PDA

View Full Version : 20 years since the strike.....

Deb
10-15-2007, 10:32 PM
20 years since the strike.....
http://www.hollywoodjesus.com/movie/replacements/mcginty-shane.jpg

The 1987 season was the 68th regular NFL season. A 24-day players' strike reduced the 16-game season to 15. The games that were scheduled for the third week of the season were canceled, but the games for weeks 4-6 were played with replacement players.

It turned the football world upside down. Owners, coaches, fought with players. Think Keanu Reeves. It was a reality in 1987.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/media/photo/2007-10/32981615.jpg

Miami Dolphins quarterback Dan Marino walks a picket line during the 1987 NFL Players Strike outside Joe Robbie Stadium prior to a game in which the NFL used replacement players.

Regular NFL players went through the '87 offseason and preseason without a collective bargaining agreement. They wanted more guaranteed revenues, free agency, a rookie salary scale and better pension benefits.

The replacements that year earned $4,000 a game. They didn't make what the pros did but they wore the same jerseys and were just a dedicated.

At first only a few crossed the picket lines, by the third week more than 150 people crossed. The strike ended soon after that but it would take another five years to sign a new collective bargaining agreement.

So now....look back I have two questions for you....

1. First off how much do you remember about the strike and anything you want to share?

2. What are your thoughts on the owners using Replacement players that year?

MDSteel15
10-16-2007, 02:18 AM
I remember it and I thought then that they should have finished the season with the so called "scrubs"! They played better than the regulars for some of the teams!

black an gold 4 life
10-16-2007, 02:59 PM
i rember the strike real good, i an i thought it was an joke all these no name players, it didn't seem like the nfl more like nfl europa LOL LOL LOL, i just glad it's over an i hope it doesn't happens again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GoBenGo
10-17-2007, 08:02 PM
I remember it and I thought then that they should have finished the season with the so called "scrubs"! They played better than the regulars for some of the teams!
Three of my friends from college played. They got some stink for it , but all in all they were grateful for the opportunity. One , named Harris, who was actually able to stay on roster with the giants. It was neat watching guys I knew play and have a shot. That is all a true competitor asks for, a shot.:yesnod: