PDA

View Full Version : Parker targets Broncos pourus defense....

Stlrs4Life
10-17-2007, 10:31 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_533213.html?source=rss&feed=9

By Scott Brown (sbrown@tribweb.com)
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Willie Parker hung out with Denver Broncos cornerback Dre' Bly last weekend in Chapel Hill, N.C.
The two used their respective teams' bye week to rest, catch up and, of course, talk a little trash. The Steelers visit the Broncos on Sunday.
"The only thing I told him," Parker said, "is I'm going to run him over in the open field."
The former University of North Carolina products could meet often in the Broncos' secondary, because Denver's first line of defense hasn't been much of a defense at all.
story continues below

The Broncos have been the worst team in the NFL at stopping the run -- they are allowing almost 188 rushing yards per game -- and porous play up front is a major reason why they are in the midst of a three-game losing streak.
"I told the wide receivers and (offensive coordinator) Bruce (Arians) that I am going to get my throws in before practice because it might be the last throwing I do all week," Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. "They are susceptible to the run and we run well, so I am sure that is what we are going to feature."
Parker has gained 507 rushing yards and should get more than the 14 carries had he in the Steelers' 31-20 loss to the Broncos last season.
"We can play better than we're playing," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said, "and if we don't play better, we'll get embarrassed by a great rushing offense."
Parker said it isn't a foregone conclusion that the Steelers will run the ball at will on the Broncos. "They've got five Pro Bowlers over there," Parker said. "I don't know what's the problem, but they're going to get together sooner or later. I hope they don't get it together this week."

Does anybody else take those comments from Ben the wrong way? Like it is a little bit too cocky? Or is it just me reading it the wrong way?

AZ_Steeler
10-17-2007, 11:04 PM
I don't think he's being cocky... :dunno: everybody who watches any football know the Steelers are going to run it so he's just stating the obvious... unless of course that is just a ploy ;)

BBG7
10-17-2007, 11:05 PM
Not really...he's telling the truth. I'm sure we are going to run all day on the Broncos and he won't get to pass much. They are ranked last inthe league in stopping the run and the Steelers will try to take advantage of that...it's not really a secret.

SteelersWoman
10-18-2007, 12:28 AM
I didn't sense cockiness at all--it's apparent by the stats that the Broncos can't stop the run, so he's just saying that he won't be/won't have to do much throwing. Unless (of course) they "get it together" (as Willie said). Then I'm sure Ben will revert to throwin more if he has to.

BR7
10-18-2007, 12:59 AM
Thats what they all thought in the AFCC game vs them a few years ago.. Steelers are gonna run.. to bad they forgot about Ben.. lol

I see it as a ploy. I think Ben is gonna have one of his best games yet Sunday night.

BBG7
10-18-2007, 01:22 AM
Thats what they all thought in the AFCC game vs them a few years ago.. Steelers are gonna run.. to bad they forgot about Ben.. lol

I see it as a ploy. I think Ben is gonna have one of his best games yet Sunday night.

hey I wouldn't mind your theory at all!!!!

black an gold 4 life
10-18-2007, 01:49 AM
yea br7 i c it as an ploy also denver will stack the line, so i think ben will come out throwing, but he still shouldn't say things like that 2 give the other team bulletin bord material, so now the team has 2 rally around what ben said an take it 2 the broncos

BR7
10-18-2007, 01:57 AM
I dont see that as BB material for Denver. Its not like he said we were gonna wipe the floor with them. Well, maybe not to the AP, lol.

steelcitysfinestXL
10-18-2007, 02:36 AM
No not cockyness, maybe a ploy but i think DEN knows/remembers that Ben can toss the rock around!!! By now most teams should know that last year was an off year. It Took a HOF effort by Walker, and i dont know 5...6 Pit TOs to beat us in a close game... with Plummer!!!! i dont see Cutler having major success against us... matter of fact he may not even finish this one!!!! Their D is not tackling well, and their front 7 is getting blown off the ball. They're tied at 24th with us in INTs, this DEF is not very good at all. Bly, has been suspect and injured! Bailey is nicked up a lil!! Lynch, well he's old, still hits like a truck, but he cant cover my 245lb ***!!! Ferguson can be exploited. To say the least we should not be affraid of this D, not when we play the Ravens twice a year!!! They have too many problems to fix in a week. The really didnt do anything in the off season to help their D other than aquiring Bly after the death of Williams. DJ Williams is out of place at inside backer and is gonna get ate up by Mehan, Big red and Simmons. That leaves Ian Gold the lone play maker. good luck buddy!!! A healthy rotation of DAV and FWP they could both get 100+... NOW THAT WOULD BE SICK!!!! Hey LT and the Burner almost did it 2 weeks ago, so we can do it!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-18-2007, 07:10 AM
I hate it when we give BB material to another team. Even if it wasn't meant that way you can bet right now that statement is hanging somewhere in their locker room and practice facility. They will be up for stopping the run so Ben better be prepared to throw it like he usually does and keep our offense balanced.

SteelerSal
10-18-2007, 08:40 AM

Bingo!! I would not be surprised if the first play is a play action pass and Ben tries to hit Holmes deep.
With Davenport not playing this week because of his off the field problems, Willie should get more carries and has a great chance to get 150+ yards this weekend providing we keep the Bronco's in check and we are not playing from behind.

Dee Mca
10-18-2007, 11:40 AM
If we have another game like we did against the Seahawks( Time Of Pos.Us- 40:45 to Them-19:15 ). Ben can have his career day and Willie can have his career day.

floodcitygirl
10-18-2007, 12:10 PM
[QUOTE=SteelerSal;153905]
With Davenport not playing this week because of his off the field problems, /QUOTE]WAIT????!!! How did I miss this? I just read somewhere last night that Davenport would be playing. Link or something, please!

BBG7
10-18-2007, 12:12 PM
With Davenport not playing this week because of his off the field problems, /QUOTE]WAIT????!!! How did I miss this? I just read somewhere last night that Davenport would be playing. Link or something, please!

I know...I haven't heard a thing about Davenport not playing. He was released on bail????

floodcitygirl
10-18-2007, 12:23 PM
[QUOTE=floodcitygirl;153937]

I know...I haven't heard a thing about Davenport not playing. He was released on bail????Yeah. That's what I read and he doesn't have to be back in court until November sometime. I read a quote from Tomlin saying he'd be playing this Sunday and that his off field problems wouldn't keep him away at all. Sorry, I was at work and don't remember where I saw it. I can't even get on our home page from there any more. :banging:

GoBenGo
10-18-2007, 02:19 PM
:popcorn:
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_533213.html?source=rss&feed=9

By Scott Brown (sbrown@tribweb.com)
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Willie Parker hung out with Denver Broncos cornerback Dre' Bly last weekend in Chapel Hill, N.C.
The two used their respective teams' bye week to rest, catch up and, of course, talk a little trash. The Steelers visit the Broncos on Sunday.
"The only thing I told him," Parker said, "is I'm going to run him over in the open field."
The former University of North Carolina products could meet often in the Broncos' secondary, because Denver's first line of defense hasn't been much of a defense at all.
story continues below

The Broncos have been the worst team in the NFL at stopping the run -- they are allowing almost 188 rushing yards per game -- and porous play up front is a major reason why they are in the midst of a three-game losing streak.
"I told the wide receivers and (offensive coordinator) Bruce (Arians) that I am going to get my throws in before practice because it might be the last throwing I do all week," Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. "They are susceptible to the run and we run well, so I am sure that is what we are going to feature."
Parker has gained 507 rushing yards and should get more than the 14 carries had he in the Steelers' 31-20 loss to the Broncos last season.
"We can play better than we're playing," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said, "and if we don't play better, we'll get embarrassed by a great rushing offense."
Parker said it isn't a foregone conclusion that the Steelers will run the ball at will on the Broncos. "They've got five Pro Bowlers over there," Parker said. "I don't know what's the problem, but they're going to get together sooner or later. I hope they don't get it together this week."

Does anybody else take those comments from Ben the wrong way? Like it is a little bit too cocky? Or is it just me reading it the wrong way?
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWW
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIGHHHHHHHHT!
sTORM'S A COMING MA, GRAB THE KIDS!
Time to walk the walk!:rockon:
"They've got five Pro Bowlers over there," Parker said. "I don't know what's the problem, but they're going to get together sooner or later. I hope they don't get it together this week."
:crossfingers: me too , Fast, me too:yesnod:
Here's to bad juju in the donkey's direction!

SteelersWoman
10-18-2007, 04:08 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_533238.html

These Broncos hardly resemble the team that won in Pittsburgh 31-20 last season, and that's what worries the Steelers.

"If we look past this game, and look to whoever we have next week, we're idiots," Roethlisberger said. "We need to focus on this defense and this team."
Roethlisberger can't believe a defense stocked with players such as cornerback Champ Bailey, safety John Lynch and defensive end Simeon Rice will keep playing as badly as it has.

The Broncos are allowing 187.6 yards rushing, or nearly 40 yards per game, more than all but one other team. "A lot of people make a big deal that this team is no good, well, actually they're pretty good," Roethlisberger said. "Just because they've given up a lot of rushing yards doesn't make them not a good defense. They've got a lot of big-name guys, especially in the secondary, and they get after it. We're going to have to have our best game to be productive.".....

AFTER this statement (in the same article) is when he stated the "run the ball comment".

No BB material here--he was giving pretty good praise for the team. He probably knows they're a lot like we were last year--just because we had an off "season" didn't mean we didn't get it together pretty darn well a few times.

SteelerSal
10-18-2007, 05:35 PM

My bad I miss read about Davenport, he will be playing Sunday.:bigthumb:

I hope I don't get shot for giving out wrong info.:dunno::lol:

floodcitygirl
10-18-2007, 05:49 PM

My bad I miss read about Davenport, he will be playing Sunday.:bigthumb:

I hope I don't get shot for giving out wrong info.:dunno::lol:Whew! We'll let it slide this time....but watch it! :poke: lol

K Train
10-18-2007, 07:08 PM
its cocky and i love it, cockyness is confidence

BBG7
10-18-2007, 07:55 PM

I hope I don't get shot for giving out wrong info.:dunno::lol:

:postal:haha just kidding. :bigthumb:

steelcurtaingal
10-18-2007, 09:26 PM
its never cocky if its true:redcool: