PDA

View Full Version : Former Hofstra OL Colon impressive for Steelers

SteelersWoman
11-16-2007, 04:33 PM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjnotes165463263nov16,0,7871361.story

BY TOM ROCK

........Colon grew up a Giants fan but has been to Giants Stadium only once, as a fan, to watch a preseason game. He said he's looking forward to playing his first game there against the Jets on Sunday.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Colon is a "big-time competitor" who plays a physical game that suits the Steelers' philosophy. "He's all business and has a desire to be great," Tomlin said. "From that standpoint he shows maturity beyond his years, particularly from a second-year guy from Hofstra."

The Jets' run defense is ranked last in the NFL, but "it's like walking through tall grass. You have to watch out for the snakes," Colon said. "They have a lot of pride and veteran leadership. They're not going to let us come in and run over them."

I thought that was a great analogy for playing against teams that aren't playing well--you still have to watch out for the unexpected!

BlitzburghRockCity
11-16-2007, 04:56 PM
I think Colon has a ton of potential although he has struggled the last few games with his pass blocking so Im hoping he'll continue to get better and be that staple at RT that we need because Im sure Max Starks is still chomping at the bit to get in.

BlitzburghNation
11-16-2007, 09:38 PM
Tomlin will not allow these guys to overlook this weak team ~~~ :bigthumb:

Besides,,,,,,,,,I believe our guys will stay focused on the BIG PICTURE !

The first team to get 6 championships,,,,,,,,,, :banana2:

Stlrs4Life
11-16-2007, 10:47 PM
I still think Colon is a work in progress. I do hope for the best.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-17-2007, 06:02 AM
I think they probably also thought he was a work in progress too when they gave him the job. With Starks probably gone next year the team figures Colon can be the guy so why not get him in there this year and let him get experience for the long haul.

$teeler$guy
11-17-2007, 02:46 PM
i hope that he countines to do wat he does best

black an gold 4 life
11-17-2007, 08:24 PM
colon has the ability 2 b great he has 2 get his pass blocking 2gether,his run blocking is ok,he will b better next year!

BlitzburghRockCity
11-18-2007, 10:32 AM
Today is a great day for the OL to get on track in a big way and keep Ben from running for his life and get some nice running lanes for Parker and Colon is a big part of that.

Mike Tomlin
11-18-2007, 01:28 PM
Remember Colon is really a guard playing tackle because he's better than Starks. If he had Starks wing span then he would be great, but he has to block those bull rushers with his body and that spells trouble. I don't think he'll be our RT next year, he'll probally replace Faneca at LG next year.

Ambridge
11-18-2007, 07:33 PM
Sean Ellis made Willie Colon his personal "Turnstyle" today.
****-poor performance by Colon and the rest of the line!!

BlitzburghRockCity
11-18-2007, 07:47 PM
Sean Ellis made Willie Colon his personal "Turnstyle" today.
****-poor performance by Colon and the rest of the line!!

Couldn't have said it better myself, this unit needs a complete overall because right now a bunch of pee wee lineman could play better than they are.