PDA

View Full Version : Time for Willie to show?

Whodat
12-08-2007, 07:39 PM
A lot has been said about Willie Parker and what appears to be a down hill slide since the begining of the season. I feel this Sunday's game provides the oppurtunity to shut those of us up who feel Willie Parker is a flash in the pan. I read a lot of posts that people place our Super bowl win on willies shoulders (you obviously didn't see the Chicago game that turned our season).

One fumble in the Colts playoff game by Jerome will not keep him out of the Hall of Fame. A touchdown in the Super Bowl will not make Willie Parker even one of the best Steeler running backs.

I sure hope Willie proves me wrong this weekend. He reminds me a lot of the "Amos experiment" (other than Willie is our only back). We need to "POUND" the ball. It's that time of year! December is the running game and I love the 4 yard run.

yinzer
12-08-2007, 08:25 PM
A lot has been said about Willie Parker and what appears to be a down hill slide since the begining of the season. I feel this Sunday's game provides the oppurtunity to shut those of us up who feel Willie Parker is a flash in the pan. I read a lot of posts that people place our Super bowl win on willies shoulders (you obviously didn't see the Chicago game that turned our season).

One fumble in the Colts playoff game by Jerome will not keep him out of the Hall of Fame. A touchdown in the Super Bowl will not make Willie Parker even one of the best Steeler running backs.

I sure hope Willie proves me wrong this weekend. He reminds me a lot of the "Amos experiment" (other than Willie is our only back). We need to "POUND" the ball. It's that time of year! December is the running game and I love the 4 yard run.

He IS the leading rusher in the AFC and 2nd in the league. Willie will be fine.

DIESELMAN
12-08-2007, 08:31 PM
I don't think anyone is calling him a flash in the pan but he does need to do something this week. I doubt he does anything spectacular that we're hoping for, for whatever reason, IMO, he's running very apprehensive and somewhat "scared". That could be because he's lost faith in the OL, or he could be getting tired from all the carries or he could be hurt. If he does anything at all, it needs to be to the outside, running up the gut will be pointless and the Patsies LB's are old as dirt, they won't be able to pursue, they will need a lot of secondary support, another reason we need somewhat of a consistent running game, if we get that, Ben will light up Foxboro with play action.:helmet:

Hawk Believer
12-08-2007, 09:45 PM
Am I the only one who thinks a thread title of "Time for Willie to Show" is pretty darn funny?

BlitzburghNation
12-08-2007, 11:40 PM
Am I the only one who thinks a thread title of "Time for Willie to Show" is pretty darn funny?

Not The Only One ,,,,,,,,, :haha:

Willie will be alright,,,,,,,,"SIMMA"

Stlrs4Life
12-08-2007, 11:44 PM

WTH?! R you serious? There is a huge difference between Willie and Amos. First of all, Amos couldn't do it any better than Willie, and Amos had a better OL to run behind. And Amos didn't get half the carries that Willie gets or will get.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-09-2007, 12:54 AM
Famous Amos should have been "infamous amos" because he was just awful. That guy couldn't find the hole in the blocking to save his life. He was decent as a 3rd down back but when he was put into a more prominent role he just did a whole lotta nothing.

GoBenGo
12-09-2007, 01:13 AM
Artist: Sweet
Song: Little Willy

North side, east side
Little Willy, Willy wears the crown, he's the king around town
Dancing, glancing
Willy drives them silly with his star shoe shimmy shuffle down
Way past one, and feeling alright
'Cause with little Willy round they can last all night
Hey down, stay down, stay down down

'Cause little Willy, Willy won't go home
But you can't push Willy round
Willy won't go, try tellin' everybody but, oh no
Little Willy, Willy won't go home

Up town, down town
Little Willy, Willy drives them wild with his run-around style
Inside, outside
Willy sends them silly with his star-shine shimmy shuffle smile
Mama done chase Willy down through the hall
But laugh, Willy laugh, he don't care at all
Hey down, stay down, stay down, down

'Cause little Willy, Willy won't go home

Little Willy, Willy won't
Willy won't, Willy won't
Willy won't, Willy won't
Willy won't, Willy won't
Willy won't, Willy won't

.....I fondly remember terrorizing my brother Will with this toe-tapper:greengrin:
good times , good times:yesnod:

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]

Famous Amos should have been "infamous amos" because he was just awful. That guy couldn't find the hole in the blocking to save his life. He was decent as a 3rd down back but when he was put into a more prominent role he just did a whole lotta nothing.
Amos Zero! played like he weighed a buck twenty-five:banging:

Steelersfan
12-09-2007, 01:55 AM

Seriously, Barry Sanders was a pretty good RB but his team never won anything. WP is the same type of back and we aren't the same team we have been for 10+ years because of it. We can no longer just pound the ball at will. Say all you want about WP, he just isn't that type of back. He can break them now and then which inflates his ypc and all that. But those of us who watch every game know he isn't the type of back to carry a team (for example like Bettis did with the Bears that one game). That's just not WP nor do I expect it to be.
I do expect our coaches to be smart enough to see that though and plan accordingly!
WP has not and will not be able to run the clock out at the end of games. Some blame him, some blame the O-line. If the O-line was that damn good we could slide any RB in there. Bettis spoiled us.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-09-2007, 02:01 AM
Tomlin said he is going to ride FWP till the wheels fall so at this point I don't know that we would go in another direction for a RB. With Willies contract and the numbers he puts up I think he'll be around for quite awhile. I do hope we get Russel some more carries and see if he can add something to our arsenal for these grind it out performances we need at the end of games.

Steelersfan
12-09-2007, 02:10 AM
I'm not saying get rid of WP. I'm just saying we need to stop thinking he can just run the clock out in a close game. Maybe use a few more short passes and stuff. We seem to do much better on O now by spreading the field and going no huddle. If it weren't for our D in the Bengals game we may just have lost that one. Our running game did nothing to run the clock out.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-09-2007, 02:19 AM
oh I know, but yeah I do agree that we'll need to find alternatives to just handing the ball off to run out the clock because that hasn't worked for us since the first 3 weeks of the season and until our OL comes together and blocks consistently and until FWP stops this "run into the pile and fall down" stuff, nothing will change.

Stairwayto7
12-09-2007, 09:41 AM
Run Willie, but not right away. We need Davenport back, Willie runs well on 1st, okay on 2nd, and like hell on 3rd lately

$teeler$guy
12-09-2007, 10:02 AM
willie is a great running back im sure he will ave a good game

Iron City South
12-09-2007, 10:44 AM
Willie will perform at the level of our off. line. If our OL gets swallowed up and pushed around, I fully expect FWP to have less than 60 yds. which will put the offensive burden on Ben Roeth

jtsteeler
12-09-2007, 12:36 PM
You forgot he also has the most carries in the NFL

Whodat
12-09-2007, 03:45 PM
You forgot he also has the most carries in the NFL

So many people seem to forget that. I'd be curious to see his yards after contact?

[AutoMerged Post Below]

And this has done what for our running game?