PDA

View Full Version : Steelers nearing elite status

SteelersWoman
10-19-2007, 01:09 PM
http://www.c-n.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071017/SPORTS01/710170371/1011

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Friday, October 19, 2007

Mike Tomlin is not a self-promoter and he defers any analysis about how good the Pittsburgh Steelers are to others. That didn't prevent the rookie head coach from displaying a smidgen of confidence — or maybe a lot of faith in his players — when asked if the undefeated Patriots and Colts should be getting all the attention in the AFC.

The Steelers (4-1) lost at Arizona 21-14 last month in their only sub-par game, but still have a 132-47 scoring edge for the season. The 47 points allowed in five games are their fewest in 70 years.

Obviously, the Steelers have been very good, with a chance to go 5-1 for only the second time in 10 years if they win Sunday at Denver. For them, the only problem is the Patriots (6-0) and Colts (5-0) have been better, and that's been enough to push the Steelers off the front page.

"We don't worry about the variables that don't matter, whether or not we're flying above the radar, under the radar or who's doing what," Tomlin said Tuesday. "We focus on the things we can control and that's our preparation and our quality of play, and what we do when we walk into stadiums on weekends."

The Steelers will find out in less than two months how they compare to New England, as they play the Patriots on Dec. 9 in Foxborough. The Colts? They'll have to wait.

"If we're as good as maybe we think we are, we'll run across some of those teams at some point," Tomlin said, an obvious reference to the postseason. "In the short term, we need to focus on being prepared to play the Denver Broncos."

Tomlin is concerned the Broncos' bye week allowed them to get away — at least mentally — and regroup from a three-game losing streak that included a 41-3 home-field loss to San Diego on Oct. 7.

"It is a dangerous time to be facing them because they are a quality football team," Tomlin said. "They are 2-3 right now, but that is not the story of this football team. They are still writing their story, as are we."

SteelerSteve
10-19-2007, 01:16 PM
Personally, i think we are better than the colts, and I think we need to play the Pats first before I decide. I have a gut feeling that we will beat the Pats up when we play them though.:tt02: Baldinger and Sterling Sharpe are the only media members I have heard say they think the Steelers can go into foxborough and beat the Pats. Not trying to look past the broncos but I cant wait for that game:cope::cope:

steelcurtaingal
10-19-2007, 01:21 PM
Personally, i think we are better than the colts, and I think we need to play the Pats first before I decide. I have a gut feeling that we will beat the Pats up when we play them though.:tt02: Baldinger and Sterling Sharpe are the only media members I have heard say they think the Steelers can go into foxborough and beat the Pats. Not trying to look past the broncos but I cant wait for that game:cope::cope:

that game will be our real test to see if we are such a good team, alot of ppl, including koop, and my mom dont think we can win. I think we can, withthe right circumstances.

ARKIESTEEL
10-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Didnt need a news man to tell me that..............

SteelerSteve
10-19-2007, 01:32 PM
that game will be our real test to see if we are such a good team, alot of ppl, including koop, and my mom dont think we can win. I think we can, withthe right circumstances.Agreed, I know the Pats are a good football team, I dont just think we can win, I know we can win. I also dont think that trying to stop the Pats offense is the key either. We know what we have on defense, and there is a reason we havent allowed hardly any points this year, we make teams scared to play:stirpot: The real key to this game imo is offense, can we run against them? I think so and running opens up the playaction pass, which I think Ben is awesome at. We have a big play reciever in holmes, and Ward wont be pushed around by anyone including Rodney Harrison. The way I see it, can we run? check, can we stop the run? check. Those are the keys to winning

BBG7
10-19-2007, 01:51 PM

I've heard quite a few predicting the Pats go 15-1 and their only loss is to us. But that's besides the point. We need to cross that bridge when it comes. Like Tomlin said, Denver is the next game on the list.

K Train
10-19-2007, 02:03 PM
nearing elite status after not playing for 2 weeks....sweet lol

SteelersWoman
10-19-2007, 02:21 PM
Baldinger and Sterling Sharpe are the only media members I have heard say they think the Steelers can go into foxborough and beat the Pats. ...

They also mentioned that we're being overlooked (like what else is new :lol:) by everyone else in the media--but that's ok :greengrin:

I watched a show a few days ago with Rich Eisen--and not once, but TWICE (in the space of 10 minutes) he said something about the Seahawks being shut out, and never ONCE said who it was that shut them out!

Had it been the Pats or the Colts, you KNOW he woulda said as much. Oh well, I guess we all know Rich isn't a Steelers fan, but I still like the show lol

Speaking of which, does anyone have a clue which team IS his favorite? With the disdain and disrepect he shows us, it almost would appear to be on of our rival teams, or perhaps it's just that we're "blue collar"?

SteelerSteve
10-19-2007, 03:41 PM
They also mentioned that we're being overlooked (like what else is new :lol:) by everyone else in the media--but that's ok :greengrin:

I watched a show a few days ago with Rich Eisen--and not once, but TWICE (in the space of 10 minutes) he said something about the Seahawks being shut out, and never ONCE said who it was that shut them out!

Had it been the Pats or the Colts, you KNOW he woulda said as much. Oh well, I guess we all know Rich isn't a Steelers fan, but I still like the show lol

Speaking of which, does anyone have a clue which team IS his favorite? With the disdain and disrepect he shows us, it almost would appear to be on of our rival teams, or perhaps it's just that we're "blue collar"? I think he has been bitching about michigan losing to appalachian st. ever since it happened:lol: I hate how he always rubs the "steely mcbeem pride" in woodson's face, is he trying to be funny? I know steely mcbeem is pretty rediculous, but c'mon. It's like he is trying to take shots against us, I think it would be funny if Woodson kicked his *** on set:lol:

K Train
10-19-2007, 03:43 PM
i think hes a lions "fan" watch him some time...it makes sense

SteelerSteve
10-19-2007, 03:47 PM
i think hes a lions "fan" watch him some time...it makes sense
Interesting thought, detroit is where? oh thats right MICHIGAN:lol: I think he might be a patsies fan to though, cause he seems like the type that would jump to the team with all the hype. OR he may not even like football, and is doing it for money:yesnod:

black an gold 4 life
10-19-2007, 04:40 PM
with the way we play defense now we can match up with anyone on any sunday!!!!!!!!all we have 2 do is play steeler football an we will win, we shouldn't worry about how we match up with teams, but rather teams should b worrying how they match up with us!!!!!!! GO STEELERS

K Train
10-19-2007, 04:43 PM
Interesting thought, detroit is where? oh thats right MICHIGAN:lol: I think he might be a patsies fan to though, cause he seems like the type that would jump to the team with all the hype. OR he may not even like football, and is doing it for money:yesnod:

lol touche, i didnt even read your post about michigan, we must be right lol

Black@Gold Forever32
10-19-2007, 04:56 PM
Articles like this are stupid....There is only one elite team in the whole league and thats the team that wins the big game at the end of the year called the Super Bowl.......If you're not first you're last...lol

SteelerSteve
10-19-2007, 05:06 PM
we must be right lol DUH :lol:

Stlrs4Life
10-19-2007, 10:46 PM
With our offense still not quite there yet, I believe we are far from elite status. Sorry.

SteelerSteve
10-20-2007, 12:52 AM
With our offense still not quite there yet, I believe we are far from elite status. Sorry.Aww, you just had to bring us back to reality didn't ya :lol:

BlitzburghNation
10-20-2007, 01:05 AM
Just week #7 and we are the Shiat 'huh" :haha:

I'll wait till around week #11 and decide how good we are,,,,,,,,,

But I am loving what i've seen so far :bigthumb:

SteelersWoman
10-20-2007, 04:50 AM
Just week #7 and we are the Shiat 'huh" :haha:..

Ummm, no, that would be the Pats and the Colts lol

But comparing us to where we were this time LAST year, I'll take it :bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-20-2007, 06:01 AM
Compared to last year at this time yes we are definitely elite :lol:

Calling us elite as a general statement about our football though, I wouldn't go that far. I don't think anybody is elite yet, now maybe in December as teams head into the playoffs and you see who separates themselves as the contender and who is just the pretenders then maybe you can say that this team or that team is one of the elite of the NFL but right now, no way.

NOVA STEELERS
10-23-2007, 07:10 AM
After the results from Sunday Night, need to re-start the fire under the arse.....