PDA

View Full Version : Timmons could see more action in patchwork defense

BlitzburghRockCity
11-23-2007, 06:57 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07327/836097-66.stm?cmpid=HBEHTML

Friday, November 23, 2007
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Steelers might have a different defensive look when they play the Miami Dolphins, even if the formations and personnel are not readily recognizable.

But one player could stand out: Rookie linebacker Lawrence Timmons, their No. 1 draft pick.

Because of injuries at safety, defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau will have to juggle the appearance of the dime defensive package, which typically features two linemen, three linebackers and six defensive backs.

But, with Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu (knee) not expected to play, his role in the dime defense will be performed by either Timmons or inside linebacker Larry Foote. Polamalu plays close to the line of scrimmage and acts more like a linebacker in the dime defense.

The scheme will look more like the nickel defense, which features four linebackers and five defensive backs, but, in actuality, it will be their dime package. It could be the first extensive action for Timmons, who has played mainly on special teams.

Let's see what our efforts has brought about with Timmons ! Im anxious to see him out on the field making plays !

DIESELMAN
11-23-2007, 07:13 AM
This should be real interesting, he's fully healed. Show us what you got Big Boy!!!!!

BlacknGold Bleeder
11-23-2007, 09:05 AM
This is his chance to make some plays.Somehow though I don't see him being able to do everything Troy does....the Defense is just gonna have to step it up !!

BlitzburghRockCity
11-23-2007, 09:07 AM
Yeah this is going to be a defense by committee in those situations so everyone is going to have to step up their game big time this weekend. Even though it's the Dolphins, which can make it even more crazy because they have nothing to lose and have no problems letting it all hang out. You know they are going to watch the tape of the Jet game to see what they did so we better be ready.

BlacknGold Bleeder
11-23-2007, 09:14 AM
The interesting wrinkle the jets were using on defense was bringing a lineman from the 'backer position. Our line had a helluva time with that, stopping that big boy once he had a head of steam. I know there was talk of Keisel doing that this year but it just hasn't had the same effect as the way the jets did it..

K Train
11-23-2007, 01:22 PM
timmons has good instincts, he should excel in spying the play, thats his strong point....playing "like troy" hes a little more disciplined though

SteelerFan87
11-23-2007, 02:37 PM
Nice. It's as good a time as any to see what he can do. I'd like to see Woodley get some more playing time as well. And I'm all for more versatility and different things we can throw at the other team.

black an gold 4 life
11-23-2007, 03:07 PM
ONE THING ABOUT TIMMONS IS THIS CAT HAS SPEED, I KNOW HE'S READY 2 GO OUT AN KILL SOME ONE PLAYING SPECIAL TEAMS AN UR AN 1ST ROUND PICK JUST AIN'T GONNA MAKE IT,I HOPE HE TAKES ADVANTAGE OF THIS OPPURTUNITY!!!!!!! I WOULD ALSO LIKE 2 C WOODLEY AN TIMMONS OUT THERE AT THE SAME TIME WHAT THIS YEAR HAS SHOWN ME IS THAT WERE OLD ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL, WE NEED AN NEW OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR, WE NEED AN NEW O-LINE COACH WE NEED AN REAL SPECIAL TEAMS COACH!!!!!!!!

Koopa
11-23-2007, 03:20 PM
timmons has good instincts, he should excel in spying the play, thats his strong point....playing "like troy" hes a little more disciplined though

that's what i wanted to say, at least timmons might not over shoot everytime he has a chance to make the stop in the back field

steelcitysfinestXL
11-24-2007, 03:16 PM

:plus1:as always train!!!Timmons is a good coverage backer that hits like a truck and can tackle with the best of them!!!! This is GREAT news... MORE WOODLEY TOO DAMN IT!!!!!

K Train
11-24-2007, 03:23 PM
he has always excelled in coverage, but lets not label him because he was always a vicious tackler and a great pass rusher, he played DE at FSU too...the man understands leverage and how to get to the QB

AZ_Steeler
11-24-2007, 04:55 PM
Who's this guy Timmons... I haven't heard is name all year! :whistle: ;)

Let's hope he can show why the Steelers drafted him!

NOVA STEELERS
11-26-2007, 08:19 AM
Looking forward to seeing what Timmons can bring........... would like to see Woodley in there more as well :2cents:

Stairwayto7
11-26-2007, 05:12 PM
Whoever plays. Lets kick ***!