PDA

View Full Version : Steelers currently the number 2 seed in the AFC after Colts loss tonight...

Troyisabeast_43
11-12-2007, 01:08 AM
Now I hate to beat a dead horse here but I been coming on here for weeks saying that the Steelers had a shot to get that number 2 seed if they would keep winning games with this schedule being pretty winnable and easy for the most part, and seeing that the Colts had the Pats and San Diego to play back to back weeks which you know would be a tough task for the Colts. As a result, after tonight the Steelers and Colts both sit at 7-2 in their divisions and the Steelers currently are ahead of the Colts for the number 2 seed based on a better conference record in the AFC. The Steelers conference record is currently 5-1 with their only loss coming against the Broncos,the Colts conference record is 4-2 with losses against the Pats and Chargers. So right there is why the Steelers currently hold the number 2 seed at the moment. The Steelers for all practical purposes clinched this division today going up 2 games on the Browns and essentially 3 games with the head to head tiebraker in hand, and going up 3 games on the Ravens who lost and 4 games essentially with them too with the head to head tiebraker. So I think its safe to say after this win today which was a very very tough battle against a pretty good Browns team, I think its safe to say with the Steelers upcoming schedule facing the Jets,Miami,and Cincy the next 3 weeks that they will be 10-2 going into the Pats game like I have been saying for weeks and thus they will put a strangle hold on this division once and for all. So I guess some of the guys on here like Koopa and K-Train who say I was an idiot to say this arent looking too smart themselves. Keep in mind the Steelers can still get the number 1 seed as well if the beat the Pats and win the rest of their games and have the Pats lose somehow one more game along the way. Will it happen?? Probably not but its not like its completely impossible.

This Steelers team is for real and is a major major player in this AFC. And the way things set up now with the Steelers now in control to get the 2 seed and the week off the rest of the way if they keep winning, and the Colts looking not so good tonight and the last few weeks, this Steelers team now I believe has a very very good chance at the very worst playing in the AFC Title game. I stuck by my pick of 13-3 14-2 even after we lost to the Broncos when some people on here ripped em and said people should die on the team. This Steelers team while it does need to clean up some things especially the special teams play, is a major player in this AFC and can definitely give the Pats a good run for their money to come out of this AFC and win the Super Bowl.

Woodson_DownUnder
11-12-2007, 03:33 AM
The Steelers conference record is currently 5-1 with their only loss coming against the Broncos,the Colts conference record is 4-2 with losses against the Pats and Chargers. So right there is why the Steelers currently hold the number 2 seed at the moment.

This Steelers team is for real and is a major major player in this AFC.

Well said Troyisabeast_43.

Can't afford to become complacent as it's becoming a concern giving up early leads when the points are left on the field (damn turnovers) and given to the opposition as gifts to help themselves to stretch the deficiet. The special teams can't afford to mess around either. We have gifted ONE game to the CARDS thru ST and another to the undeserving Broncos... the protection of BEN was dismal in that SNF game. :nono:

We're in the BOX seat to take the NUMBER 2 seed and perhaps snare #1 but that means little considering our home field advantage in play-offs isn't as flattering as we expected. Just keep on, keeping on....Solid D, convert those third downs and NO TURNOVERS = 14-2 season. :crossfingers:

BlacknGold Bleeder
11-12-2007, 08:05 AM
I prefer to do like one of the greatest coaches of all time said and "TAKE IT ONE GAME AT A TIME !!" We have to keep focused on the team we play next week and not get ahead of ourselves... I think that is all K and Koop were trying to say. We have a few winnable games, just like Ariz.and Den. were, and to look further we have NE in NE and Jags, who always play us tough. So before you are proclaimed the great prognosticator ya may want to tone it down a bit...:2cents: There is plenty of time for "I told you so " later...

BlitzburghRockCity
11-12-2007, 09:01 AM
We are the current #2 seed as of last night right now yes but every damn time this team has a chance to distance itself from the competition and actually assert their position in the conference they always blow the chance...until yesterday. We showed great fortitude and composure coming back in that game yesterday. Sure the clowns defense is terrible but the point is that our offense got it together and didn't panic. Anytime you come back from 15 points down that says something about you. We have a great opportunity ahead of us but we better not look any further ahead than the NY Jets right now.

Troyisabeast_43
11-12-2007, 10:48 AM
I dont proclaim to be anything but if those guys want to sit here and act like bandwagoners when the Steelers lose and say they stink and are done and have no chance, and we need a new running back, and they hope Bruce Ariens dies in his sleep for his playcalling yesterday like Koopa said, like they do time and time again when the Steelers lose which they know they do and you guys know they do, instead of just staying calm and being realistic about things like I have been after the Steelers lost to Denver. Ill continue to stand by what I said this team is a 13-3 14-2 team, and if you want to keep calling me an idiot or saying Im insane for thinkin the Steelers can compete with the Pats and Colts like they did a month ago then keep on doing it. Ill continue to look ahead at this schedule because Im not the one playing on the field, Im a season ticket holder and If I want to look ahead like most of us should be doing to the Pats game which is the next game that really matters then I will do just that. There is no way the Steelers will lose to the Jets,Miami, or Cincy especially with 2 of the 3 at home. That game yesterday against Cleveland will be the Steelers toughest tests and game until the Pats game in about 3 weeks bank on it. So what Im saying is overall Id much rather read a posts about saying I think this team is going to be 10-2 going into New England as opposed to reading a posts like Koopa writes saying we need a new running back when we have the 2nd leading rusher in the NFL,and that he hopes coaches and players die like Bruce Ariens for the playcalling yesterday during the game. There is just no need for posts like that, and when you write something like that you sound like a moron and lose all credibility as far as Im concerned.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------
wow, arains ****ing sucks dick, i seriously hope he dies tonight in his sleep.

Here is a quote from Koopa yesterday in the gameday chat thread when the Steelers were losing 21-6. I dont mean to be bitching and whining and sound like a nark, but are posts like that on here really neccessary?? I mean if you want to be pissed off and upset fine. But dont sit there and write ignorant stuff like that that makes you sound like a complete jackass especially when he suppose to be one of the moderators on this site. A posts like that in my opinion isnt funny and just has no business being written period.

black an gold 4 life
11-12-2007, 10:57 AM
WE CAN RIDE WITH ANY ONE IF WERE FOCUSED AN OUR O-LINE HOLDS UP,I DON'T CARE WHAT NO ONE SAYS OUR O-LINE IS AN HAS BEEN OUR WEAK LINK THIS YEAR, I LOVE MY BLACK AN GOLD BUT IF WE DON'T GET THAT O-LINE 2GETHER WE WON'T GO FAR N THE PLAYOFFS,I THINK WE SHOULD B ABLE 2 CRITICIZE OUT TEAM, AS LONG AS WE DON'T GO OVER BOARD,WHAT I LIKE ABOUT THIS STEELERS TEAM IS WHEN THEY GET DOWN THEY HAVE PROVEN TWICE THIS YEAR THAT THEY CAN COME BACK,WITH COWARDS TEAMS ONCE TEAMS GOT UP ON US 21-9 WE WERE DONE 4 THE DAY,NOW WITH THE NEW COACH AN NEW ATTITUDE WERE NEVER OUTTA OF GAMES.WE ALSO HAVE 2 GET THIS NOT SO SPECIAL TEAM 2GETHER IF THEY HOLD THERE END UP WE KEEP THE CLOWNS AT 21 POINTS,WHERE THEY SHOULD OF STAYED, THEY SHOULDN'T OF EVEN SCORED THAT MUCH, BUT HEY S*** HAPPENS,WITH ALL THAT BEING SAID GO STEELERS

BBG7
11-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Ok, well first I'm going ot say everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Now on to the subject. Yes, Indy losing today was great and we might be in 2nd now, but there is a ton of football to go. We have to keep winning and we probably need Indy to lose another game because I'm sure we still have atleast one more loss in us (not to be negative...just realistic). I perfer the one game at a time attitude instead of looking so far ahead just over half way through the season though.

steelcitysfinestXL
11-12-2007, 11:44 AM
I agree that "the team" MUST have a one game at a time attitude, but the Colts loss is rather huge!!! I'd like to think we are a lock for the playoffs and a another AFCN title. But the team MUST keep winning beacuase i think i speak for everybody when i say i'd rather play at Heinz Field in the Divisional round than at SD or IND!!! As far as NE, in due time!!! I liked bens post game confrence wehn he said... " i dont even know who we play next, is it the jets!?!?" I dont buy that he didnt know but atleast the team is "buying in" to the "next game is the biggest game" theory that Tomlin has brought in!!!!

SteelerSteve
11-12-2007, 01:44 PM
I dont really mind looking ahead in the schedule, I do it too, but havent we already talked about the Pats game enough? I know it is going to probably be our biggest test, but what are we going to talk about when it comes time to play them if we have already broken it down? I am just saying alot can happen between now and then and right now we should be focused on our next game.

AZ_Steeler
11-12-2007, 02:27 PM
Yes the Jets and Miami games should be winnable but they are also those games that can sneak up and bite you in the ***, like the Cardinals game! Plus I would hate to overlook the Bengals... they have come into Heinz field the last two year and beat the Steelers (even though it was handed to them last year!). Regardless though, the Steelers may have the #2 seed right now, but being optimistic they probably will need the Colts to lose one more game to an AFC opponent just so the Steelers can keep that edge on the #2 slot.

Stlrs4Life
11-12-2007, 09:14 PM
I prefer to do like one of the greatest coaches of all time said and "TAKE IT ONE GAME AT A TIME !!" We have to keep focused on the team we play next week and not get ahead of ourselves... I think that is all K and Koop were trying to say. We have a few winnable games, just like Ariz.and Den. were, and to look further we have NE in NE and Jags, who always play us tough. So before you are proclaimed the great prognosticator ya may want to tone it down a bit...:2cents: There is plenty of time for "I told you so " later...

Same here, it is way too early to be talking playoff seeds.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-13-2007, 03:29 PM
Ok you 2...enough already. You both have valid arguments and points to your thoughts. You could go back and forth from now till oblivion and never agree so just agree to disagree and call it a day :redcool:

K Train
11-13-2007, 06:51 PM
ok were done i just cleaned up the thread so we dont have to move it to the LOS...no point in bitching at each other

:deadhorse:

BlitzburghRockCity
11-13-2007, 07:14 PM
So anyways back on track with this ;)

I was just listening to Tomlin's press conference on FSN today and the way he talks about and respects the Jets as a team he knows that we can't afford to do anything other than look ahead to Sunday.

They've got one helluva returner in Washington ( i think his name is) so if Cribbs wasn't bad enough now we have a guy who's returned 3 kicks for TD's this year so we better be ready and bring our A game if we want to keep this lead in the division we have and hopefully expand on it.

Troyisabeast_43
11-13-2007, 07:30 PM
Tomlin press conferences are great. The more you watch the guy and just listen to him and see his demeanor and the way he handles himself and how mature he is you cant help but be more impressed each and everytime he speaks. He is on top of everything and probably knows when these guys go to the bathroom lol. Tomlin is not going to let them overlook the Jets or Miami or any of these teams they play before the big showdown in New England. He knows that this is an any given Sunday league and if you dont show up and come out flat and bring your best especially on the road in New York you can end up getting beat. With that being said while the Jets do have Washington and he is a good returner and our special teams has been very bad as of late, I do believe Tomlin finally will address it this week and those big returns will not occur. Aside from that the Jets really pose no threat at all to the Steelers. I mean the Jets are 1-8 for a reason and that reason being is they stink and there not very good. They have lost to teams such as Buffalo twice,Cincy,Philly,Washington,and Baltimore in 6 of their 8 losses. The only win they had this year was against a winless Miami team at home and they barely won that game. Thomas Jones isnt having a very good year, so I look for the Steelers to shut him down big time, and for Dick Lebeau and this Steelers D to feast on a guy like Kellen Clemens.

The Jets are one of the worst teams in the league in stopping the run, and give up a lot of yards on defense passing as well. So while you are right TG you cant overlook anybody the Steelers should take care of the Jets I feel with no problem at all and win this game something like 31-7 31-10. If this game is even remotely close Ill be shocked. The Steelers should win this game over the Jets going away.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-13-2007, 07:38 PM
The Redskins thought the same thing about the Jets a couple weeks ago and almost blew it...now yes we are a better team overall than the skins are but it just goes to show that if you don't score TD's every chance you get and put your best foot forward every sunday that disaster is just waiting right around the next bend. On paper we should easily beat the Jets but that's why they play the game so I expect to us to come out firing and try to jump on them early and take the crowd out of it hopefully and if we can do that we can make them one dimensional and then dictate the game the way we want.

We need this win to keep our 2 game edge in the division and possibly open it up more depending on how things play out. The clowns and ratbirds play this week so one of them will lose and if we can win our game then we'll atleast stay 2 games ahead and if the rats win then we'd be 3 games ahead. It's yet another crucial week in the AFCN :bluelol:

Troyisabeast_43
11-13-2007, 07:58 PM
The Steelers will not come out flat again like they did against the Browns this past week. You will not see that two weeks in a row from this Steelers team its just too good. I do expect the Steelers unlike the Redskins to jump on the Jets early in this game much like they did against the Bengals in Cincy a few weeks back and never look back. If the Steelers jump out to a 14-0 17-0 in this game then you can pretty much forget it. The Jets will not score that many points against the Steelers with a rookie QB having to throw the ball each and everytime. This Steelers D is going to have a ton of sacks this week, and a few interceptions I feel. One might even go back for a TD. I just feel that the Steelers are really gonna pound the Jets bad this week so I hope Im right.

As far as this division goes Im not even worried about maintaining a lead or winning it anymore. The Steelers won this division on Sunday when they beat the Browns. The Bengals are baried and wont catch us, the Ravens have completely fallen apart and even if they do beat the Browns on Sunday they still have to play SD,New England and Indy the next 3 games and will not win any of those. Plus, the Ravens are 0-4 in the division. The Browns while they do have an easy schedule and pretty good are still too up and down and inconsistent for me to think they can win on a week to week basis. The Steelers are essentially 3 games up on the Browns in the standings 2 in the win loss column and 3 with the head to head tiebraker having swept them already. Look for the Steelers as I mentioned in my other posts after they take care of the Jets,Miami,and Cincy the next 3 weeks that will put them at 10 wins at 10-2 and based on the Ravens and Browns schedule the next few weeks that should be the week the Steelers officially clinch this division the night we beat the Bengals here.

So while we havent officially clinched this division yet, realistically we have, and Im now more concerned on what really matters and that maintaining that number 2 seed in the playoffs over the Colts which we now have, and still having a shot to catch the Pats for the top seed if we beat them and win out, and the Pats end up losing one more game along the way somehow. Im much more concerned with what the Colts and Pats are doing now as opposed to what the Browns and Ravens are doing. Both of them have no chance at all of catching the Steelers in this division after this weekend period.

Mike Tomlin
11-13-2007, 10:54 PM
Honestly after what we did in 2005 ,if we get homefield advantage or not doesn't matter. Plus we won't have to play evey playoff game on the road this year. I can't wait until Dec. 9 collect money and rub it in some faces lol!

Woodson_DownUnder
11-16-2007, 06:42 PM
The Steelers will not come out flat again like they did against the Browns this past week. You will not see that two weeks in a row from this Steelers team its just too good. I do expect the Steelers unlike the Redskins to jump on the Jets early in this game much like they did against the Bengals in Cincy a few weeks back and never look back. If the Steelers jump out to a 14-0 17-0 in this game then you can pretty much forget it. The Jets will not score that many points against the Steelers with a rookie QB having to throw the ball each and everytime. This Steelers D is going to have a ton of sacks this week, and a few interceptions I feel. One might even go back for a TD. I just feel that the Steelers are really gonna pound the Jets bad this week so I hope Im right.

As far as this division goes Im not even worried about maintaining a lead or winning it anymore. The Steelers won this division on Sunday when they beat the Browns. The Bengals are baried and wont catch us, the Ravens have completely fallen apart and even if they do beat the Browns on Sunday they still have to play SD,New England and Indy the next 3 games and will not win any of those. Plus, the Ravens are 0-4 in the division. The Browns while they do have an easy schedule and pretty good are still too up and down and inconsistent for me to think they can win on a week to week basis. The Steelers are essentially 3 games up on the Browns in the standings 2 in the win loss column and 3 with the head to head tiebraker having swept them already. Look for the Steelers as I mentioned in my other posts after they take care of the Jets,Miami,and Cincy the next 3 weeks that will put them at 10 wins at 10-2 and based on the Ravens and Browns schedule the next few weeks that should be the week the Steelers officially clinch this division the night we beat the Bengals here.

So while we havent officially clinched this division yet, realistically we have, and Im now more concerned on what really matters and that maintaining that number 2 seed in the playoffs over the Colts which we now have, and still having a shot to catch the Pats for the top seed if we beat them and win out, and the Pats end up losing one more game along the way somehow. Im much more concerned with what the Colts and Pats are doing now as opposed to what the Browns and Ravens are doing. Both of them have no chance at all of catching the Steelers in this division after this weekend period.

Great post Troyisabeast_43, I agree with everything you stated. Looking at the health of our guys in the stretch, I'm anticipating Najeh gets much more carries than he normally has been getting to ease Willie in for the Pats game. Has Gary Russell been getting ANY game time this season?? He'll have to be our fourth quarter anchor if the result is determined early this week.. I'm more of seeing Arians being smart and preserving the health of Willie at this stage.. BIGGER FISH to fry and that includes those pesky Patriots.