PDA

View Full Version : 2nd half of the game...

BlacknGold Bleeder
12-09-2007, 11:44 PM
We played a decent game the first half today, two heavyweights trading punches. Other then the 2 long touchdown passes we would have been on top.what concerns me is the way the patsies played the 2nd half. That spread offense killed us !! They basically abandoned the running game and went to that short passing game. We had pretty good pressure but when he is only holding the ball for 3-4seconds then passing , it makes it kinda hard to stop. My question to yins is how do we stop that....

Iron City South
12-09-2007, 11:48 PM
As much as some of us don't want to believe it, we aren't in the heavyweight ranks. It was more of a middle-weight contender stepping into the octagon with a heavyweight brawler.

The Pats saw we weren't generating a pass rush in the 2nd half and went almost exclusively to the pass. As expected, Brady sat back there and cherry-picked us like nobody's business making our secondary look like organ grinders playing for whatever change somebody wanted to thow at 'em.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-09-2007, 11:50 PM
The Bengals tried the same thing, to spread us out and we shut them down. The Pats spread us out and we still had our chances in the 2nd half. Spreading us out didn't have anything to do with the big plays, our secondary just completely got owned today. They really began to spread us out late in the 4th quarter when Welker went on that terror and we had no answer by then. We can play spread defense with anybody but Brady just had our number much like he did with everyone else this year, when it came right down to it the big plays killed us and we couldn't score when we had the chances.

K Train
12-09-2007, 11:50 PM
prevent defense.....

DIESELMAN
12-09-2007, 11:54 PM
Well if we would've blown their receivers up in the first half then maybe that never would've happened. We didn't challenge any of their receivers coming off the line especially Moss.

BlacknGold Bleeder
12-09-2007, 11:55 PM
We had a pass rush the second half why do ya think he was getting rid of it so fast?? If he had more time to throw don't ya think he would have thrown the long ball? He had to get rid of it and they had so many guys in the short routes some one was open.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-10-2007, 12:43 AM
Well if we would've blown their receivers up in the first half then maybe that never would've happened. We didn't challenge any of their receivers coming off the line especially Moss.

That's because we were too busy being preoccupied with what was going on behind the line instead of sticking with our guys.

Troyisabeast_43
12-10-2007, 12:54 AM
Vince Woolfork a Nose Guard Sacked Ben by Rolling off of both Sean Mahan and Alan Faneca on that first drive of the second half. Replay shows that Hines Ward was wide opened down field for a big play if ben gets the time. If we score coming out of the half, it sets the tone for the rest of the game.

Inexcusable, O-lines fault again. Mahan is not the answer. We might as well have kept Okobi. Mahan has broken the run of all pro centers which have been a long standing tradition for the Steelers. This guy stinks. He has given up so many easy sacks this year. Ben has been sacked over 35 times this year. That is ashame. But yet again I have a lot to complain about with this current crop of players on this team, O-line, receivers, Offensive Coordinator, play calling, coaching, game planning, halftime adjustments, just to name a few.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-10-2007, 01:08 AM
The Key play was that our secondary decided to take the day off
The pressure didn't get to Brady at all in the 2nd half
The offense got stopped on 4th and goal
They sputtered in the red zone settling for FG's twice
The OL played well overall but gave up some key pressures
the list goes on...

No matter how you look at this game we weren't ready to take the next step because you have to be able to play the Pats on their level for 60 minutes and we only did it for 30 minutes.

Steelersfan
12-10-2007, 08:09 AM

:plus1::plus1::plus1::plus1::plus1:

Stairwayto7
12-10-2007, 08:35 AM
We played a decent game the first half today, two heavyweights trading punches. Other then the 2 long touchdown passes we would have been on top.what concerns me is the way the patsies played the 2nd half. That spread offense killed us !! They basically abandoned the running game and went to that short passing game. We had pretty good pressure but when he is only holding the ball for 3-4seconds then passing , it makes it kinda hard to stop. My question to yins is how do we stop that....

We need the right players on the field! Hagans needs replaced, there has to be somebody! We need Troy back, and we need a safety in the off season to take Ryan Clarks place. I like Kiesel and Aaron Smith, but I`m not sure they are getting the job done right now. If the Pats can go in at halftime, and make adjustments to a spread offense and short passes, how come we can`t. There LB`s are older and slower than ours, and Harrison is gettong old, we couldnt take advantage of them

Iron City South
12-10-2007, 09:19 AM
That spread offense killed us !! They basically abandoned the running game and went to that short passing game. We had pretty good pressure but when he is only holding the ball for 3-4seconds then passing , it makes it kinda hard to stop. My question to yins is how do we stop that....

We had decent pressure in the 1st half, I won't go as far as to say it was great. The Pats made the adjustments they needed to make and in the 2nd half, our pass rush was non-existant. How do you stop the dink-n-dunk you ask?

Simple ... first you come to the realization that you don't Stop it, your ultimate goal is to minimize it's effectiveness. You do that by ALWAYS rushing 1 or 2 more than they have bodies to block coupled to DB's playin mean, aggressive football and banging the WR's around right off the line throwing them off their routes. The Ravens secondary did a nice job of this last week.

Lebeau was playing "bend but don't break" with his soft 7 yd cushion which was the WRONG SCHEME to deploy.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-10-2007, 10:19 AM
I think Tomlin was pretty content with the gameplan going into halftime because you could see that we didn't come out doing anything different than we did in the first half.

For the life of me I cannot figure out why the offense never seems to gameplan for a team, we always say "we're going to play our game and if we do that :blah: " but you look at the top notch teams in the league and they tailor their offense to the team at hand.. why in God's name can we NEVER do that !!!

yinzer
12-10-2007, 10:28 AM
:scratch:
Vince Woolfork a Nose Guard Sacked Ben by Rolling off of both Sean Mahan and Alan Faneca on that first drive of the second half. Replay shows that Hines Ward was wide opened down field for a big play if ben gets the time. If we score coming out of the half, it sets the tone for the rest of the game.

Inexcusable, O-lines fault again. Mahan is not the answer. We might as well have kept Okobi. Mahan has broken the run of all pro centers which have been a long standing tradition for the Steelers. This guy stinks. He has given up so many easy sacks this year. Ben has been sacked over 35 times this year. That is ashame. But yet again I have a lot to complain about with this current crop of players on this team, O-line, receivers, Offensive Coordinator, play calling, coaching, game planning, halftime adjustments, just to name a few.

I remember that play. I know Mahan sucks but I couldn't believe how easilly that nose tackle abused Mahan. I also had a few questions abou play calling last night.

Iron City South
12-10-2007, 10:31 AM
:scratch:

I remember that play. I know Mahan sucks but I couldn't believe how easilly that nose tackle abused Mahan. I also had a few questions abou play calling last night.

That was Matador Faneca .... he was supposed to be assisting Mahan. Instead, he was takiing tickets at the turnstile and waiving to the passersby.

DIESELMAN
12-10-2007, 10:33 AM
That was Matador Faneca .... he was supposed to be assisting Mahan. Instead, he was takiing tickets at the turnstile and waiving to the passersby.
I could've swore I seen them 2 patting Wilfork on the back as he hit Ben. :lol: