PDA

View Full Version : Changes to the OL or not ?

BlitzburghRockCity
11-10-2007, 06:05 AM
At this point with the OL still having troubles putting together a consistent effort each week do we make changes and try to spark something or just stick with what we have?

At this point IMO the best 5 that we have are on the field now. Making changes half way through the season is more than likely only going to set them back. According to Kendall Simmons in a recent article in the Trib (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/sports/steelers/s_537259.html)he said that "we're getting close," Simmons said. "Sometimes it might take the whole season (for an offensive line to jell). We're getting better communicating, knowing where everybody is supposed to be."

We all know the OL will need to be addressed this coming offseason partly because of need with Faneca most likely gone but also because we just really need some fresh blood instilled into that unit. The backups had their chance to step up this training camp when Tomlin had an open competition so at this point it is what it is and we just have to hope they can get more consistent the more they work together.

BlitzburghNation
11-10-2007, 06:39 AM
Like you said our best 5 are already playing,,,,,,,, We have to live with what
we got !
What we all wanted in the draft,we never got,so I really believe next draft
we'll get an O-Lineman,,,,,,,,,Let's just hope these 5 really start clicking by season's end ~~~~ :bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
11-10-2007, 06:43 AM
I didn't really expect us to have a big rushing day against the ratbirds, I don't think anybody did. They are good at stopping the run and they were definitely selling out to do so.

The good thing about this team rather than years past is that when teams sell out to stop the run, Ben can go to work and tear them apart. If they continue to stack the line then we can continue to pass and score TD's. If they want to sit back and stop the pass then we'll just run Willie and Najeh all day against them. The OL still has to come together and continue to improve because the toughest part of the schedule is just ahead.

$teeler$guy
11-10-2007, 06:48 AM
i say we leave the ol only i like it the why it is.

BlitzburghNation
11-10-2007, 07:03 AM
Right you are TG,,,,,,,,,,, But we all know that our pass protection is really lacking :cursin:
Good thing Big Ben is a mobile QB :bigthumb:

BBG7
11-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Thank God we have Ben!!! He is the only QB I would take in this league with our OL troubles.

SteelersfaninPhilly
11-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Better start breaking in Faneca's replacement.

black an gold 4 life
11-10-2007, 11:40 PM
our o-line sucks, but i'll give them credit because they blocked thet rat bird defense pretty good, but we have given up 19 sacks,this is not good!!! our o-line has 2 get it 2gether but at this point i say live an die with what u have!!!

MDSteel15
11-11-2007, 12:39 AM
Leave the line alone for now and work on it in the draft!

Preacher
11-11-2007, 03:50 AM
Leave the line alone for now and work on it in the draft!

I have to agree here...

Also, we have to remember that Ben is responsible for calling the offensive blocking schemes right now, so a few of the sacks may be his misread.

Beyond that, why mess with the line now? We take what we got now as far as we can, then retool in the spring.

I also prefer NOT to re-tool with draft picks across the line. I would rather have a FA in place of Fanaca... and then get round 1 and round 2 picks to push simmons and Smith (8th year, and some say he is not playing to the level he used to).

I am happy with Mahan and the jury is out on Colon, so I don't think we worry about him yet.

Iron City South
11-19-2007, 05:19 PM
At this point with the OL still having troubles putting together a consistent effort each week do we make changes and try to spark something or just stick with what we have?

At this point IMO the best 5 that we have are on the field now. Making changes half way through the season is more than likely only going to set them back. According to Kendall Simmons in a recent article in the Trib (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/sports/steelers/s_537259.html)he said that "we're getting close," Simmons said. "Sometimes it might take the whole season (for an offensive line to jell). We're getting better communicating, knowing where everybody is supposed to be."

We all know the OL will need to be addressed this coming offseason partly because of need with Faneca most likely gone but also because we just really need some fresh blood instilled into that unit. The backups had their chance to step up this training camp when Tomlin had an open competition so at this point it is what it is and we just have to hope they can get more consistent the more they work together.

Topgun, even though you started this thread a few weeks ago, something tells me it will be with us for the entire season.

Personally, I don't agree we have the best 5 on the field. If I were Tomlin I would seriously be considering putting Starks back in over Colin and Kimo over Simmons. Don't get me wrong, I like Colin but I don't think he's ready for prime time yet. He still has a lot to learn. Starks is twice the run blocker Colin is and is an average pass blocker ... good enough for a mobile QB like Ben who can maneuver his way in and out of the pocket. Simmons on the other hand just flat out blows. Kimo is 3 times stronger at the point of attack and plays with an attitude.

I say, give it a try ... it's not like we have much to lose.

Troyisabeast_43
11-19-2007, 05:38 PM
I think Willie Colon at this point needs to be on a short leash because he is just getting beat way too much the last 2-3 games. You still have Max Starks who is still 6'6 335 pounds and you won a Super Bowl with the guy starting 2 years ago why not put him back in there and sink or swim with the guy over there. I wouldnt mind Kemoatu getting out there as well at some point. Obviously Sean Mahan is a major downgrade from Jeff Hartings at center but he wasnt highly regarded coming in here from Tampa so like the old saying goes you get what you pay for there. I do agree though if these offensive line woes continue with all these sacks occuring the next few weeks it will definitely be time to change some things up and find something that can gel and work going into December and the playoffs.

Whodat
11-19-2007, 06:16 PM
I agree with everyone on "no changes". Everyone needs to step up. Too many pentalties and miscues.

Stlrs4Life
11-19-2007, 07:34 PM
I agree Top Gun, we need to leave it be now. The cats out of the bag.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-19-2007, 09:03 PM
If I had a shred of confidence in any of our backups I'd say put them in but at this point I just don't think any of them are significantly or even marginally better than what we have right now. Starks is a mauler in the running game but he's got cement blocks for feet so it's a give and take with Starks and Colon. At this point though Max is most likely not coming back so I think it's probably better to let Colon take his lumps and learn on the job. :dunno:

I was screaming for Chris Kemoeatu to win that job over Simmons in camp but apparently he just never quite was able to wrestle the RG spot away from him. At this point as bad as we are playing it's really a toss up but honestly our main issues seem to stem at Center where Mahan is getting blown up every week and Ben has to scramble out of the pocket so at this point maybe Philip should get a try?

steelcitysfinestXL
11-20-2007, 12:13 PM
I have to agree here...

Also, we have to remember that Ben is responsible for calling the offensive blocking schemes right now, so a few of the sacks may be his misread.

Beyond that, why mess with the line now? We take what we got now as far as we can, then retool in the spring.

I also prefer NOT to re-tool with draft picks across the line. I would rather have a FA in place of Fanaca... and then get round 1 and round 2 picks to push simmons and Smith (8th year, and some say he is not playing to the level he used to).

I am happy with Mahan and the jury is out on Colon, so I don't think we worry about him yet.

Well im not sold on Mahan at all! This guuy misses way too many blocks... go back and watch the game again if possible!!! Its not like he is getting beat "every play" its alot of missed assignments!!! I still say we need more short routes aka "hot routes" called at the line when Ben senses the blitz. Remember the openning drive of SBXL when hasslebac dinked and dunked right down the field on us!!!?!? Thats the best way beat the blitz and if our wrs have one obvious strength its after the ball is in their hands. Ward has great vision and is a beast to tackle in the open field, Holmes has lightning acceleration, Nate shows promise of good field vision, speed and an unwillingness to go down!!! Hell even Ced always seems to know here the marker is and has shown some signs that he WAS brought due to his return skills ( which means he can run well after the catch!!!) With ben Being 6'5-6'6 and having very good arm strength and accuracy with in 20 yards he should be running a more 5 step drop type of passing game!! If you watched him in college thats how he made a living!!! Go back and count how many plays we had Holmes breaking open 25+ yards down field ritgh as Ben was starting to run for his life!!!