PDA

View Full Version : Plays and tactics that could have costed us the game

Infern0
12-10-2007, 06:30 PM
Just looking for your opinions.

#1: 3rd down Willie. Hasn't worked in the past, why would it today? He is great, but until the o line improves, he is stuck running on first.

#2: Ward's rejection. Dont know about you, but there was plenty of oppertunities where he could have done some damage but Ben passed it to others.

#3: Not anticipating trickery. Self explanitory.

#4: Too much blitz. Don't blitz if they are burning you on the short passes! A given.

#5: Smith. 3 of the four tds were his fault. Get someone else in there. Guarantee my @ss.

Any others?

SteelerFan87
12-10-2007, 07:04 PM
#6: Giving the Pats receivers a cushion. How many times must we be picked apart by the short passing game before we realize that maybe it's time to start hitting those guys at the line of scrimmage? The Eagles did it. The Ravens did it. But we ignored their success in favor of our stubborn, soft, strategy.

black an gold 4 life
12-10-2007, 07:10 PM
YEA I AGREE WITH BOTH U GUYS, I LIKE THE GAME PLAN IN THE 1ST HALVE BUT WE SHOULD OF BUMP AN RUN WITH THEM THE SECOND HALVE,BUT REMEMBER WE WAS ALSO WITHOUT OUR TOP SAFETY BUT WE STILL SHOULD'VE WON THE CHEATERS AIN'T ****....................

Infern0
12-10-2007, 07:12 PM
#6: Giving the Pats receivers a cushion. How many times must we be picked apart by the short passing game before we realize that maybe it's time to start hitting those guys at the line of scrimmage? The Eagles did it. The Ravens did it. But we ignored their success in favor of our stubborn, soft, strategy.

Yeah, probably the biggest reason right there.

#7: Not keep an LB home. Very often they were sent, which left the middle field prone to receptions. Brady works good under pressure, and if Foote or Harrison stayed center, we could have cut tose receptions in half.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-10-2007, 08:14 PM
#4: Too much blitz. Don't blitz if they are burning you on the short passes! A given.

Disagree..when they are burning you with the short pass then send 1 more guy atleast then they can block and force him to hold the ball longer and disrupt the timing of the plays. If you sit there and drop 6 or 7 guys they will still find holes, the key to stopping any offense in the NFL is pressure. You bring the pressure and get to the QB and that stops any offense dead in it's tracks.

Now the key is that the pressure has to get there because if it doesn't then you are vulnerable.

K Train
12-10-2007, 08:16 PM
trickery my ***...that play was a busted fumble cluster****...not trickery

BlitzburghRockCity
12-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Yeah if you all are talking about that flea flicker gone haywire that moss dropped and then through back to Brady, yes that was a busted play they just kept with it and finished the play unlike our safeties that decided to stop playing and then got burnt.

K Train
12-10-2007, 08:32 PM
gaffney said theyve been working on that play for a while now....he can die in a fire

BlitzburghRockCity
12-10-2007, 08:40 PM
They may have been working on it for awhile now but they stole that **** from us back a couple years ago against the Bengals.

K Train
12-10-2007, 08:42 PM
but he made it sound like it was a called play....it obviously wasnt lol

kgreen
12-10-2007, 09:11 PM

YES! Cover 2 press worked in the past two close calls with the Pathetics,my question: why deviate? If it works use it. I think LeBeau is getting too old for his job. No offense to him, I love the man just like the next Yinzer, but the fact remains: his stuff can get too complicated.

Infern0
12-10-2007, 09:19 PM
Basically I am saying go back to the basics. There are plays when safties came up and cbs dropped thier men.

Koopa
12-10-2007, 09:20 PM
that's what i didn't get when everyone kept saying we were physical, hell no we ain't, sure we may hit hard after they catch, but we play soft on wrs, it's seem we've always have

kgreen
12-10-2007, 09:23 PM
#7: Going away from Heath/Holmes. Throwing WR screens. And my favorite: running in the 4th quarter. Why did we go away from Heath after first drive? Where did Santonio go? Our play calling sucked in the 4th Quarter, we simply layed down. That makes me feel worse about getting wacked 34-13. I would feel 5% better if we had actually TRIED in the last 8 minutes of the Game! Why do we insist on throwing WR screens? It works maybe once or twice in a game. Yet we throw about 4 or 5 a game. Then we try stupid double moves when the defense knows we like going deep. I miss Whiz. His playing calling was great (especially in the playoffs). Arians is a bum, he needs to go back the Cleveland or demoted to WR coach. We promised to go to the TEs more this year and lately we've gone away from that. I can understand wanting to give the ball the Hines against the Bengals, but my god Heath is open A LOT. We have a lot to fix if we have any hope of beating a very good Jacksonville team. Keep with what worker at the beginning of they year and my god get a freaking power back! Najeh is a good 3rd Down back, but we need a bruiser.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------

that's what i didn't get when everyone kept saying we were physical, hell no we ain't, sure we may hit hard after they catch, but we play soft on wrs, it's seem we've always have

It is LeBeau's Zone Blitz. It is getting old. Most offenses like Nickel and Diming now a days and quite frankly I hope Tomlin makes the switch to a 4-3. It would suit guys like Woodley and Timmons. The 4-3 "Tampa 2" (really should be the "Noll 2", but w/e) plays the west coast offense better. Look at Indy's D.

Infern0
12-10-2007, 09:23 PM
+ 1 on the running in 4th. Poor move, didnt give a chance at all.

Is it me, or did the Pats give us a taste of our own poison?

kgreen
12-10-2007, 09:25 PM
+ 1 on the running in 4th. Poor move, didnt give a chance at all.

Is it me, or did the Pats give us a taste of our own poison?

Yeah I am shocked they didn't run up the score yesterday. They actually ran the ball with a big lead. That doesn't take away from the fact that they acted like immature middle-schoolers all game. I hope Indy cleans their clock in the post season.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-10-2007, 09:27 PM
-The Pats know that teams can't make a living by running on us.
-The Pats also know that they don't have to run to score a lot of points so they just don't bother to do so.

They basically stuck to their MO of the entire year and dared us to stop them and we couldn't. They blocked better in the 2nd half and that opened up everything for them in their passing game.

Infern0
12-10-2007, 09:29 PM
Well our strategy was to run the ball to run down the clock... heres #9.

#9: Running down clock without sufficient lead (or no lead at all): I understand that Brady is weakest when he isnt playing, but when you have an offense that is that good, you should concentrate on scoring. Dont run down the clock when you are behind.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-10-2007, 09:32 PM
By running the ball effectively you keep their offense off the field and give yourself a chance to run a lot of time off the clock but the key is that you have to sustain the drive and get the TD because FG's don't do jack against the Pats. We were able to move the ball with the run but we kept going away from it and then when we wanted to run in the redzone we couldn't anyways so we try to get tricky at the goal line and get burnt yet again.

Infern0
12-10-2007, 09:34 PM
Exactly, but when you are behind by 14 points and still running the ball? Whos call is that? Oh yeah, our good friend the OC.

SteelerFan87
12-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Yeah if you all are talking about that flea flicker gone haywire that moss dropped and then through back to Brady, yes that was a busted play they just kept with it and finished the play unlike our safeties that decided to stop playing and then got burnt.

No, that was a called trick play. Apparently they had been working on it for the Ravens. They called it "Ravens Special". lol what a gay name.

The only reason it looked like a broken play is because despite all their practice at it, they still couldn't execute it as crisply as we did against the Bungles.

yinzer
12-10-2007, 11:45 PM
#8. fire bruce arians

Infern0
12-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Ill give him one more game before I say fire him. But hes pretty low in my book.

DIESELMAN
12-12-2007, 08:19 PM
Ill give him one more game before I say fire him. But hes pretty low in my book.

Yeah, considering we're 9-4 (he's hangin on by the smallest rope), but something has to change with the play calling. NOW!!!!! :helmet: