PDA

View Full Version : Ben's scrambling ability...

BB2W
10-10-2007, 09:50 PM
I know we all are aware of this, but during a season with so many questions on the o-line it is obvious.

I don't know if it is even considered scrambling, but I've always thought Ben's biggest asset was his ability to avoid the rush. At times the guy is like an escape artist and I'm constantly amazed by his ability to break tackles in the pocket. Even if he does get sacked... it is usually not by the first guy. You rarley see him get hit clean.

He has a high number of sacks but it is not due to his lack of effort avoidng the rush.

We need to improve our o-line ASAP because he isn't going to be able to do this forever. Although, it is a very nice thing to have in the mean time.

Props to Ben and his feel for the pass rush! :tt02:

SteelerSteve
10-11-2007, 02:37 AM
I hear you, he is just so strong. It is amazing to see him shake off d-linemen and lb's, I think that Ben is the next Favre, honestly he has everything that favre has and more. I may sound like a homer but when you look at it, Ben has a big arm, scrambling ability, and just such good instincts he is a real pleasure to watch play. I have another question for everyone. Is it me, or is it different to watch steeler's games than other teams in the NFL? I mean aside from being a fan? ever since I started watching football, it is just apparent that they are a very special team, and the best team in the history of the league.

BBG7
10-11-2007, 09:54 AM
great post and so true! Ben is able to buy some time and make a play, but what is impressing me most is he seems to now throw the ball away instead of trying to make something out of nothing if there is no one to go to!

steelcurtaingal
10-11-2007, 10:03 AM
I hear you, he is just so strong. It is amazing to see him shake off d-linemen and lb's, I think that Ben is the next Favre, honestly he has everything that favre has and more. I may sound like a homer but when you look at it, Ben has a big arm, scrambling ability, and just such good instincts he is a real pleasure to watch play. I have another question for everyone. Is it me, or is it different to watch steeler's games than other teams in the NFL? I mean aside from being a fan? ever since I started watching football, it is just apparent that they are a very special team, and the best team in the history of the league.

i always felt taht way too. they just a special team. Big ben has grown so much, (in football terms), and he does do excellent at avoiding the rush:yesnod:

floodcitygirl
10-11-2007, 10:32 AM
True......Ben does have a high number of sacks but look how many he has avoided?! It's amazed me, too, how many situations he's been able to get out of.

BBG7
10-11-2007, 10:40 AM
Bottom line is the O-line needs to get it together and give him a little breathing room. He is big and strong and is usually able buy some time, but he shouldn't have this much.

floodcitygirl
10-11-2007, 10:51 AM
Bottom line is the O-line needs to get it together and give him a little breathing room. He is big and strong and is usually able buy some time, but he shouldn't have this much.So right! That has been giving me heart palpitations as much as anything, during the games, so far this season.

Dee Mca
10-11-2007, 11:23 AM
Where has our O-line gone? I mean besides Hartings who are we missing From the Super Bowl XL team. Ben was only sacked 23 times that year. Unless I'm mising some one only person I can think of is Hartings. The sacks on Ben aren't all coming straight up the middle so it can't be all Mahan. I'm just glad that Ben has matured enough to know you don't always have to try and complete a pass you can throw it away. If he hadn't im sure he could easily top last seasons 23 picks. Hopefully with this week off they can work the problems out.

FC FURY
10-11-2007, 01:01 PM
Ben is a big boy...Hes a legit 6-5 240.

Ben also has great balance...Great feet

Ben has an uncanny feel for the rush..He feels it before its there..then he scrambles to the right spot to buy time

Ben takes sacks he doesnt need to by buying time this way...Resulted in an additional 12 sacks surrendered last season.

BUT

How many plays does Ben make by being Houdini?

Onto the Oline.

I am passionate about Oline play...I try to grade the Oline every week.

-Smith is solid for the most part. He played poorly 1 game this year...Cards

-Faneca is not the player he was(He was the baddest man "inside" in the NFL for about 5 years)...Faneca never developed his technique...He didnt have too...He was bigger stronger tougher then the guy he was lining up across from...He kicked *** and took names....Age caught up with him...He never learned his craft...He needs to change his game...If he does he could play another 5 years...2 at a Pro Bowl level...And head into the Hall of Fame.

-You will struggle to find a bigger fan of Jeff Hartings then me...Sean Mahan isn't great...He isn't Hartings...Dawson...Webster...Mansfield....Mahan is a battler...He is a cog...A quality cog...He isnt a weakness...I consider Mahan a quality signing

-Kendoll Simmons freaking blows...He is the worst starter in the NFL...I have hated Simmons since his Auburn days..He flat out sucks. Kemo has earned a fair shot....Let performance dictate who the starter is.

-Willie Colon is a below Avg Run blocker...He is way below Average for a Rt in the NFL run blocking. He is suppose to be a great pass blocker...I don't see it.Colon has allowed 5sacks in 5 games.

Colon is on pace to allow 16 sacks in 16 games

Those numbers don't lie.

It will never happen....

I would like to see Kemo and Starks on the Right side of the Oline.

Both can run block...Kemo is fine in Pass Pro...Starks is healthy...I believe he can handle the pass blocking aspect.

Steelers could ground and Pound teams...They could run into 9 man fronts with the correct Oline combo

Steelers pass the ball to gain the lead.

The Steelers then jam the ****in ball down teams throats with the run game:helmet:

SteelerSal
10-11-2007, 01:10 PM
-Faneca is not the player he was(He was the baddest man "inside" in the NFL for about 5 years)...Faneca never developed his technique...He didnt have too...He was bigger stronger tougher then the guy he was lining up across from...He kicked *** and took names....Age caught up with him...He never learned his craft...He needs to change his game...If he does he could play another 5 years...2 at a Pro Bowl level...And head into the Hall of Fame.

If he is able to do this...it will not be in a Steelers uniform, unfortunately.
As for Kemo starting, I used to think it was Cowher holding him back but this season with Tomlin I think it's the performance from monday thru saturday that we don't see thats keeping him off the field.:scratch:

Iron City South
10-11-2007, 01:46 PM
-You will struggle to find a bigger fan of Jeff Hartings then me...Sean Mahan isn't great...He isn't Hartings...Dawson...Webster...Mansfield....Mahan is a battler...He is a cog...A quality cog...He isnt a weakness...I consider Mahan a quality signing

Fair assessment of Mahan. However, I for one believe he can develop into one of the elite centers in the league knowing he's just getting back into a position he once knew well.

Stlrs4Life
10-11-2007, 10:12 PM
Ben is a big QB, and thank goodness for his scrambling abilities considering our OL.

DIESELMAN
10-11-2007, 10:29 PM
Fair assessment of Mahan. However, I for one believe he can develop into one of the elite centers in the league knowing he's just getting back into a position he once knew well.

Don't know about elite but who knows. This is his first year in our system, wait till next year and see if he gets better. I think he will and will be our starting C for a while. As far as Ben's escapability.....like some of you mentioned, hes a big boy, it would take more then a arm tackle to bring him down. His quick feet and instincts are taking over in games, he couldn't do that last year cuz he had to much crap runnin through his mind. Definitely getting back to #1 draft pick form. :bigthumb:

SteelersWoman
10-12-2007, 03:19 AM
Getting hold of Ben is like getting hold of a greased pig lol
Love to watch the amazing situations he manages to get himself out of. It actually shocks me when I see him go down!

BB2W
10-12-2007, 07:57 PM
As FC said, his ability to feel the rush is most impressive and is the primary reason he is able to avoid sacks.

I actually think Ben's physique helps him in this regard as well. He's not the most muscular guy... kinda soft really. I think this helps his flexabilty and it helps in getting him out of tight spots quickly. Sometimes he is able to contort his body or just move sideways in a way that shocks me for a man his size. If he was more muscualr his movements would be much more stiff.

Carson Palmer is a great physical specimen at the quarterback postiton, but when the rush is on he has little chance of escaping and when touched he goes down like Tom Brady in a circle jerk.

Ben's movements for a man his size may also be attributed to his abilty to play other sports well at a young age. I think playing point gaurd in basketball and shortstop in baseball helped his athletisism.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-12-2007, 08:46 PM
It's such a joy to watch him elude the rush by feeling the pressure and being able to step up or just run away from it and still make a positive gain on the play. Last year he was just getting pounded before he could even get started but this year he has come a long way in terms of sensing where the pressure is coming from and making a lot more wise decisions.

BB2W
10-12-2007, 09:25 PM
but this year he has come a long way in terms of sensing where the pressure is coming from and making a lot more wise decisions.It does seem like he is making better decisions on the run. :yesnod:

GoBenGo
10-13-2007, 10:05 AM
God Bless Big Ben! He is a true athlete. Don't forget, he played wide reciever up until his senior year of HS. His understanding of the reciever position has helped mold him into the star he is. It mirrors the advantage Hines has, having been a succsessful athletic QB. His only downfalls, other than anomalies, have been when he tries to do too much, and holds the ball too long. That is happening fewer and fewer times, notice.
6'5" 230 with better than average speed, strong arm, high intelligence, and tremendous coachability.He sheds LB's and DLinemen like it is second nature, and DB's don't even want to attck him one on one! We are now in what amounts to his Junior year here, last year toss out to flukeness. And if you judge his learning curve by his history. THIS IS WHEN THE MAGIC STARTS!
CASE IN POINT:
Ben's junior season represented a "quantum leap forward" with regard to his comfort and command of the offense, according to Hoeppner.
Dudes, Gals, we've only just begun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BRICKTOWN BEAST
10-17-2007, 04:17 PM
Yeah If you looked at every QB in the league Ben has to be the strongest QB in the league. He has a great arm and can be very accurate now he is even getting smarter soon people will be talking and the youngest QB to win the superbowl might be the best QB in Steelers history

GoBenGo
10-17-2007, 04:48 PM
Yeah If you looked at every QB in the league Ben has to be the strongest QB in the league. He has a great arm and can be very accurate now he is even getting smarter soon people will be talking and the youngest QB to win the superbowl might be the best QB in Steelers history
That's exactly where I'm at!
Best QB in the league. Would you rather have anyone else? Hell No!
Future Hall of Famer.
lock him in now!!
And it's just going to get better!
I hope we keep him here for the next 14 years.
The doubters, well , they just don't know. they will:yesnod:

SteelerSteve
10-17-2007, 06:34 PM
That's exactly where I'm at!
Best QB in the league. Would you rather have anyone else? Hell No!
Future Hall of Famer.
lock him in now!!
And it's just going to get better!
I hope we keep him here for the next 14 years.
The doubters, well , they just don't know. they will:yesnod:Best QB in the league is right, there is no way I would rather have Brady, or Palmer. Imo Manning is the only one that compares cause he is so smart. At 6'5" 241 he is one of the biggest QB's in the league, and he has great mobility. I dont know about him being "soft":lol: I am sure he has plenty of muscle, he may not have the muscle tone Brady Quinn has, but he is way stronger than most QB's I would probably consider him closer to a Jamarcus Russell type, though not exactly. I also would love for him to retire in black and gold.

GoBenGo
10-18-2007, 11:34 AM
I dont know about him being "soft" I am sure he has plenty of muscle, he may not have the muscle tone Brady Quinn... :bluelol::bluelol::bluelol: SOFT:lol::lol: The guy is money! Big ,strong, mobile, and highly intelligent! Fire tested! This is the QB that took the lowest seed team through the playoffs, in enemy territory, and owned it!Marched through like Hannibal! Won the Big Prize! No One Has ever done that, period.
Ben soft:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
And eff Brady Quim. Unproven, pretty-boy, clip-board engineer. Raised like a veal. That is my definition of SOFT!
Let them doubt, SS, we know reality.:cope::cope::cope:

BB2W
10-18-2007, 07:51 PM
By "soft"... I meant not a lot of mussle tone. Before the accident and appendectomy he was borderline out of shape.

SteelerSteve
10-19-2007, 01:29 AM
And eff Brady Quim. Unproven, pretty-boy, clip-board engineer. Raised like a veal. That is my definition of SOFT!
Let them doubt, SS, we know reality.:cope::cope::cope:You know what I like you:lol: You have the passion that I like to see. I always thought I was Big Bens Biggest fan, but you know your stuff. lol at Quinn being raised like veal, so was Palmer. That is why he has never had success in the games that mattered, he is a good QB but Ben is an amazing talent and he has faced so much adversity, even death. Ben is a winner and a superstar and his time will come:tt02::tt02::cope::cope: