PDA

View Full Version : Updated playoff scenarios here this coming week for the Steelers...

Troyisabeast_43
12-10-2007, 02:18 PM
If the Steelers win against Jax (or Baltimore) they are in the playoffs. At 10-6, they win the divsion unless Cleve wins out If Cleve wins out they eliminate Buffalo as far as the Steelers are concerned. A win vs a conf opponent give them 8 Conference wins, Tennessee can't have more than 7. Steelers get a Wildcard at least.

If the Steelers win vs StL and finish 10-6. They will be 7-5 in the AFC. Again, they win the divsion unless Cleve wins out (where again the eliminate Buffalo). The only way the Steelers miss the playoffs is if Tennessee wins the tiebreaker with them by winning out and finishing 10-6. But it will come down to Strength of Victory which could still go the Steelers way.

One win and the Steelers are almost certainly in the playoffs.

AZ_Steeler
12-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Eliminate all scenarios and just win out :D

BlitzburghRockCity
12-10-2007, 03:29 PM

That's the best scenario and the only one we should focus ourselves on. Having to rely on somebody else to get in just sux and let's face if we blow the chance to continue to control our own destiny then we don't deserve to get in anyways.

That being said I want nothing more than to see the Browns lose atleast one more and essentially take them out of contention.

Troyisabeast_43
12-10-2007, 03:53 PM
That Browns Bills game this weekend is not only huge in terms of who is going to get that last playoff spot in the AFC but its also huge in possibly determining who the Steelers are going to play here wildcard weekend assuming they win the division still which I still think they are going to do. If the Browns beat the Bills and the Steelers beat the Jags the Browns jump over the Jags for at least a week and are the number 5 seed because they would have a better conference record then the Jags by a half a game 7-4 to the Jags 6-4. If this does indeed happen that Browns Cincy game becomes huge for the Steelers the next week in determining who is going to be the 5 or 6 seed the Browns or Jags. Of course the Chargers could still jump the Steelers for the 3 seed if the Steelers lose another AFC game and the Chargers win out. But at this point that Bills and Browns game is going to determine a lot to who will get that last playoff spot. If the Bills somehow pull out a win in Cleveland they really really put a huge dagger in the Browns playoff hopes because they then would own the head to head over them and plus they have 2 winnable games to finish up speaking of the Bills playing the Giants at home who are good but inconsistent and are capable of losing any week and the Eagles on the road who arent very good at all. The Steelers at this point could go from being either the 3 or 4 seed and playing the Bills,Browns,Jags or Titans first game, or they could fall all the way to the 5 or 6 seed and end up playing the Chargers or Browns on the road wildcard weekend. We should know a lot more after this weekends game with the Jags and the Buffalo Browns game.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-10-2007, 03:56 PM
The bills are a lot like the Browns in that they can score and beat up on teams sub par teams so I expect that game to be pretty good in that respect but neither one of them has a snowballs chance in hell of doing anything into January because they can't stop anybody. That being said I hate the Clowns a lot more than the Bills so having Buffalo stick it to Cleveland would be great !

Troyisabeast_43
12-10-2007, 04:12 PM
It will be a very good game I give the edge to the Browns though since they are playing at home and have been very very good at home this year so far going 5-1 with their only loss being to the Steelers. With that being said I still think it will be a battle and it will come down to the end and be very close and it wont shock me at all if the Bills somehow end up pulling off the upset here.

K Train
12-10-2007, 04:20 PM
i wanna see the browns in the playoffs...with us winning the division of course...but the 3 game season sweep would be awesome

BlitzburghRockCity
12-10-2007, 04:29 PM
i wanna see the browns in the playoffs...with us winning the division of course...but the 3 game season sweep would be awesome

I'd love to see us knock their asses right out of the playoffs but damn it's hard to beat somebody 3 times in 1 season. That being said it's not like we don't know them as well as they know us and we have that psychological advantage over them knowing we've beat them so many times in recent history.

StlersGuy
12-10-2007, 04:32 PM
I look for us to win out... We will then be 12-4 overall and the AFC North Champions.

yinzer
12-11-2007, 12:04 AM
we "should" win out but considering how ugly we play on the road, i don't know what to expect. if we keep up our win two, lose one, we are gonna lose to baltimore the last game of the year. i wonder what anthony smith is gonna guarantee this week... i can guarantee bruce arians will make at least 5 stupid play calls. my bitterness will end by saturday.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-11-2007, 12:57 AM
You're assuming that we should actually beat the teams we're supposed to beat. If we did that all year long we'd be in command of the 2nd seed in the conference and not having to worry about fighting to keep the 3rd spot now.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-11-2007, 01:17 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07345/840721-66.stm

Steelers have to put Patriots loss behind them, shift focus toward Jacksonville
Tuesday, December 11, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- A win and they're in, although the Steelers still have bigger plans than just making the playoffs even after the overwhelming favorites rubbed them out Sunday.

The Steelers looked like a june bug bouncing off the windshield of the New England Patriots' perfect season express, when they lost, 34-13, at Gillette Stadium.

Yet at 9-4, a victory at home against Jacksonville would clinch a playoff berth, and with three games left anything but a total collapse will crown them AFC North Division champions.

The Patriots clinched a playoff bye and likely are headed for the AFC's top seed, which means anyone who wants to upset their Super Bowl plans will have to do it in Foxborough.

"We have a long way to go for that to happen," Steelers defensive end Brett Keisel said Sunday night after the game. "We have to think about the next game, which is Jacksonville. We need to win that game and whatever happens, happens. But if we do make it back here, it would be nice."

The Cleveland Browns (8-5) remain on their tails because they beat the New York Jets Sunday. Because the Steelers beat the Browns twice, Cleveland must finish ahead of them in order to win the division.

The Browns would do it if they sweep their remaining three at home vs. Buffalo, at Cincinnati, and back home vs. San Francisco, while the Steelers go 1-2 with games at St. Louis and Baltimore after their final home game Sunday. Or, if the Steelers lose all three, the Browns can go 2-1 and win it.

At least a wild-card playoff berth can be had for the Steelers by winning Sunday against a good Jacksonville team that is 9-4 and also fighting for one of the two AFC wild-card berths.
Sunday

"All we can worry about is Jacksonville," guard Alan Faneca said. "Go out and try to win a game. There's a lot of football left to play. Cleveland is still playing good ball. Nothing's a guarantee in this business."

Ouch, there's that word again. And again ...

"We're not guaranteed into the playoffs right now," linebacker Larry Foote said. "So we have to take care of home next week.

"We know Jacksonville's going to be tough. They won big [Sunday] and it's always a tough game when we play them. We have to get ready for Jacksonville -- we better, we don't have any choice."

The Steelers do have one thing in common with the Patriots -- they're unbeaten, at home, where they are 7-0. A win and a Cleveland loss would give them the division title Sunday, but it does not appear as if the revived Browns want to cooperate and their schedule looks a lot easier down the stretch.

"We have no margin for error," Keisel said. "We have to win the rest of our games. The ball is in our court, we just need to make the basket. I like our team, we just need to finish strong."

The Steelers say New England's dominance Sunday won't scar them as they put on their final push.

"We lost to a good team," linebacker James Farrior said. "They made more plays than us. We have to go back to the drawing board this week. We have a big game coming up, the biggest game of the year. We have to put this one behind us, make the corrections and move on."

The Steelers actually did not play poorly anywhere on the field except on pass defense and in special teams, again. Their lone turnover came on a poor New England punt that bounced off the Steelers' William Gay. The Patriots did not even try to run, with 22 yards on nine carries. Willie Parker got back on track with 124 yards rushing. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger threw one touchdown and no interceptions, although he was sacked another three times, putting the total at a record-threatening 38 with three to go. And the Steelers held the ball for nearly 35 of the game's 60 minutes.

"I don't think we had any turnovers," Roethlisberger said. "We took care of the ball, had time of possession. They were just the better team.

"Now we have to fight. We have a tough game this week. We still control our own destiny and that's what's most important. We have to make sure we continue to control that. A loss is a loss, it doesn't matter how bad you lose when you lose."

BlacknGold Bleeder
12-11-2007, 01:22 AM

I love these write ups Troy,always enjoy them, but this :ditto: is the bottom line.

Troyisabeast_43
12-11-2007, 01:25 AM
The Steelers I really feel need this win Sunday against the Jags just to get some confidence back and assure themselves that they can beat a good team that is going to be in the playoffs in the Jags. A loss here this week to the Jags combined with a possible Browns win over the Bills,a Chargers win over the Lions,and Titans win over the Chiefs then the Steelers are going to be in some deep **** the last 2 weeks. The Steelers WANT that number 3 seed so if they do end up winning that wildcard playoff game they do not have to see the Pats first game. If the Chargers end up jumping them and getting that 3 which they still can do then all bets are off. So with that being said if the Steelers win at home like their suppose too on Sunday against the Jags I fully expect them to take care of the Rams with Brock Berlin on the short week and wrap up the AFC North on that Thursday night and hopefully that number 3 seed. But make no mistake about it I dont care what anybody says this game against the Jags is very very close to being a MUST WIN game for the Steelers. A loss here could be devistating.

Iron City South
12-11-2007, 05:42 PM
But make no mistake about it I dont care what anybody says this game against the Jags is very very close to being a MUST WIN game for the Steelers. A loss here could be devistating.

Not "could" be devistating ...... absolutely will be devistating

ARKIESTEEL
12-11-2007, 06:09 PM
I hope the bills beat the browns and I hope the bengals beat them too. I hate the browns and dont want them any where near the playoffs. With that said I can see us going 3 and 0 in these last 3 games. One we are mad at getting beat and should use this to fire up the team to beat the Jags (plus I will be at this game) Two a indoor game with turf and a weak D should let Parker run wild in St Louis (plus I will be at this game too) Third we always play the ratbirds tuff and should beat them do to their poor play.

3 and 0 and going to the super bowl

DIESELMAN
12-11-2007, 06:22 PM
How we respond to gettin popped in the mouth, is how we'll finish the season. The Jax game is most definitely huge, not just for playoff implications but to test our character. Its gut check time boys and girls. :helmet:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-12-2007, 10:43 PM
A guy at my work is a clowns fan and all he is is yapping about is how great Cleveland is and how nobody wants to play them and how they have the playoffs locked up and blah blah blah, I told him assuming you do make it into the playoffs you won't make it past the first round because your defense can't stop anybody so don't get too comfortable. Im pulling for Buffalo big time this weekend.

DIESELMAN
12-12-2007, 11:03 PM
A guy at my work is a clowns fan and all he is is yapping about is how great Cleveland is and how nobody wants to play them and how they have the playoffs locked up and blah blah blah, I told him assuming you do make it into the playoffs you won't make it past the first round because your defense can't stop anybody so don't get too comfortable. Im pulling for Buffalo big time this weekend.

You shoulda told him it helps being there before to even make it. Its been a looooong time since they've had a reason to win a game, lets see if they can handle the pressure.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-12-2007, 11:12 PM
I'd bet money they'll choke under the pressure. They choke when they play us in a regular season game but get them in a playoff, do or die situation, and they'll be done. Playoffs is where you separate the men from the boys. The men play defense and the boys don't. The clowns are the boys and they'll find out soon enough that scoring a bunch of points without playing defense gets you nowhere fast in the postseason.

DIESELMAN
12-12-2007, 11:35 PM
I'd bet money they'll choke under the pressure.
Thats what I'm thinking. It helps to have some kind of playoff experience, not only to make it but to at least win a playoff game. Their players can't call any Bungholes cuz they haven't won a playoff game since 1990 :rofl: :banana:
They can't call any Ratbirds, they haven't won a playoff game since 2001 :rofl: :banana: