PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Smith (DE) done for season

TampaSteelGirl
12-11-2007, 12:56 PM
I just heard Tomlin on Sirius radio saying Aaron Smith is out with a torn bicep! This is really bad for us!!

SteelerFan87
12-11-2007, 01:01 PM
**** **** **** **** ****!

Not good! Who's going to step in for him? Kirschke?

TampaSteelGirl
12-11-2007, 01:02 PM
shiat shiat shiat shiat shiat!

Not good! Who's going to step in for him? Kirschke?

Yes that's what he said.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-11-2007, 01:03 PM
A torn bicep? When did that happen on sunday??? That means he could be done for the year ! :cursin:

TampaSteelGirl
12-11-2007, 01:05 PM
A torn bicep? When did that happen on sunday??? That means he could be done for the year ! :cursin:

Yes during the game yesterday. Tomlin said that was pretty bad for him and he said "you all know what that means."

BlitzburghRockCity
12-11-2007, 01:07 PM
Wow so we are short now on the DL for the rest of the year, that makes it harder to substitute and keep guys fresh who have experience. You can't just plug in someone to take Smith's place and expect the same output so the rest of the defense is going to have to step up big time. Arron has a motor that won't quite and he's a huge part of our defense... this sux !!

SteelerFan87
12-11-2007, 01:21 PM
Maybe they could try Woodley in there? He played DE in college. :dunno:

Friday133
12-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Steelers lose defensive end Smith for season
Tuesday, December 11, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers received more bad news from their loss in New England when they learned they also will lose defensive end Aaron Smith for the season.

Smith has a biceps tear and likely will be lost for the season. Coach Mike Tomlin revealed the injury at his press conference this afternoon.

There was no immediate word on who will replace Smith in the starting lineup, nor who the Steelers might sign to replace him on their roster.

"It will require more than one man," Tomlin said.

Travis Kirschke and Nick Eason, two veteran backups, could both be used.

Post-Gazette (http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07345/840810-66.stm)

SteelerFan87
12-11-2007, 01:25 PM
****!

Any word on how it happened?

BlitzburghRockCity
12-11-2007, 01:28 PM
Post-Gazette (http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07345/840810-66.stm)

thanks for the 411 Friday !

Yeah it's definitely going to take more than 1 guy to fill his void. This is where McBean could really be used on the team if he showed even an ounce of worthiness in making this squad back in camp.

DIESELMAN
12-11-2007, 01:29 PM
That would be a good idea but he's been battling a hamstring injury.

black an gold 4 life
12-11-2007, 01:55 PM
MAN JUST WHAT WE NEED MORE INJURIES OHWELL WE HAVE 2 MAN UP AN PLAY WITH WHAT WE HAVE I JUST HOPE WERE FOCUSED 4 THE JAGS BECASUE WE NEED AN WIN............

K Train
12-11-2007, 02:02 PM
woodley could not be a 3-4 end if he tried, hes way to small, he could play 4-3 end or 3-4 OLB...and hes kinda an undersized 4-3 end

we got guys that stepped in for him before, we'll be fine

Ambridge
12-11-2007, 02:03 PM
Damn!!...Damn!!...and...DAMN!!

Smith is done!! :(
Players with torn Biceps, Triceps, Pec Muscles and pretty much torn anything go immediately on IR. :(

Kirschke is a solid back-up.
Nick Eason is Cleveland Brown reject.

This really sucks.

Koopa
12-11-2007, 03:06 PM
sucks, but not like we were gonna win the super bowl in the first place, so i'm not that devastated about the loss.....gonna suck if we lose the division to the browns though.........

Silverback 92
12-11-2007, 03:09 PM
things keep gettin worse, Im waiting for some Good News dang it

ARKIESTEEL
12-11-2007, 03:22 PM
woodley could not be a 3-4 end if he tried, hes way to small, he could play 4-3 end or 3-4 OLB...and hes kinda an undersized 4-3 end

I think K train is right...its not like we lost Ben. We are ok. The back up guys might play their guts out trying to earn a spot never can tell:crossfingers:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-11-2007, 03:23 PM

Yeah he was out for a few weeks earlier in the season and our backups did OK but at the same the same time it's a risk because the DL is not an area that we are strong depth wise, in quality or quantity of players so Im wondering if we'll activate someone from the PS or bring in a new face this week to help with the rotation of players.

Here's the 411 from steelers.com

Smith could be done for season

By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Defensive end Aaron Smith suffered a bicep tear that Mike Tomlin said “there is a strong possibility” could require surgery and end his season.

“It of course is not good,” said Tomlin. “We’ll decide later in the day how we proceed with that. That’s a big loss for him and our football team. That’s the nature of this game, people get injured and other people have an opportunity to step up. That’s the way we will approach it.

“I am sorry for Aaron. That guy loves to play football. He is an extremely tough worker and a leader for our football team.”

Defensive ends Travis Kirschke and Nick Eason will both get playing time due to the injury. Smith missed two games earlier this season, at Cincinnati and against Baltimore at Heinz Field due to a knee injury.

In other injury news offensive tackle Willie Colon has a knee strain that could limit him early in the week and wide receiver Santonio Holmes may also be limited early in the week because of his ankle injury, but is expected to play on Sunday against Jacksonville.

Linebacker Andre Frazier (groin), cornerback Bryant McFadden (ankle) and Ben Roethlisberger (shoulder) are banged up, but their injuries are considered to be minor.

The Steelers did get some good news with safety Troy Polamalu and linebacker LaMarr Woodley both expected to practice this week and possibly return to action.

NOVA STEELERS
12-11-2007, 03:40 PM

By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Defensive end Aaron Smith suffered a bicep tear that Mike Tomlin said “there is a strong possibility” could require surgery and end his season.

“It of course is not good,” said Tomlin. “We’ll decide later in the day how we proceed with that. That’s a big loss for him and our football team. That’s the nature of this game, people get injured and other people have an opportunity to step up. That’s the way we will approach it.

“I am sorry for Aaron. That guy loves to play football. He is an extremely tough worker and a leader for our football team.”

Defensive ends Travis Kirschke and Nick Eason will both get playing time due to the injury. Smith missed two games earlier this season, at Cincinnati and against Baltimore at Heinz Field due to a knee injury.

In other injury news offensive tackle Willie Colon has a knee strain that could limit him early in the week and wide receiver Santonio Holmes may also be limited early in the week because of his ankle injury, but is expected to play on Sunday against Jacksonville.

Linebacker Andre Frazier (groin), cornerback Bryant McFadden (ankle) and Ben Roethlisberger (shoulder) are banged up, but their injuries are considered to be minor.

The Steelers did get some good news with safety Troy Polamalu and linebacker LaMarr Woodley both expected to practice this week and possibly return to action.

:banging: Aaron will be missed on the D line, he was out against the bungels when watson almost ran for 100 and he was out againt the jets when thomas jones run for 117 on us, RUT ROE not likin this at all :banging:

Black@Gold Forever32
12-11-2007, 04:05 PM
Ok....Like Train mentioned noway Woodley can play DE in a 3-4 on a regular basis...lol People Aaron Smith is 6-5 and close to 300 pounds.....Woodely is far from that...lol Only way Woodley plays DE is in passing situations...Which would be 3rd and long...

As for Aaron Smith this blows big time......We resigned him also....Why doesn't it seem most of the time when the Rooney's do resign players it blows up in their face.......lol Chad Scott, DeWayne Washington come to mind....Plus Troy isn't the same player he was in 04 and 05 after resigning a huge deal.....

Smith is getting up there and has been banged up all season...Which is alarming since there isn't any young talent waiting in the wings....Hope he can rebound next year and stay healthy....He will be missed.....Nick Eason or Travis Kirschke will replace Aaron...lol Thats sad....

StlersGuy
12-11-2007, 04:19 PM
PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Steelers' loss at New England keeps getting worse.

Aaron Smith, one of the Steelers' best defensive players, is out for the rest of the season after he tore a biceps muscle during the 21-point loss to the Patriots on Sunday.

Smith, a defensive end, is an excellent run defender and one of the Steelers' most reliable players since breaking into the NFL as a fourth-round draft pick in 1999. He tried to keep playing during the 34-13 loss, but had to be replaced several times.

Coach Mike Tomlin knew that was a bad sign, and post-game tests revealed the tear. Smith apparently was not hurt on a specific play, but may have gone into the game with a partial tear that became worse as he played.

"Being the guy he is, he continued on," Tomlin said Tuesday. "He came out a few times, and that was worrisome because this guy doesn't come out of games."

Smith is used infrequently as a pass rusher in the Steelers' blitz-heavy defense, which didn't sack Patriots quarterback Tom Brady. The 31-year-old Smith does have a fumble recovery and an interception this season, and his ability to control offensive linemen regularly leads to sacks by the Steelers' linebackers.

Smith missed most of three games with a knee injury earlier this season and was replaced by Nick Eason. Travis Kirschke is also expected to get more playing time with Smith out.

The injury is not expected to be career threatening, Tomlin said.

"You're saddened for Aaron because he's a quality person and a quality player and he loves playing the game," Tomlin said.

Despite being outscored 17-0 in the second half by New England, the Steelers (9-4) still have a clear path to the AFC North title. They lead the Browns (8-5) by one game with three to play and, because they swept the season series with Cleveland, their lead is effectively two games.

The Steelers could clinch the division as early as Sunday when they play Jacksonville (9-4) at home and the Browns play the Bills (7-6) in Cleveland.

However, Sunday's loss may have ended the Steelers' chances of overtaking Indianapolis and being the second seed in the AFC playoffs, a spot that guarantees a week off and at least one home playoff game.

Now, even if they're seeded third, the Steelers would have to win a wild-card game at home, then, very likely, would have to win at Indianapolis (11-2) and New England (13-0) on successive weekends to reach the Super Bowl.

The Steelers swept three road playoff games en route to winning the Super Bowl two years ago, but this team is 2-4 on the road with three losses in its last four road games.

Not that Tomlin is ready to begin speculating about the playoffs and postseason seeding, especially with Jacksonville up next and a road game against St. Louis (3-10) following four days after that.

"I live week to week, I really do," Tomlin said. "I don't feel great about where we are, I seek perfection like everyone else, but I don't feel bad, either. We live in the moment and we prepare for the next opportunity to play."

The next opportunity to play the Patriots, perhaps?

Patriots coach Bill Belichick didn't make a new friend in Tomlin with his postgame comments about Steelers safety Anthony Smith, who was beaten twice in coverage for touchdowns. Smith's ill-advised guarantee of a Steelers win in Foxborough became a motivational tool for New England and the source for some derisive comments by Belichick.

Belichick suggested Smith was targeted because "the safety play at that position was pretty inviting." He also said the Patriots have "played against a lot better safeties than him."

Tomlin was displeased with Smith's pregame remarks, but he also didn't like another coach critiquing his players.

"I don't care what coach Belichick has to say after a game regarding our performance," Tomlin said. "I compliment them on a great game and we move forward. ... Do we need to play better? Absolutely. But it won't be because he said it."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80505b43&template=with-video&confirm=true

Iron City South
12-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Could be done? .....

Torn bicept? ..... the man is more "done" than a T-bone sitting over an open pit for more than 30 minutes.

Quick, somebody wheel out the next body ....

Ambridge
12-11-2007, 04:30 PM
Wasn't there already an Aaron Smith thread??

Aaron Smith will be missed with Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew coming to town.

At least things might even out because it's a good possibility that Jags DT Marcus Stroud will miss the game with a sprained ankle.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-11-2007, 04:39 PM
Wasn't there already an Aaron Smith thread??

Aaron Smith will be missed with Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew coming to town.

At least things might even out because it's a good possibility that Jags DT Marcus Stroud will miss the game with a sprained ankle.

It's the same one, she just had it renamed is all :bigthumb:

Stroud is a big part of their run stopping so if he doesn't play that should impact their ability in run defense pretty significantly I would think.

DIESELMAN
12-11-2007, 11:32 PM
Ok....Like Train mentioned noway Woodley can play DE in a 3-4 on a regular basis...lol People Aaron Smith is 6-5 and close to 300 pounds.....Woodely is far from that...lol Only way Woodley plays DE is in passing situations...Which would be 3rd and long...

As for Aaron Smith this blows big time......We resigned him also....Why doesn't it seem most of the time when the Rooney's do resign players it blows up in their face.......lol Chad Scott, DeWayne Washington come to mind....Plus Troy isn't the same player he was in 04 and 05 after resigning a huge deal.....

Smith is getting up there and has been banged up all season...Which is alarming since there isn't any young talent waiting in the wings....Hope he can rebound next year and stay healthy....He will be missed.....Nick Eason or Travis Kirschke will replace Aaron...lol Thats sad....

Better hope Travis's back holds up, I'm not to upbeat about him or Eason being in there. We activated McBean, not like he's going to be a miracle but who knows, give him some reps. I realize Woodley doesn't have the size for a DE, but plug him in somewhere, WTF do we got to lose. Nobody we got can ever replace Smith, he is the heart of the DL. The offense better turn it up a few notches, cuz if whoever is fillin in for Smith gets steamrolled, its going to be a long day.

K Train
12-11-2007, 11:40 PM
WTF do we got to lose.

so i guess youve all but given up at this point huh?

DIESELMAN
12-11-2007, 11:49 PM
so i guess youve all but given up at this point huh?
Hell no I'm not giving up, just throwin **** out there. Sorry if its not up to your approval ****er.

SteelerFan87
12-11-2007, 11:52 PM
Patriots coach Bill Belichick didn't make a new friend in Tomlin with his postgame comments about Steelers safety Anthony Smith, who was beaten twice in coverage for touchdowns. Smith's ill-advised guarantee of a Steelers win in Foxborough became a motivational tool for New England and the source for some derisive comments by Belichick.

Belichick suggested Smith was targeted because "the safety play at that position was pretty inviting." He also said the Patriots have "played against a lot better safeties than him."

Tomlin was displeased with Smith's pregame remarks, but he also didn't like another coach critiquing his players.

"I don't care what coach Belichick has to say after a game regarding our performance," Tomlin said. "I compliment them on a great game and we move forward. ... Do we need to play better? Absolutely. But it won't be because he said it."

I saw that on his press conference today. It's kind of hard to tell with Tomlin, and his words were as always very controlled, but you could tell he was PISSED at what Belichick said. Good! I love it! Let our guys, and coaches, be out for blood next time we play them!

K Train
12-11-2007, 11:56 PM
Hell no I'm not giving up, just throwin shiat out there. Sorry if its not up to your approval ****er.

calm the **** down, i'll tell you wtf we have to lose, a 9-4 season with a trip to the playoffs...you dont just say **** it and throw players in there to get destroyed when your on your way to the playoffs....we wouldnt have anything to lose if we were 3-10....but its not like we dont stand a chance this year....we lost to a few teams but all that doesnt matter when the playoffs come around

K Train
12-11-2007, 11:57 PM
I saw that on his press conference today. It's kind of hard to tell with Tomlin, and his words were as always very controlled, but you could tell he was PISSED at what Belichick said. Good! I love it! Let our guys, and coaches, be out for blood next time we play them!

wow belichick can die in a fire

DIESELMAN
12-12-2007, 12:03 AM
calm the **** down, i'll tell you wtf we have to lose, a 9-4 season with a trip to the playoffs...you dont just say **** it and throw players in there to get destroyed when your on your way to the playoffs....we wouldnt have anything to lose if we were 3-10....but its not like we dont stand a chance this year....we lost to a few teams but all that doesnt matter when the playoffs come around
All I'm sayin is Eason (Cleveland reject) and Kirschke (continuous back problems) in there doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. Smith, like I said is the heart of our DL, he pushes and manhandles lineman around so the LB's can get after it. I just hope that whatever rotation we use can hold their own. There is no give up in me Kyle. I know whats on the line, just hope the players realize it to.

K Train
12-12-2007, 12:11 AM
All I'm sayin is Eason (Cleveland reject) and Kirschke (continuous back problems) in there doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. Smith, like I said is the heart of our DL, he pushes and manhandles lineman around so the LB's can get after it. I just hope that whatever rotation we use can hold their own. There is no give up in me Kyle. I know whats on the line, just hope the players realize it to.

i think the guys we have can handle it at least on a limited basis, for christ sake its their only job. i realize that smith was important, but guys step up. we might see woodley and haggans do some DE work, but it would have to be a 4-3 look, with keisel, hamp, hoke and one of them as a pass rusher...could be interesting to see some looks were gonna have to come up with

woodely could play 4-3 end, but he would need hoke and hamp to help him alot, hes very strong and would be a bull rusher kinda like freeney, they are about the same size

DIESELMAN
12-12-2007, 12:23 AM
i think the guys we have can handle it at least on a limited basis, for christ sake its their only job. i realize that smith was important, but guys step up. we might see woodley and haggans do some DE work, but it would have to be a 4-3 look, with keisel, hamp, hoke and one of them as a pass rusher...could be interesting to see some looks were gonna have to come up with
Yeah the 4-3 popped in my head to, coming out in a 4-3 at times would screw with the Jags (not that we will). McBean should know the playbook by now :crossfingers: and Mitchell was always high on him, maybe this is his chance to come through for us.

Steelersfan
12-12-2007, 12:32 AM

That stood out to me too 87! I'm hoping we get another shot at them in the playoffs to be honest. I really think if we play the way this team is capable of we can hand it to them!
They can be run on, the can be thrown on, we just need to put the ball in the endzone!
And if we had stayed up on their WR's we could contain that offense of theirs. You won't stop it but we can play a better overall game. Which puts us in a great spot to win.

SteelerFan87
12-12-2007, 12:59 AM
That stood out to me too 87! I'm hoping we get another shot at them in the playoffs to be honest. I really think if we play the way this team is capable of we can hand it to them!
They can be run on, the can be thrown on, we just need to put the ball in the endzone!
And if we had stayed up on their WR's we could contain that offense of theirs. You won't stop it but we can play a better overall game. Which puts us in a great spot to win.

Yeah, their greatest weakness, other than their mediocre D, is their arrogance. They only switched to that short passing game that picked us apart AFTER they had gotten a big lead, and they just wanted to use up the clock. If we come out and score early and often and get a lead, the pressure will be on them to outscore us. And they think they can, easily. So they'll keep coming at us with their quick strike deep passing game, which means Brady has to hold the ball longer, which means more time for us to get pressure, and if we actually play disciplined at the safety position, we can just camp out deep and lay out their WRs whenever they get into Smith's and Polamalu's sights, like what we did to the Bengals WRs. We really did a pretty good job of containing their normal deep passing offense, other than those 2 big plays where we bit on fakes, but that can be corrected. Where they really started to carve up our D was after those big plays, when our D was on it's heels, and they started just dinking and dunking and picking the D apart. I'd feel very comfortable getting a lead and making Brady force deep passes in a stubborn attempt to score quickly, just because they're the Patriots and they're supposed to be the gods of football who can score at will.

Steelersfan
12-12-2007, 01:04 AM
They started doing that "dink dunk" crap when we backed off their WR's. I don't know why we ever do that to be honest. Someone has to hit them at the line to throw the offense out of whack.
If we had stayed up on them and kept bringing people (and got Smith in the game!) we would have been ok on D. Good enough to have had a shot to win the game.

SteelerFan87
12-12-2007, 01:18 AM
They started doing that "dink dunk" crap when we backed off their WR's. I don't know why we ever do that to be honest. Someone has to hit them at the line to throw the offense out of whack.
If we had stayed up on them and kept bringing people (and got Smith in the game!) we would have been ok on D. Good enough to have had a shot to win the game.

Yeah, but those big plays knocked us back onto our heels, and we couldn't be aggressive and dictate to them, they had a chance to dictate to us. When the Steelers D falls back on it's heels and tries to react, instead of being aggressive and dictating to the opponent, our whole D falls apart.

Eliminate those 2 big plays, and keep the momentum from shifting as violently to the Pats as it did, and our defense stays aggressive and doesn't fall apart.

Steelersfan
12-12-2007, 01:23 AM
Yeah, but those big plays knocked us back onto our heels, and we couldn't be aggressive and dictate to them, they had a chance to dictate to us. When the Steelers D falls back on it's heels and tries to react, instead of being aggressive and dictating to the opponent, our whole D falls apart.

Eliminate those 2 big plays, and keep the momentum from shifting as violently to the Pats as it did, and our defense stays aggressive and doesn't fall apart.

I got to disagree with that. They had two big plays and we went into the half down by 4. We came out in the second half and got scared and played off them and they chewed us up! Had we stayed playing the way we did in the first half on D (minus our safeties with their heads up their ***!....lol) we had a very good shot of winning. The CB's played soft and you can't, can't! do that against this team. It has never worked for us before and still won't.

BlitzburghNation
12-12-2007, 02:19 AM
I got to disagree with that. They had two big plays and we went into the half down by 4. We came out in the second half and got scared and played off them and they chewed us up! Had we stayed playing the way we did in the first half on D (minus our safeties with their heads up their ***!....lol) we had a very good shot of winning. The CB's played soft and you can't, can't! do that against this team. It has never worked for us before and still won't.

:ditto:
What really amazes me,,,,,,,,,:scratch: :popcorn: They didn't shut down Moss,I really thought he would have a bad day and we wouldn't let him burn us like he did,,,,,,,,:banging:

Also that stupid :moon: pass back to brady for a TD :cursin:
Why the hell smith didn't stay out there,,,,,,,,,:scratch:
He had no chance of making a play on that ~~~~ :cursin:

My 2 Biggest disappointment's in this game ,,,,,,,:popcorn:
We never brought the wood on the WR's,,,,,,,,I really thought we would knock
the ***T out of there WR's everytime they caught a pass :banging:

Also should've run FWP more and kept the ball outta brady's hands !

Gonna Miss Big A's intensity on the field,,,,,,,,, :cursin:
Maybe we should play a 5-3 Defense & see what woodley & timmons can do
:haha:

Prosdo
12-12-2007, 10:07 AM
This sucks! Really gonna hurt the D-line.

TEEMONT
12-12-2007, 10:16 AM
Yeah the 4-3 popped in my head to, coming out in a 4-3 at times would screw with the Jags (not that we will). McBean should know the playbook by now :crossfingers: and Mitchell was always high on him, maybe this is his chance to come through for us.

I was thinking McBean the whole time I was reading this thread, and am glad someone brought him up.

He is on the practice squad right? Is there any chance of him being put on the 53 man? I would actually like to see what this kid could do in a real game. I have a hard time believing Kirshke and Eason will be solid answers.

yinzer
12-12-2007, 01:38 PM

I would ratherl have Woodley in there than anybody else.

DIESELMAN
12-14-2007, 10:22 AM
Smith had surgery on his torn right biceps yesterday. He was told that his arm would be in a sling for six weeks. Smith leads Steelers defensive linemen in solo tackles (36), sacks (3) and fumble recoveries (2). He first noticed the pain on the second series of Sunday’s game at New England, but finished the game. Doctors told him he might’ve been playing with the injury all season, and that the tear could be the result of “a cumulative effect.”

BlitzburghRockCity
12-14-2007, 11:26 AM
He'll have plenty of time to heal up and shouldn't have any problems being ready for mini camps next spring.

TampaSteelGirl
12-14-2007, 11:53 AM
Hopes for a speedy recovery for him!! :tt02:

Iron City South
12-14-2007, 12:17 PM
I think it's time to start thinking about a replacement for Smith since it usually takes a few years to groom the young one's ...

BlitzburghRockCity
12-14-2007, 01:53 PM
Sooner or later they will have to use a day 1 pick on a DL instead of constantly drafting the scrubs who end up doing nothing but becoming training camp fodder. I would image in the next couple years they'll spend a high round pick on a solid DL.