PDA

View Full Version : Injury update for Denver game....

BBG7
10-16-2007, 12:35 PM
KDKA) PITTSBURGH It's back to the grindstone for the Pittsburgh Steelers now that the bye week has passed.

The Steelers play the Denver Broncos in a Sunday night game this weekend.

At today's weekly news conference, Coach Mike Tomlin had good news on the injury front.

He says Hines Ward is fine and will practice tomorrow and play on Sunday.

Casey Hampton will participate in limited practice tomorrow but the team is still monitoring his hamstring.

They are hopeful he will be ready for Sunday's game.

Jeremy Tuman is questionable for Sunday because he is having back spasms.

Bryant McFadden is doubtful with a high ankle sprain.

http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_289122455.html

good news about Ward...nothing on Troy (which should be good news also - no news is usually good news)

I hope Hampton is a go, but I think we will be ok if he needs to rest a little longer

black an gold 4 life
10-16-2007, 01:17 PM
man i just hope an pray everone gets healthy 4 this second 11 game run we r about 2 go on, we need 2 seperate our selves from the rat birds, an the rest of the league we have 2 keep up with the cheaters, an colts, honestly i think we can beat everyone on the schedule, the only games that really concern me is the cheaters, an the jags.....................i want 2 c how big ben will handle that blitz that worked so well 4 the jags last year,i'm surprised more teams haven't blitz us like the cards an jags did,an i'm not looking ahead but i do believe if we play the way we have played so far we should beat the broncos,bungirls,an the RATBIRDS!!!!!!!!!! also if mike is this good now steelers fans just imagine what he will do 4 the black an gold n years 2 come can u say the only team with 8 superbowls...................GO STEELERS

BlitzburghRockCity
10-16-2007, 01:54 PM
The fact that he didn't mention Troy more than likely means he's fine. He said he could have played if the coach would have let him play in the Seattle game, but he was still pretty hurt at the time.

Great news on Ward for sure. Hoke is a great replacement for Casey but the DL suffers in the depth dept when he's not in because they only have 5 guys to rotate in and out so hopefully we get him back soon.

I was afraid McFadden's ankle wouldn't be ready yet, those things take forever to heal.

floodcitygirl
10-16-2007, 02:46 PM
Not to be a pessimist, but I think I'll wait until game day, to see who's playing this time.

K Train
10-16-2007, 02:52 PM
what about holmes?

BBG7
10-16-2007, 02:55 PM
Two weeks ago the Steelers injury report was littered with Pro Bowl players who would miss the game against the Seahawks.

But, with an extra week to heal courtesy of a perfectly timed bye week, look for many of the players to be back in action this week against the Denver Broncos.

Wide receiver Hines Ward, who missed the last two games with a knee injury, will return to action on Sunday night in Denver.

“He is going to be fine,” said head coach Mike Tomlin. “He is going to practice (Wednesday). All tests to this point have been very positive. I know he is excited about being back in there as we are about having him back in there.”

Also returning to action will be safety Troy Polamalu, who missed the Seahawks game with an abdomen injury, and wide receiver Santonio Holmes, who suffered a hamstring injury in pregame warm-ups before the Seattle game.

“They are going to be fine,” said Tomlin. “They are not even listed as issues on the injury report. We expect those guys to go. I think they are going to be good.”

Nose tackle Casey Hampton is going to be limited in practice on Wednesday, but Tomlin still thinks there is potential he will return to action on Sunday.

“We are going to continue to monitor him and his hamstring throughout the early portion of this week,” said Tomlin. “We are hopeful that by the end he will be ready to go.”

Cornerback Bryant McFadden is doubtful this week with a high ankle sprain, an injury that can be a nagging one for a player.

“You know how those injuries are,” said Tomlin. “We anticipated it being a couple of weeks and it has been. We’ll see where he is but right now we are doubtful with him.”

Tight end Jerame Tuman is questionable at this point with back spasms that will limit him early in the week, but he has not been ruled out for the game.

The Steelers returned to work for team and position meetings on Monday refreshed from time off following their bye week and ready to tackle the challenges that lay ahead of them the remainder of the season.

The first challenge will be playing on the road at Denver on Sunday. The Steelers last road outing this season resulted in their only loss to date, falling 21-14 at Arizona, and Tomlin does not want a repeat performance.

“We talked about having an opportunity to respond to our last road outing,” said Tomlin. “That was the focus of our meeting. The last time we played on the road we didn’t feel like we played up to our standards. I threw that challenge out to our football team that we are going into a hostile environment this weekend to say the least and we have to be prepared to be at our best.”

http://news.steelers.com/article/83239/

SteelerSal
10-16-2007, 05:48 PM
Bye week could'nt of come at a better time.
Let's hope we have an injury free the rest of the way.:bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-16-2007, 05:59 PM
That was a big key to our SB run a couple years ago, we were healthy for the most part the entire rest of the way after starting out 7-5. We're going to need every available body so yes this bye week definitely came at the right time.

kgreen
10-16-2007, 08:31 PM
what about holmes?

I think he's fine. He might just have tweaked his Hamstring a little.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-19-2007, 06:06 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07292/826720-66.stm

Friday, October 19, 2007
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Pro Bowl nose tackle Casey Hampton returned to practice yesterday and said he intends to play Sunday against the Denver Broncos. He also said he's not worried about having any breathing problems in the mile-high altitude.

"I'm going to be tired regardless," Hampton said. "It ain't like I'm running 100-yard sprints."

Perhaps, although Hampton's teammates are teasing the 320-pound nose tackle that he might have problems merely running off the field. Hampton comes out of the game in most third-down situations.

"That's a 50-yard sprint for him coming off the field," linebacker Clark Haggans said.

Hampton did not play in the Oct. 7 game against Seattle because of a hamstring injury. He sat out practice during the open week and made his return yesterday, taking his usual rotation with the first-team defense.

"I'm going to try to play," Hampton said. "If I feel like I can go and contribute, I'll play. If I can't, I won't."

Nickel back Bryant McFadden (ankle sprain) was limited in practice and is not expected to play against the Broncos.

Tight end Jerame Tuman (back spasms) missed practice for the second day in a row.

Wide receiver out

Broncos wide receiver Javon Walker, who caught two touchdowns and scored on a 72-yard reverse in last year's game at Heinz Field, is scheduled to have arthroscopic knee surgery today in Houston and will not play against the Steelers.

Walker practiced two days this week after missing the past two games with swelling in his knee.

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said he was a "little surprised" by Walker's latest setback because he practiced at full speed Monday.

He will be replaced in the starting lineup by Brandon Stokley.

I can't imagine that Casey would play all that much but it's good to know that he'll be available and hopefully can get out on the field and be in the rotation. I just hope he's not rushing back before that hamstring is healed enough.

floodcitygirl
10-19-2007, 10:08 AM
Tight end Jerame Tuman (back spasms) missed practice for the second day in a row.

Back spasms? Why would that keep you from doing your job? It's not like a pulled muscle or anything? Am I not understanding his injury? I know that I had neck spasms after a car accident along with soft tissue damage....still had to work and function. Admittedly not in a job like his, but even so???

K Train
10-19-2007, 02:08 PM
back spasms are terrible

floodcitygirl
10-19-2007, 05:21 PM
back spasms are terribleWell that explains it?! :dunno:

K Train
10-19-2007, 05:23 PM
your welcome :yesnod:

floodcitygirl
10-19-2007, 05:29 PM
From reading a couple of threads it seems a few of you guys are in a mood today?! :grouphug:

K Train
10-19-2007, 05:33 PM
im not in a mood lol, i was giving out cyber hugs lol

SteelersWoman
10-19-2007, 06:41 PM

Back spasms? Why would that keep you from doing your job? It's not like a pulled muscle or anything? Am I not understanding his injury? I know that I had neck spasms after a car accident along with soft tissue damage....still had to work and function. Admittedly not in a job like his, but even so???

http://www.csmc.edu/5694.html

Back Spasm:
A spasm is a spontaneous, abnormal contraction of a muscle. When it occurs in the back near the spinal cord or the nerve roots, it can be very painful...

It goes on to say that it's a tear (with bleeding) of the muscle.

floodcitygirl
10-20-2007, 12:43 AM
http://www.csmc.edu/5694.html

Back Spasm:
A spasm is a spontaneous, abnormal contraction of a muscle. When it occurs in the back near the spinal cord or the nerve roots, it can be very painful...

It goes on to say that it's a tear (with bleeding) of the muscle.Thanks very much, SW. Makes more sense now.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-20-2007, 06:06 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07293/827038-66.stm

Saturday, October 20, 2007

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Cornerback Bryant McFadden has participated on a limited basis every day at practice, but he is not expected to play tomorrow in Denver -- the second game in a row he will miss with a high ankle sprain.

McFadden, the team's nickel back, said he is hoping to return for the Oct. 28 game in Cincinnati. He will be replaced in the substitution packages by rookie cornerback William Gay.

"My progress is better than I thought," said McFadden, who is listed as doubtful on the team's official injury report. "I'll do the rehab and get treatment for another week and, hopefully, be back for Cincinnati."

McFadden said he had never had an ankle injury before he was hurt making a tackle in the Sept. 30 game in Arizona.

Backup tight end Jerame Tuman (back spasms) also is listed as doubtful, but he hasn't practiced all week.

"But I'm still not listed as out, so there's a chance," Tuman said. "I'm definitely hoping to play."

Nose tackle Casey Hampton practiced for the second day in a row and will start against the Broncos.

I didn't think McFadden would be back this week but I was sure hoping he would, those high ankle sprains can be devestating but he's showing good improvement from what we hear so hopefully next weekend. :crossfingers:

SteelersWoman
10-21-2007, 06:58 PM
Just heard at 6:52 that Champ Bailey will NOT be playing tonight.

BlackGold4vr
10-21-2007, 07:26 PM
Just heard at 6:52 that Champ Bailey will NOT be playing tonight.

That is one of the few match-ups that favored them. Not good for the Broncos.

:helmet: