PDA

View Full Version : Arians plans to run against the Ravens...also stirs up some controversy

BlitzburghRockCity
11-02-2007, 07:00 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07306/830546-66.stm?cmpid=HBEHTML

Friday, November 02, 2007

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It was a bold day for offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, and it had nothing to do with his play-calling or his game plan for the Baltimore Ravens.

First, he said Ravens safety Ed Reed is better than Troy Polamalu, a comment that might be considered sacrilegious in this town.

Then he guaranteed the Steelers will be able to run the ball against the Ravens when the teams meet Monday night in Heinz Field.

Willie Parker, who leads all National Football League running backs with five 100-yard games, was held to 50 yards on 23 carries in two games against the Ravens last season. Arians said that won't happen again, even though the Ravens have the league's No. 2 rush defense.

"Partly, it was us; we took a pass-first mentality to Baltimore and it backfired," Arians said yesterday after practice. "Last year was last year. All I'm worried about is this year. We're going to run the football, make no bones about it."

Asked if that meant attempt to run the football, Arians said, "No, we're going to run the football."

But his comment about Polamalu, a three-time Pro Bowl selection and the youngest member of the Steelers' 75th anniversary team, might be even more shocking.

"Ed's a great player," Arians said of Reed, a thee-time Pro Bowl selection and the NFL's defensive player of the year in 2004. "I personally think he's the best. I love Troy and I think he's good, but Ed is really good."

I must say that I like his resolve and attitude but at the same time it makes me :scratch: my head if you know what I mean.

Also as far as Troy goes and that comment, I would hope he's just being political correct and not trying to stir the pot with bulletin board material but then again why not just keep your mouth shut? unless he's trying to play more mind games.

black an gold 4 life
11-02-2007, 01:37 PM
:cursin:AGAIN JUST WHAT WE NEED MORE BULLITEN BOARD MATERIAL, WHY CAN'T ARAINS JUST SHUT HIS PIE HOLE:scratch:WELL OUR BOYS BETTER COME OUT AN AN MAKE IT HAPPEN, MAN WHY CAN'T WE SAVE ALL THAT 4 AFTER AN VICTORY?OR BETTER LET THE FANS, DO THE TRASH TALKING!!!

AZ_Steeler
11-02-2007, 02:15 PM
I think he's just trying to sike Reed out... because I see that as a slap in the face to Troy more than anything.

Someone posted this stat earlier this week... FWP 100 yards = 17-1 record

:bigthumb:

ARKIESTEEL
11-02-2007, 02:20 PM
We told the broncos we was going to run and we passed we tell the rats we are going to run ....... so what do you think we will do:scratch:

AZ_Steeler
11-02-2007, 02:32 PM
We told the broncos we was going to run and we passed we tell the rats we are going to run ....... so what do you think we will do:scratch:

I was just thinking of this!! :lol:

steelcitysfinestXL
11-02-2007, 03:44 PM
no we're gonna run and run often... we have to run at the 8 man front!!! Not saying its gonna be OVERLY effective but it will force them to to play up the middle... taking away from the outside rush... we need to keep a short field on 3rd down. It would be a good week to break out the "No Huddle" we practiced so much in the preseason!!!

Koopa
11-02-2007, 03:45 PM
reed is better than troy, troy only gets love cause he wears a steelers jersey, if reed was here, he'd be god to most of y'all

SteelerSteve
11-02-2007, 04:00 PM
reed is better than troy, troy only gets love cause he wears a steelers jersey, if reed was here, he'd be god to most of y'allImo if Troy was in a Pats or Colts jersey, he would be a god to the whole media.

Stlrs4Life
11-02-2007, 05:28 PM
:cursin:AGAIN JUST WHAT WE NEED MORE BULLITEN BOARD MATERIAL, WHY CAN'T ARAINS JUST SHUT HIS PIE HOLE:scratch:WELL OUR BOYS BETTER COME OUT AN AN MAKE IT HAPPEN, MAN WHY CAN'T WE SAVE ALL THAT 4 AFTER AN VICTORY?OR BETTER LET THE FANS, DO THE TRASH TALKING!!!

Exactly, I kinda knew it was a mistake getting this guy from Cleveland.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-02-2007, 09:30 PM
Why play these stupid mind games in the NFL, what ever happened to just shutting up and playing the game. Let them figure out on game day what we're going to do.

K Train
11-02-2007, 09:36 PM
reed is better than troy, troy only gets love cause he wears a steelers jersey, if reed was here, he'd be god to most of y'all

troy is an awesome player, hes very versatile and he makes plays, reed is a better natural safety, troy is more of a mini LB, which is also the difference between a SS (troy) and a FS (reed). Reed has great ball skills, he could play WR or corner is he wanted and he runs like a RB when he gets the ball.....when troy has the ball he runs like a LB lol.

The 2 are completely different, Anthony smith is very ed reed like in his skills and insticts, alot more so than troy

Also, quit whining about arians, he is doing a good job despite everyones bitching about him, he can talk all he wants, who gives a ****

BB2W
11-02-2007, 09:50 PM
I think Troy's play has declined since the Superbowl run. Part us this is due to film... teams are getting used to what he does that used to give offenses fits. I think he needs much more control, his aggresiveness is his biggest asset, but at time he is coming so hard he is out of postition and flaling. He need to work on execution and self controll.

In my opinion Reed is still the best, and i"m not syaing Troy can't step it up, but Reed is on another level at thuis point

Here's to Troy turning things around. :tt02:

I wamt to see more playing time for Smith around the line of scrimmage.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-02-2007, 09:51 PM
You make a good point about the comparison between Troy and Ed. Hands down they are the 2 best safety's in the game today if you ask me. I think many times people forget they are actually 2 different positional players and not just "safeties". Imagine if you had those 2 playing together on your team :lol:

I like what Smith brings to the table with Troy, he's the future and those 2 have the potential to be even better than Chris Hope was with Troy.

BB2W
11-02-2007, 10:02 PM
Troy is a beast, but his pass rush has declind,,, I would like to see what Anthony Smith has to offer as a pass rush. Should be an interesting decision for the coasches,

K Train
11-02-2007, 10:06 PM
why do you want smith around the LOS? thats troys game, smith excels in coverage and hits the WRs like a truck, thats what a FS is suppose to do....drop back. And what makes him alot better than hope is his closing speed, hes there to help the corners and covers alot of field while the ball is in the air, the guy get alot of tackles, hes in on all the plays

BB2W
11-02-2007, 10:12 PM
why do you want smith around the LOS? thats troys game, smith excels in coverage and hits the WRs like a truck, thats what a FS is suppose to do.
He could be ananimal pressuring the QB... Troy hasn;t been doing much in the roll.

K Train
11-02-2007, 10:37 PM
see to me, thats not either of their job, we havent been blitzing troy much but when we do it scares the **** out of the QB, he might be a beast pass rusher but hes so good in coverage, let the LBs do that, with a cover guy like him we can afford to open up the blitzing, not saying ever, but his strenth is in the secondary

BB2W
11-02-2007, 11:05 PM
see to me, thats not either of their job, we havent been blitzing troy much but when we do it scares the shiat out of the QB, he might be a beast pass rusher but hes so good in coverage, let the LBs do that, with a cover guy like him we can afford to open up the blitzing, not saying ever, but his strenth is in the secondaryIve see Troy plugged when rushing in the middle of the line this season quit a bit. I gotta think Smith when he is brining it is lil stronger.

K Train
11-02-2007, 11:22 PM
meh, i see troy in the backfield alot, but not really pass rushing

BB2W
11-02-2007, 11:34 PM
why do you want smith around the LOS? thats troys game, smith excels in coverage and hits the WRs like a truck, thats what a FS is suppose to do....drop back. And what makes him alot better than hope is his closing speed, hes there to help the corners and covers alot of field while the ball is in the air, the guy get alot of tackles, hes in on all the playsBecause Smith is bread to play Troy's roll if he wasn't forced to play FS...

There is no disputing that Smith is a playmaker, as evidenced by the two interceptions he had in four starts last season and the game he had against the Bengals.

Smith, who usually shares time with Clark at free safety, does most of his hitting in the secondary, but Horton said the 5-foot-11, 192-pounder could also be a dangerous pass rusher.

The Steelers simply don't blitz much with their free safeties -- they usually stay back in coverage -- since strong safety Troy Polamalu moves around so frequently.

"If we didn't have Troy," said Horton, who played 10 seasons in the NFL, "this kid would be a dominant blitzer. I've told him to look at (Eagles All-Pro safety) Brian Dawkins, because this kid is that type of player. He's a big, strong, fast, tough kid that can catch."

K Train
11-02-2007, 11:38 PM
lol i read that, my point is hes a great cover safety which is tough to come by....and dawkins....FS too lol

i expect us to use him to his full potential, his skills are undeniable

BB2W
11-02-2007, 11:44 PM
Troy is agreat talent but I see him out of position and overpursuing alot costing us yardage many times. :2cents:

I don't doubt Smith's strentgh amonst other things that make him great for the roll. :2cents:s

K Train
11-03-2007, 12:07 AM
its one of those things that you get what you get with troy, he plays that way and sometimes its great and sometimes its costly, he makes plays though.

same idea with ben, he takes chances just like troy over pursues

BB2W
11-03-2007, 12:38 AM
I understand... I just haven't see the paymaking I used to from Troy. I'm starting to get worried. :scratch:

BlitzburghNation
11-03-2007, 02:35 AM
Smoke screen ,,,,,,,, We will do whatever it takes to move the chains !

I never pay any attention to that crap,,,,,,,,

I look for santonio,hines & miller to have a big game :towelwave: