PDA

View Full Version : Alright, let's find the positives

BlitzburghRockCity
09-19-2006, 01:16 AM
Im still so pissed off about this loss it's not even funny but if I don't try and find some positives going into next week I'll never sleep this week.

* We always respond well to pressure, and this week the pressure it's on, its our first divisional game and we gotta have a win

* ST coverage units played 100% better tonight

* Defense only gave up 3 FG's, they kept us in the game even though they were on the field all night long

* Ben got his first game of the season under his belt and hopefully got all the rust out of his system. He's got 6 more days to heal up more and get back to his old self

Koopa
09-19-2006, 01:17 AM
my only positive is the special teams.....now all we got to do is activate willie reid and we'll be set

BlitzburghRockCity
09-19-2006, 01:21 AM
The problem with Reid is its a numbers game, there just isn't enough roster spots to activate him right now.

Hines
Cedric
Nate
Santonio
Morey on ST

All have to play every week.

Koopa
09-19-2006, 01:22 AM
take out dookie, not like cowher is gonna allow him to touch the ball

BlitzburghRockCity
09-19-2006, 01:24 AM
You know BC he won't do it. It's gonna take an injury or really bad play by another WR before he'll activate Reid anytime soon.

House of Steel
09-19-2006, 01:25 AM
Good points, Matt and Koop. I am just hoping we get our gameplan in gear for Sunday. The fans will get us all pumped up and fired up.

Koopa
09-19-2006, 01:27 AM
is next week game on national tv??

BlitzburghRockCity
09-19-2006, 01:29 AM
1pm on CBS, so it's a normal week in terms of where you're located vs what game you'll see.

Koopa
09-19-2006, 01:35 AM
damn, probably texans and redskins....hopefully that'll be on fox like the eagles vs texans so i can see the steelers

and another positive is nate washington....now i think he will be starting over wilson soon...he is catching just about everything that comes his way

BlitzburghRockCity
09-19-2006, 01:46 AM
I agree...Cedric isn't making the most of his opportunities like Nate is. I think it will take several more weeks of it though before BC would make that change.

SteelerFan87
09-19-2006, 01:50 AM
Positives? Lets see:

1. Defense played very well and limited the Jags to field goals on drives that probably should have ended with Jacksonville touchdowns.

2. Cedrick Wilson finally caught a damn pass.

3. I started Chad Pennington instead of Roethlisberger on my fantasy team this week.

Koopa
09-19-2006, 01:58 AM
Positives? Lets see:

1. Defense played very well and limited the Jags to field goals on drives that probably should have ended with Jacksonville touchdowns.

yeah they did do good, just felt bad for them with giant wr's and being out on the field so much

2. Cedrick Wilson finally caught a damn pass.

:hilarious:

3. I started Chad Pennington instead of Roethlisberger on my fantasy team this week.

:bluelol: why do you have ben anyway:dunno: :dunno: he's not a real fantasy type of qb

SteelerFan87
09-19-2006, 02:09 AM
Well I wasn't there for the draft, so I ended up with Ben, Brooks, and Kitna as my QBs. I just got Pennington off waivers, and wasn't sure if Ben would play, so I went with Pennington, and I sure am glad I did.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-19-2006, 02:17 AM
I wouldn't start Ben the majority of the time, he won't get you alot of points. If he has 200-250 yds passing and a couple TD's thats a great day.

AZ_Steeler
09-19-2006, 02:37 AM
I believe the game is national because it's going to be seen here in Tucson!

The positives:

Special Teams (punt coverage) was a completely differnet team than last week.
Defense did the best they could given the amount of time they spent on the field.
Ben had a bad game. will be on the war path next week!!!

Cowher definitely didn't bring his best gameplan today. They started to run the hurry up but it was already to late, Jacksonville had sucked up all the energy in the stadium and had the Steelers number. They didn't do any of the razzle dazzle plays, it's not the best way to win a game but it does force the defense to stay honest.

SteelersWoman
09-19-2006, 04:22 AM
* We always respond well to pressure, and this week the pressure it's on, its our first divisional game and we gotta have a win

* ST coverage units played 100% better tonight

* Defense only gave up 3 FG's, they kept us in the game even though they were on the field all night long

* Ben got his first game of the season under his belt and hopefully got all the rust out of his system. He's got 6 more days to heal up more and get back to his old self
:iagree: !

*True
*VERY true ;)
*and he better lol

suitanim
09-19-2006, 09:58 AM
Defense! If the D plays like that all year, we'll be fine...the offense will get back on track.

By the way, I've seen far worse starts to a season than this before. In 1988 we lost the first game 51-0, the second game 41-10, and we ended up 2 points away from the AFCG.

The point is, week two has no bearing on how this season is going to turn out.

House of Steel
09-19-2006, 10:43 AM
I think I will get the Pittsburgh game cause Cleveland plays at 4 15 I believe. YEAH!! Unless the damn station here decides not to televise it cause they are Browns fans. I hate that crap.

Prosdo
09-19-2006, 12:40 PM
There weren't many positives, but I would say the defense played tough and special teams definitely stepped it up. There is still a lot of football left to play so don't lose hope now lol.

SteelerFan87
09-19-2006, 01:01 PM
Yeah the defense played very well, and that was practically without Troy Polamalu, who's injury really seemed to be affecting his play. Play that game with a healthy Troy, and it could be a whole different story. An interception on that 1 Jags drive that started inside their 20 could have been the game.

Hburg
09-19-2006, 03:50 PM
You know BC he won't do it. It's gonna take an injury or really bad play by another WR before he'll activate Reid anytime soon.

I saw Santonio makin dumbass moves all night! Pull him and put Reid in!

Positive: Nate Washington is continuin in what I think is goin to be his break out year.

BuFu

BlitzburghRockCity
09-19-2006, 03:52 PM
Santonio is given the nod because he's a #1 draft pick, he's gonna have to continue stinking up the joint on ST before they pull him in favor of Reid.

Problem is, how long do we have to wait and continue to lose field position before something has to happen.

Another note, Holmes is making good progress as a WR so its a catch22. If you pull him, you lose him as a WR.

Hburg
09-19-2006, 04:03 PM
Santonio is given the nod because he's a #1 draft pick, he's gonna have to continue stinking up the joint on ST before they pull him in favor of Reid.

Problem is, how long do we have to wait and continue to lose field position before something has to happen.

Another note, Holmes is making good progress as a WR so its a catch22. If you pull him, you lose him as a WR.

I saw Holmes' "progress" last night as a WR. After that performance I would pull him and make Reid a receiver. At this point I think Reid could do a better job in both positions than Santonio. Since becomin a 1st round draft pick he has done nothin that has positively contributed to the team. He has at this point fallen out of favor with me and has lost my trust as a player. Until he starts showin vast improvement I ain't gonna be supportin him and defendin him like I have all off-season. At this point I wonder what it would have been like to get a power RB first round....I think that might have helped more.

BuFu

BlitzburghRockCity
09-19-2006, 04:06 PM
Im not saying I disagree with you, I just think the way the NFL is when you have a #1 draft you have to give him the benefit of the doubt and live through some growing pains to see how he pans out. That's just the way the coaches usually do it unfortunately. I agree Reid is a much better returner at this point and could just the same job or better at WR as well.

Hburg
09-19-2006, 04:13 PM
Im not saying I disagree with you, I just think the way the NFL is when you have a #1 draft you have to give him the benefit of the doubt and live through some growing pains to see how he pans out. That's just the way the coaches usually do it unfortunately. I agree Reid is a much better returner at this point and could just the same job or better at WR as well.

I understand the idea of havin to save face but to me I would rather keep the number 1 pick off the field until he looked like a number 1 pick than to have to watch his growin pains affect the team like I saw last night. Holmes has been a disappointment so far. Because of the fact that he is a number 1 pick you expect him to come out playin strong, maybe that is why I keep gettin surprise as I witness the bonehead moves he keeps makin. I will begin to gain faith in him again when I start to see consistent strong performance but for now for me he is a cause for concern in our offensive ranks.

BuFu

BlitzburghRockCity
09-19-2006, 04:28 PM
If you pull him, then maybe you slow his progress enough that he takes alot longer to develop, therefore losing out on alot of money invested in him. It's a catch22 . BC has always prided himself on playing the best player regardless of how much they earn or don't earn so I hope he makes the right decision soon. I think we're gonna have to wait and let Santonio either sink or swim for awhile yet before they make a change, unless they can find a way to get them both on the active roster.

Trust me, I like to see Reid in there and show us what he can do because we can't afford to keep starting deep in our endzone because of bone head moves in the return game.

Prosdo
09-19-2006, 04:33 PM
Positive: Nate Washington is continuin in what I think is goin to be his break out year.

BuFu

You are right. That is another good positive from the game. Hopefully next week everything gets on track.

Hburg
09-19-2006, 04:57 PM
If you pull him, then maybe you slow his progress enough that he takes alot longer to develop, therefore losing out on alot of money invested in him. It's a catch22 . BC has always prided himself on playing the best player regardless of how much they earn or don't earn so I hope he makes the right decision soon. I think we're gonna have to wait and let Santonio either sink or swim for awhile yet before they make a change, unless they can find a way to get them both on the active roster.

Trust me, I like to see Reid in there and show us what he can do because we can't afford to keep starting deep in our endzone because of bone head moves in the return game.

Yea, I understand the predicament, it's just frustratin. We can't keep startin from our own 10 and expect to get touchdowns every time.

You are right. That is another good positive from the game. Hopefully next week everything gets on track.

I feel you on that. I'm hopin. I really want to beat a team for once that we have bad blood against. So far we haven't been able to do it against the pats and now the jags.

BuFu

Blitzburgh55
09-19-2006, 05:17 PM
Postive: Ben is still alive and walking

cmdrfunk
09-19-2006, 06:34 PM
Postive: Ben is still alive and walking

haha until his fever overtakes him with a massive abdomen infection. ;)

BlitzburghRockCity
09-19-2006, 06:40 PM
Don't just us !! ;)

Koopa
09-19-2006, 08:23 PM
I saw Holmes' "progress" last night as a WR. After that performance I would pull him and make Reid a receiver. At this point I think Reid could do a better job in both positions than Santonio. Since becomin a 1st round draft pick he has done nothin that has positively contributed to the team. He has at this point fallen out of favor with me and has lost my trust as a player. Until he starts showin vast improvement I ain't gonna be supportin him and defendin him like I have all off-season. At this point I wonder what it would have been like to get a power RB first round....I think that might have helped more.

BuFu

wtf?? he's made two nice catches, not his fault the first game he gets the ball thrown behind him to miss a catch...and i was to fustrated to see what happened monday....sure he's being a retard on special teams but he hasn't done anything for him not to get deactivated.....both of his catchs have been first downs too.......cut morey lol, and activate willie

BlitzburghRockCity
09-19-2006, 09:21 PM
That's the catch 22 right there...if you deactivate him or bench him in favor of Willie, then you lose the progress he's made so far. On the flip side, you never know what Willie can do either and maybe he's the better man right now. For the forseeable future though, Santonio will continue to get the nod unless he self implodes or gets injured.

K Train
09-19-2006, 09:36 PM
lets be honest, Santonio hasnt had an opportunity to do anything on special teams, hes gonna be good, he plays alot like marvin harrison and has incredible speed and i cant wait to see him in open field. Willie is gonna be good to, i would activate him because he was impressive in preseason and has amazing PR ability. I dont know why we dont just cut duce...hes a bum, Chidi was more important to the team than duce.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-19-2006, 10:38 PM
Duce is insurance right now for us. If Najeh pans out and plays well, we could make Duce inactive on a regular basis and use that roster spot for Willie. Holmes just needs to learn to use better judgement in following his blockers and when to return or field a kick vs when to let it go.