PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin has some questions to address

BlitzburghRockCity
12-09-2007, 08:28 PM
Why did this team completely fall apart this week...

-What happened to the offense bogging down deep in the red zone 3 times
-What in God's name would possess Arians to call the 2nd half the way we did,
especially in the redzone.
-What happened to the pressure on Brady that we had in the first half
-What happened to cause the secondary to be so undisciplined by biting on every play action and every nod that Brady gave to make them look in the backfield

Those are the highlights off the top of my head that need answered and quickly I might add because the Jags are coming up and we better fix these issues.

There were some good things today:

-Offensive line was better for the 3rd week in a row
-Willie had a good day and got back on track
-Najeh was solid today
-Special teams coverage was good

All in all the problem with this team is that they are too inconsistent, point blank.

steelctybltzer
12-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Davenport had a TD catch :D Very inconsistent, I agree. O-line looked great but it seemed like Ben was rushing the ball even though the "rush" was getting picked up. We aren't in trouble though, just need to get some things straight before playoff time...

Koopa
12-09-2007, 08:35 PM
i can answer that........... we are just not on their level, plain and simple, the pats are the superior team, i know some don't want to admit it, but it's the truth, there is no shame in losing today cause they are the best team in the league

steelctybltzer
12-09-2007, 08:39 PM
^Fact.

Troyisabeast_43
12-09-2007, 08:56 PM
I do think the Steelers will learn from this game and become a better football team the rest of the season because of it. The Steelers just have to win these last 3 weeks games put themselves in position in the playoffs and hopefully they will get another shot at the Pats on Jan 20th in the AFC Title game. One thing the Steelers do not want to do is have the division title come down to the last week in Baltimore. They want to wrap up this division and the number 3 seed the next 2 weeks and guarantee themselves that that last game in Baltimore will hopefully become meaningless.

DIESELMAN
12-09-2007, 09:00 PM
Ben needs to go through his progressions a little quicker and quit having K. Stewart moments, that is he gets fixated on who he wants to throw to before he snaps the ball, you don't see him looking at all his receivers and thats even when he does have time.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-09-2007, 09:04 PM
I do think the Steelers will learn from this game and become a better football team the rest of the season because of it. The Steelers just have to win these last 3 weeks games put themselves in position in the playoffs and hopefully they will get another shot at the Pats on Jan 20th in the AFC Title game. One thing the Steelers do not want to do is have the division title come down to the last week in Baltimore. They want to wrap up this division and the number 3 seed the next 2 weeks and guarantee themselves that that last game in Baltimore will hopefully become meaningless.

that's exactly right because the Ratbirds will want nothing more than to end our season on a sour note. We absolutely must wrap up this division before that last game. The browns last 3 games are against the Bills, Bengals, and 49ers. Buffalo and Cincy can beat them so let's hope they do and we can win.

Koopa
12-09-2007, 09:06 PM
Ben needs to go through his progressions a little quicker and quit having K. Stewart moments, that is he gets fixated on who he wants to throw to before he snaps the ball, you don't see him looking at all his receivers and thats even when he does have time.

i kind of think that will never happen, he's already in his 4th year, he is who he is by now, and that's a player that would rather pick up a 40 yard pass or get sacked, then throw a quick 10 yard for the first down.......sure he's a good qb, and hopefully will be our qb for the rest of his career, but he will probably never be a smart qb

DIESELMAN
12-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Our OL did good at times, but also gave up 3 sacks, not to mention, letting pressure be applied on a 3 man rush. Willie was runnin a little better, I wouldn't call him totally uintracked just yet. He had some good long runs finally but he was still falling down a lot :lol: I don't know what Arians was thinking on some of those drives, there was one, where we were runnin the ball good, it came down to 3rd and 2, we come out in a empty backfield..incomplete..punt...WTF!!! I swear there have been games where I am reminded of the Mularkey play calling days.

Troyisabeast_43
12-09-2007, 09:13 PM
All we gotta do TG to wrap up the division is beat the Jags and Rams and the Steelers clinch. Because that would get the Steelers to 11 wins and since the Browns already have 5 losses it wont matter what they do because if we both finish at 11-5 the Steelers win the head to head tiebraker. So it doesnt matter what the Browns do the next 2 weeks as long as the Steelers win the next 2 weeks against the Jags and Rams the North is their's and so is most likely the number 3 seed which is a big big difference from the 4 seed because it means you get to avoid the Pats one more week assuming you win your wildcard game.

DIESELMAN
12-09-2007, 09:16 PM
i kind of think that will never happen, he's already in his 4th year, he is who he is by now, and that's a player that would rather pick up a 40 yard pass or get sacked, then throw a quick 10 yard for the first down.......sure he's a good qb, and hopefully will be our qb for the rest of his career, but he will probably never be a smart qb

I would like to think Ben is a whole lot smarter then Kordell (in no way am I comparing the 2 :lol:) It does take a lot of football smarts to be a QB in the league, you gotta know your WR's routes, know when a blitz is coming, know who is goin hot on a blitz and adjust. The big thing is pocket awareness, knowing and feeling the rush and where its coming from, sometimes he gets that fuzzy feeling prematurely. Don't know how to fix that.

black an gold 4 life
12-09-2007, 10:57 PM
i'll say it again u have 2 blame ben 4 this lost seriously,he does make bad decisions,if he played like he played in the 05 playoffs we have an chance if he continues 2 play like he is now were doomed....................

BlacknGold Bleeder
12-09-2007, 11:09 PM
i'll say it again u have 2 blame ben 4 this lost seriously,he does make bad decisions,if he played like he played in the 05 playoffs we have an chance if he continues 2 play like he is now were doomed....................

step away from the pipe... Ben did not cost us this game. Seriously if ya want to blame somebody you'd better take a good look at the D.

Troyisabeast_43
12-10-2007, 01:03 AM
First, the Patriots are not unbeatable. It seems half the board did not watch the Baltimore game in which multiple breaks down the stretch cost Baltimore that game (foremost, a timeout which nullified the game winning fourth down tackle). Think long and hard on this one. Baltimore is a team with zero offense - a team we absolutely destroyed. So anyone (specifically those who are already chalking up a Patriot or Colt Super Bowl) who thinks the Patriots are that great, start by addressing this point.

Second, the Steelers did not play that bad. They gave up 2 long bombs, had one more turnover than the Pats, and did not convert TDs in the red zone. This is the difference in the game. Without these mistakes, the game is tight and goes down to the wire (net yards, 349 PITT to 421 NE)

The Patriots are soft and have many weaknesses which Baltimore exposed big time. First, if you get decent line play, you can run the ball on them. Second, a little pressure on Brady and their offense can be stopped (Baltimore proved this and we did too - these were the times we stopped them). Third, the Patriots secondary is venerable and can be attacked. Fourth, you need to pop their receivers - make them pay - a la Blount. You need to bring a Lambert type attitude and intensity next time. If they dink on you, PUNISH them physically. Go for the knock out blow sometimes.

Here are some facts:

Our offensive line was good enough to move the ball.

Our special teams outplayed New England's

Our defense was on the field all day.

Parker had 124 yards and moved the ball well on the ground and the Steelers had a total of 181 yards rushing

Total Net Yards: Steelers 349 and Patriots 421 (119 of these on 2 plays)

If we convert some key first downs (bounced ball to Holmes was one of those key ones), game comes right down to the end.

We played a solid first half and could have been ahead if we converted in the red zone.

I will sign off and say the attitudes on the board are the typically scewed ones we come to expect after a loss. What game did you guys watch?

I'm glad the Patriots did some trash talking too; these are the things that motivate you next time around.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------
The truth is that we got outplayed today. I accept that fact. However, this was a game in which the Steelers caught absolutely no breaks and the Patriots got countless breaks. Just to name a few...
-Short punt that hit's Gay's leg and is recovered by them
-A fumble by Watson that will never be mentioned because the ball immediately went out of bounds
-A lucky, gimmick play on the long Gafney TD that could have gone wrong about 3 times for NE but did not

I think if we can get to a rematch, which will be quite the task in itself, we have a very good chance for a win. A healthy Troy helps shore up the secondary coverage and adds another element to our defense. Eliminating stupid penalties like the block in the back that brought us from 40 to the 8 will help. Better general execution and I think we can beat the Pats on Jan. 20 if we get there.

Iron City South
12-10-2007, 07:11 AM
Dude, I hate to rain on your Stewart Smalley "we're an ok team and by gosh, people like us" parade .... but we just got our doors blown off by a team that made us look silly in the 2nd half.

We lack identity and we lack attitude .... we are not as physical as other teams.......and that should be a concern to everyone.

Steelersfan
12-10-2007, 08:17 AM
Just my opinions.......

-What happened to the offense bogging down deep in the red zone 3 times
Play calling would be my first guess and lacking toughness would be my second.
-What in God's name would possess Arians to call the 2nd half the way we did,
especially in the redzone.
Question that could be asked all year
-What happened to the pressure on Brady that we had in the first half
We still had some but Brady started throwing quick and we didn't jam the WR's at the line or tighten up the coverage. Played off the ball too much once again!
-What happened to cause the secondary to be so undisciplined by biting on every play action and every nod that Brady gave to make them look in the backfield
To be honest I think they were so jacked up to hit someone that they took themselves right out of the game.

Stairwayto7
12-10-2007, 08:29 AM
Dude, I hate to rain on your Stewart Smalley "we're an ok team and by gosh, people like us" parade .... but we just got our doors blown off by a team that made us look silly in the 2nd half.

We lack identity and we lack attitude .... we are not as physical as other teams.......and that should be a concern to everyone.

Amen! This team is just going through the motions most of the time! Where are these young rookie LB`s we drafted?? Hagans has hardly done squat all season!

Prosdo
12-10-2007, 11:15 AM

Are you serious? If you want to blame the loss on anyone blame it on the Steelers secondary and Bruce Arians.

AZ_Steeler
12-10-2007, 11:42 AM
If anything the Steelers have a tape of the game that can they can watch several times over should they meat up in the playoffs! Hopefully Smith will keep his mouth shut next time or if he does run it again he at least back it up with a solid performance...