PDA

View Full Version : Steelers to install new sod at Heinz on Saturday.

Stlrs4Life
11-22-2007, 10:42 AM
Steelers to install new sod at Heinz Field Saturday
Wednesday, November 21, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Heinz Field will have a new look to it when the Steelers play the Dolphins Monday night.

It will have a whole new field.

The Post-Gazette has learned that the Steelers this weekend will cover their entire field with new sod, placing it over the DD GrassMaster field that is mostly composed of grass. However, that grass has deteriorated as usual into November and it won't be any better after the four WPIAL high school championship games are played at Heinz Field Friday, followed by Pitt vs. South Florida Saturday afternoon.

The current turf won't be replaced but covered up by the new sod, which is heavy enough that it won't have to be tied down. The work will begin after Pitt's game ends.

It's the first time sod will cover the DD GrassMaster that was installed four years ago.

"Our goal is to do everything in our power to provide the best possible conditions for both teams,'' Jimmie Sacco,, director of Heinz Stadium management said in a statement released by the Steelers this afternoon.

"After considering the number of high school, college and pro football games being played at Heinz Field in November, combined with the possibility of inclement weather, we believe this will be the best way to go.

"We will continue to use our regular playing surface in the future, but feel this option will provide for the most enjoyable game day experience for both the players and the fans in the final games of the season."

The sod will stay in place through the rest of the 2007 NFL season.

AZ_Steeler
11-22-2007, 11:00 AM
I hate when they do this mid-season... they seem to come out with the wrong shoes and everyone is slipping all over the place. Oh well... hopefully they have a walk thru before hand to get use to the new stuff...

BlitzburghRockCity
11-22-2007, 11:06 AM
"Our goal is to do everything in our power to provide the best possible conditions for both teams,'' Jimmie Sacco,, director of Heinz Stadium management said in a statement released by the Steelers this afternoon.

yeah it's called FIELD TURF !! :cursin: I swear we have one of the most beautiful and unique stadiums in all over sports but it gets overshadowed because of crappy field conditions that are the laughing stock of the league. I like natural grass as much as the next guy but damn it just doesn't work in this climate. Everybody else knows it but the Rooneys' will never do it.

black an gold 4 life
11-22-2007, 11:38 AM
U WANT 2 SOLVE THE PROBLEM STOP ALL THESE HIGH SCHOOLS,COLLEGES FROM PLAYING ON HEINZ FIELD, BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER WITH WILLIE HE HAS BEEN SLIPPING ON ANY TURF LOL THIS YEAR!!

BlitzburghRockCity
11-22-2007, 11:41 AM
The Rooney's will never do it though :nonod: Don't they realize the quality of the field is more important than watching high school kids play at Heinz??? I mean you only get so many chances in an NFL season and the turf gets messed up enough as it is from wear due to climate and elements in the northeast along with the Steelers but when you factor in the Panthers and all the high school teams it just a bunch of crap that we have to put up with subpar field conditions when we're a professional football team and trying to make a run at the postseason. The turf we have now and have every other year is just asking for a disaster with a player getting injured because they lose their footing or they slip on their way to a crucial play that could mean the turning point in a tough game. It's a waste of money to keep resodding the field 2 or 3 times a year !

It's a disgrace to have such a landmark venue in the world of architecture be discredited because the field looks like crap and performs the same.

AZ_Steeler
11-22-2007, 02:46 PM
The HS championship games played at the big arenas is like a reward to these guys... they do the same thing for the HS teams here in AZ as well.

Koopa
11-22-2007, 03:05 PM
well seeing how old the rooneys are it won't be long till new ownership comes along, hopefully they are young enough to realize grass is gay when you can have badass field turf where willie and holmes would kill ppl with speed

Stlrs4Life
11-22-2007, 03:50 PM
I think field turf is the best option, and in the long run would be alot cheaper also.

SteelCityMan786
11-22-2007, 04:29 PM
well seeing how old the rooneys are it won't be long till new ownership comes along, hopefully they are young enough to realize grass is gay when you can have badass field turf where willie and holmes would kill ppl with speed

Only thing is, the next owner will be Art Rooney II. The Steelers are family business. It's not leaving the Rooney Family.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]

I think field turf is the best option, and in the long run would be alot cheaper also.

Not necessarily. Field Turf still requires as much maintenance as Natural Grass. You have to replace the fibers used to help hold it down which cost a lot per year, plus you have to treat it for insects and diseases. Plus you may have to push down any spots that the turf is rising at. Also, you have to replace it every 10-12 years with the Base lasting about 30 years. However, the price would depend on the Gmax Rating. From what I have read(If they get the same stuff that my school has), the Gmaz rating should NEVER exceed 200 for helmeted sports, and if they want to hold events that are non-helmeted, they'll need to have nothing worse then 150.

From an injury prospective, Field Turf is as costly as it's mother field surface known as astro turf. Turf injuries are worse in impact and in length. Trust me, I sprained my ankle(Same one that caused me to miss my basketball season a year ago) and tried to play a JV Game, It didn't get worse, but it kept nagging me.

Natural Grass the most have to is mow, treat the soil for diseases, etc. Cost wise yeah, it can be a pain. But you don't have to replace it. It's just mainly a maintenance issue.

Bottom Line. The Rooney's don't need to change the turf, it just need to be maintained better.

[AutoMerged Post Below]

The HS championship games played at the big arenas is like a reward to these guys... they do the same thing for the HS teams here in AZ as well.

The High School Basketball championships are played in State College at Penn State. It's pretty much the size of a regulation NBA Arena.

Iron City South
11-22-2007, 06:55 PM
Another temporary stop-gap measure by the Rooney's is how I look at it. It's not that everyone doesn't see that FieldTurf is the right answer, it's more the Rooney's refusing to cave into popular opinion. They're trying to defend their long-standing position of going sod (DD-Grassmaster) and are too proud (and bull-headed) to change their tune now.

TampaSteelGirl
11-22-2007, 10:27 PM
U WANT 2 SOLVE THE PROBLEM STOP ALL THESE HIGH SCHOOLS,COLLEGES FROM PLAYING ON HEINZ FIELD, BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER WITH WILLIE HE HAS BEEN SLIPPING ON ANY TURF LOL THIS YEAR!!

Yea that boy needs some Tiger Woods golf spikes to keep him on his feet!!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
11-22-2007, 11:07 PM

Yeah but how much snow, sleet, ice, and freezing temps do you in Arizona :lol:

BlacknGold Bleeder
11-23-2007, 01:19 AM
:iagree:

This is a big thing to these kids and shouldn't be taken away from them.I also agree that it ends up being a mess this time every year,and that sucks!!!If they want to keep resodding the field year after year that's up to them. It kinda gives us a home field advantage....

GoBenGo
11-23-2007, 11:19 AM
So they cover the xisting field with new sod? this sounds like a recipe for disaster. It is gonna be divot city, Oh and the seams... Ridiculous

BlitzburghRockCity
11-23-2007, 11:20 AM
So they cover the xisting field with new sod? this sounds like a recipe for disaster. It is gonna be divot city, Oh and the seams... Ridiculous

this is what they do every year, 2 or 3 times a year. We are constantly resodding the field and then in the offseason a company comes in and redoes the entire field all over again. It just makes NO sense to me to waste this money constantly when everybody else in the northeast uses field turf ! :banging:

Prosdo
11-23-2007, 03:41 PM
I wish they would put turf down. The field looks like crap. You have all these people tearing up Heinz Field and screwing up the grass.

K Train
11-23-2007, 03:46 PM
the outside field turf that bengals have is amazing....willie and santonio are ridiculous on that **** lol

SteelCityMan786
11-25-2007, 01:41 PM
Probably wishful thinking. The Steelers went on record of having stated that they wanted to keep using grass in the future.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07329/836557-66.stm

Steelers interested in WVU field surface for Heinz Field

The Steelers are investigating artificial surfaces and it appears they might install one at Heinz Field before the start of the 2008 season.

They acknowledged the surface on their field was not good enough when they covered it with new sod this weekend for tomorrow night's game. Now they are looking to take the next step and put something down permanently.

They have been particularly interested in the new surface West Virginia University has this year. WVU installed a new generation of Field Turf this summer called Duraspine at the cost of $901,152. The Steelers sent some of their people to WVU to take a look at the turf there.

The Steelers have practiced on a different version of Field Turf at their indoor facility since 2000, as has Pitt. The Panthers added an artificial turf called Sportexe on one of their outdoor practice fields next to the Steelers this year.

Pitt also has been urging the Steelers to install an artificial turf. Imagine trying to recruit quarterbacks, wide receivers and running backs and showing them in November or December the kind of surface on which they will play their home games. It can only be a recruiting disadvantage.

"In partnering with Sportexe, we were able to make our outstanding practice facility even greater with the installation of a cutting-edge synthetic turf surface," said former Pitt athletic director Jeff Long at the time the new turf was installed.

If they're bragging about it helping their practices, imagine what an artificial turf can do for games!

BlitzburghRockCity
11-26-2007, 01:18 AM
This whole thing just pisses me off to no end, our field is a joke and we waste money every year resodding it only to see it get tore up again and again. Natural grass surfaces are just not practical anymore and haven't been for years in the northeast. Unless you play in a warm weather climate it's a waste of time to try and use natural grass.

I love the Rooney's, they are the best owners in the professional sports IMO but for God sakes it's time to move on and get FIELD TURF !!!

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_539700.html

By Tricia Lafferty
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, November 26, 2007

Heinz Field underwent a makeover just in time for the Steelers' game against the Miami Dolphins tonight.

The field was completely resodded during a project that began Saturday afternoon after the Pitt-South Florida game and was scheduled to be completed late Sunday night.

Although the middle of the field was resodded in 2002, according to director of Heinz Field management Jimmie Sacco, the grass at Heinz Field was completely resodded for the first time over the weekend.

After five games in two days -- four WPIAL championships on Friday and South Florida-Pitt on Saturday -- the surface will improve playing conditions, Sacco said.

story continues below

"It's providing the best possible playing surface for both teams, not just the Steelers," he said. "We have three remaining home games and the playoffs coming up and we want to have a good playing field.

"This is something we're trying and, hopefully, we can stay with this in the future."

Resodding the field entails placing an additional layer of sod over the DD Grassmaster, the original surface that consists of mainly grass and is tied to the ground.

The 4-feet-by-25-feet pieces of sod are heavy enough that they do not need to be tied to the ground like the first layer of grass. The 2 1/2 acres of sod were cut and placed over the original surface, and the seams were barely noticeable.

Heinz Field sports turf manager Chris Ecton said that although the sod is not tied down, he is not worried about the grass shifting or being torn up.

"We just scalped down the grass that we had and groomed it up really nice and then raked it, and now we're just laying the sod right over top the existing surface," Ecton said.

"The sod is so thick that it kind of bogged down. The seams won't be a problem. It will be really hard to pick them out after (Sunday)."

The new sod will remain on the field until the end of the season, Sacco said.

"We're exploring every year, every way possible that we can provide a good playing surface at Heinz Field," he said. "And, as everyone knows, the month of November, between the high school football games, the University of Pittsburgh and then the Steelers, we had seven football games in 11 days, so we're continuing to explore and try any way possible."

As the turf versus grass debate continues at Heinz Field, Sacco gave no indication that the next remodeling project would involve turf.

"We're looking at every possible type of surface there is out there," he said. "We do like natural playing surfaces, and that's why we continue to look at how we can improve it every year. We look at every possible angle out there."

TEEMONT
11-26-2007, 01:32 AM
Don't they realize the quality of the field is more important than watching high school kids play at Heinz??? I mean you only get so many chances in an NFL season and the turf gets messed up enough as it is from wear due to climate and elements in the northeast along with the Steelers but when you factor in the Panthers and all the high school teams it just a bunch of crap that we have to put up with subpar field conditions when we're a professional football team and trying to make a run at the postseason.

I don't think you understand how big of a deal it is to play in a pro-stadium. To some of these kids, this is the only chance they will ever have to play in a 60,000 person venue.

You wanna save some wear and tear on the field, then get rid of Pitt, they play like *** anyways. Besides, the teams we play against have to play on the same field. It's not like we are at a disadvantage b/c of the field.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-26-2007, 01:40 AM
I do understand what it's like for kids to want to play in a pro stadium, Ive been to many a highschool football game and have had many friends on the teams over the years. The issue here is that we're talking about a professional football team where every single game in a 16 game season is critical and we're shortchanging ourselves because of our ****** field conditions and in the end that's what really matter IMO. Believe me Im all for getting rid of Pitt playing at Heinz field, Ive never liked them playing there in the first place but since they put up some of the money for Heinz and what not they aren't going away anytime soon.

If Pitt would play in their own stadium then I'd have no issue with having the high school kids play a few games there during the season but since Pitt isn't leaving then unfortunately something has to give and that is the high schools.

TEEMONT
11-26-2007, 07:35 AM
I do understand what it's like for kids to want to play in a pro stadium, Ive been to many a highschool football game and have had many friends on the teams over the years. The issue here is that we're talking about a professional football team where every single game in a 16 game season is critical and we're shortchanging ourselves because of our shiatty field conditions and in the end that's what really matter IMO. Believe me Im all for getting rid of Pitt playing at Heinz field, Ive never liked them playing there in the first place but since they put up some of the money for Heinz and what not they aren't going away anytime soon.

If Pitt would play in their own stadium then I'd have no issue with having the high school kids play a few games there during the season but since Pitt isn't leaving then unfortunately something has to give and that is the high schools.

Well, I have to say, I totally disagree with the idea of getting rid of the high schools. It's a tradition that has been going on far too long to just get rid of now.

Those games are one of the few times the "Almighty Dollar" doesn't rule all, and it's nice to not have the bottom line make a decision to ruin a few high school kids seasons. Yeah, it may **** the field, but football was meant to be played on ****** fields, give me mud and muck and day of the week over domes and field turf.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-26-2007, 09:12 AM
I respect your opinion even if I disagree with it to a point. I like the idea of kids being able to play in big league stadiums now and then no problem, however the line has to be drawn somewhere and I just think our stadium field gets so much use that it becomes a distraction and a safety issue for us in an already short regular season...mud and muck is one thing but divits, gaping chunks of turf everywhere, having to resod several times a year, it's just not something I think we should keep doing.

Koopa
11-26-2007, 08:17 PM
i say **** high school kids, bastards ain't ever gonna do **** in life anyway lol

and i think the league should step in and say **** you and your old school bs rooney, and order them to put down field turf......... hell even pitt wants it, and don't they pay for the field too???

SteelerNerd
11-26-2007, 08:18 PM
Woo hoo new surface!

BB2W
11-26-2007, 08:33 PM
I hate this feild... it is ridiculous! :banging:

K Train
11-26-2007, 08:34 PM
the idea of football should be played on grass sucks, thats retarded....football should be played outside, i agree with that, but field turf is ****ing awesome, its just like grass only not gay. Its got "dirt" in it, its not astro turf, that **** sucks, field turf kicks ***.

****ing retards

DIESELMAN
11-26-2007, 08:40 PM
Theres a lot of states that play their HS playoffs at a college stadium. Our kids play at Louisville Papa John's stadium. The bottom line is this, its a pro stadium, it should be kept up to certain standards.

TampaSteelGirl
11-26-2007, 08:52 PM
What I want to know is why the hell would they lay that new sod down on the old sod and now it looks like a freaking river out there! Willie can't stay on his feet in dry ground, afraid to see what he's gonna do now. I think the Rooneys can be so damn cheap!

BB2W
11-26-2007, 08:56 PM
What I want to know is why the hell would they lay that new sod down on the old sodI'm a former lawn/grounds guy and I was very suprised to hear that. They had to be praying for no rain... it may have been okay, but is still a questionable decision. :dunno:

They really need to go artificial...

BlitzburghRockCity
11-26-2007, 09:53 PM
the field is a horrific embarrassment tonight, the new sod cannot set right with the torrential downpour they had the last 2 days there coupled with the fact that all the yard lines are totally gone because the paint wouldn't stick to the field and ended up on the bottom end of the tarp.

the players were sinking into the field a good 3 inches atleast !

BB2W
11-26-2007, 10:50 PM
I hate this surface sooo much! :cursin:

BlitzburghRockCity
11-26-2007, 11:18 PM
Have you ever seen a punted ball sink into the turf and stick straight up and down, before tonight??

GoBenGo
11-26-2007, 11:38 PM
:yesnod: :redcool: didn't even need all my cognitive powers on that one.:cabbagepatch:

BlitzburghRockCity
11-26-2007, 11:40 PM
The field was totally unsafe tonight, it's not even a question anymore of how bad it was but tonight was just flat out unsafe for both teams !

TEEMONT
11-27-2007, 09:05 AM
i say **** high school kids, bastards ain't ever gonna do shiat in life anyway lol
Another worthless comment. Way to provide some insight, I say **** college kids from Texas, bastards ain't never gonna do anything with their lives anyways.

The field was totally unsafe tonight, it's not even a question anymore of how bad it was but tonight was just flat out unsafe for both teams !

It was so unsafe as a matter of fact, only two guys got hurt, Ricky Williams and Jesse Chatman. I don't think eithe rof them had anything to do with sod.

Yes it looked like ***, and putting new sod on top of old sod was retarded, but there is nothing wrong with playing on grass, it's the way the game was meant to be played. Everyone used to think astroturf was so great, and more people got hurt on it than grass, now everyone is on field turf's nuts, which is harder to land on than sod. The field may suck for footing, but it sucks equally for both teams, its not like anyone is getting an unfair advantage.

Make Pitt build their own stadium, there is your answer, and split up the WPIAL Championships so they play two games max if there is a Steelers home game.

I don't care if they play at Papa Johns stadium in Kentuckey, this is Western PA, and we play in the Steelers stadium, thats how it was for me, and hopefully if I ever move back, how it will be for my kids.

[AutoMerged Post Below]
Funny enough, Santonio got hurt in the New York game, I think (not sure last night was the first game I have seen live in 3 weeks). What kind of surface do they play on?

BB2W
11-27-2007, 09:26 AM
I like the thought of playing on natural turf, but I don't think it can be done well under these conditions. Grounds crew at Heinz has to be one of the worst jobs in the nation, and I'm not sure the guy in charge knows what he's doing after this move.

If it is natural... there needs to be less games played on it. The weather itself presents a big enough challenge for the guys who maintain the surface. Add all these games and it a recipe for disaster.

If they are gonna plan on playing all these games in this stadium they need to go to Feild Turf.

Friday133
11-27-2007, 12:43 PM
Another worthless comment. Way to provide some insight, I say **** college kids from Texas, bastards ain't never gonna do anything with their lives anyways.

It was so unsafe as a matter of fact, only two guys got hurt, Ricky Williams and Jesse Chatman. I don't think eithe rof them had anything to do with sod.

Yes it looked like ***, and putting new sod on top of old sod was retarded, but there is nothing wrong with playing on grass, it's the way the game was meant to be played. Everyone used to think astroturf was so great, and more people got hurt on it than grass, now everyone is on field turf's nuts, which is harder to land on than sod. The field may suck for footing, but it sucks equally for both teams, its not like anyone is getting an unfair advantage.

Make Pitt build their own stadium, there is your answer, and split up the WPIAL Championships so they play two games max if there is a Steelers home game.

I don't care if they play at Papa Johns stadium in Kentuckey, this is Western PA, and we play in the Steelers stadium, thats how it was for me, and hopefully if I ever move back, how it will be for my kids.

[AutoMerged Post Below]
Funny enough, Santonio got hurt in the New York game, I think (not sure last night was the first game I have seen live in 3 weeks). What kind of surface do they play on?

I really agree with everything said here by Teemont. However PITT isn't going to leave Heinz Field anytime soon, so it looks like the stadium will get FieldTurf for next year.

TampaSteelGirl
11-27-2007, 12:55 PM
I can't believe that they would lay that new sod on the old sod with a 70% chance of rain!! Everyone had to know that it was disaster!!
I like natural grass but last night was just a horrible disaster!!

[AutoMerged Post Below]

Have you ever seen a punted ball sink into the turf and stick straight up and down, before tonight??

hahahahahahaha! so funny! But it once again makes us the joke of the NFL! I hate that!

BlitzburghRockCity
11-27-2007, 01:12 PM

That would be an awesome idea, I'd be all for that. As Friday mentioned though it's not going to happen because Pitt isn't leaving Heinz so field turf, IMO, is the way to go. Natural grass is just not going to cut it anymore and hasn't for years now. Every other team in the northeast has gone to it and so has most of the league. It's safer and better than astro turf and is as much like natural grass as you can get. It's got a cushion to it, is easy to maintain and can withstand the pounding that the western pa teams will put on it.

It's the smart, safe, and economical thing to do IMO. You can never prevent every injury from happening on any surface but we can be fortunate that there weren't more twisted ankles, strained knees, and other injuries that could have occured last night, that didn't happen.