PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' O-line only gets blame for two sacks by Jets

SteelersWoman
11-24-2007, 03:25 PM
http://www.heraldstandard.com/site/news.cfm?dept_id=468632&PAG=461&newsid=19049008

By Jim Wexell, For the Herald-Standard
11/23/2007

Willie Colon's mom warned him she'd change the locks at her Bronx apartment if he and the Steelers lost to the Jets. But mom never dreamed that her boy would be part of a protection unit that would yield seven sacks on the way to the loss.

"She's still talking to me," said Colon. "She's okay with it now."

So, too, is the coaching staff after films exonerated the offensive line for most of the damage caused by the sacks in Sunday's game.

Four of the sacks have been pinned on the quarterback/wide receivers and a fifth was the fault of a tight end. That left two sacks that were attributed directly to the offensive line.

"It wasn't all us," said guard Alan Faneca, "but at the same time we could've given him more time."

Faneca did agree that the quarterback held the ball too long at times.

"Sometimes that's required," he said. "Sometimes he's making big plays with that. That's part of just playing."

"When you live and die by the creativity, sometimes it bites you," said offensive coordinator Bruce Arians. "You can't take away the creativity, so those will happen sometimes."

It's the trade-off. When Ben Roethlisberger takes big, seven-step drops, he's looking for big plays down the field. On the other hand, Roethlisberger won't elude every rusher. He's on pace to be sacked 48 times this season. The team record is 51 by Cliff Stoudt in 1983. Roethlisberger was sacked 46 times last year.

Can anything be done to shorten Roethlisberger's drops? Perhaps throwing quick slants off three-step drops?

"We got rid of some of that stuff this year," Roethlisberger said. "But I think you'll start to see more of it come back. I think we feel we need to get the ball into the playmakers' hands quick. Our receivers are very good creating once they get the ball, but we need to get them the ball quick and let them make some plays."

No so fast my friend, says Arians.

"I've never been a big fan of three-step (drops)," Arians said. "I think corners read it and jump it. The quick five-step is much better and we've been really successful with it. You can get the ball out of your hand in relatively the same time."

One of the problems late Sunday was the loss of deep threat Santonio Holmes. He was injured with just over 12 minutes remaining and Roethlisberger managed to complete only one pass for six yards the rest of the game. He was sacked three times and fumbled twice down the stretch.

Wasn't anyone open?

"Yeah, but we kept getting sacked," said receiver Hines Ward. "By the time I'd get 10 yards, I'd look back and he was scrambling around and there was pressure in his face. We missed each other a couple times. I asked what happened and he said he had pressure in his face. We had opportunities."

Round and round it goes. Some say the pressure caused the pass-game breakdowns; some say the coverage caused the pressure.

"We just weren't clicking, no matter what it was," said Faneca. "Whether it be passing game or running game, it was us on one play blocking or other guys on other plays. It seemed like there was one guy that made one mistake on everything. There weren't too many plays that we were all doing what we were supposed to be doing."

And that's usually the bottom line in a loss.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-24-2007, 03:36 PM
Seems like nobody knows WTH is going to get this fixed. The OL says it wasn't all them, Ben says it's not all him, the WR's say they didn't have time to get open, Arians says he won't do 3 step drops...well for **** sakes is this what we have to look forward too from now on??? A team who can't figure out how to protect the Quarterback and still make plays ???? :banging:

SteelersWoman
11-24-2007, 03:46 PM
Yeah, it seems that it's "The Blame Game", with no real idea of how to fix the breakdowns.

If it were only one unit, (or one person's) fault it would be much easier to solve than it will be with problems on all sides of the ball.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-24-2007, 08:49 PM
It's a bit disturbing if you ask me, we know we have protection problems; they've been evident all year long. Now we're headed into the home stretch and they are worse now than ever.

yinzer
11-24-2007, 09:31 PM
Seems like nobody knows WTH is going to get this fixed. The OL says it wasn't all them, Ben says it's not all him, the WR's say they didn't have time to get open, Arians says he won't do 3 step drops...well for shiat sakes is this what we have to look forward too from now on??? A team who can't figure out how to protect the Quarterback and still make plays ???? :banging:

Very true. Not one person/position wants to take the blame. can we blame them? It seems to me that somebody might have to be knocked off their high horses. I read an interesting statement from Arians that said he didn't like the 3 step drop. Well, if it's going to give Ben the opportunity to make plays, gain yards, and put up points, then we should do it. If Arian's ego starts getting in the way of winning games, he better consider a sex change and moving away from the Burgh because fans ain't having it. Including myself!!:nono:

black an gold 4 life
11-25-2007, 02:13 AM
the pass the blame game, man up o-line q.b an recievers, back an arians,we need more short 5 yards passes 2 keep the ball moving,wake up it time 2 man up!!!!!!!!!!offense let's go...........

steelersgal86
11-25-2007, 08:45 AM
It's a bit disturbing if you ask me, we know we have protection problems; they've been evident all year long. Now we're headed into the home stretch and they are worse now than ever.

That is true....you would think things would be getting better not worse....:crossfingers:

BlitzburghRockCity
11-26-2007, 12:47 AM
Watching the eagles play the Pats tonight it just affirms even more that if you can protect your Quarterback you can find holes in their defense and make plays but it's all about protection. If our 5 lineman can't keep Ben upright and out of duress from the pass rush we're not going to be able to do anything. It's up to Ben as well to get rid of the ball as quickly as possible but the OL has got to give him some time.

Woodson_DownUnder
11-26-2007, 03:35 AM
The running game is becoming a concern when our Steelers can't establish penetrating ways to breakdown the opposition on 1st & 2nd downs so the PASS RUSH won't become to intolerable on 3rd downs. That's just part of problem I feel.

Steelers need to break plays early in the game and keep the opposition second guessing. That's the key. :2cents: