PDA

View Full Version : Injury update this week

BlitzburghRockCity
12-05-2007, 06:57 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07339/839173-66.stm?cmpid=HBEHTML

Steelers Notebook: Holmes, Polamalu, Smith hope to play

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Receiver Santonio Holmes could return from injury Sunday against the Patriots in Foxborough, Mass. (vs. Ravens 11/5/2007)The Steelers could welcome the return of three injured starters this week as they prepare to play the unbeaten New England Patriots Sunday.

Wide receiver Santonio Holmes, strong safety Troy Polamalu and left offensive tackle Marvel Smith all could start against the Patriots, coach Mike Tomlin said.

Each has missed the past two games -- Holmes with a high ankle sprain, Polamalu with a sprained knee and Smith with a disc problem in his back.

Tomlin said each will try to practice today, when the players return from having two days off since they defeated Cincinnati Sunday to run their record to 9-3.

"It depends on how they perform in practice," he said.

We really need Santonio back in the worst way, if I had to choose one of the 3 to be back it would be him. Starks has been playing pretty well at LT in place of Smith but we are thin there without Marvel so we need him back too.

As far as Troy goes, well we've already covered that 9 ways to sunday :bluelol:

JensK
12-05-2007, 08:36 AM
Santonio returning is awesome! And with Hines Ward really stepping it up the last few games, it really gives Ben some great targets.

As far as troy goes, yes that's been discussed already, however i think using him will be wise never the less. Im not saying that we should use him all the time, but i believe that sending him in now and then will confuse the O-Line, since we can't deny, he brings some unexpected to the game (at least if hes playing like he used to do)

steelersgal86
12-05-2007, 08:44 AM
Good news to hear Santonio is returning :tt02:

AZ_Steeler
12-05-2007, 11:47 AM
I'm glad to see them coming back but at the same time it kind of sucks because they have missed the last 2 games and they are playing the Pats :dunno:

PsychoWard
12-05-2007, 12:31 PM
santonio being back is big but any word on dookie we could have used him last week!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-05-2007, 12:54 PM
I still haven't heard anything on that mystery dookie injury or how long he'll be out but if they are considering Haynes then it must be atleast somewhat extensive.

GoBenGo
12-05-2007, 01:14 PM
If Santonio is back , great, but will he be 100%? Why not put Reid or Rossum in a four or five reciever set. Great wheels, both could be a playmaker, Patbreaker?

JensK
12-05-2007, 02:25 PM
I say at least give Holmes a chance. it guess it really comes down to how he looks around saturday and the game. Rossum... I don't know, if its only me who don't think hes done the job SO great this year. I know he had some nice returns and all, but swapping him with Holmes would be a mistake.

GoBenGo
12-05-2007, 03:09 PM
I say at least give Holmes a chance. it guess it really comes down to how he looks around saturday and the game. Rossum... I don't know, if its only me who don't think hes done the job SO great this year. I know he had some nice returns and all, but swapping him with Holmes would be a mistake.

Actually I didn't mean replace Holmes with Rossum, just add to the arsenal. I meant just try a couple of other options to get a playmaker the ball in space. I can see a couple of screens to him or Reid.
I have a lot of respect for Santonio, he had really stepped up his game before the injury.

black an gold 4 life
12-05-2007, 03:10 PM
THERE GONNA DOUBLE SANTONIO ALL GAME SO HINES, MILLER,SAPETH,WASHINGTON AN WILSON WILL HAVE 2 STEP UP, WE NEED 2 SPREAD THE CHEATERS OUT ON OFFENSE, SINCE BEN IS OUR FRANCHISE IT'S TIME HE STEP UP AN GET THIS TEAM MOVING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION TOWARDS THE PLAYOFFS,I'M CONFIDENT THAT OUR DEFENSE WILL KEEP US N THE GAME,SO LONG AS THEY R NOT ON THE FIELD THE WHOLE GAME,RANDY MOSS SHOWED THAT IF U HIT HIM HE WILL SEPERATE FROM THE BALL , AN WESLEY IF U JAM HIM AT THE LINE HE BECOMES INEFFECTIVE............................

JensK
12-05-2007, 05:23 PM
Actually I didn't mean replace Holmes with Rossum, just add to the arsenal. I meant just try a couple of other options to get a playmaker the ball in space. I can see a couple of screens to him or Reid.
I have a lot of respect for Santonio, he had really stepped up his game before the injury.

Ah :banging: sorry!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-06-2007, 07:32 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07340/839592-66.stm?cmpid=HBEHTML

Starters return

All three starters who missed the past two games with injuries returned to practice yesterday.

Offensive tackle Marvel Smith (back), strong safety Troy Polamalu (knee) and wide receiver Santonio Holmes (ankle) put in a full practice and should start Sunday.

Looks like we'll get everybody back for this weekends game !! :woot:

BBG7
12-06-2007, 04:07 PM
Great News!!!

BB2W
12-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Troy Polamalu did not practice today and might not play in Sunday's Steelers game against the New England Patriots.

link: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07340/839757-66.stm

DIESELMAN
12-06-2007, 11:15 PM
Well Hell...Carter has been filling in pretty good, I won't lose any sleep if Troy doesn't play as long as Holmes is in there, I'm cool. :bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-07-2007, 07:03 AM
At this point we just need to have Carter continue to step up and have a great game. He's delivered the last 2 weeks with some good performances. I have all the confidence in the world in him but we do need to get Troy back because we are thin at that position when he's out.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-09-2007, 01:13 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07341/839989-66.stm

Friday, December 07, 2007
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Safety Troy Polamalu, who developed swelling in his injured knee when a teammate rolled into him during Wednesday's practice, did not practice today and likely will not play in Sunday's game against the New England Patriots.

Polamalu was given a run test this morning to determine if he would be able to practice, but there was no change in his condition and it appears he will be unable to play against the Patriots.

Polamalu, a three-time Pro Bowl safety, has a sprain of the medial collateral ligament and posterior cruciate ligament in his right knee --- the same type of injury that sidelined receiver Hines Ward for three games earlier this season.

Polamalu has not played in the past two games. He was doing fine and was scheduled to return against the Patriots until his injury was aggravated two days ago, causing swelling.

Meantime, outside linebacker James Harrison missed practice for personal reasons, but he is expected to rejoin the team tomorrow and play against the Patriots.

matt89
12-09-2007, 12:32 PM
santonio is a major offensive weapon,so he'll give us some chances to have some explosive plays

BlitzburghRockCity
12-09-2007, 01:08 PM
Confirmed for sure that Najeh, Santonio, and Marvel will play today.

Mike Tomlin
12-09-2007, 02:25 PM
I think it's better to have Carter and Smith play together this game. 1. they have developed a rhythm together. 2. Carter knows Moss better than anybody which gives us an advantage.