PDA

View Full Version : Steelers cut Marvin Phillip (C)

Iron City South
12-10-2007, 09:54 PM
Just read it on the wire ...... Oh well, add him to the long and distinguished list of failed scrub offensive lineman that have been drafted by this team over the years.

Want to know how pittiful our drafting has become? We have drafted 12 olinemen this decade and only 4 have been able to start.. And one of those starters (Starks) has since lost his job to a player who is not much better if at all (Colon). And while Simmons is a "starter" I think it is safe to say that everyone here thinks that he sucks.

Of the bunch only Marvel Smith has done a decent job. The rest have been perienial bench warmers or failed to not only make our team but ANY team after being cut. :yesnod:

Let's review:

2000- Marvel Smith. Decent but far from a great or franchise LT.

2001- Mathias Nkwenti and Chukky Okobi.. Nkwenti was a joke and Okobi after YEARS of being groomed to take over not only could not win the C job but could not lock down a position on the Cardinals.

2002- Simmons. Starter and only God knows why.

2003- None taken.

2004- Starks (decent at first but leveled off quickly and has not taken the next step), Bo Lacy (flocking joke), Drew Caylor (bigger flocking joke).

2005- Essex and Kemoeatu.. Neither could win jobs when jobs were "open" to competition. I still think Kemo should have won the job over Simmons but that is just me. Essex appears to be a bust like the others.

2006- Colon and Philips. Colon is the current starter at RT but almost by default because Starks sucked so bad. I would like to see Colon at OG. Philip appears to be a joke like the rest.

2007- Cameron Stephenson.... Is he even on the practice squad??

Black@Gold Forever32
12-10-2007, 09:58 PM
Thats a sad list of Oline that was drafted...lol Thank you Cowher and Colbert for drafting these scrubs....I have been screaming for years that Smith is good at LT but better suited for RT....This team would be much better with a true LT.....The center spot is sad right now....Need to upgrade badly....Mahan has been average at best.....

K Train
12-10-2007, 10:00 PM
at least were good at finding linebackers lol

SteelerFan87
12-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Psst... Steelers.... that's not the Center you should be getting rid of. lol

I really would like to know what the plan is in regards to Centers. Let's cut every single guy we have, except Mahan. If Mahan gets hurt, do we play without a Center? Is that the strategy? :lol:

K Train
12-10-2007, 10:19 PM
mahan cant get hurt....he doesnt get enough contact...the only way he'd get hurt is if he flys backwards off the ball to fast to avoid any contact and trips on ben lol

Koopa
12-10-2007, 10:23 PM
okobi got a raw deal, he didn't lose the starting job because of bad play, he out performed mahan in the offseason stuff.......but he got hurt and then money played a big factor.....okobi may not be that good but he's better then mahan could ever dream of lol

K Train
12-10-2007, 10:25 PM
i was waiting for the pic lol

SteelerFan87
12-10-2007, 10:31 PM

The one of Okobi with his middle finger up and the Super Bowl ring on it? Can someone photoshop Mahan's face into that picture, so Okobi is flicking him off? :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-10-2007, 10:39 PM
So what's the reasoning behind it, are we signing somebody else? :scratch: or Mahan just that good that we don't need a backup Center anymore :wtf:

Iron City South
12-10-2007, 10:44 PM
I really would like to know what the plan is in regards to Centers. Let's cut every single guy we have, except Mahan. If Mahan gets hurt, do we play without a Center? Is that the strategy? :lol:

Our 1st round pick next year WILL be a Center .. a new era anchor of our OL ... bet it.

Mahan goes over to Faneca's vacant LG spot (which he is better suited for), Kimo battles Simmons for the RG spot .... Smith stays at LT, and Colin battles Starks for RT spot (possibly ... if they want to resign Starks .... we'll see how that goes). Colin and Mahan will be valuable due to their ability to play other positions.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-10-2007, 10:47 PM
Apparently the strategy is to draft every lineman possible that we know will flop just so we can draft some more who will flop, but we'll be sure to keep those guys around as backups because they have so much "potential"..and then we'll give them an open competition in the 2007 training camp just to see who can step and an flop again so we can be sure that we have absolutely no good line to speak of for the entire 2007 season !! :banging:

We let ourself get way too outdated at the OL position and it's biting us in the *** big time.

Koopa
12-10-2007, 10:51 PM

here you go

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/lucmclend20/925619729_l.jpg

something mahan will never have on his finger

DIESELMAN
12-10-2007, 10:57 PM
So what's the reasoning behind it, are we signing somebody else? :scratch: or Mahan just that good that we don't need a backup Center anymore :wtf:

The Steelers claimed linebacker Marquis Cooper and added him to their active roster. Cooper was claimed off waivers from the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Cooper (6-3, 220), a four-year veteran, was released by the Steelers earlier this year (Sept. 19) and was signed by the Jacksonville Jaguars on Nov. 27. He played in one game for the Jaguars (Week 13 versus Indianapolis).
To make room for Cooper, the Steelers released Marvin Philip. Philip, a second-year center, spent time on both the Steelersí active roster and practice squad this year

K Train
12-10-2007, 10:57 PM
Our 1st round pick next year WILL be a Center .. a new era anchor of our OL ... bet it.

Mahan goes over to Faneca's vacant LG spot (which he is better suited for), Kimo battles Simmons for the RG spot .... Smith stays at LT, and Colin battles Starks for RT spot (possibly ... if they want to resign Starks .... we'll see how that goes). Colin and Mahan will be valuable due to their ability to play other positions.

the quote above is dumb

black an gold 4 life
12-10-2007, 11:55 PM
i agree on some points koopa but i think they address rt n the free agent market, they definetly draft the best center or rt n the 1st round, if any r left, faneca needs 2 b gone wilfolk made him look bad yesterday colon sucks big time , starks may not want 2 b here he's an unrestricted f.a, so we have 2 up grade the o-line positon as well as the d-line we need quality depth on the d-line.................

K Train
12-11-2007, 12:03 AM
i agree on some points koopa but i think they address rt n the free agent market, they definetly draft the best center or rt n the 1st round, if any r left, faneca needs 2 b gone wilfolk made him look bad yesterday colon sucks big time , starks may not want 2 b here he's an unrestricted f.a, so we have 2 up grade the o-line positon as well as the d-line we need quality depth on the d-line.................
i despise reading your posts but i will respond anyway.

THERE ARE NO CENTERS WORTH TAKING I THE FIRST ROUND. there rarely is, center is not a first round position, and neither is guard unless you can get an absolute stud. We will take a tackle, its our biggest need and the only spot with first round value in a class stacked with OTs. Once we get THAT OT, everything else will fall into place, hopefully with colon as a guard. and we draft a solid center in the 3rd

Iron City South
12-11-2007, 12:18 AM
the quote above is dumb

No, dumb is when you don't have the capacity to verbally convey or explain what you're thinking ..... you just say things are "dumb"

Koopa
12-11-2007, 12:19 AM
No, dumb is when you don't have the capacity to verbally convey or explain what you're thinking ..... you just say things are "dumb"

he says it's dumb because this year there is no center first round worthy

K Train
12-11-2007, 12:22 AM

look in the 08 beast thread that YOU created....

K Train
12-11-2007, 12:22 AM
he says it's dumb because this year there is no center first round worthy

not even close to first round worthy

Iron City South
12-11-2007, 12:24 AM
Take your pick ....

2008 Draft Class - Centers

C (average drafted = 9)
1. *Alex Mack - Cal - 6'5 305 (2-3)
2. Drew Miller - Florida - 6'5 302 (3-5)
3. Steve Justice - Wake Forest - 6'4 285 (3-5)
4. Cody Wallace - Texas A&M - 6'4 300 (3-5)
5. Mike Pollak - AZ State - 6'4 295 (5-6)
6. Kory Lichtensteiger - Bowling Green - 6'3 300 (5-6)
7. John Sullivan - Notre Dame - 6'3 305 (6-7)
8. Doug Legursky - Marshall - 6'3 310 (6-7)
9. John Masters - Michigan State - 6'3 300 (6-7)
10. Adam Spieker - Missouri - 6'3 300 (6-7)

BlitzburghRockCity
12-11-2007, 12:26 AM
The Steelers claimed linebacker Marquis Cooper and added him to their active roster. Cooper was claimed off waivers from the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Cooper (6-3, 220), a four-year veteran, was released by the Steelers earlier this year (Sept. 19) and was signed by the Jacksonville Jaguars on Nov. 27. He played in one game for the Jaguars (Week 13 versus Indianapolis).
To make room for Cooper, the Steelers released Marvin Philip. Philip, a second-year center, spent time on both the Steelersí active roster and practice squad this year

Sounds like we are taking a page from the Jags playbook, remember when they picked up former Steeler players just to get an edge against us.. coughcough Troy Edwards coughcough , so this seems to me that maybe we are looking for an edge in this game.

You never know...

K Train
12-11-2007, 12:29 AM
Take your pick ....

2008 Draft Class - Centers

C (average drafted = 9)
1. *Alex Mack - Cal - 6'5 305 (2-3)
2. Drew Miller - Florida - 6'5 302 (3-5)
3. Steve Justice - Wake Forest - 6'4 285 (3-5)
4. Cody Wallace - Texas A&M - 6'4 300 (3-5)
5. Mike Pollak - AZ State - 6'4 295 (5-6)
6. Kory Lichtensteiger - Bowling Green - 6'3 300 (5-6)
7. John Sullivan - Notre Dame - 6'3 305 (6-7)
8. Doug Legursky - Marshall - 6'3 310 (6-7)
9. John Masters - Michigan State - 6'3 300 (6-7)
10. Adam Spieker - Missouri - 6'3 300 (6-7)

no thanks....me and b@g32 were talking about legursky....he might be an animal, but hes fat and we ask out guards and centers to pull alot...at least he would be a bruiser. Not one of those guys will go in the first round, there is no one even close to being a nick mangold of 08...not even close...we draft a tackle, not a center

Black@Gold Forever32
12-11-2007, 12:33 AM
This draft is loaded with OT talent......I think the Steelers can get a really good player late in the first round and even a LT....So I think LT is the way to go....A Center needs be drafted though.....Not in the first round.....Maybe 2nd but I would even wait until the 3rd.....

DIESELMAN
12-11-2007, 12:48 AM
We need lineman who are football smart, they don't necessarily have to be the most talented. We need 5 guys who fit with each other, Colon is NOT a tackle (a RT anyways) and Mahan is NOT a center. They both need to go back to bein guards. As far as center goes, we might want to check the want ads :lol: seriously....wait and see what goin on in FA, cuz their ain't a whole lot comin outta college.

K Train
12-11-2007, 12:57 AM
not exactly a star studded list

- Center Ranking Name Position Old Team New Team
1 Jeff Faine OC New Orleans Saints
2 Seth McKinney OC Cleveland Browns
3 Andy McCollum OC St. Louis Rams
4 John Wade OC Tampa Bay Buccaneers
5 Jeremy Newberry OC Oakland Raiders

Iron City South
12-11-2007, 01:10 AM
no thanks....me and b@g32 were talking about legursky....he might be an animal, but hes fat and we ask out guards and centers to pull alot...at least he would be a bruiser. Not one of those guys will go in the first round, there is no one even close to being a nick mangold of 08...not even close...we draft a tackle, not a center

You could be right. I didn't realize how thin the C crop was this year. Looking at the OT's .... the talent runs much deeper.

OT (average drafted = 24)
1. Jake Long - Michigan (1)
2. *Ryan Clady - Boise St (1)
3. Sam Baker - USC (1)
4. *Michael Oher- Ole Miss (1)
5. Jeff Otah - Pitt (1-2)
6. Gosder Cherilus - Boston Colege (1-2)
7. Chris Williams - Vanderbilt (2-3)
8. *Alex Boone - Ohio State (2-3)
9. *Phil Loadholt - Oklahoma (2-3)
10. Tony Hills - Texas (2-3)
11. Kirk Barton - Ohio State (3-4)
12. Barry Richardson - Clemson (3-4)
13. Mike McGlynn - Pitt (4-5)
14. Max Unger - Oregon (4-5)
15. King Dunlap - Auburn (4-5)
16. John Greco - Toleda (4-5)
17. Sean Sester - Purdue (5-6)
18. Jeremy Zuttah - Rutgers (4-6)
19. Duane Brown - Virginia Tech (5-6)
20. Pedro Sosa - Rutgers (5-6)
21. Michael Butterworth - Slippery Rock 6'7" 334 (7)

DIESELMAN
12-11-2007, 01:14 AM
not exactly a star studded list

- Center Ranking Name Position Old Team New Team
1 Jeff Faine OC New Orleans Saints
2 Seth McKinney OC Cleveland Browns
3 Andy McCollum OC St. Louis Rams
4 John Wade OC Tampa Bay Buccaneers
5 Jeremy Newberry OC Oakland Raiders

That figures.... somehow, someway, we need to find the next converted G to C ala Jeff Hartings. Hartings was pure hustle on every snap, using technique, strength and good old fashioned effort. When Hartings wasnít mauling defensive linemen, he was 10 yards downfield beating up worn out linebackers. I wonder if Zeirlein will even be asked for his 2 cents in the war room considering the train wreck we call a OL. I think we need a different approach to scouting lineman in college then what we've done in the past. Colbert hasn't been getting it done, thats for sure.

MDSteel15
12-11-2007, 02:54 AM

Cody Wallace in the 4th Round would be sweet. At A&M they know how to run the ball.