PDA

View Full Version : Here's what's really bothering me ...

Iron City South
12-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Sure I'm upset about the loss, we all are. But I think what's really bothering me right now is who we've become and how far removed we currently are from tough as nails, smashmouth, physical brawlers we've always been known to be ..... the staple of nearly every Pittsburgh team.

Yesterday was and eye opener for me. For the first time I came to the realization where I actually said out loud "Is this who were are now? ... This is who we've become?". :dunno:

I'm talkin' 3rd & Goal from the 1 mother ****ing foot line and throw a fade pass to our boheamoth 5'10" WR ... only to be followed up by an empty set WR sweep where our "brawler/tough guy" RT got blown up worse than a suicide bomber going through a check point. Back to back plays, we tried to get cute. Instead of taking out the sledge hammer, and smashing our way to 6, we got creatively "artsie". Maybe even metro-sexually "progressive". Hell, I'd even go as far as to say we were Bob mother-****ing Ross painting "Happy Little Trees". Then in the midst of getting our *** served to us like a leftover Thanksgiving dish, the camera pans over to a jovial Troy Polamalu laughing and yucking it up on the sidelines!!! WTF??? Troy's paycheck is obviously making him very happy these days. Hey, no worries Troy ... .we'll deal w/this ...k? !

We're no longer who or what we once were. It's saddening. Even worse, it's pathetic. Until we wake up, and our coaching staff realizes who we want to be when we grow the **** up, I see us continuing to make the same assanine mistakes and bad game planning week in and week out. We need to get back to basics. Back to what it is we do well.

Arians is stat driven. He wants Ben's TD passes numbers to go up so bad under him he's willing to do it at the expense of fundamental football. It's disgusting. I never thought I'd say this, but I miss Cowher & Bettis more and more with each passing week.

:cursin:

NOVA STEELERS
12-10-2007, 01:53 PM
I agree with your statement........... We smashed Najeh on 4th down, gets a couple of key 1st downs and then on the goal line where is Najeh :dunno: and then to go into a hurry up :scratch: There was some bright spots to the game, but they were out numbered by the penalties, dropped balls, missed tackles and blocking assignments....... Have to buckle down now, cuz this is the home stretch, its make it our break it time.......

Anyone else wonder why there was no flag when Ben was closlined and taken down and dumb *** simms says O that was something you would see on WWF.. :wtf:

Troyisabeast_43
12-10-2007, 02:16 PM
Bruce ariens is a child lost in a game for men. his playcalling is abysmal at best. great mixture of run/pass...until we hit the red zone and it's pass, pass, pass, field goal. seriously, last night 1st and goal from the 1 and you do a trick play and a pass play? whatever happened to steelers football? run up the middle 3 times with najeh and put the freaking ball in the end zone. if you can't get in with 3 tries from the one, you don't deserve to win, but i'd rather see that than a lob ball to holmes (all 5'9 of him) to the back of the end zone and then a reverse with ward in an empty back set. everyone knew he was getting that ball on the reverse...who else was there??? Ariens playcalling has just been flat out horrific at times and until it improves especially in the red zone the Steelers are going to continue to struggle to get TD'S and settle for FGS.

Ambridge
12-10-2007, 02:24 PM
I know it's Tomlin's first year and maybe it's unfair to be too critical of him but the phrase "A Team takes on the Personality of its Coach" keeps coming to mind.
So far IMO Tomlin is a Coaching Enigma.....and at best trying to be too much of a quiet leader and the anti-Cowher.

Too bad players don't like being yelled at (BEN).....too bad a coach gets in your face and sticks his foot up your *** when you **** up!!
This team needs to be shaken up with a harsh dose of reality and not with a pat on the butt and a "Don't do that again"

This team isn't playing well under this "Calm and Cool Resigme".....it's just not "Pittsburgh" and I don't believe it ever will be.

PS-Why was Ike so concerned running his yap with Pats fans behind the Steelers bench instead of getting ready for the next defensive series??

yinzer
12-10-2007, 03:07 PM
All of Willie's 100+ yard games don't matter unless we score TOUCHDOWNS!! I don't care who's doing the scoring, just put the ball in the friggin endzone!

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
i'm also still trying to figure out why the hell they run najeh on fourth and one in the MIDDLE OF THE FRIGGIN FIELD but won't give it to him on the goal line with first and goal... i'm waiting for the day when the camera pans over to tomlin absolutely laying into arians for being such a horrific O.C. maybe we can hire cowher for our O.C. next year...

[AutoMerged Post Below]

I agree with your statement........... We smashed Najeh on 4th down, gets a couple of key 1st downs and then on the goal line where is Najeh :dunno: and then to go into a hurry up :scratch: There was some bright spots to the game, but they were out numbered by the penalties, dropped balls, missed tackles and blocking assignments....... Have to buckle down now, cuz this is the home stretch, its make it our break it time.......

Anyone else wonder why there was no flag when Ben was closlined and taken down and dumb *** simms says O that was something you would see on WWF.. :wtf:

the fundamentals were completely absent. as for the clothesline... the pats were playing at home.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-10-2007, 03:19 PM
It's about time we all come to the realization that we are not the Steelers or old, nor will be be again in the immediate future. This team has been built for the passing over the last few years with influx of players like Heath, Willie, Santonio, Nate, Matt Spaeth, etc. We are not a smash mouth team anymore on offense. We are a quick strike team now with the ability to put up a lot of points on the board when the play calling goes the way it should and when Ben takes care of the football. You can't be a smash mouth team that throws the ball all day long too. Now yes you can be an effective running team and a physical team that throws the ball, aka the Patriots, Packers, Cowboys, & Colts but they are not smashmouth teams they are just physical teams that happen to throw the the ball a lot because they can.

We do need to get our toughness back, I fully agree with that. Our defense is tough, physical, and hard hitting, everything you want in a group of defenders but the offense has lost it's physical swagger.

Iron City South
12-10-2007, 03:29 PM
We do need to get our toughness back, I fully agree with that. Our defense is tough, physical, and hard hitting, everything you want in a group of defenders but the offense has lost it's physical swagger.

I don't agree w/this at all. Our defense doesn't have the mental toughness to be tough, physical, and dominating ... at least consistently. Sure we can be the school yard bully and beat-up crappy teams, but who gets satisfaction in beating up the small short-bus kids on the playground every day? What does that really prove?

The reality is that we don't have Greg Lloyd's, Kevin Greene's, or Rod Woodson's on defense; Players people feared :yesnod:

We either have a bunch of candy-assed metro-sexual "happy tree" painters on our D that would rather show off their cars, be seen in nightclubs, and brag about their bling .... or we have grizzled veterans who have played in this league for awhile and have gotten soft after making a few million. Their bigger worries are more along the lines of buying vacation homes, business ventures, and the booking their spring golf outings. :yesnod:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-10-2007, 03:34 PM
I think the defense is tough and physical, but I do think they lose focus at times..last night is a prime example, and that comes down to coaching as much as it does the players themselves taking care of business. I have all the faith in the world in our 11 guys to step up but they need to be more consistent and that's what is killing us on both sides of the ball but especially on defense. If we could play every week with the mentality of "kill or be killed" then we'd be in much better shape.

We've got some mean guys on our team and every one of them loves to dish out the hits and play physical but until they can do it every week we'll be inconsistent in that area.

TheButt
12-10-2007, 03:42 PM
I realized it long before we got that in that goal-line situation... opening drinve of the second half.. Parker broke one for a 20 yarder give or take.. then we tried some fake hand off.. play action something or other and Ben gets blowed up by that fatass nosetackle for the Pats.. then its second and a mile..plays right into their hands, they know exactly what we are goign to do from there.And we did nothing after that for the rest of the day. Why in the world wouldnt you pound the freaking ball.. Parker was finding holes and we could have worn them out in the second half..pound , pound, pound... but nooooooooo. We have to git cutesy.

Outcoached and outplayed.

Oh and on D we should have been dropping 8 the entire day I dont care what anyone says.

They ran the ball 9 times... 9 friggin times. Ugh

BlitzburghRockCity
12-10-2007, 08:42 PM
That's the problem with Bruce as the OC, he tries to be so diverse and use so many different formations that he out thinks himself and instead of just lining up and doing what we do he has to get cute and think like he's keeping the defense off balance but in reality it's keeping us off balance.

Iron City South
12-10-2007, 09:11 PM
That's the problem with Bruce as the OC, he tries to be so diverse and use so many different formations that he out thinks himself and instead of just lining up and doing what we do he has to get cute and think like he's keeping the defense off balance but in reality it's keeping us off balance.

I can go along with this. However, I'm not certain if Arians is too "cute" or just dumb as a box of rocks. Thinking he's too "cute" might be giving him too much credit.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-10-2007, 09:15 PM
Yikes...........I agree Bruce Arians needs to go..........Did maybe anybody stop to think why this team is so soft on offense this year is due to the Oline not being the dominate group we're accustomed to seeing each season?.....If the Tomlin can fix the Oline through the draft then I think you will see that physical style back but also now we have the passing game to make us a balanced offense...

As for the defense its a good but not great unit.....I agree with Iron City there isn't players right now that other teams fear really......Harrison is a nice player but he disappeared yesterday as for the rest of the defense...Hopefully Timmons and Woodley are guys that can bring fear into offensive players minds....I think Smith is still a solid young player and can hit...But he sure didn't show up either....Don't even get me started with Troy....He is this spiritual zen master anymore that refuses to lift weights and has turned into a wuss......

BlitzburghRockCity
12-10-2007, 09:16 PM
Well ok, perhaps you're right on the cute part...as Steeler fans we aren't used to cute nor do we want to be. We're a physical football team that is supposed to line up and punch you in the mouth but lately all we do punch between the 20's and then get punched in the red zone and well, that's about it...

DIESELMAN
12-10-2007, 09:22 PM
Where is our pride let alone our attitude of killin people. We used to be the type of D that for 60 minutes went at it hard no matter what the score was. WTF is up with Keisel laughin it up with Brady yesterday? While the game is goin on, I don't ****ing know you, I am tryin to blast through your OL and eat your ****ing heart out!!! Oh well he got his game check didn't he? And what was up woth Troy laughin it up on the sidelines instead of pulling the secondary off to the side and try and pump them up or something? Oh well he got his game check too.

DIESELMAN
12-10-2007, 09:25 PM
I can go along with this. However, I'm not certain if Arians is too "cute" or just dumb as a box of rocks. Thinking he's too "cute" might be giving him too much credit.
Your wrong...he's dumber then a box of rocks, give the rocks some credit. He seriously needs his *** whipped, bags packed and kicked back to Cleveland.

Iron City South
12-10-2007, 11:00 PM
He seriously needs his *** whipped, bags packed and kicked back to Cleveland.

That's the sad part, if mother ****ing Cleveland doesn't want you .... how much further down the food chain is there to fall? Him coming to us is like a turd thanking a septic tank for providing it a safe place to call home.

WTF? .....just what I want, Cleveland rejects!

black an gold 4 life
12-11-2007, 12:04 AM
iron city south i agree with ur statement about the running game, but i don't miss coward at all, mike tomlin will b an fine coach he didn't get 2 get his people that he wanted i believe we will have change after this year new o.c an new o-line coach an new special teams coach...........but i must agree i was saying the same thing yesterday n the bar we should've ran the ball 4x the cheaters couldn't stop the running game all night when ur at the 1 u have 2 run the ball plain an simple najeh could of got n, i tried 2 give bruce the benifit of the doubt but he has 2 go he sucks big time..................

BlitzburghRockCity
12-11-2007, 09:59 AM
That's the sad part, if mother ****ing Cleveland doesn't want you .... how much further down the food chain is there to fall? Him coming to us is like a turd thanking a septic tank for providing it a safe place to call home.

WTF? .....just what I want, Cleveland rejects!

We used to take all the Detroit castoffs but atleast some of them worked out for us.

The problem is that everybody on the offense likes the way Bruce is running things and all the stats are up for this team in every major category from years past. I don't think Bruce is going anywhere next year so we might as well get used to it. I do hope that Tomlin steps in and tweaks things atleast because our redzone efficiency overall is not anywhere near where it should be. Like I've said many times, the dude is trying to so hard to be creative that he's out thinking us right into FG's all the time.

DIESELMAN
12-11-2007, 10:21 AM
We used to take all the Detroit castoffs but atleast some of them worked out for us.

Especially one.....Hartings :bigthumb:

The problem is that everybody on the offense likes the way Bruce is running things and all the stats are up for this team in every major category from years past. I don't think Bruce is going anywhere next year so we might as well get used to it. I do hope that Tomlin steps in and tweaks things atleast because our redzone efficiency overall is not anywhere near where it should be. Like I've said many times, the dude is trying to so hard to be creative that he's out thinking us right into FG's all the time.

Thats the problem, he's worried about padding not only Ben's stats but his own in a trade out for losses over wins.

BringTheWoodley
12-11-2007, 12:14 PM
This guy is driving me crazy...everyone on the team talks about how he tears it up at practice all week and then come game day he can't catch a cold! Ben needs a big time reciever...Hines is the man for critical 1st downs and tough over the middle catches..but we need that dynamic reciever who gets separation and makes the big play. Holmes is getting better..but his size and durability are in question.
Could you imagine this offense if Ben had a T.O, Moss or even a Braylon edwards type reciever?..or how about teaching willie how to catch and using him as a westbrook type player.

~~Just a frustrated player watching Roethlisberger playing his best football and Hines and Heath seem like the only ones making plays for him.

TampaSteelGirl
12-11-2007, 01:43 PM
What I don't understand is why the heck they show Hines and Santonio getting their nails done on national TV and I love my Hines but instead of showing that stuff they should be showing them getting physical on the field!! I want to see our Steelers playing physical football like we did against the Ravens and the Bengals! NOW that is always physical where we jack their guys up! WHY can't we play like that every week!! those boys were hurting after their games with us! yes our playcalling has been horrible! We are a running team and i'm just need seeing any impressive running! We're a mess and we better clean it up or we aint going to the playoffs!!!! :dunno:

yinzer
12-11-2007, 09:15 PM
i don't care what anyone says. our guys were scared of the patsies! that's right, scared. and, if the players weren't scared, the coaches certainly were. i can imagine bruce "the idiot" arians standing on the sideline, scratching his head, wondering why the hines ward reverse didn't work on fourth and goal. hey bruce, i have an idea, why don't you shove the ball down their friggin throats on first and goal instead of playing hanky-panky with their 400 year old linebackers?!! the steelers aren't playing their game. i don't care who is making guarantees! since when do the steelers play 5 wide with no back on the goal line? tomlin is the head coach, right? doesn't he have a say when it comes to dumb *** plays? 200 million steelers fans see it the same way. why can't a handful of coaches get their shiat together? i'm just sayin...