PDA

View Full Version : The Mechanics of Big Ben

GoBenGo
10-23-2007, 04:03 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/story/7226384
FSN is now airing a Sports Science show featuring our Big Ben!Scientifically anylizing the best QB in the NFL. It was real good, real informative. Ben even said he was suprided at the findings. They break down drop-back speed, arm speed, rush time, etc with sensors and computers and all kinds of high tech stuff like that!
It is only abot 20 min long but well worth it.( if your a Ben fan, but I guess if you're not, you're not reading this)
Great Video, Highly recommend.
:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-23-2007, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the 411 on the story ! Is there a list as to when they will air it again?

Ben was not a 1st round draft pick for nothing. We haven't had a franchise QB since Bradshaw and I couldn't be happier with Ben as our QB. The only thing that really bugs me about him and it's not such mechanics, well it is some I guess...is when he's under pressure and about to get sacked he won't throw the damn thing away he'll hold it out like a loaf of bread till the last possible second and then run the risk of fumbling like he did in the Denver game. That drives me nuts. Either hold onto the ball and take the sack or throw it away but do something beside holding it out inviting a defender to knock it away.

black an gold 4 life
10-23-2007, 09:36 PM
my only problem with ben is his arm strength, did they test that? oh an another thing i like that he tries real hard 2 make plays but when there's no where 2 go take the sack or throw it away ben, i believe he can b an franchise qb he has 2 mature alittle more that's all, come on ben get it 2gether,GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!

SteelerSteve
10-23-2007, 10:34 PM
my only problem with ben is his arm strength, did they test that? oh an another thing i like that he tries real hard 2 make plays but when there's no where 2 go take the sack or throw it away ben, i believe he can b an franchise qb he has 2 mature alittle more that's all, come on ben get it 2gether,GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!I dont know, I have always seen Ben as a guy with a very good arm, I think some people think that because he doesn't try to laser it every play but when he does you can definitley tell.

AZ_Steeler
10-31-2007, 01:40 PM
I got to see this episode last night and I gotta say I was really impressed. For Ben to take a step drop and fire the ball down field it takes him 1.5 seconds. They had some mechanism that could track his eye movement and during the drop back his eyes are scanning the field processing everything faster than Hawk if I remember correctly. On top of that his arm speed moving at roughly 82/84 MPH and the RPM rate was ridiculous!

Basically what they found out is if a DE comes untouched off the corner Ben doesn't have the time to release the ball, HOWEVER if the lineman can push the rushing DE 12 inches off his direct path to the QB then Ben has just enough time to get rid of the ball.

It was really good stuff! :bigthumb:

SteelerSteve
10-31-2007, 04:19 PM
I got to see this episode last night and I gotta say I was really impressed. For Ben to take a step drop and fire the ball down field it takes him 1.5 seconds. They had some mechanism that could track his eye movement and during the drop back his eyes are scanning the field processing everything faster than Hawk if I remember correctly. On top of that his arm speed moving at roughly 82/84 MPH and the RPM rate was ridiculous!

Basically what they found out is if a DE comes untouched off the corner Ben doesn't have the time to release the ball, HOWEVER if the lineman can push the rushing DE 12 inches off his direct path to the QB then Ben has just enough time to get rid of the ball.

It was really good stuff! :bigthumb: Is it going to be on again? if so is it on fox, or is there another channel for fox sports?

AZ_Steeler
10-31-2007, 06:05 PM
It's on fox sports... I'm sure they will play it again just check your listing for "Sports Science"

dkanna
10-31-2007, 06:32 PM
its on tonight at 9 pm

GoBenGo
10-31-2007, 06:47 PM

It was really good stuff! :bigthumb:
right on dude, ! I am glad you saw it, hope everyone does. Sick Mechanics and ability , huh! amazing what the length of a football means!
Speaking of eye movement. see during the game how he looked at hines (twice), and holmes, when approaching the line for the play? I hope he is not developing a " tell " . I mean, the announcers pointed it out, and saw it. They even showed it on the replay freeze screen. Maybe I am jousting windmills.
You guys thaat haven't found it yet it is on FSN (fox sports network) . I have Direct Tv and have a couple of dozen FSN channels , including Pittsburgh's (which rocks! my players in my commercials, and my player news!, eff Philthidephia)!
Find it , you won't regret it.
:popcorn:

SteelerSteve
11-01-2007, 02:19 AM
right on dude, ! I am glad you saw it, hope everyone does. Sick Mechanics and ability , huh! amazing what the length of a football means!
Speaking of eye movement. see during the game how he looked at hines (twice), and holmes, when approaching the line for the play? I hope he is not developing a " tell " . I mean, the announcers pointed it out, and saw it. They even showed it on the replay freeze screen. Maybe I am jousting windmills.
You guys thaat haven't found it yet it is on FSN (fox sports network) . I have Direct Tv and have a couple of dozen FSN channels , including Pittsburgh's (which rocks! my players in my commercials, and my player news!, eff Philthidephia)!
:popcorn:What channel is it on directtv

BlitzburghRockCity
11-01-2007, 07:06 AM

FSN Pittsburgh always has great Steelers coverage, especially after the games !

I did notice what you mentioned as well. When Ben walked up to the line on the first TD he threw to Ben, he glanced over at him and then once the ball was snapped he looked away once and then zero'd right in on Hines for the TD. That is something that he needs to be aware of because tipping your hat before a play, even for a split second is something that any good defense will take notice of and try to exploit.

steelersgal86
11-01-2007, 08:01 AM
. I have Direct Tv and have a couple of dozen FSN channels , including Pittsburgh's (which rocks! my players in my commercials, and my player news!, eff Philthidephia)!

You have a pittsburgh channel on Direct TV??? I have direct tv and I dont think I do...what channel????

GoBenGo
11-01-2007, 10:15 AM
You have a pittsburgh channel on Direct TV??? I have direct tv and I dont think I do...what channel????
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/packProg/channelChart2.jsp?assetId=1200082 It is in the sports pack. I have a Fox Sports Pittsburgh. Plus alot of college coverage. Like Ncaa wrestling, which was never on when I competed!
Great package, if you don't have it, call them and they can set it up, or enable you immediately.:bigthumb:

ARKIESTEEL
11-01-2007, 11:42 AM
Its 628 down here in Arkansas...........

GoBenGo
11-01-2007, 12:12 PM
Its 628 down here in Arkansas...........

SOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEE EE!
GO RAZORBACKS!
I think it is 641 here in Delawhere!

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------

FSN Pittsburgh always has great Steelers coverage, especially after the games !

I did notice what you mentioned as well. When Ben walked up to the line on the first TD he threw to Ben, he glanced over at him and then once the ball was snapped he looked away once and then zero'd right in on Hines for the TD. That is something that he needs to be aware of because tipping your hat before a play, even for a split second is something that any good defense will take notice of and try to exploit.
He did it before two of the passes to Ward and the one to Holmes. Booth guys showed the screen cap, from before the play after the huddle break. Looked all three times. They said it was a confidence thing, knowing you have the right play. But if they saw it, the guys who get paid to stop it, surely will pick it up.

SteelerSteve
11-02-2007, 08:40 PM
I just saw it, it was wicked awesome :lol:
lol at making luis castillo cry

GoBenGo
11-03-2007, 04:14 PM
:bigthumb:
I just saw it, it was wicked awesome :lol:
lol at making luis castillo cry:bigthumb: