PDA

View Full Version : Ward: Bound to have a bad game

BlitzburghRockCity
11-20-2007, 01:19 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07324/835346-66.stm

Tuesday, November 20, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Either Sunday was just one of those days for the Steelers, or they're in big trouble.

"Over the course of 16 games, you're bound to have one bad game," is how Hines Ward put it.

Yet it's one thing to lose in Arizona or Denver by one score, or to escape a scare at home to Cleveland. It's something else to get outhit, outrun, outsacked, outfooled and ultimately outscored by one of the NFL's losingest teams as they did on Sunday at Giants Stadium.

Monday had to be a big, bad News day for coach Mike Tomlin, who likes to present the facts to his players after watching video of their game the previous day. That video should be popular viewing also for their upcoming opponents because not only were the Jets the first team to run substantially on the Steelers in two years, they halted the NFL's No. 2 run offense and harassed the NFL's second-leading passer.

"You win together, you stink it up together," was how Tomlin put it Sunday.

No team has stunk it up more than the winless Miami Dolphins this season but when they play the Steelers Monday night in Heinz Field, they might have a glimmer of hope.

Ricky Williams, who led the NFL in rushing in 2002, could play in the NFL for the first time in two years Monday night after commissioner Roger Goodell reinstated him. Williams certainly has fresh legs -- he has not played in the NFL since 2005 and his brief turn in the Canadian League ended with a fractured forearm in 2006.

If Thomas Jones of the Jets was capable of rushing for 117 yards and thus becoming the first back to top 100 against the Steelers in 35 games, Williams at least has the resume to do so.

A few of Jones' runs came when the Steelers had their passing defenses on the field, but most of his yards were the old-fashioned way against their No. 1 rush defense.

"If we're going to be in dime and stuff, I'm sure teams are going to see this," defensive end Brett Keisel said. "So I'm sure we'll see it again. Teams know how to copy in this league. I'm sure we'll see many more runs now."

Their streak of not allowing a 100-yard runner in 34 consecutive games was a badge of honor for the Steelers' defense, although still short of Baltimore's 50-game streak from 1998-2001. The Philadelphia Eagles' streak of 53 games without allowing a 100-yard rusher from 1989-1992 is the longest since the NFL merger in 1970.

Only one runner gained 100 yards against the Steelers (Edgerrin James in 2005) in their previous 59 games before Jones broke through Sunday.

"I'm disappointed that got broke but we need to forget about it and move on," Keisel said. "It was something we prided ourselves on up front -- not just up front but the whole team. We consider ourselves a team defense where we have 11 guys coming to the ball, wherever the ball is."

Often on Sunday, it was racing past them in the form of Jones, bursting through arm tackles.

"I know a lot of guys -- speaking for myself -- missed tackles that allowed him to get extra yards that we're not used to allowing running backs to get," cornerback Deshea Townsend said.

And even Joey Porter might be licking his chops after watching the Jets sack Ben Roethlisberger seven times Sunday. He has been sacked 30 times this season, on pace for 48 sacks or even more than last season's head-popping 46 -- the most of a Steelers quarterback since Cliff Stoudt was sacked 52 times in 1983.

"Sacks always sit on our shoulders as offensive linemen but there are a lot of things that go into sacks," guard Alan Faneca said. "It's not all of us, but some of it is us. We'll carry that burden.

"No matter what, you look at it and we probably should have given him more time."

Roethlisberger, though, attributed some to "coverage sacks," which is a nice way to say there were no open receivers.

As Tomlin said, they could not run, could not protect the quarterback and could not stop the run. If it goes deeper than being just one of those days for his Steelers, there will be more of them.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-20-2007, 01:22 AM
It seems as though the team is writing this off as just a bad game and moving on. I don't know if that's the right attitude to have or not personally. Obviously you cant dwell on it and let it take in a downward spiral but I sure as hell hope they are looking at this and realizing how bad they played and how much more work they need to do to be an elite team.

This statement by Faneca strikes me as odd..

"Sacks always sit on our shoulders as offensive linemen but there are a lot of things that go into sacks," guard Alan Faneca said. "It's not all of us, but some of it is us. We'll carry that burden.

"No matter what, you look at it and we probably should have given him more time."

PROBABLY?? there's no probably about it Alan, the front 5 of this team doesn't dominate anybody and if all Ben need is "probably" more time then good grief is this team in for a rude awakening the last 6 games of the season because probably doesn't seem to cut it if you ask me.

SteelerFan87
11-20-2007, 11:11 AM
We definitely need to use this game as a wakeup call, and step it up the rest of the year. No more taking teams lightly, no more half *** effort, no more lazy tackling, or bad blocking, or receivers not getting open. We need to play like a team on a mission, rather than a team that just expects to show up and have wins handed to them.

AZ_Steeler
11-20-2007, 11:35 AM
Bad games are going to happen... hopefully the Pats bad game falls on Dec 9th :D... when they do happen though it's important to see how the team responds. So far this season after a loss the Steelers have looked good the following week. After the loss to the Cardinals the Steelers came back and completely dominated the Seahawks and shut them out at home. Then after Denver they went to Cincinnati and beat the Bengals on their own field. Based on their track record this season the Steelers should annihilate the Dolphins. However, if the Dolphins can hang around in this game then I think the Steelers really have an issue!

GoBenGo
11-20-2007, 12:24 PM
It seems as though the team is writing this off as just a bad game and moving on. I don't know if that's the right attitude to have or not personally. Obviously you cant dwell on it and let it take in a downward spiral but I sure as hell hope they are looking at this and realizing how bad they played and how much more work they need to do to be an elite team.

This statement by Faneca strikes me as odd..

PROBABLY?? there's no probably about it Alan, the front 5 of this team doesn't dominate anybody and if all Ben need is "probably" more time then good grief is this team in for a rude awakening the last 6 games of the season because probably doesn't seem to cut it if you ask me.
Right on Top! No sheet Faneca, probably if you gave him more time, we would probably score more points, and probably win the game.Probably:wtf:
And he gives a probably for this game. WHAT ABOUT THE OTHERS? Is it just me( and Top too , per his post) but should probably even be in their vocabulary.I don't think Lambert, Mean Joe, Dermonti ever said Probably.Oh, How are they going to stop Porter :dunno:, who will be at another level for this game?:yesnod: Mahan played like a turnstilehttp://i4.tinypic.com/86649vn.jpg
Now the D. I don't put a lot of stock in Hempy Williams:smoking:. But after what Jones did it does not seem that it takes a high value back to run on us. Yeah, we have a highly rated run defense, but I think it is skewed. Nobody runs on us as a gameplan, those that have , have had some success. No 100 yrd rushers for so long is great, but when a couple of backs on the other team have 80 and 70 each it does damage.
Odd that special teams were not addressed, since they were totally undressed Sunday.
We better beat the Dolphins.

black an gold 4 life
11-20-2007, 02:04 PM
IT IS WHAT IT IS COME ON NOW TIME 2 MOVE ON AN TAKE IT OUT ON SOME DOLPHINS!!!!!!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
11-20-2007, 02:35 PM
If we lose this game I'm going to make that turnstyle my avatar and just put rotating numbers of all the offensive lineman on it. ;)

gobengo is right, there should never be a probably in any NFL teams vocabulary. Either you are prepared or you're not, you're blocking or you're not, you're tackling or you're not, it's as simple as that.

Greygrizzly
11-20-2007, 04:42 PM
Now we will finally get to see what kind of head coach we have. Will he be able to make the adjustments necessary by next Monday night, or will he be another Bill cowher and it will take him weeks to fix the problems.