PDA

View Full Version : Things on players elbows

Blitzburghpete
12-03-2007, 01:39 PM
Hey chaps,

Can someone tell me what those things are on the players arms around their elbows that show the NFL logo. It just looks like a black band with the NFL logo patch and i wondered why players wera them?

Support?
just because?
protection?

any answers???

AZ_Steeler
12-03-2007, 02:04 PM
I have no idea why they wear them... maybe for protection :dunno: I do recall a game back during the Bus days though when he ripped them off because they were making it harder to carry the ball in bad weather.

steelcitysfinestXL
12-03-2007, 02:11 PM
I wore them all through out my playing years but i played LB/DE and RT!!! they are extremely slippery when wet. Why they are worn... i wore them cause i thought they looked cool plus they keep you rather warm with out having to wear long sleeves!!! i dont think that was the reason he had four fumbles... im chalking it up to a bad night and mental mistakes!!!

GoBenGo
12-03-2007, 02:29 PM
:tt02:
I have no idea why they wear them... maybe for protection :dunno: I do recall a game back during the Bus days though when he ripped them off because they were making it harder to carry the ball in bad weather.
Yep, I remember him doing that.

I wore them all through out my playing years but i played LB/DE and RT!!! they are extremely slippery when wet. Why they are worn... i wore them cause i thought they looked cool plus they keep you rather warm with out having to wear long sleeves!!! i dont think that was the reason he had four fumbles... im chalking it up to a bad night and mental mistakes!!!
Too much evidence towards the sleeves being the problem, based on the Bus, Madden's comments, and Steelcity's own experience. I cannot believe he did not remove them. Maybe not after the first...
... or the second...
...ok , the third one, I am thinking something needs to be changed...
..# 4- this is now ridiculous...:willybs:
C'mon FWP!!! The F stands for FAST!

steelcitysfinestXL
12-03-2007, 02:32 PM

lol, NICE

dick rasile
12-03-2007, 02:58 PM
Yep, I remember him doing that.

Too much evidence towards the sleeves being the problem, based on the Bus, Madden's comments, and Steelcity's own experience. I cannot believe he did not remove them. Maybe not after the first...
... or the second...
...ok , the third one, I am thinking something needs to be changed...
..# 4- this is now ridiculous...:willybs:
If the BUS and Madden say they suck then pay attention and get them the hell out of the dressing room. What do you bet that some sports junk dude is pushing that **** to make money.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-03-2007, 03:07 PM
They wear them for protection too from getting rashed up on the field but they are extremely slippery as the others mentioned. I can't believe Arians and Tomlin didn't tell him to take those damn things off last night ! 4 fumbles in 1 game is just flat out inexcusable !!!

steelcitysfinestXL
12-03-2007, 03:16 PM
They wear them for protection too from getting rashed up on the field but they are extremely slippery as the others mentioned. I can't believe Arians and Tomlin didn't tell him to take those damn things off last night ! 4 fumbles in 1 game is just flat out inexcusable !!!

Your right they are great for "turf" and other harsh style fields, and when dry them and the ball are rubber on pigskin, they kinda bond by friction!!! (i'm not trying to get all Bill Nye on yinz guys, lol) But when wet i think coaches should try and urge players to get rid of them!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-03-2007, 03:22 PM
So they are actually pretty good then in warmer conditions and such correct? That's what I was always told too so that makes sense but yeah in cold and wet weather get that stuff off.

yinzer
12-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Hey chaps,

Can someone tell me what those things are on the players arms around their elbows that show the NFL logo. It just looks like a black band with the NFL logo patch and i wondered why players wera them?

Support?
just because?
protection?

any answers???

they are worn to avoid abrasions from the turf/field they play on.

TEEMONT
12-03-2007, 03:56 PM
I wore them to keep pressure on my elbows, it kinda felt good.

steelcitysfinestXL
12-03-2007, 04:13 PM
I wore them to keep pressure on my elbows, it kinda felt good.

LOL, yeah kinda like wearing compression shorts for basketball, it kaes you feel looser!! Its kind ahard to explain but them elbow sleeves are just comfy!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-03-2007, 04:15 PM
Those ones that some players wear with the tire tread stuff on them, those are pretty wicked looking :lol:

Blitzburghpete
12-03-2007, 07:57 PM
No guys i think your not quite getting what i'm asking and got the wrong things

Check this link out. It's a pciture of LT and he's got them on his bisceps.The black band things

What are they? Most players have them around their elbows

http://www.nfl.com/photo/photo-gallery?chronicleId=09000d5d8049139f

steelcitysfinestXL
12-03-2007, 11:10 PM
Oh, sweatbands/armbands... simply for looks!!!

black an gold 4 life
12-04-2007, 01:54 AM
those elbows pads r 4 when they play on turf,so they don't tear the skin off there elbows..................

portcityblackandgold
12-04-2007, 07:47 AM
They're good when its dry and the weather is good. In the rain you have wet rubber trying to grip wet leather its a disaster in the making . I hope Fast Willie has learned that, I'm sure its a bit of super superstition involved in it to.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-05-2007, 07:00 AM
Willie Parker wore rubber sleeves on his arms Sunday night, which John Madden, the Hall of Fame coach broadcasting the game on NBC, said probably contributed to Parker's four fumbles -- two of them official and recovered by the Bengals.

"I've heard that theory," Tomlin said, "but commentators need something to talk about throughout the course of the football game.

"The reality is that with that being excuse-making, we aren't going to make them. We have to hold on to the ball. Willie has to hold on to the ball. Ball security is a big part of our program, in terms of how we try to win football games, with time of possession being one of them. You jeopardize those things -- time of possession and field position -- when you don't hold on to the football, even if you do have a great defense, one that is capable of getting you out of tough spots. That standard is not going to change. You have to hold on to the football."

Tomlin said he has no idea why Parker wore the rubber sleeves and that he will not necessarily tell him not to.

"Those guys have a variety of supplemental equipment they use. Sometimes they feel like they need it. Sometimes it's a fashion statement. I was the same way when I was a young guy trying to play football.

"Willie is a professional and I trust that he will do what is required for him to be successful. I will ask him to hold on to the football in the future."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07339/839173-66.stm?cmpid=HBEHTML

BlitzburghRockCity
12-06-2007, 07:31 AM
Thursday, December 06, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Willie Parker will not wear rubber arm sleeves Sunday against the Patriots because a fan asked him not to. (vs. Bengals 12/03/2007)Fast Willie Parker vowed he won't become Fumbling Willie Parker, and, while he's at it, he promised to get rid of the rubber arm sleeves even though he said they help him grip the ball.

"I have to hold onto the ball," said Parker, who lost two fumbles Sunday and came close to losing two others. "Being a running back, you don't want to let that thing go due to anything. No matter what the weather conditions are or what, you have to hold onto the ball, make plays and run hard."

John Madden, part of the NBC Sunday night broadcast crew, suggested on the air that the rubber sleeves made it more difficult to hang onto the football when it was wet or raining.

Parker said it's just the opposite. He said Jerome Bettis is the one who taught him to wear the sleeves and they actually give him a better grip.

"John Madden has a lot of knowledge about the game but a Hall of Famer once told me use those rubber [sleeves] when it gets wet, and I've been using them ever since," Parker said. "No one complains when I'm out there carrying the ball 20, 30 times and not fumbling. It was just a bad game. I was the cause of the fumbles, not those rubber gloves."

Still, he said he will cast them aside no matter what the weather this Sunday in Foxborough, Mass. He said a boy asked him for his autograph Tuesday and then suggested he not "wear those things on your arm" anymore.

"I gave him my word I'm not going to wear them," Parker said. "That's the only reason I'm not going to wear them."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07340/839592-66.stm?cmpid=HBEHTML