PDA

View Full Version : Steelers don't want artificial turf.....

DIESELMAN
11-29-2007, 06:31 AM
PITTSBURGH -- There is nothing artificial about the Pittsburgh Steelers' feelings. They love their home-field advantage, even if it means playing on the NFL's worst field.

Two days after slogging their way to a last-minute 3-0 victory over the Miami Dolphins on as miserable a playing field as the NFL has seen in years, the Steelers were lobbying hard Wednesday to retain their grass field.

All that was missing in the players' keep-the-grass campaign was a poster displaying a swatch of artificial turf with a slash mark across it.

"I think everybody wants to keep the grass," wide receiver Hines Ward said.

The Heinz Field grass routinely deteriorates over a long season during which at least 10 Steelers games and 12 college and high school games are played there. Monday's mess was the result of a newly installed layer of sod, installed only the day before, becoming saturated with nearly 1 inches of rain in a short time.

The players are worried Monday's nationally televised field fiasco will cause the league to pressure the Steelers into putting down artificial turf. An NFL operations official is staying in town this week to monitor the field conditions ahead of Sunday's game against the Cincinnati Bengals.

"We've still got the dryers out," linebacker James Farrior said. "But if it rains again [Sunday], who knows what will happen?"

Team president Art Rooney II said the Steelers will weigh all options, including the newest-generation artificial turf. That's what has his players concerned.

"I need the grass. I like the mud. I like the sloppiness," cornerback Ike Taylor said. "I'm used to it. Mr. Rooney, can we please keep the grass? I don't want no FieldTurf. It's bad on your knees."

The Steelers have FieldTurf in their indoor practice building, which they use more frequently as the weather deteriorates late each season. Several players said it would be too much to practice several times a week on artificial turf and then go play on it.

Ward and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger don't want the Steelers to lose the home-field advantage they have in November and December, when teams accustomed to a fast artificial field must adjust to Heinz Field's ragged grass.

They might have an argument: The Steelers are 45-20-1 in November and December the last seven seasons.

"Everybody wants to see the field looking pretty," Ward said. "But that [grass] gives us a home-field advantage. You've got to learn how to play on it. For us, there's a lot more injuries on turf."

Steelers safety Troy Polamalu (knee) and wide receiver Santonio Holmes (sprained ankle) were hurt playing on artificial turf Nov. 18 against the New York Jets.

"I think every player would rather play on grass," Roethlisberger said. "The field we have is our advantage because we know what it is and we are used to it. Other teams aren't as prepared for it."

The Bengals (4-7) are accustomed to practicing on less-than-superb grass at their practice site, which may prove helpful in preparing for their annual trip to Pittsburgh. They have won there the last two seasons and could become the first opposing team to win three in a row at Heinz Field.

Willie Parker is one of the few Steelers players who wouldn't mind switching to turf, but his response was predictable. The team's fastest player, Parker said artificial turf is a help to skill position players who rely on their speed.

"But, you know, Steelers football is the grass, the mud, the messed-up field and there's a lot of advantages to that," Parker said. "Right now, we've got to use that to our advantage."

Left tackle Marvel Smith, out with a sore back, was unhappy he didn't get to play in the NFL's unofficial Mud Bowl.

"It looked like it was fun," he said. "Like a little kid playing in the mud."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3132543

Home Field Advantage is what the players want, they'll more then likely keep it.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-29-2007, 06:56 AM
and the debate goes on and on...LOL. Im sure there are more players than Willie who prefer the artificial turf as opposed to natural grass so you can't take this article as the gospel but at the same time the players do have a say as far as voicing thier opinion to someone who actually cares what they think, so we'll see what happens.

Iron City South
11-29-2007, 10:08 AM
The newest FieldTurf that they are looking at down at WVU is a new "high pile" cut which resembles the closest thing to real grass as their is. Most other stadiums that already laid down Fieldturf have the lower cut.

floodcitygirl
11-29-2007, 11:19 AM
What the people who are actually playing on that field want has got to weigh heavily in making this decision.

USAFsteelerfan
11-29-2007, 01:50 PM
Steeler Fans,

Ok, I am really starting to burn up here with all this grass/artificial turf talk. Have you guys been reading this stuff?? This is what the power rankings said on ESPN.com....Shame on the Steelers organization for allowing their MNF game to be played on such poor field conditions. It wasn't fair to the players, or the fans who invested time and money to watch the game. Either get it right or start using the artificial stuff.

Are you kidding me? I am sorry but I don't think it's a good excuse why the 0-11 Dolphins lost. I know we lost to some crappy teams (like the Jets) but come on. Does anybody really think the Dolphins could have beaten us on a field with good conditions?? I got it....Maybe the fact that Mr. Pot Head himself could help you guys anymore this year. Did these people really think Ricky Williams was the savior?? News flash....NOT SO MUCH!!! This topic is starting to get old and I have been writing to different websites with my opinion.

Now other teams and the league are starting to complain about it because of the playoffs coming up. Who cares anyway! Did home field advantage help us when we were the sixth seed and we beat Cincy, Indy, and Denver to go to the super bowl??

Well just my thoughts. Tell me what you think.....

Pissed off Steeler fan in Iraq

Hburg
11-29-2007, 06:08 PM
Uh....what's the point you're trying to make?

BuFu

Stlrs4Life
11-29-2007, 09:03 PM
Steeler Fans,

Ok, I am really starting to burn up here with all this grass/artificial turf talk. Have you guys been reading this stuff?? This is what the power rankings said on ESPN.com....Shame on the Steelers organization for allowing their MNF game to be played on such poor field conditions. It wasn't fair to the players, or the fans who invested time and money to watch the game. Either get it right or start using the artificial stuff.

Are you kidding me? I am sorry but I don't think it's a good excuse why the 0-11 Dolphins lost. I know we lost to some crappy teams (like the Jets) but come on. Does anybody really think the Dolphins could have beaten us on a field with good conditions?? I got it....Maybe the fact that Mr. Pot Head himself could help you guys anymore this year. Did these people really think Ricky Williams was the savior?? News flash....NOT SO MUCH!!! This topic is starting to get old and I have been writing to different websites with my opinion.

Now other teams and the league are starting to complain about it because of the playoffs coming up. Who cares anyway! Did home field advantage help us when we were the sixth seed and we beat Cincy, Indy, and Denver to go to the super bowl??

Well just my thoughts. Tell me what you think.....

Pissed off Steeler fan in Iraq

Agree. And from a fellow Vet. Godspeed, and keep your head low and be safe! Thanks brother!

Iron City South
11-29-2007, 09:09 PM
Uh....what's the point you're trying to make?

BuFu

No kidding. I just read the King James version of a turf rant and the dude left me with absolutely no idea with where he stands on the issue.

Stlrs4Life
11-29-2007, 09:15 PM
What the people who are actually playing on that field want has got to weigh heavily in making this decision.

:plus1: That's for sure.

Koopa
11-29-2007, 09:26 PM
they want it for stupid reasons, well i'm not reading the article casue i know what it should be lol, but i saw ben on pti last night and he said he liked it cause of the advantage, and i think that's straight up pussy ****, just proves we ain't good enough to beat teams straight up we have to use a **** poor field to do it

and pitt wants field turf to be installed, they should have equal say cause i'm sure they pay some money to play in there

Stlrs4Life
11-29-2007, 09:39 PM
Some interesting stats on Field Turf vs Natural Grass:

http://www.sportssafety.org/presentations/field-turf-vs-natural-grass/

Koopa
11-29-2007, 09:42 PM

you can't really compare our natural grass to others, cause the weather in pitt sucks monkey dick when it gets cold and rainy and makes our natural grass ****

omg, look at the years these studies were in, field turf has changed so much over the years, you can't compare the field turf used today to the one from the 90s

Iron City South
11-29-2007, 10:45 PM

Don't show that study to the "Natural Grass Camp" .... they'll claim it's bad science or has some political slant. :hilarious:

FIELD TURF .... here we come! :cabbagepatch::bigthumb:

USAFsteelerfan
11-30-2007, 03:28 AM
Wow!!!.....I didn't think it was that hard but I guess so. The point is anything people can do to make excuses and beat up the Steelers they do.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-30-2007, 06:53 AM
I started out thinking he was against field turf but by the end I had no idea :lol:

Forged in Steel
11-30-2007, 12:01 PM
If they would get fake turf then they could finally paint the endzones and have logos on the field! :yesnod::cope:

Iron City South
11-30-2007, 01:01 PM
If they would get fake turf then they could finally paint the endzones and have logos on the field! :yesnod::cope:

Now you're talking ... +1 :bigthumb:

I want our old endzones back ....

http://football.ballparks.com/NFL/PittsburghSteelers/interior.jpg

BlitzburghRockCity
11-30-2007, 01:07 PM
That is one thing I missed about TRS is the bright and colorful endzones..hell I'd even settle for just Pittsburgh on end and Steelers on the other instead of those stupid white slant lines.

Koopa
11-30-2007, 02:46 PM
they don't paint because pitt uses the field, right when pitt stops playing our logo is painted in the middle of the field, or at least that is what it seems like