PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben

floodcitygirl
10-25-2007, 11:12 PM
I thought I'd pass along this article from today's paper. It was written by a friend of mine.

Big Ben gives $8K to Oxford canine unit
Steelers QB thinks fondly of MU days
BY JANICE MORSE | JMORSE@ENQUIRER.COM
E-mail | Print | digg us! | del.icio.us!

OXFORD - "Go, Bengals - and go, Ben Roethlisberger!"

Such are the conflicting loyalties of many people here - especially Oxford police officers - as this weekend's big Bengals-Steelers showdown approaches.

That's because Roethlisberger, who won local hearts as Miami University's star quarterback before joining the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2004, announced Wednesday that his charitable foundation will provide $8,000 to the Oxford police department's canine unit.

Sgt. Tom Horvath said his unit's Christmas wish list has been granted.

"We've always supported Ben, and we're very fortunate to have his foundation's support now," Horvath said. "Are we still Bengals fans? Yes. But do we also want Ben to do well? Yes."

The city's three police dogs - Dover, Simon and Scarlet - will be outfitted with bullet-resistant vests, thanks to the grant. The money also will pay for a new cage for them to ride in, and "bite sleeves" for their training, Horvath said.

In a news release, Roethlisberger said, "Oxford is a community that was so good to me during my years at Miami University ... It is important to me that Oxford remains a safe environment for students and residents." He called the money "a token of gratitude to the men and women protecting Oxford, and to the community as a whole for the experience I enjoyed."

This season, Roethlisberger's foundation solicited applications for the grants from police and fire agencies in Pittsburgh and in communities near each of the Steelers' regular-season "away" game locations.

In 2006, the foundation distributed its first grant to police in Findlay, Ohio, Roethlisberger's hometown. That money helped to replace a service dog, Flip, that was fatally shot.

The money also bought a ballistic vest for the new dog, Spike.

AZ_Steeler
10-26-2007, 03:03 AM
Didn't he donate a dog or something to Cleveland as well??? :scratch:

floodcitygirl
10-26-2007, 09:45 AM
Didn't he donate a dog or something to Cleveland as well??? :scratch:Yep. He donates cash to the canine units of a police dept for whatever they need in every city he plays in. My understanding is that in most cases, the canine units are at the bottom of the budget totem pole. These dogs are amazing and save people from injury and death. They deserve to be protected.

GoBenGo
10-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Yep. He donates cash to the canine units of a police dept for whatever they need in every city he plays in. My understanding is that in most cases, the canine units are at the bottom of the budget totem pole. These dogs are amazing and save people from injury and death. They deserve to be protected.
This is just part of what makes Ben so special! He has two gorgeous dogs of his own; Herc and Zeus. A Greater Swiss Mountain Dog and a Rottweiler.
You can't manufacture character like that.
Just another reason I am a huge fan.
It just keeps gettin' better.
Thanks again Mr Rooney for bringing him here. We are truly blessed.

(standing)
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::c lap::clap::clap:
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::c lap::clap::clap:

Not the type of man that does hot-dog ads that's for sure!

AZ_Steeler
10-26-2007, 01:13 PM
That's pretty cool of Ben to do that... I had no idea he did it in every city he played in though! That's awesome!!!!

:clap:

black an gold 4 life
10-26-2007, 01:24 PM
yea 2 do it n every city he plays n wow but he has the money 2 do it so it doesn't surprise me.

Prosdo
10-26-2007, 01:40 PM
Way to go Ben! That's a great thing to do.

GoBenGo
10-26-2007, 03:07 PM
That's pretty cool of Ben to do that... I had no idea he did it in every city he played in though! That's awesome!!!!

:clap:
Yeah, costs can range up to 14k for the dog and training, which takes about 9 months. My best friend is an officer here in De., would not trade his partner for anyone!!
A man who loves dogs, is a better man because of it.
Ben would be a great QB just based on athletic ability, and physical gifts.
It is his off-field actions, and demeanor that define and solidify the special person he is.
man, I hope he is a Steeler for ever.:tt02: