PDA

View Full Version : Former Steelers nominated for HOF

Stlrs4Life
10-30-2007, 10:32 PM
Former Steelers nominated for Hall
Tuesday, October 30, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Former Steelers linebackers Levon Kirkland and Hardy Nickerson are among those nominated to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in their first year of eligibility.

In all, 124 people are on the Hall's modern-era nomination list for the Class of 2008, including former Steelers nominated in previous years as well. They are center Dermontti Dawson, linebacker Kevin Greene, safety Donnie Shell, former coach Buddy Parker and former head of player personnel Art Rooney Jr.

Selectors will choose 25 candidates who will advance as semifinalist nominees from this list, then reduce it to 15 modern-era finalists.

The final list for Hall of Fame consideration will consist of those 15 modern-era nominees plus two previously announced senior nominees, Marshall Goldberg, who played at Pitt, and Emmitt Thomas. Goldberg, a multi-purpose back was a two-way star with the Chicago Cardinals from 1939-1943 and following World War II from 1946 to 1948. Thomas, an all-league cornerback, starred for 13 seasons (1966-1978) for the Kansas City Chiefs. The two senior nominees were selected this past August by the Hall of Fame's Senior Selection Committee.

The Class of 2008 will be selected from the list of 17 finalists (15 modern-era and two senior nominees). The voting will take place Feb. 2 in Phoenix, Ariz. Between four and seven new members will be selected.

To be considered for Hall of Fame election, a nominated player or coach must have been retired at least five years.

The Nominees:

Nominees in First Year of Eligibility

WIDE RECEIVERS ' Cris Carter, Herman Moore

RUNNING BACK ' Eric Metcalf (also WR/KR/PR)

OFFENSIVE TACKLES ' Tony Boselli, Lomas Brown, Richmond Webb

LINEBACKERS ' Levon Kirkland, Hardy Nickerson

CORNERBACK ' Darrell Green (CB)

Additional Nominees for the Class of 2008

QUARTERBACKS ' Ken Anderson, Randall Cunningham, Boomer Esiason, Jim Plunkett, Phil Simms, Ken Stabler, Joe Theismann, Danny White, Doug Williams

RUNNING BACKS ' Ottis Anderson, Roger Craig, Terrell Davis, Herschel Walker, Ricky Watters

WIDE RECEIVERS ' Cliff Branch, Harold Carmichael, Dwight Clark, Gary Clark, Isaac Curtis, Henry Ellard, Roy Green, *Art Monk, Drew Pearson, *Andre Reed

TIGHT ENDS ' Mark Bavaro, Todd Christensen, Ben Coates, Russ Francis, Brent Jones, Jay Novacek

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN ' Jim Covert (T), Dermontti Dawson (C), *Russ Grimm (G), Jay Hilgenberg (C), Kent Hill (G/T), Chris Hinton (G/T), Kent Hull (C), Joe Jacoby (T), Mike Kenn (T), *Bob Kuechenberg (G), Jim Lachey (T), Mark May (T/G/C), Randall McDaniel (G), Jeff Van Note (C), Steve Wisniewski (G), *Gary Zimmerman (T)

DEFENSIVE LINEMEN ' Ray Childress (DT/DE), *Fred Dean (DE), *Richard Dent (DE), Chris Doleman (DE/LB), Jacob Green (DE), Charles Haley (DE/LB), Jim Jeffcoat (DE), Ed 'Too Tall' Jones (DE), Cortez Kennedy (DT), Joe Klecko (DE/DT/NT), Fred Smerlas (NT)

LINEBACKERS ' Cornelius Bennett, Matt Blair, Robert Brazile, Randy Gradishar, Kevin Greene (LB/DE), Ken Harvey, Rickey Jackson, Wilber Marshall, Clay Matthews, Karl Mecklenburg, Sam Mills, Pat Swilling, Darryl Talley, *Derrick Thomas, *Andre Tippett

DEFENSIVE BACKS ' Eric Allen (CB), Steve Atwater (S), Joey Browner (S), LeRoy Butler (S), Raymond Clayborn (CB), Nolan Cromwell (S), Kenny Easley (S), Lester Hayes (CB), Albert Lewis (CB), Ken Riley (CB), Donnie Shell (S), Louis Wright (CB)

KICKER/PUNTERS ' *Ray Guy (P), Nick Lowery (K), Reggie Roby (P)

SPECIAL TEAMS ' Elbert Shelley (S), Steve Tasker (WR)

COACHES ' Don Coryell, Tom Flores, Jimmy Johnson, Chuck Knox, Buddy Parker, Clark Shaughnessy, Ernie Zampese

CONTRIBUTORS ' K. S. 'Bud' Adams, Jr., Gil Brandt, C. O. Brocato, Leo Carlin, Ed DeBartolo, Jr., Pat Haggerty, Bob Harlan, Jerry Jones, Bucko Kilroy, Art McNally, Art Modell, Art Rooney, Jr., Ed Sabol, Steve Sabol, *Paul Tagliabue, Jim Tunney, Ralph Wilson, Jr., Ron Wolf, George Young

*On 2007 17 finalists list

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07303/829711-66.stm (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07303/829711-66.stm)

BlitzburghNation
10-30-2007, 11:38 PM
Nice read,,,,,,,,,,But I don't think any steelers will go in 08's class,,,,,,,,

Will the voters finally grow some brain cells & get ray guy in there,,,,,,,
Also art monk :popcorn:

steelersgal86
10-31-2007, 06:21 AM
nice article :bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-31-2007, 07:06 AM
If Levon or Hardy were to get in on their first year of eligibility there would be a lot of screaming, unhappy people who think they deserve to get in too. I don't think either of them will get in this year either though. It's great to see them nominated though :cope:

AZ_Steeler
10-31-2007, 01:24 PM
There are entirely to many others on that list that deserve it more that those two... it might take some time for them to get in the HOF, if they ever do! :dunno:

black an gold 4 life
10-31-2007, 02:48 PM
:gs::banana2: YEA I HAVE 2 AGREE WITH U ALL THERE R 2 MANY MORE THAT DESERVE IT MORE THAN THE 2 STEELERS ON THER NOW HOW IS ART MONK NOT N? AN RAY GUY?:banana:HOPEFULLY WE'LL GET THE STEELERS N THERE THAT NEED 2 B N THERE FROM THE 70'S 1ST

Stlrs4Life
10-31-2007, 09:09 PM
I believe Dermonti Dawson deserves it though.

MDSteel15
11-01-2007, 01:55 AM
Fella's, and ladies, tell me WHY Donnie Shell and Derrick Thomas are not in the Hall, PLEASE?!?! My God! Along with Art Monk, Darrell Green, Richmond Webb, Boomer Esiason, Andre Reed, Todd Christensen, Jay Novacek, Dermontti Dawson, Randall McDaniel, Ray Guy, Albert Lewis and Don Coryell... What are you waiting for?

NOVA STEELERS
11-02-2007, 09:06 AM
Great Article, thanks for sharing

GoBenGo
11-02-2007, 10:40 AM
Great read! IMO Dermonti gets in before them.
Man , makes you( me) feel old. Seems like these guys were just playing. I remember Metcalf as a longhorn. It just doesn't seem that long ago.lol

Prosdo
11-02-2007, 12:02 PM
I believe Dermonti Dawson deserves it though.

I completely agree. Dermonti should be in there.

BB2W
11-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Dermonti should be in... :yesnod:

I was somewhat suprised to see Kirkland on that list, He was a beast in the middle for years, but I never really considered him a Hall of Fame canidate. He played some great years and was the best run stopping linebacker in the NFL during his prime, He may not have got the national recognition he deserved. Althoght he is on the ballot now.

He also made some amazing plays off the line and in coverage that you wouldn't expect from a man his size,

Ambridge
11-05-2007, 09:30 AM
Dawson should be in the HOF but who knows when and if??
I also think Donnie Shell should be there too but I think there's been so much complaining from former 70's era Cowboy players that too many of their players have been neglected for the HOF in favor of Steeler players of that era that Donnie's chances are pretty slim.

IMO Rod Woodson will probably be the next Steeler inducted(First Ballot Selection) when he's eligible in a couple years.