&conference=AFC&year=season_2007&timeframe=ToDate&qualified=1&sort=49&old_category=QB

Ben's completing 64.2% of passes, PM 62.2%.
Ben has 26 TDs, PM 27
Ben's INTs 11, PM 13

there it is all you stat whores (ISC)....might as well write it in stone

Koopa
12-14-2007, 02:58 AM

Ben's completing 66.2% of passes, PM 64.2%.
Ben has 26 TDs, PM 27
Ben's INTs 11, PM 13

ownage......i fixed the percentage though lol