PDA

View Full Version : Field turf probable for 2008 season

K Train
11-27-2007, 04:12 PM
All the fallout from last night's mess of a game in Pittsburgh leads to one conclusion: You can expect to see artificial turf at Heinz Field in 2008. ESPN has spent almost as much time decrying the turf in Pittsburgh last night as it has talking about Sean Taylor. Even before last night's game, Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported that the Steelers were examining the possibility of installing artificial turf after the season. Per Bouchette, the Steelers knew the surface on their field was in trouble even before last night and didn't feel comfortable covering it with new sod this weekend. Furthermore, the University of Pittsburgh, which also uses Heinz Field, would prefer to play on Field Turf, Boiuchette reports.

Source: Mike Florio, ProFootballTalk.com

Koopa
11-27-2007, 04:19 PM
if they do, holmes and willie are gonna be so unstoppable

BlitzburghRockCity
11-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Between ESPN, the players, NFLN, and every other person who remotely had an interest in the game griping about the turf I don't know how they can ignore it anymore. I love natural grass as much as any other NFL purist does, it doesn't get any better than mud, dirt, and snowy frozen fields to see some good ole fashioned NFL smash mouth football.

The unfortunate reality is that in this day and age with all the games that Heinz sees every year and the climate being every changing that natural grass just doesn't cut it any more. Resodding the field before last nights game was a disaster and we'd have been better leaving it as is for now. Field turf is more durable, just as safe as natural grass, and more economical because it lasts longer. That pats installed field turf during their bye week a few years ago I believe it was and had a brand new field within that 14 day stetch. The Bengals use it, the ratbirds, all the northeast teams. Having a field like we have now not only hinders us but hinders the other teams and totally negates any advantage in the speed dept that either team has and with guys like Holmes, Washington, and FWP that use speed as a big part of their game we are shooting ourselves in the foot with the turf as it is now.

K Train
11-27-2007, 04:27 PM
as long as its outside its good.....field turf is grass....on steroids

AZ_Steeler
11-27-2007, 06:29 PM
Furthermore, the University of Pittsburgh, which also uses Heinz Field, would prefer to play on Field Turf, Boiuchette reports.

Source: Mike Florio, ProFootballTalk.com
Right there is the problem... Pitt needs to get their own field! There aren't too many colleges I know of that get to use a legit NFL stadium. I know the Cardinals use to use a college stadium but that has recently changed.

K Train
11-27-2007, 06:43 PM
its not an issue if its turf...everyones happy, they can high school and college game the **** out of it, they can hold concerts and bull fights and that **** will always look ****ing beautiful

Prosdo
11-27-2007, 06:46 PM
Note to Pitt: Get your own freaking field!!! :cursin:

AZ_Steeler
11-27-2007, 06:46 PM
Is there any artificial mud they can throw on it???

Ambridge
11-27-2007, 08:27 PM
Right there is the problem... Pitt needs to get their own field! There aren't too many colleges I know of that get to use a legit NFL stadium. I know the Cardinals use to use a college stadium but that has recently changed.

I agree!!
Pitt football games at Heinz Field are a joke!!
Attendance doesn't even come close to filling the stadium to half capacity and it looks really bad on TV.

I remember going to old Pitt Stadium which was a cool old stadium.....the Panthers need to get their own home field.......and the Rooneys need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Dako
11-27-2007, 08:43 PM
yup fake grass is the solution....lookat how it has helped the ravens' offense

Koopa
11-27-2007, 08:45 PM
yup fake grass is the solution....lookat how it has helped the ravens' offense

field has nothing to do with it, it's poor coaching

Dako
11-27-2007, 08:51 PM
but billick is a genius....just ask him

BlitzburghRockCity
11-27-2007, 08:53 PM
but billick is a genius....just ask him

and the ratbirds are super bowl contenders every year too :lol:

Stlrs4Life
11-27-2007, 09:29 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_539968.html?source=rss&feed=9

Koopa
11-27-2007, 09:33 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_539968.html?source=rss&feed=9

**** art, he's saying it just to shut ppl up, the nfl needs to step in and say **** you bitches install it or be fined lol.........the players should go on strike till the rooneys put an exceptable playing ground for them

i hate that "it's what the game is meant to be played on" argument, it's ****ing retarded, the game is meant to be fair to both teams, and with our field it isn't fair to both teams, and thats why every year it's voted the worse field by the nfl players, rooneys need to open their damn eyes already

BlitzburghRockCity
11-27-2007, 09:34 PM
If the Rooney's don't wake up and install field turf we're going to have more the same damn **** poor field conditions we've had every year in the past. Stop wasting money on natural grass that doesn't work anymore and lets move forward with a better field, please !

Friday133
11-27-2007, 10:09 PM
Sigh, why are all you yinzers so against PITT? They aren't going to get their own field so stop bitching about it. There isn't enough land in Oakland for the university to get their hands on to build another stadium. Face it, they are equal partners at Heinz Field and will continue to be so.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-27-2007, 10:15 PM
We all know they aren't going to get their own field, they went in the cost to make Heinz Field a reality so they are here to stay, but we still would rather they did get their own field and let it be the full college atmosphere like you get in other big time sports stadiums in universities all over the country. Heinz is the Steelers home first and everybody realizes that on gameday for football the Steelers and Heinz field go hand in hand and the Panthers just never seem to fill out the stadium and be able to make it their own home, atleast IMO. However that isn't going to happen so lets atleast get field turf and make the surface better for everyone all around including the high school kids.

Koopa
11-27-2007, 10:17 PM
Sigh, why are all you yinzers so against PITT? They aren't going to get their own field so stop bitching about it. There isn't enough land in Oakland for the university to get their hands on to build another stadium. Face it, they are equal partners at Heinz Field and will continue to be so.

then they should have a say in how the field is too, and they want field turf...... rooneys are being greedy

GoBenGo
11-28-2007, 12:07 AM
its not an issue if its turf...everyones happy, they can high school and college game the shiat out of it, they can hold concerts and bull fights and that shiat will always look ****ing beautiful
:bigthumb::popcorn:That's why I always read the "K":rofl::haha:

BlacknGold Bleeder
11-28-2007, 12:18 AM
I agree!!
I remember going to old Pitt Stadium which was a cool old stadium.....

Pitt was a great stadium, problem is that is where the field house.. errrr ..Event Center is now. They seem to have changed the emphasis to basketball. There is nowhere to put up a new stadium and who would pay for it?? That was one of the selling points on Heinz Field to the taxpayers, that both teams would use it !!

black an gold 4 life
11-28-2007, 12:40 AM
yea they need 2 do something about the grass, but if we do get turf watch out the rest of the nfl because fast willie will b uncatchable lol, santonio holmes 2 man that would b something huh?

Forged in Steel
11-28-2007, 12:47 AM

and don't forget, the WPIAL High School Football Championship Games!

BlitzburghRockCity
11-28-2007, 06:53 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07332/837278-66.stm?cmpid=HBEHTML

Let's just hope they can atleast make it doable this weekend and get through this year and hope to God that they come to their senses and get field turf.

BlitzburghNation
11-28-2007, 07:29 AM
Is there any artificial mud they can throw on it???

Good One ~~~~~ :haha:

MDSteel15
11-28-2007, 11:52 AM
Here it is in a nutshell. Rooney should have paid someone to stay up late Saturday night to rip up the old field and put down the new! PERIOD. Everyone crying for fake grass, be ashamed! Football was made to play on grass and in the mud. It was never meant to to "pretty" as someone put it. Monday was a travesty but don't ruin Heinz by putting down that fake shiat.

Koopa
11-28-2007, 03:52 PM
Here it is in a nutshell. Rooney should have paid someone to stay up late Saturday night to rip up the old field and put down the new! PERIOD. Everyone crying for fake grass, be ashamed! Football was made to play on grass and in the mud. It was never meant to to "pretty" as someone put it. Monday was a travesty but don't ruin Heinz by putting down that fake shiat.

blah blah blah, football wasn't meant to play on grass and mud it just happened that way, if they had the choice back in teh day i bet they'd want artifical turf too

K Train
11-28-2007, 04:38 PM
football was made to be played on a football field, in a stadium in front of people and on TV...i think domes are gay and it should be played outside....the mud and grass is overated....field turf is better than grass, its safer than playing on a **** field and it looks nicer, with the wear and tear heinz takes...why not get something that the majority prefers, will last much much longer and be a better surface to play on than that grass diarrhea they played on this week

SteelCityMan786
11-28-2007, 05:00 PM

As long as the taxpayers are funding the stadium, unfortunately we're stuck with it. I want Pitt to knock down some buildings that are getting old and maintenance costs are getting high on and build their own field. They could fill a 50,000 seat stadium. Until a time comes, Pitt's only going to draw 15 -20,000 at best for games minus the rivalries. Maybe 2-4,000 students go to games when another school almost in the center of the state(Coughs Penn State Coughs) can get 20,000 students to go to theirs. Now yeah, they may not have to fight all of the pro sports teams that Pitt does, but we do have a Minor League Baseball team in town and they try make sure that they don't play at home unless the circumstances don't allow under the NYPL scheduling format when Penn State has a home game.

TEEMONT
11-28-2007, 05:04 PM
blah blah blah, football wasn't meant to play on grass and mud it just happened that way, if they had the choice back in teh day i bet they'd want artifical turf too

Some of us here have actually played on both grass and turf...and prefer grass. Have you played on either?

As a player and a fan, I prefer grass, muddy games in the rain are more fun to watch than just flat out rainy games, and they are also more fun to play in.

$teeler$guy
11-28-2007, 05:08 PM

yep because the steelers share the field wit other football teams in college

K Train
11-28-2007, 05:18 PM
Some of us here have actually played on both grass and turf...and prefer grass. Have you played on either?

As a player and a fan, I prefer grass, muddy games in the rain are more fun to watch than just flat out rainy games, and they are also more fun to play in.

ive played on both, mostly grass, but turf was always like a treat imo

Iron City South
11-28-2007, 05:24 PM
A team like the Steelers that is built around athleticism, speed, and agility ... not necessarily size, needs to play on a synthetic surface in effort to optimize the talent of your $80M payroll.

With the timing being of blocking schemes, route running, etc. being so important, I've always questioned Rooney's decision to have a practice facility that they practice on 6 days a week that has FieldTurf ... only to move the team to a grass field on game day.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-28-2007, 05:51 PM
The only difference between field turf and natural grass is that there is a lot less up keep with field turf, it's cheaper in the long run, it lasts nearly forever, and it's just as easy on the feet and knees as grass so it's a win win situation all the way around IMO.

K Train
11-28-2007, 06:54 PM
seriously, then they can hold all the games, concerts, bull fights, tractor races and field hockey games they want monday-saturday

GoBenGo
11-28-2007, 06:55 PM
Boise St has a blue field, we could have yellow!... or black turf would be cool!l...lol http://i10.tinypic.com/7yprbb6.jpghttp://i4.tinypic.com/73alum1.jpg
Del State has the new turf, and several of the high schools in this area. It can't be a budget thing. I can appreciate the principal of old skool grass... but it is turf time... IMO the offense , in it's design, is better for turf.
Besides, it is a miracle no one got injured from it Monday. A MIRACLE.

K Train
11-28-2007, 07:06 PM
smurf turf....ohhhhhh yeaaaahhhhhhh

Koopa
11-28-2007, 07:27 PM
ben said he prefers the mud and grass, because of the advantage it gives us, that's pussy ****, i guess we ain't good enough to beat a team straight up we have to use a **** poor field to help

GoBenGo
11-30-2007, 07:07 PM
http://i4.tinypic.com/8ajvu5l.jpg
JUST DO IT

K Train
11-30-2007, 07:13 PM
i love the smurf turf lol

i think if we wanted to be different black with yellow lines would be pretty sick lol

SteelCityMan786
11-30-2007, 07:46 PM
i love the smurf turf lol

i think if we wanted to be different black with yellow lines would be pretty sick lol

Yeah, but then Pitt would throw a fit.

Prosdo
11-30-2007, 09:55 PM
Yeah, but then Pitt would throw a fit.

The hell with Pitt. I like them but please get your own stadium.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-30-2007, 10:11 PM
Atleast if we can get turf it's more easily painted and kept nice for all the 4000 teams what want to play at Heinz every year. Twisted ankles and sprained knees happen every week on grass or turf but this wasting money on grass just has to go IMO. Our climate here just doesn't suit it anymore. Back in the day it was cool, and I love mud and muck as much as anyone but it's just not practical anymore and sooner or later it's going to cost us big time in more ways than just money. Just my :2cents:

Why not get turf and use the money we spend every year resodding the field to give to a charity or something?

MDSteel15
11-30-2007, 10:21 PM

Yeah, I'm sure all the torn tendons caused by the old artificial turfs were jus wonderful... It was meant to be played outside ON GRASS. The crap they played on Monday night was the Rooney's screw up. Just put donw 1 surface and leave it.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]

football was made to be played on a football field, in a stadium in front of people and on TV...i think domes are gay and it should be played outside....the mud and grass is overated....field turf is better than grass, its safer than playing on a shiat field and it looks nicer, with the wear and tear heinz takes...why not get something that the majority prefers, will last much much longer and be a better surface to play on than that grass diarrhea they played on this week

K, that was a one time thing. Nothing wrong with the field being grass.

[AutoMerged Post Below]

Yes, someone else who KNOWS what I am talking about!

K Train
11-30-2007, 10:24 PM
field turf is better nufced....surfaces change, just because when football was invented a hundred years ago they didnt have a choice doesnt mean thats the only way it can be, otherwise we would still be using old leather pads and an awkward shaped home stitched football.

I dont think basketball was played on a shiny gym floor when it was created

EDIT....and no, it wastn just one time...heinz field sucks every year

MDSteel15
11-30-2007, 10:28 PM
It doesn't suck, I've been on it! Nothing wrong with it except Monday they had one surface on top of another, that's what really screwed it up.

K Train
11-30-2007, 10:32 PM
no it does in fact suck...every year it takes an absolute beating, thus making it suck

Randall
12-01-2007, 12:00 PM
The field surface in Heinz does take a beating from 10 Steeler home games, 12 Pitt home games, and other High School games played there. The problem with Monday was the new surface on the old, it didnt have any time for the sod to grab hold of the old surface, and it rained like a ma f***a.

The Steelers players like the grass because it is an advantage for them. They know how to play on it. The other teams dont so it gives the Steelers home field advantage. I dont think it will be replaces because the fans nor the players want it.

On another note, Willie Parker is fast in Hienz as is Santonio. And as someone said earlier, they would break speed records on some grassy turf, lol.

SteelCityMan786
12-01-2007, 12:20 PM
The hell with Pitt. I like them but please get your own stadium.

One more reason why I'm thankful to be a PSU fan. My team has their own stadium.

TampaSteelGirl
12-02-2007, 12:09 AM

I agree! they need to keep anyone but the Steelers to play on it and stop putting new sod over old! It's not that hard to figure out! :banging:

[AutoMerged Post Below]

One more reason why I'm thankful to be a PSU fan. My team has their own stadium.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana: