PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben's elusiveness frazzles defenses

BlitzburghRockCity
10-30-2007, 12:40 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_535203.html

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, October 30, 2007

One play in 2006 epitomized the kind of hard-knock season Ben Roethlisberger endured.

Baltimore Ravens linebacker Bart Scott blitzed from Roethlisberger's blind side in a late November game and blasted the Steelers' quarterback.

Scott had such an unimpeded path to the quarterback that after the Steelers were drilled, 27-0, Roethlisberger publicly thanked Scott for not delivering the kind of hit that could have sidelined him indefinitely.

Scott and a Ravens defense that bullied the Steelers last season will visit Heinz Field on Monday night for an AFC North showdown.

Their presence is far from the only reason why Roethlisberger figures to do his share of running in the nationally televised game. Roethlisberger's ability to escape trouble and keep plays alive has added another dimension to the Steelers' offense.

That was never more evident than early in the second quarter Sunday in Cincinnati.

On a third down from the Bengals' 45-yard line, Roethlisberger was flushed from the pocket, and Cincinnati defensive tackle John Thornton grabbed him around the ankles.

Before Thornton could drag down Roethlisberger, he threw a short pass to Santonio Holmes that went for 7 yards and gave the Steelers a first down.

Six plays later, Roethlisberger threw a 6-yard touchdown pass to Hines Ward, giving the Steelers a 14-3 lead and control of the game.

"I think we are all getting comfortable with expecting those kinds of plays from him because that is what he is capable of," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said of Roethlisberger's ability to improvise. "He is tremendously talented and very smart. Generally, (he's) a great decision-maker when plays break down."

Roethlisberger is prone to the occasional bad decision, such as the third-quarter interception Sunday that resulted from his throwing across his body and into the middle of the field.

Tomlin shrugged it off after the Steelers' 24-13 win, serving as a tacit admission by the first-year coach that Roethlisberger has been so good when his protection breaks down that the Steelers are willing to live with it when he makes a mistake.

"He's doing a great job of staying alive," right tackle Willie Colon said. "That's just Ben being Ben. Ben is an athlete, and he's confident in his athletic ability."

His athleticism makes it as hard for labels as it is for opposing pass rushers to contain Roethlisberger.

At 6-foot-5, 241 pounds, Roethlisberger has the size of a classic dropback passer, but he is much more than a pocket passer, which is usually a euphemism for a big quarterback that moves about as well as a traffic jam.

Indeed, Bengals coach Marvin Lewis recently called Roethlisberger a "big Doug Flutie," comparing him to the diminutive quarterback who was so adept at escaping trouble.

Roethlisberger almost certainly will need to create some plays with his legs Monday night -- or at least keep some alive -- since the Ravens recorded 14 sacks in two games against the Steelers last season.

"I am going to watch the (Bengals' game film) and learn from some of the things I need to work on," Roethlisberger said. "I need to be a little smarter in certain situations and just make the correct throw."

Ben is really amazing in how he avoids the pressure and stays on his feet long enough to prolong plays and make something out of nothing. That throw to Holmes on 3rd down was HUGE. As he mentioned though he's got to be smarter with the ball because it's not always a bad thing to take a sack or throw it to the sidelines when you are going down but for God sakes just hang onto the ball.

black an gold 4 life
10-30-2007, 01:09 AM
what i like about what he said was i need 2 b an little smarter n certain situations, that's the first step 2 correcting the problem, 2 nd is he really has 2 work on it, u take away the int he had an good game,he will b great when he learns that he can't make an play every play,with that being said he will b the difference this monday night at home against the ratbirds, if he's smart with the ball we beat the ratbirds hands down!

dkanna
10-30-2007, 07:10 AM
It can get scary in those situations the way he holds the ball, but I have to admit that a good 70-80% of the time he surprises me and makes something good happen.

steelcurtaingal
10-30-2007, 09:05 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_535203.html

Ben is really amazing in how he avoids the pressure and stays on his feet long enough to prolong plays and make something out of nothing. That throw to Holmes on 3rd down was HUGE. As he mentioned though he's got to be smarter with the ball because it's not always a bad thing to take a sack or throw it to the sidelines when you are going down but for God sakes just hang onto the ball.

agreed, just eliminate the interceptions, and he'd be golden

NOVA STEELERS
10-30-2007, 09:30 AM
How sweet it is whenever he is grab or pulled on by a defender and Ben throws em to the wind.........

AZ_Steeler
10-30-2007, 12:29 PM
I think Ben should have a DNA test because his Dad is really Houdini! ;) :D

He always finds a way to get out of a sack, I hate seeing run around like that but at the same time Ben is more deadly when he's on the run!

BBG7
10-30-2007, 01:08 PM
He is the only quarterback in the league that I feel confident seeing him run for his life. There is something special about him and his ability to avoid being taken down and make something out of nothing.

SteelerSteve
10-30-2007, 05:44 PM
Well, as for ints go he isn't THAT bad, and I am pretty sure he has more td passes than peyton manning(wow that sounds wierd doesn't it?) I love seeing him throw linebackers off of him like they are nothing more than a highschool corner :lol: and when he runs he will lower his shoulder and take the defender on, though this does worry me it is still fun to watch. I also love the effort he gives, did you see the blocks he tried to make in the cincy game? hes no kreider, but the thing I like is that he does whatever it takes to win, hes definitley the best qb in the league, he kinda reminds me of a mix between Favre and Mcnabb.

ARKIESTEEL
10-31-2007, 06:57 AM
I for one wish he didnt have to run around in the "pocket". I wish the o-line boys would put a wall around him and give him enough time to eat a burger and drink a beer while he was trying to figure out who to throw it to.

With that said he is great at getting away from folks...

snowman79
10-31-2007, 07:49 AM
Got to agree with ARKIESTEEL on this one folks i would love the O line to give Big Ben a bit more time in the pocket, yes he can be elusive, yes he can lay a hit on people, but what happens when he does take a sore one and cant continue no need to have him take risks if he doesnt have to. Anyway nuff said Willie will run for 100 - 150 yds against the Ratbirds Steelers by 10.
Bring it on.
HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SteelerSteve
10-31-2007, 03:23 PM
Got to agree with ARKIESTEEL on this one folks i would love the O line to give Big Ben a bit more time in the pocket, yes he can be elusive, yes he can lay a hit on people, but what happens when he does take a sore one and cant continue no need to have him take risks if he doesnt have to. Anyway nuff said Willie will run for 100 - 150 yds against the Ratbirds Steelers by 10.
Bring it on.
HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hey , I totally agree with you, doesn't everybody wish we had a better pass blocking o-line. The thing is though, that Ben has the ability to make plays even with terrible protection.

Mach1
10-31-2007, 03:52 PM
Lets hope the o-line can block better this weekend or we'll be seeing a lot more of Ben running for his life in this one.

SteelerSteve
10-31-2007, 04:39 PM
Lets hope the o-line can block better this weekend or we'll be seeing a lot more of Ben running for his life in this one.No doubt, well at least Baltimore cant score anything but field goals

GoBenGo
10-31-2007, 05:02 PM
I for one wish he didnt have to run around in the "pocket". I wish the o-line boys would put a wall around him and give him enough time to eat a burger and drink a beer while he was trying to figure out who to throw it to.

With that said he is great at getting away from folks...
Say it Ark! AMen! Sickens me to watch Brady and Manning sit back in an easychair while being able to get to their 3rd and FOURTH reads! No wonder they are putting up dizzying numbers, and torching secondaries. I think , If Big had that kind of time to go unharrassed and make all his checks, we'd have 40 pts a game. Then I seethe internally, and go have a smoke.

dkanna
10-31-2007, 05:35 PM
Say it Ark! AMen! Sickens me to watch Brady and Manning sit back in an easychair while being able to get to their 3rd and FOURTH reads! No wonder they are putting up dizzying numbers, and torching secondaries. I think , If Big had that kind of time to go unharrassed and make all his checks, we'd have 40 pts a game. Then I seethe internally, and go have a smoke.

Dont forget the receivers that can pull the ball out of the sky

BB2W
10-31-2007, 10:56 PM
His ability to avoid the rush and throw on the move is his biggest physical asset in my opinion. :yesnod:

GoBenGo
11-01-2007, 12:55 AM
Dont forget the receivers that can pull the ball out of the sky
Right ! Hines is fearless and drops nothing, Holmes is playing at a whole new level now-answering the call, Washington only makes tough catches, Heath is a monster, straight money, and FW is the dagger, swing pass or screen to him is just unfair!
The talent is there, dude, it all starts with the protection . The numbers agree, when he has time , Big dices up secondaries. Abusing corners, chumptifying linebackers, and toasting safeties. :tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

SteelerSteve
11-01-2007, 01:15 AM
Right ! Hines is fearless and drops nothing, Holmes is playing at a whole new level now-answering the call, Washington only makes tough catches, Heath is a monster, straight money, and FW is the dagger, swing pass or screen to him is just unfair!
The talent is there, dude, it all starts with the protection . The numbers agree, when he has time , Big dices up secondaries. Abusing corners, chumptifying linebackers, and toasting safeties. :tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:
Easy now, you are starting to get me all pumped up :lol::lol: :cope::cope: