PDA

View Full Version : Why the Patriots won't score more than 21 points

SteelersWoman
12-07-2007, 08:54 AM
December 06, 07
By: Statistics Man

It’s no secret that the New England offensive attack is the most feared in football. Tom Brady is having an MVP year and the Pats are breaking records left and right. Throw in the fact that they’re 12-0 and you’ve got a whole lot of talk about that elusive “perfect season”.

But something happened Monday night against the Ravens that got me to thinking. Did you notice that the Pats we’re having an “off” game, too? At least that’s what people like Steve Young has said.

While it’s true that every team goes through a collective lull during the season at one point or another, I’m noticing a trend that I’d like to share with you. The Patriots offense is not nearly as potent against a more physical defense. Now, this may not be the most exclusive thought in the football universe, but I want to put my two cents in on this.

The table below supports my theory. I seperated the games that New England has played against more physical defenses (IND, PHI & BAL) from the rest of their schedule. What I found was very intriguing and i think you will, too. NOTE: I did not include their game against Dallas as a more physical matchup because the Dallas defense is actually not a very physical unit.

New England Offensive Production Comparison

NE OFFENSE|vs. 9 Other Opp |vs. Physical Def|Difference
Pts/gm |43.0|25.0|-18.0
Pass TD/gm |3.8|2.0|-1.8
Rush TD/gm |1.1|1.0|-0.1
Ttl yds/gm |443.3|378.3|-65.0
Pass yds/gm |308.5|297.3|-11.2
Comp/gm |26.0/34.8 (75%)|24.3/41.3 (59%)|-16%
Rush yds/gm |134.8|81.0|-53.8
Rush att/gm |31.6|23.6|-8.0
# sack/gm |0.88|2.6|-1.72
# int/gm |0.33|1.0|-0.67
# fum/gm |0.2|0.6|-0.4

As you can see, the Patriots offense, across the board, does not perform as well against a more physical defense. The only statistic that was higher was pass attempts. And notice that when Brady threw more he actually completed less passes (75% to 59%).

P4E*
12-07-2007, 09:26 AM
the pats will score more than 21,they where saying that we would get owned by the steelers D in the 2005 AFCG..and we ended up with 41,the pats wont score 40 this time,I THINK,but we will score over 30

Patriots 37 Steelers 20

Maybe the thread should read"Why the steelers wont score 21"

BlitzburghRockCity
12-07-2007, 09:41 AM
Enough of this talk, let's play the game already !! All this hype is getting old.

steelersgal86
12-07-2007, 09:43 AM
Enough of this talk, let's play the game already !! All this hype is getting old.

:ditto: :iagree: :ditto: :iagree:

LatrobePA
12-07-2007, 10:13 AM
I hope I don't eat my words, but.

I feel our guys O&D will be fired up like when we went into Denver during our SB run. *** kicking for 60 minutes all 3 sides of the ball.

Prosdo
12-07-2007, 11:28 AM

For real! I am so anxious for Sunday.

black an gold 4 life
12-07-2007, 11:54 AM
p4e get an life ur teams sucks they cheat cheat cheat cheat that's the only way they win, now that they can't steal the defensive calls tom brady looks human back there, we will beat them just like anthony smith said f*** the patriots k.k.a THE CHEATERS

AZ_Steeler
12-07-2007, 12:33 PM
Knowing how pumped I am for this game I can't even begin to image how amped the Steelers D is right now!!! :helmet:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Let's hope we don't pump ourselves right out of the game by being too worked up that we don't stick with the game plan and press the issue too much.

LatrobePA
12-07-2007, 02:35 PM
the pats will score more than 21,they where saying that we would get owned by the steelers D in the 2005 AFCG..and we ended up with 41,the pats wont score 40 this time,I THINK,but we will score over 30

Patriots 37 Steelers 20

Hey fag, last time I logged on, this is a Steelers site, take your fruity little *** back to the hole in the wall at your local rest stop. :cursin:

SteelerFan87
12-07-2007, 04:04 PM
Yes this is a Steelers site, but there are fans of other teams here, and they are welcome. I invited P4E to come here, because it's fun having different opinions, and different teams' perspectives. If this site was nothing but Steelers fans, we'd all just be sitting around saying "I think the Steelers are going to win", "me too", "I do too", "so do I", "I think we're going to win this week", "me too", "I do too", "so do I". :lol:

So be nice to P4E, even if he is a Patsie fan. He's entitled to his misguided opinion. :lol:

P4E*
12-08-2007, 08:40 AM
Yes this is a Steelers site, but there are fans of other teams here, and they are welcome. I invited P4E to come here, because it's fun having different opinions, and different teams' perspectives. If this site was nothing but Steelers fans, we'd all just be sitting around saying "I think the Steelers are going to win", "me too", "I do too", "so do I", "I think we're going to win this week", "me too", "I do too", "so do I". :lol:

So be nice to P4E, even if he is a Patsie fan. He's entitled to his misguided opinion. :lol:

Exactley my greek brother,all you guys have being predicting steeler wins,so i thought i would predict an outcome myself..thanks for the support bro:bigthumb:

Pats are gonna kill ya'll on sunday:greengrin:

Lets Go Pats!!:cope::cope::cope::cope:

DIESELMAN
12-08-2007, 09:12 AM
Exactley my greek brother,all you guys have being predicting steeler wins,so i thought i would predict an outcome myself..thanks for the support bro:bigthumb:

There won't be any killin goin on come sunday. As well balanced as both of these teams are, its going to be a seesaw, action packed game for 60 minutes. There will be times when it will look really good for both teams during the course of the game, but because of the talent on both sides it will be close all the way to the end.

HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!!!
:cope::cope::cope::cope::cope:

steelernewb50
12-08-2007, 09:32 AM
i agree with statisticsman, but what happened in the redskins game? the skins's defense is pretty physical, and the score was 52-7?! i just think that our defense is gonna step up and play a lot of coverage, because tom brady loves those bullets and those long bombs. i'm putting a lot of faith into our linebackers, and hope they show up ready to swat some balls. :)

yinzer
12-08-2007, 12:55 PM

Patriots 37 Steelers 20

Shouldn't you be in your bedroom waiting for baseball season to start again?

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]

So, when exactly did you become a Gaytriot fan? 2001?

P4E*
12-08-2007, 02:56 PM
Shouldn't you be in your bedroom waiting for baseball season to start again?

[AutoMerged Post Below]

So, when exactly did you become a Gaytriot fan? 2001?

So when did you exactley become a steelerfan, 2005??

HERE WE GO PATRIOTS HERE WE GO

2001 rings a bell,was that we came into your house and beat you in the AFCG??..I think it was,wasn't it

SteelersWoman
12-08-2007, 03:16 PM
i agree with statisticsman, but what happened in the redskins game? the skins's defense is pretty physical, and the score was 52-7?!.... :)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byteam?group=Defense&cat=Rankings&conference=NFL&year=season_2007&sort=114&old_category=Total&old_group=Defense

The 'Skins defense is ranked 12th overall--a little better than middle of the road.

Besides--they're ranked 22 against the pass, so that also might explain why the score could get so high..., and maybe they had a bad day? Not saying that's what happened, since I didn't get to see that game--just surmising a bit.

P4E*
12-08-2007, 03:20 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byteam?group=Defense&cat=Rankings&conference=NFL&year=season_2007&sort=114&old_category=Total&old_group=Defense

The 'Skins defense is ranked 12th overall--a little better than middle of the road, and maybe they had a bad day, which would've put them right about average? Not saying that's what happened, since I didn't get to see that game--just surmising a bit.

The skins D got torn apart that Day,the patriots have the weapons to make any Top D look average

yinzer
12-08-2007, 03:22 PM
So when did you exactley become a steelerfan, 2005??

HERE WE GO PATRIOTS HERE WE GO

2001 rings a bell,was that we came into your house and beat you in the AFCG??..I think it was,wasn't it

from the steel city, you moron, born and raised. and, the last time i checked the steelers have been good since the 1970's.

SteelersWoman
12-08-2007, 03:23 PM
The skins D got torn apart that Day,the patriots have the weapons to make any Top D look average

But as I just said (after editing lol) they're only 22nd against the pass--that's not too good a chance going against a top offense--and 22nd is far from a "top" D.

P4E*
12-08-2007, 03:27 PM
But as I just said (after editing lol) they're only 22nd against the pass--that's not too good a chance going against a top offense--and 22nd is far from a "top" D.

I guess there D is still trying to recover from the beating they took at the hand of the pats:greengrin:

steelcitysfinestXL
12-08-2007, 03:58 PM
I guess there D is still trying to recover from the beating they took at the hand of the pats:greengrin:

Um, im willing to bet the the entire Redskins organization has pretty much forgotten about that game due to what has happened in their franchise in the last week!!! And its also quite clear by the comments pats fans make that you only tune in to football when your team is on!!!

yinzer
12-08-2007, 04:11 PM

misguided is an understatement:lol:

[AutoMerged Post Below]

Um, im willing to bet the the entire Redskins organization has pretty much forgotten about that game due to what has happened in their franchise in the last week!!! And its also quite clear by the comments pats fans make that you only tune in to football when your team is on!!!

:bluelol::lol:
there really aren't football fans in new england. those people put on their brand spankin new brady and vrabel jerseys that they only wear 16 days a year. i guarantee those "fans" all have Giants jerseys in the back of their closets. i bet they don't even realize that their back-up QB didn't even play in college. what a joke that city is!