PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben emerges as elite QB

BlitzburghRockCity
11-13-2007, 01:24 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_537653.html

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The comparisons with Eli Manning have been inevitable since the two quarterbacks were taken in the first round of the 2004 NFL Draft.

Comparisons with the other, and often otherworldly, Manning -- well, that would have been unthinkable as recently as a month ago.

But Ben Roethlisberger's transcendent play has turned the Steelers into Super Bowl contenders and thrust him into the discussion of determining the elite quarterbacks in the NFL.

Truth be told, it might be a bit of a disservice to Roethlisberger to compare him to Peyton Manning right now. That is how well he is playing.

His passer rating is second only to Tom Brady, and it doesn't fully reflect the impact Roethlisberger has also made with his legs in leading the Steelers to a 7-2 start.

"There's probably only one guy playing better than him right now, and that would be Tom Brady," ESPN NFL analyst Merrill Hoge said. "If he can continue to build on that and builds it all the way up to the (Steelers' Dec. 9 game against the) Patriots, and they can beat the Patriots, I think he's got a chance to win MVP of the league."

Brady appears to have a hammerlock on the award that only one Steelers player (Terry Bradshaw in 1978) has won in the modern era. But Roethlisberger has injected himself into that discourse after throwing five touchdown passes Nov. 5 against the Baltimore Ravens and leading the Steelers back from an 11-point halftime deficit Sunday in a 31-28 win over the Cleveland Browns.

When asked after he accounted for all three of the Steelers' second-half touchdowns if he should be considered in the class of Brady and Peyton Manning, Roethlisberger said, "Maybe some day I'd like it if I feel I'm up there with them."

That day may already be here.

"All I ever hear about is Peyton and Brady," Steelers defensive end Brett Keisel said. "(Roethlisberger) makes plays that those guys don't make, and that's what makes him so special."

While Brady and Manning pick teams apart from the pocket, Roethlisberger has differentiated himself from the two (and most other quarterbacks, for that matter) by tormenting defenses after he has gotten outside of the pocket.

His blend of size and athleticism and his pocket sense make the 6-foot-5, 241-pounder a master of escaping trouble, and Hoge said Roethlisberger and Dallas' Tony Romo possess a "rare" gift of being able to throw accurately while on the run.

The Browns discovered Sunday that Roethlisberger is also a threat when he tucks the ball and takes off.

He had a 30-yard touchdown run against Cleveland in the fourth quarter, and after the Browns had regained the lead, he scrambled for 10 yards on a third-and-9 play. That set up his game-winning, 2-yard touchdown pass to Heath Miller.

In good company

Ben Roethlisberger ranks second to Tom Brady in passer rating. Here are the top five NFL quarterbacks in that category, as well as their key statistics:

|Comp.|Att.|Yds.|TDs|INTs|Rating
Brady|219|299|2,686|33|4|131.8
Roethlisberger|160|242|2,020|22|7|110.2
Tony Romo|190|292|2,555|23|11|103.3
David Garrard|98|148|1,141|6|0|102.9
Brett Favre|238|354|2,757|16|8|96.2

The reasons for Roethlisberger's rise after he threw the most interceptions in the NFL in 2006 are almost as numerous as those 23 picks.

He didn't bring any psychological baggage into this season, and he has stayed healthy. New offensive coordinator Bruce Arians has given Roethlisberger, 25, a considerable ownership stake in the offense, and he has flourished in the increased role to which he has been entrusted.

Wide receiver Hines Ward said the biggest change he has seen in the youngest quarterback ever to win a Super Bowl: Roethlisberger is relying more on the players around him.

That, Ward said, is a sign of maturity.

"I think last season he put such an emphasis on trying to put the ball right between our numbers and sometimes stared guys down trying to make that perfect throw, and he didn't have to do that," Ward said. "Now, I think he's just trying to have fun and letting it go."

For Roethlisberger and the Steelers, it looks as if the fun is only beginning.

The league is getting the see what we knew Ben could do since he came to us in the draft. The article brings up a great point that in this season all the QB talk is about Manning and Brady and Romo but our guy Ben is quietly putting together 1 helluva season so far and his intangibles are what really put him up in the league as a top notch QB. They can continue to overlook us all they want because I'd rather be the underdog, the team that nobody really focuses on. We just go out and take care of business and if we continue to do that we will set ourselves up nicely heading into January. You can have the greatest defense in the world, a good running game, and great ST, but if you don't have a QB that can lead you and put the team on his shoulders like Ben showed us this year that he can do and especially this past Sunday; you won't go near as far as you want. We've got that guy and I'm so glad we do !

NOVA STEELERS
11-13-2007, 08:36 AM
Great Post and Good Read :clap: Thanks

BBG7
11-13-2007, 11:13 AM
great read and I agree 100%. Ben is doing all this quietly right now though and I like it that way. He still has that "game manager" title with his name when most are talking about him, but anyone that watches a Steelers game knows how special the kid is. I think Arians (while a lot of people hate him on here) is part of that sucess. He is really taking into account what Ben feels comfortable with and I think it is adding to his success.

Oh and Flood...show this article to that guy you were telling me about...lol!!!

$teeler$guy
11-13-2007, 11:55 AM
wats Peyton Manning's passer rating

AZ_Steeler
11-13-2007, 12:25 PM
wats Peyton Manning's passer rating

Ben should be included with the talks about the great QB's in the league right now. He already has one super bowl ring, he second in the league with his passer rating and the things he does on the field to will his team to a victory is just amazing! Is the big thing... Ben hasn't even peaked yet so we haven't seen the best out of him yet!

NOVA STEELERS
11-13-2007, 01:47 PM

Ben should be included with the talks about the great QB's in the league right now. He already has one super bowl ring, he second in the league with his passer rating and the things he does on the field to will his team to a victory is just amazing! Is the big thing... Ben hasn't even peaked yet so we haven't seen the best out of him yet!

The announcers for the game during MNF stated that BEN has the highest completion % of any QB outside of the pocket...... Now with that being the case I am surprised there is not more roll out plays called....... :2cents:

floodcitygirl
11-13-2007, 02:35 PM
Oh and Flood...show this article to that guy you were telling me about...lol!!!Great article. As far as that guy goes....can't wait to run into him to discuss the difference in play this past week with his "elite" QB and our "good for nothing" one. Although facts will mean nothing to him.....Bengal fan you know....reality isn't a factor for them. lol

BBG7
11-13-2007, 02:55 PM
Great article. As far as that guy goes....can't wait to run into him to discuss the difference in play this past week with his "elite" QB and our "good for nothing" one. Although facts will mean nothing to him.....Bengal fan you know....reality isn't a factor for them. lol

This is true...with most of them facts and stats mean nothing....Ben still sucks and Carson is god (well hell, he has a Hiesman):lol::lol::lol:

TampaSteelGirl
11-13-2007, 03:35 PM
Alright Big Ben!!!!!!!!!! :gs:

GoBenGo
11-13-2007, 03:39 PM
Mr Franchise! lock him in

SteelerSteve
11-13-2007, 06:29 PM
This is true...with most of them facts and stats mean nothing....Ben still sucks and Carson is god (well hell, he has a Hiesman):lol::lol::lol::lol: That is so true :lol: Dont they understand that while Palmer is a great "passer" he isn't anywhere near the athlete Ben is. Ben is physically a better football player than Palmer in every way.

Mike Tomlin
11-14-2007, 12:03 AM
I hate stats because to me they mean nothing on sunday but answer this?

Neither Brady* or Manning has ever gone 15-1 ben did it his rookie season.

Ben won the superbowl His second year, how long did it take Peyton?

My point is Ben should be in the top3 maybe even number two. Number 1 is Tom* because he has 3 rings. Ben does something neither one of them can do and that's run.

K Train
11-14-2007, 12:17 AM
I hate stats because to me they mean nothing on sunday but answer this?

Neither Brady* or Manning has ever gone 15-1 ben did it his rookie season.

Ben won the superbowl His second year, how long did it take Peyton?

My point is Ben should be in the top3 maybe even number two. Number 1 is Tom* because he has 3 rings. Ben does something neither one of them can do and that's run.

thats dumb, bens team was way better and carried him his first 2 years, not saying anyone could do it....he was obviously the guy for the job, but this is his breakout year where were seeing why he was a first round pick

black an gold 4 life
11-14-2007, 01:38 AM
:bluelol:carson palmer is an statue plain an simple 2 say he has an heisman, compared 2 bens superbowl ring which one would u rather have? that's like matt hasselback saying atleast our rings looks better than pittsburgh superbowl rings:lol::banana::cabbagepatch::bluelol: