PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Arians not the problem

Friday133
11-20-2007, 03:38 PM
As usual with any loss the yinzer population gets in an uproar over something, this time its Bruce Arians and his play calling. We're 7-3 and Ben Roethlisberger is having his best year as a pro and the majority of people here want the offensive coordinator fired. That makes so much sense, you guys should dust off your resumes and submit them to Mike Tomlin since you all can do a better job.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-20-2007, 04:17 PM
The thing that most of us are questioning is the play calling in this game in particular after we got the 3 point lead. In the past this year when we had a lead we kept attacking until the game was well in hand because we knew teams could come back. The times when we either tied it late or had a small lead late in the game is when you need to go on the offensive and not just sit and take a knee, run a qb sneak, or run your QB your backup RB right into a big pile of defenders.

Personally Im happy with how Ben is playing over all and Im happy at how the WR's and TE's are making plays and you can attribute that to Bruce as much as the players...but when you have critical junctures in games and we seemingly sit on the ball to protect the lead that just doesn't work for me. Our defense is good this year, statistically the best in the NFL but you don't see other elite teams sitting on a 3 point lead late in the game with time left on the clock. There are times when you have to play conservative for various reasons but times like this and in Denver and Arizona we just run plays on offense that make no sense to me.

Could I do it better than Bruce? No because I don't know the playbook like he does but as a fan when I sit back and see us basically get a 3 point lead late in the game and crawl back into our shell that makes me :scratch: You dance with what brought you to this point and that's passing and going on the attack till you get out to a good lead on a team and then run the ball mixed with play action, etc... we didn't have a good lead in this game at the end and we weren't running the ball effectively so at that point you make adjustments to use other options in your playbook.

Just me :2cents:

Ambridge
11-20-2007, 04:24 PM
I've been a critic of Arians offense since Week 1.
http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9223&page=30

Sure Ben is having a very good season and the team is 7-3 but let's face it these guys have beaten only two teams with winning records which is Seattle(6-4) and Cleveland(6-4).....not the stiffest of competition.

Arians offense is fairly predictable and has shown that when challenged by a charging-pressure defense it folds like a house of cards.

I'm not blind to the fact that there have been other issues on the team that have contributed to the losses but Arians and his play calling at times have stuck out like a sore thumb.:redcool:

Koopa
11-20-2007, 04:27 PM
look at the schedule, that's the reason we are 7-3, not cause of his play calling..........arians is a bum

BlitzburghRockCity
11-20-2007, 04:36 PM
We can only play and beat the teams that we are scheduled and having a 3rd place schedule this year has helped us there is no doubt,yet still all the factors including the play calling at crucial times has caused us to lose to teams that we should beat or keep games that should be blowouts, closer than they should be. Sure you're going to have off games and close games here and there but champsionship caliber teams find ways to win those games more often than not. Players are responsible for on the field actions but Bruce is responsible for calling the plays in crucial junctures the calling has been suspect IMO.

Greygrizzly
11-20-2007, 05:39 PM
Arians is a terrible play caller. He is just way to predictable. And that gives defenses an edge.

SteelersfaninPhilly
11-20-2007, 11:05 PM
Tomlin hired a temple reject in arians. enough said.

BlacknGold Bleeder
11-20-2007, 11:39 PM
Tomlin hired a temple reject in arians. enough said.

Worse then that a CLEVELAND reject,:tt02:

Friday133
11-21-2007, 12:08 AM
Wow you guys are tough. I'd hate to think what happens next year if Tomlin gets off to a slow start.

SteelerFan87
11-21-2007, 12:28 AM
What do you expect Friday? Bill Cowher isn't here anymore, so we have to find a new scapegoat. :lol:

Seriously though, Arians has been far from perfect, but he also hasn't been the problem. The Steelers just seem to take weeks off.

Prosdo
11-21-2007, 05:07 AM
My problem was in the Jets game it seemed like Run, Run, Pass.

Greygrizzly
11-21-2007, 09:31 AM
My problem was in the Jets game it seemed like Run, Run, Pass.

If you go back two or three games you will see the same thing. The differance is that the Jets took advantage of what they saw.

black an gold 4 life
11-21-2007, 11:28 AM
ARIANS IS DEFINETLY THE PROBLEM WERE 2 PREDICTABLE,RUN ,RUN PASS IS THE BILL COWARD ERA, I THOUGHT WE HAD AN NEW HEAD COACH? WERE DOING THE SAME THING N THE RED ZONE THAT WE'VE DONE SINCE COWARD WAS HERE WE R DOING THE SAME THING WHEN WE GET AN LEAD, WE REALLY NEED AN OFFENSE LIKE THE CLOWNS I HATE 2 SAY THAT BUT IT'S TRUE ARIANS SUCKS!!!!!!

steelcitysfinestXL
11-21-2007, 12:11 PM
My only hope is that Tomlin and Arians have something up their sleeve for the postseason (highly unlikely) Maybe they have the 4 wide, the hurry up "o", and three tight end stuff we heard about all summer just waiting in the wings. I mean it kinda makes sense... if mike and bruce woulda came in and employed a pass first style O and we had a 6-10 record like we did when "tommy-gun" took over, the Tomlin era woulda been in jeopardy already!!! If you look at what has made our teams succcessful in the last 4 seasons, this years team isnt much different!!! I really hope/think Mike and Bruce are trying to instill that sense of toughness in our O that Pittsburgh is used to... with a strong foundation and a solid running game the sky is the limit for this offense. If we come out and pass pass, punt/int/ sack fumble... are we really that much better off!?!? I agree the play calling has be assinine since the bye, not just the run,run,pass,punt stuff but the fact that we never seem to run short passing patterns that arent some sort of F*CKED up screen!!!! I wanna see more pro-form with kreider to start and mix in Davis when you wanna pass. Our oline is not lacking in talent and i expect good things from them in the near future(please god)!!!! the fact is we are 7-3 with a good chance of going to NE at 9-3. 12-4 is still the least i would take before calling this season a failure!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
11-21-2007, 12:53 PM
If you look at our stats in the red zone we're converting at a better ratio than we have in years, nearly every time we get in there we're scoring. We do have some issues of bogging down in the redzone the last 2 games that's for sure but for the season we're doing much better.

We need to get back to using Spaeth and Heath both in the redzone more because will begin keying on the obvious weapons so we need to keep them on their toes.

BlacknGold Bleeder
11-21-2007, 11:38 PM
I also agree that Arains is a problem but not the whole problem. he is only a coach, the players must still preform, and they haven't been. I doubt we will be seeing the 4 wide that was the talk of training camp, especially now that Holmes its out, we are just to shallow at WR now. I don't see why the hurry up shouldn't be utilized more, they could trap the defense they want on the field tire them out then exploit them !! It is amazing all the talk of training camp was the "new" offense , but it looks pretty much the same to me.

Iron City South
11-21-2007, 11:41 PM
I've been a critic of Arians offense since Week 1.
http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9223&page=30

Sure Ben is having a very good season and the team is 7-3 but let's face it these guys have beaten only two teams with winning records which is Seattle(6-4) and Cleveland(6-4).....not the stiffest of competition.

Arians offense is fairly predictable and has shown that when challenged by a charging-pressure defense it folds like a house of cards.

I'm not blind to the fact that there have been other issues on the team that have contributed to the losses but Arians and his play calling at times have stuck out like a sore thumb.:redcool:

I think Ambridge summed it up quite nicely. Ben Roth is having a good year in spite of Bruce Arians, not because of him. Arians has been predictable and unimaginative in every job he's ever had .... that's his knock.

BlacknGold Bleeder
11-21-2007, 11:51 PM
I think Ambridge summed it up quite nicely. Ben Roth is having a good year in spite of Bruce Arians,

He is showing what a great athlete he is!! Imagine what he could do with some imagination in the play calling....:tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
11-22-2007, 01:03 AM
He is showing what a great athlete he is!! Imagine what he could do with some imagination in the play calling....:tt02:

Imagine what he could do if he actually had an offensive line !

portcityblackandgold
11-22-2007, 07:46 AM
I sure hope we will see more imaginative play calling. I hope theres a strategy involving not revealing too much of the playbook too early. In Arians defense the Jets were coming off a bye week so their preparation and game planning was focused. All four teams that played out of the bye week won.

Stairwayto7
11-22-2007, 08:00 AM
Arians sucks. Ben is finding the open receiver most of the time after thier routes have been ran. Our Wr are smart enough to comeback to help Ben out. Our Cowher like playing calling is out of control. Ben is having his beast year ever, you are correct. So why wouldn`t Arians take advantage of that, and ram the ball down the jets throats? So Ben is having a great year, so on thrd down keep running the ball against the jets? Especially when Willie was struggling.

Whodat
11-22-2007, 09:33 AM
I think we are all being a little critical here. The fact is that we were an 8-8 team this year. Who would have thought we would be in control of our division at this time? The game plan against Denver was HORRIBLE!

The fact is the Steelers are missing too many tackles, dropping passes and not blocking. I think these things make for too many "critical plays". This team just need to get better.

I agree with a little that is being said about the team "lacking fire". On ESPN radio Jason Smith (who is a hge Jets fan) said the Steelers should be embarrassed by the way the played at the Meadowlands. He noted that the Jets QB went to the silent count because of the noise by Steeler fans.

Will a player step up?

Stairwayto7
11-22-2007, 09:55 AM
I think we are all being a little critical here. The fact is that we were an 8-8 team this year. Who would have thought we would be in control of our division at this time? The game plan against Denver was HORRIBLE!

The fact is the Steelers are missing too many tackles, dropping passes and not blocking. I think these things make for too many "critical plays". This team just need to get better.

I agree with a little that is being said about the team "lacking fire". On ESPN radio Jason Smith (who is a hge Jets fan) said the Steelers should be embarrassed by the way the played at the Meadowlands. He noted that the Jets QB went to the silent count because of the noise by Steeler fans.

Will a player step up?

I disagree! We may have been a 8-8 preseason team. But with Bens play and the way the AFCN is playing, that should be six wins there alone. We have the talent in key positions to be 12-4 . But our O-line sucks. And consevative play calling has to go. I think Tomlin is non-conservative. He will not put up with Arians crap, much longer

Greygrizzly
11-22-2007, 11:38 AM
I disagree! We may have been a 8-8 preseason team. But with Bens play and the way the AFCN is playing, that should be six wins there alone. We have the talent in key positions to be 12-4 . But our O-line sucks. And consevative play calling has to go. I think Tomlin is non-conservative. He will not put up with Arians crap, much longer

I hope you are right. Because if this isn't fixed and fixed soon every team we play will take advatage of it. Now we will see what kind of head coach we have. Will he pull a Bill Cowher and now fix any thing or will he get right on this.