PDA

View Full Version : Let's face reality

Stlrs4Life
11-18-2007, 07:56 PM
We are not an elite team. We are just an average football team right now.

Our OL has been in decline for a long time now, and our running game has been non existant in the past 3 games. Imagine how much better Ben would be with a better OL. He would basically be Tom Brady.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-18-2007, 07:59 PM
At this point we are a deceptive 7-3. We lose our 3 games to teams that as of right now have a combined 11 wins between all 3 of them. Our defense is the best in the league yet they have stupid penalites and allow teams like Denver and NY to drive right down the field at the end of the game to blow it.

Our OL is terrible yet somehow we still have Willie making 100 yd games on a regular basis but even that went to **** today. If the OL doesn't get fixed we're going to have a quick end to this season in January assuming we even make it there at all.

BlackGold4vr
11-18-2007, 08:04 PM
I agree with you 100%. The Jets D-line just matched their season output for sacks and they aint that good! A team of rookies could not have played any worse than that. They can't hold their blocks more than a second when they pass block and run blocking is a joke. Half the time a defender is in our backfield disrupting the play or wrapping up our runner behind the line. There are tons of rookie O-lineman who are starting and playing better than ours are playing. You are right, we are not an elite team and that will show when we play the Patriots. It aint gonna be pretty. Hell, im concerned about the Dolphins! We may just ruin their perfect record.

SteelersGirlTN7
11-18-2007, 08:11 PM
They made Kellen Clemens look like Tom Brady out there - with all the time, and the lack of sacks!! He ripped us apart. I'd hate to see what the real Tom Brady will do!!

Uggh!!

dick rasile
11-18-2007, 08:20 PM
In all sports it never fails that when you play with ****, you come away smelling.
But really didn't we know this when we set up the team we were going with.
I look at it this way, if the Steeler brass doesn't take the films of this game and figure out just how a team that ranks near or at the bottom of every important stat held in the NFL and improve it before next week then they will be in big trouble the rest of the year.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with you 100%. The Jets D-line just matched their season output for sacks and they aint that good! A team of rookies could not have played any worse than that. They can't hold their blocks more than a second when they pass block and run blocking is a joke. Half the time a defender is in our backfield disrupting the play or wrapping up our runner behind the line. There are tons of rookie O-lineman who are starting and playing better than ours are playing. You are right, we are not an elite team and that will show when we play the Patriots. It aint gonna be pretty. Hell, im concerned about the Dolphins! We may just ruin their perfect record.

Half way through the season and if we play at this pace the win loss record will be flipped.

Irish Jet
11-18-2007, 09:01 PM
They made Kellen Clemens look like Tom Brady out there - with all the time, and the lack of sacks!! He ripped us apart. I'd hate to see what the real Tom Brady will do!!

Uggh!!

LOL, Clemens didn't look that good at all. Look guys we were coming off of a bye and we tried a lot of new things and a lot of new looks. We're better than our record indicates. I really believe that had we have tried some of the stuff we done today. (D-Rob at End, Ellis at LB) that we could have a totally different record right now.

Mike Tomlin
11-18-2007, 09:05 PM
I look at it like this Denver and Ny both had bye weeks to prepare for us and both teams barely beat us. It's hard to get up for a team that's 1-8 and your 7-2.
Plus with us there is always a special team mishap involved somewhere, it never fails.
When you give an nfl teams 2 weeks to prepare for you it's going to be a good game.

SteelersfaninPhilly
11-18-2007, 09:52 PM
Every season is a roller coaster. All teams have there peaks and valleys. I'm sure tomlin, had a few choice words for the players today in the locker room after the game. The steelers will rebound from this. But if we come out flat against a winless miami team and struggle....

BlitzburghNation
11-18-2007, 09:52 PM
Pretty simple,,,,,,,,,,,, If our o-line doesn't improve,we are not going anywhere in the playoffs !

Big Ben has been running for his life ,,,,,, all season long :cursin:

Let's just hope they get there act together,,,,before it's too late,,,, :crossfingers:

BlitzburghRockCity
11-18-2007, 09:57 PM
LOL, Clemens didn't look that good at all. Look guys we were coming off of a bye and we tried a lot of new things and a lot of new looks. We're better than our record indicates. I really believe that had we have tried some of the stuff we done today. (D-Rob at End, Ellis at LB) that we could have a totally different record right now.

Credit your defense for getting after Ben and our OL for not being able to stop you. Your DB's took our WR's out because the pass rush was able to get to Ben and our guys either didn't have time to get open or just couldn't consistently.

Every season is a roller coaster. All teams have there peaks and valleys. I'm sure tomlin, had a few choice words for the players today in the locker room after the game. The steelers will rebound from this. But if we come out flat against a winless miami team and struggle....

Im telling ya man,we can just never make things easy on ourselves can we? We lose to teams we shouldn't, let sub par teams stay in the game longer than they should, one week we're up then we suck, then we're up for a few weeks then we suck. Im all for stopping this damn roller coaster and actually doing what we're capable of doing.

Troyisabeast_43
11-18-2007, 10:11 PM
Yes very true the bye weeks both of those teams had did come back to screw us and both definitely played over their heads when they played the Steelers speaking of Denver and the Jets. But you still cant use the bye week as an excuse for losing to the Jets. All of the stats favored the Steelers to win this game today, and the lack of discipline with all the penalties,and the horrific playcalling at the end of the game and the whole game combined with putrid offensive line play was the reason the Steelers lost this game. I still think this Steelers team is solid and in the end they will win the division, but right now its looking as if this team will win one playoff game at home here, then go on the road to either Indy or New England and probably lose. This Steelers team after watching them choke another one on the road away again today just doesnot have what it takes at this point to beat the Patriots the way things look now.

Koopa
11-18-2007, 10:22 PM
We are not an elite team. We are just an average football team right now.

Our OL has been in decline for a long time now, and our running game has been non existant in the past 3 games. Imagine how much better Ben would be with a better OL. He would basically be Tom Brady.

that's pretty much what i've been saying all season, and that's why i refuse to think about a playoff run, cause our oline is pretty bad, and it makes everyone look awful

and that's why i got to give ben props for this season stat wise, he has 23 tds and only 8 ints, and that's all him, our oline is doing nothing for him this year, half the time he's running for his life..........sure he has went retarded on some throws but with the oline he has it's kind of understandable

our first three rounds in the draft have to go on a center, a guard, and a tackle.........of course we shouldn't reach for a player of those positions, but we really got to get some good players there........... mahan is the worse player on the line

dick rasile
11-18-2007, 10:48 PM
What happened to the telecast of the game. Earlier last week I read that it was moved to the second game and I'll be damned if I could find it.
Maybe I was better off not watching the farce on TV, at least I won't have to hear the guys at the office kidding me about the poor performance of the mighty Steelers. Maybe with all the Browns fans around here they'll be so high on beating the Ravens that they were to high to notice the Steelers bring shame to the team.

black an gold 4 life
11-18-2007, 11:40 PM
man this sucks,we lost 2 an 1-8 team W T F?

Troyisabeast_43
11-19-2007, 12:57 AM
I agree TG just when it seems like were about to take control of not only the division but the bye week over Indy as well here the Steelers screw it up and give it right back. The bottom line is though Im gonna still look at the positives here and say this team is still in first place at 7-3 and virtually 2 games up on the Browns instead of 1 due to the head to head meetings and defeating the Browns in both. The Steelers play 3 of their next 4 games at home where they definitely do play better and have an excellent shot to win all 3 games, and their in good position at the very least to be the number 3 seed in the playoffs still which still means they will not see the Pats till the AFC Championship game. I still think the Colts can lose a few more games. They struggled today and barely got by the Chiefs so being only one game behind them the Steelers just need to take care of business fight off the Browns another few more weeks, and then focus on that number 2 seed in the playoffs. Definitely a devistating loss today its crushing and its going to hurt for awhile,but still 6 games to go here and the Steelers need to move on and focus on getting a win next week here against Miami, and the following week against the Bengals to get them to 9-3. That should put them in great shape to win the division by then and still be in position to get that first round bye over the Colts.

Prosdo
11-19-2007, 01:15 AM
The O-line is just freaking pathetic!

Prosdo
11-19-2007, 01:16 AM
our first three rounds in the draft have to go on a center, a guard, and a tackle.........of course we shouldn't reach for a player of those positions, but we really got to get some good players there........... mahan is the worse player on the line

They definitely need to address the O-line in the draft and FA.

Gr8N8
11-19-2007, 01:23 AM
7-3 is definitely nothing to scoff at. "Any given Sunday" things happen. It's not as much how you lose, it's about getting back to hittin' at practice, watching tape, and getting back on the field next week.

Nothing wrong with a sense of reality, on both sides of the coin. Not great, but not terrible. I'd be thrilled with a 7-3 at this point. :lol:

Ambridge
11-19-2007, 05:34 AM
Our OL is terrible yet somehow we still have Willie making 100 yd games on a regular basis but even that went to shiat today. If the OL doesn't get fixed we're going to have a quick end to this season in January assuming we even make it there at all.

Willie Parker getting his 100yd games is a very Deceptive stat this season.
A lot of his yardage came about after the Steelers were fortunate enough to get a lead and he was able to salt away the game with a few nice runs.
There were a few games where he got a lot of "Garbage Yards" on drives that led to no FG's or TD's.

Not ONE TIME this season can I remember the Steelers taking the ball on a drive and running it down the throat of the opposing defense.
The offensive line isn't physical enough or talented enough to do it.

LatrobePA
11-19-2007, 07:39 AM
This team is doomed!

Out coached big time yesterday, out prepared, and just man handled!

The idea we are in the same group as the pats/ colts, PLEASE!!

BlitzburghRockCity
11-19-2007, 08:21 AM
7-3 is definitely nothing to scoff at. "Any given Sunday" things happen. It's not as much how you lose, it's about getting back to hittin' at practice, watching tape, and getting back on the field next week.

Nothing wrong with a sense of reality, on both sides of the coin. Not great, but not terrible. I'd be thrilled with a 7-3 at this point. :lol:

Yeah but the sense of reality is that we lose to teams we shouldn't every year...LOL. We can usually hold our own win orlose, in the games that labeled as "tough" or "competitive" games but on those games that good teams win no matter what we seem to stumble atleast a few times every year.

Willie Parker getting his 100yd games a very Deceptive stat this season.
A lot of his yardage came about after the Steelers were fortunate enough to get a lead and he was able to salt away the game with a few nice runs.
There were a few games where he got a lot of "Garbage Yards" on drives that led to no FG's or TD's.

Not ONE TIME this season can I remember the Steelers taking the ball on a drive and running it down the throat of the opposing defense.
The offensive line isn't physical enough or talented enough to do it.

It's a sad day in the Steeler Nation when we sit here and say how bad our offensive line is, a unit that up until this year is perennially is one of the top 5 in the league.

DIESELMAN
11-19-2007, 09:03 AM
Our guys need to quit watching ESPN, the false hype that Chris Bermann and crew say about us every week is getting in their heads. WE ARE NOT CAPABLE OF PLAYING WITH THE PATSIES!!!!! I always have faith and confidence in the Steelers but after what I saw yesterday, theres no way we make it past the 1st rd of the playoffs, if we make the playoffs. I give a lot of credit to Mangini and the Jets, its not all our OL's fault we lost, its also coaching that won the game for them. Having 2 weeks to prep for a team is a bonus but that has nothing to do with how we prepare for the next game, I don't care if we have 1 day or 2 weeks to prepare for a game, the coaching staff has to do everything they possibly can to give our guys the best chance to win. The last time I checked there'still 24 hours in a day, so what is our coaching staff doing? working 8-5?

LarryNJ
11-19-2007, 09:05 AM
It's a sad day in the Steeler Nation when we sit here and say how bad our offensive line is, a unit that up until this year is perennially is one of the top 5 in the league.

They were terrible last year too.

I didn't see yesterdays game but I noticed that Jones had over 100 rushing yards. :dunno: Did we forget how to tackle or was the D-front getting manhandled?

BlitzburghRockCity
11-19-2007, 09:09 AM
Correct, I should have said up until the 2006 season, my bad.

The front seven was getting some pressure on the QB and forcing him to move around in the pocket but yes we just flat out forgot how to tackle. Most of his yards gained were after the initial wave of contact broke contain and let him through by trying to arm tackle or just flat out over pursuing. Troy missed a bunch of opportunities yesterday to make plays for us too which was disappointing to see.

GoBenGo
11-19-2007, 10:20 AM
Credit your defense for getting after Ben and our OL for not being able to stop you. Your DB's took our WR's out because the pass rush was able to get to Ben and our guys either didn't have time to get open or just couldn't consistently.

Im telling ya man,we can just never make things easy on ourselves can we? We lose to teams we shouldn't, let sub par teams stay in the game longer than they should, one week we're up then we suck, then we're up for a few weeks then we suck. Im all for stopping this damn roller coaster and actually doing what we're capable of doing.
I feel the same way , Top. I cannot understand how we can look like this against a team like that. I want to believe we are an elite team but reality sucks. Recievers were open on the first reads , but Ben was running for his life, dodging linemen. Willie has had some 100 yard games this year, but he has benefitted from one 30-40 yard run each game. Yards he got on his own.
Mahan looked like a swinging gate!:cursin:
At least Najeh had a good game.
And what the hell was the punt team thinking?:banging:
I don't even want to think of 0-11 Miami game right now.

Stairwayto7
11-19-2007, 10:49 AM
I am just hoping that Ben can stay healthy with our o-line play. When given time he has been making great desicions. But all these beatings will take there toll

K Train
11-19-2007, 10:53 AM
This team is doomed!

out coached...not really, manhandled....hardly

as a general rule when we lose its cause we ****ed ourselves, special teams ended up losing the game, but those retarded girl scouts of an oline make me cringe

BlitzburghRockCity
11-19-2007, 11:08 AM
Holmes going down with the injury didn't help either because Nate doesn't scare any DB so they just doubled up on Hines and Heath. We could have used Spaeth more I think to help offset the loss but still Ben was under pressure and on his back way too often to make any passing game effective.

The Jets were the tougher team today on defense vs our offense. They confused our line and generally just seem to hit harder than our offense could handle. Our defense did their job except in the last moments of the game by stopping the Jets twice on 4th downs in the 4th quarter only to see our offense go 3 and out. Now granted the D gave up some big plays in the first half but they adjusted mid 2nd quarter and began to shut the Jets offense down the same as they did against the Browns but make no mistake about it we had the Jets pinned at their own 10 or 15 with 2 minutes to go and let them march down the field and you just cannot have that.

TampaSteelGirl
11-19-2007, 11:56 AM
Yes very true the bye weeks both of those teams had did come back to screw us and both definitely played over their heads when they played the Steelers speaking of Denver and the Jets. But you still cant use the bye week as an excuse for losing to the Jets. All of the stats favored the Steelers to win this game today, and the lack of discipline with all the penalties,and the horrific playcalling at the end of the game and the whole game combined with putrid offensive line play was the reason the Steelers lost this game. I still think this Steelers team is solid and in the end they will win the division, but right now its looking as if this team will win one playoff game at home here, then go on the road to either Indy or New England and probably lose. This Steelers team after watching them choke another one on the road away again today just doesnot have what it takes at this point to beat the Patriots the way things look now.

Oh man I totally agree here! This has been embarrassing! The penalities killed us over and over again! Stupid penalities! I"m so sick of the showboating ball spinning, taunting and other stupid penaltities! I"m not trying to sound like a fairweather fan but this is just horrifying! We are hyped up as one of the elite teams or at least soon to be elite teams but i'm not seeing this each week! Our O line and special teams is killing us! Ben is constantly scrambling for his life and it's a good thing he is a big guy that can get away from these guys or we'd be in bigger trouble! Willie Parker is frustrating me! I don't know why the hell they run that guy into a pack of guys when he's a small running back! Our O line isn't opening up holes for him and it's apparent so why aren't they figuring out an alternative route for him!! And I"m sick of Hines smiling after every drop he has!! Next year i'm getting a Heath Jersey! he's so down to earth and he's great! Fame seems to have gone to Hines's head!
I can't believe we are even 7-3 with the way we played last night! :cursin:

NOVA STEELERS
11-19-2007, 12:50 PM
:ditto: What she said........ I wasn't able to catch the game, but from what I have read and the low lights I did see makes for a pretty miserable day :dunno:

TampaSteelGirl
11-19-2007, 01:08 PM
I do have to say Props to the Jets because they looked like a team that wanted to win! I think the press and sportcasters have made us way too cocky!!! We need to come back to earth and start playing so serious Steeler football!!!!! :helmet:

memphissteelergirl
11-19-2007, 02:26 PM
This team is doomed!

Uh, OK...I will be the first to admit that the Steelers flat-out STUNK yesterday but I would hardly say we're "doomed."

We can still win the division (and I think we will), but we gotta make some major adjustments ASAP!

My suggestions/concerns:

Get a 2-man backfield. Willie cannot be a one-man show with the run game (esp. not the way he's been playing lately).

WTF is up with all the dad-gum MISSED TACKLES on defense. There were too many white jersey flying all over the place and none of them bringing anybody down!

Special Teams was a joke! J-Reed and D-Sep's kicking was awful. Their kickoffs and punts weren't anywhere near where they were at the beginning of the season. And return coverage was terrible.

OK...my little tirade is over :cursin:
The Steelers can and should make the statement Mon. night that they can win big against the teams they're supposed to beat. This is the last I am gonna comment on this fiasco. Time to move on...we have other games to win.

Rant over...the end
That is all.

Stlrs4Life
11-19-2007, 07:49 PM
As soon as I seen /willie back there by himself, i reminded myself how much I miss Kreider.

TampaSteelGirl
11-19-2007, 09:37 PM
Right now Willie can't get thru a wet paper bag!!! :lol: Come on O-Line!!!